2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly on his way back to Birmingham where he scored 5 in 14 on loan. 

Taylor still doesn't suit our current style of play, so what's the point. I'd rather stick Wickham on an incentivised 'prove yourself' contract til the end of January. At least he's physical enough to hold the ball up on his own. It'd be a shop window for him as well to get a longer deal with us or someone else. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Supposedly on his way back to Birmingham where he scored 5 in 14 on loan. 

Taylor still doesn't suit our current style of play, so what's the point. I'd rather stick Wickham on an incentivised 'prove yourself' contract til the end of January. At least he's physical enough to hold the ball up on his own. It'd be a shop window for him as well to get a longer deal with us or someone else. 

Let Taylor go back to Brum…

Taylor was useless at United so never built up a dislike of him. If anything it was amusing that he proved to be decent a few years later. Not sure where he’s at now but does tend to at least get a few goals. As others have said he seems similar to what we have if he’s lost a bit of the speed he used to have but id bet he would’ve got on the end of one of the Fletcher chances the other night. It does seem a bit, see what we can get and see what sticks though.

9 minutes ago, TheExile said:

Taylor was useless at United so never built up a dislike of him. If anything it was amusing that he proved to be decent a few years later. Not sure where he’s at now but does tend to at least get a few goals. As others have said he seems similar to what we have if he’s lost a bit of the speed he used to have but id bet he would’ve got on the end of one of the Fletcher chances the other night. It does seem a bit, see what we can get and see what sticks though.

Another closet pig

4 hours ago, TheExile said:

Going back to his Wimbledon stint, in non league / league 2, he was sharp, a proper goalscorer and one of those who just felt like he could either score, or set someone up in every game. And I wasn't surprised when he went to Charlton. 

And this is no disrespect to him now, because if we sign him and he's in our shirt then I hope he does well of course, but I just don't see him being the answer. We're heading towards the third month of the season and no other club has snapped him up. There are SOMETIMES rough diamonds out there that get missed, but he's 33, and us going for him probably says more about where we're at in terms of our squad than the player himself.

8 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Going back to his Wimbledon stint, in non league / league 2, he was sharp, a proper goalscorer and one of those who just felt like he could either score, or set someone up in every game. And I wasn't surprised when he went to Charlton. 

And this is no disrespect to him now, because if we sign him and he's in our shirt then I hope he does well of course, but I just don't see him being the answer. We're heading towards the third month of the season and no other club has snapped him up. There are SOMETIMES rough diamonds out there that get missed, but he's 33, and us going for him probably says more about where we're at in terms of our squad than the player himself.

Fair points. I think our transfer strategy in that regard ie strikers has tended to gravitate toward a name or reputation (Winnall excepted) rather than a younger player and we need a bit of a succession plan up front. However, if we are now in a short term fight and he adds anything t it may be worth it. Has experience of what’s going on here at Birmingham previously and was reasonably popular there from what I can tell. 

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

And the only player to get a shot on target for us.

Not technically correct, Tee, though I'm not surprised they missed it.   In that bit of pressure and half chances  that saw several of the old guard brought on, an effort was blocked in or around their 6 yard box. It fell to Pato who hit it on target but it was immediately blocked & flew just over, right in front of us. 

Edited by Owling_Wolf

Just now, Andyben said:

So out of everyone available now could Connor Wickham improve us if a new manager came in, or is there enough in the squad to get to 19th place come April /May?

They are being badly coached, but I genuinely fail to see there is enough ability in the squad to achieve that. The spell 5 minutes after HT was potentially one of the most shambolic spells I have ever witnessed. 

1 minute ago, Andyben said:

I disagree.

I well drilled squad with everyone knowing their role, with some pashun and leadership is often good enough for a top half finish or punt at play offs.

Demlot got to Prem with third division players, it's achievable 

I will accept that the confidence is shot to pieces so the judgement is hard to make. 

I will accept that playing out from the back exacerbates the mistake making.

But their basic skills seem lacking and fitness levels are not on a par with the division.

I have real doubts a new manager could change it enough. 

29 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Not technically correct, Tee, though I'm not surprised they missed it.   In that bit of pressure and half chances  that saw several of the old guard brought on, an effort was blocked in or around their 6 yard box. It fell to Pato who hit it on target but it was immediately blocked & flew just over, right in front of us. 

It would count on the stats as a blocked shot wouldn't it? 

15 hours ago, Andyben said:

I disagree.

I well drilled squad with everyone knowing their role, with some pashun and leadership is often good enough for a top half finish or punt at play offs.

Demlot got to Prem with third division players, it's achievable 

We lack leaders throughout the team.

The only two in that squad would be Ihiekwe and Vaulks, and in the case of Vaulks, you are weakening the team.

I have been surprised by the physicality of the league and also think we are lacking in players with brute power, and we still have no legs both in terms of fitness and athleticism. You can see that in how easily teams get the ball off us, break and then create overloads.

But, I do 100% agree that a decent coach can make us hard to play against and tighten us up.

What you need is a strong spine. A decent keeper, two decent centre halves, two decent midfield players and a decent striker. We MAY have a decent keeper, we may have two decent centre halves, I think we still have an issue in the center of midfield and a we are desperately missing a championship quality striker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Mark said:

@Tylluan

You need to get your contacts at Wednesday onto a lad at Stockport. Louie Barry. Only on loan there from Villa, this lad is going places. I reckon Villa will loan him out to maybe a championship club.

Only 20 but lookslike he's got the lot. Like a quick Fernando 

Ha ha you only just heard about him? Been around a while, struggled at any level above where he is now.