2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

1 hour ago, Skamp said:

Do you know what ostensibly means?

It's an odd fit here.

Yes. 😀

For clarity many might say that on the face of it £1.3m is too much for a 33 year old of his quality. 

If ipswich have a weakness in this area that Johnson might plug and help them achieve  promotion then they'd likely consider it money well spent even if they then offloaded him in the summer at a significant loss.

Semantics anyway.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

9 hours ago, Reesh said:

Getting rid of arguably the best player form wise in the last 6 weeks is a stupid move.

Not getting rid of players for decent money when we can eg Forestieri has arguably been more stupid a policy over the years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andyben said:

If we an get £1m for a 33 yo I'd snap their hand off 

I’m with you. 
Marv has been good recently and I rate him, but with his age, and that I can’t see him getting another year anyway. I’d say thanks Marv, go enjoy the next few years elsewhere 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Star saying no fee offered yet for MJ. Quoted " ipswich sources saying they would be prepared to pay a nominal fee" however.

Nominal fee for a player in form and fitter than at any time since joining us. No thanks. 

Should tell em to get fucked, grassing bastards.

17 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Been told that Ourselves, Stoke, and Coventry have all been knocked back, by Liverpool. when asking about left back Owen Beck. 

Tricky wee ****. Looked quite flashy going forward while at Dundee. Sportscene didn't show much of his defensive game though, so can't really comment on that.

Got a Hibs player sent off with the most pathetically lightweight 'fall over when brushed' a few weeks back. I didn't know whether to declare him a cheat or enjoy a wry smile, due to it being a Hibby on the receiving end.

In the interests of fair play, I decided he was a typical scouser.

• Haha 2

Sadly the one thing about a transfer window is our knuckle dragging element of our fan base can use it as "lets kick Chansiri"

I mean its usually along the lines of "we've brought nobdy in, he's not having n'other penny from me"

Arsewipes they really are 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

Sadly the one thing about a transfer window is our knuckle dragging element of our fan base can use it as "lets kick Chansiri"

I mean its usually along the lines of "we've brought nobdy in, he's not having n'other penny from me"

Arsewipes they really are 

Already happening - seen one muppet on Twitter already comparing our transfer activity with this time last season, stating our lack of activity allowed Plymouth and Ipswich to gain the upper hand on us - and that the same is going to happen this time around with our close rivals.

I always thought the January transfer window ended on the 31st, not today! 

If I became a billionaire overnight I still wouldn’t touch this club, as the absolute muppet level of some of our support has to be witnessed to be believed!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Already happening - seen one muppet on Twitter already comparing our transfer activity with this time last season, stating our lack of activity allowed Plymouth and Ipswich to gain the upper hand on us - and that the same is going to happen this time around with our close rivals.

I always thought the January transfer window ended on the 31st, not today! 

If I became a billionaire overnight I still wouldn’t touch this club, as the absolute muppet level of some of our support has to be witnessed to be believed!

Yes a common trait is the invention of possible future adverse scenarios, as though they had actually occurred, to fuel rantings against DC 

Every Wednesday fan knows that DC has his flaws but its the relentless hypocrisy and downright dishonesty of his noisiest abusers that irks many,  including me.   

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

Business in January is always far more expensive than it should be so I don't blame the owner for not doing much. You also don't know how much of it is in the hands of the manager either, let's be right we've all said time and again that squad should have walked League 1.

Huddersfield have signed 4 players so we're deffo going down now I'm reading

Also every one of those 4 players would have received a lukewarm reception from the same fans if we had signed them

44 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Extremely nomadic since leaving Arsenal kids. 

A stop off at Swindon before 5 years wandering round the Dutch 2nd tier with 4 clubs but only playing 108 games.  Unattached then signs for Puskas in Hungary 

Since Röhl came in January has been more about getting a better keeper and strikers who can play his way which we have done so I don’t really get the panic from some other platforms that we haven’t signed a whole new team as that was never happening and there’s not much money in the championship currently for clubs to be aggressive. In some windows we have only brought in 1/2 on the final day so I expect that to be the same taking the total to 3/4 over the window. Suspect Johnson will have had head turned though and we may need to replace him unexpectedly which may also be why Rohl is not wanting to talk as freely.

1 hour ago, TheExile said:

Since Röhl came in January has been more about getting a better keeper and strikers who can play his way which we have done so I don’t really get the panic from some other platforms that we haven’t signed a whole new team as that was never happening and there’s not much money in the championship currently for clubs to be aggressive. In some windows we have only brought in 1/2 on the final day so I expect that to be the same taking the total to 3/4 over the window. Suspect Johnson will have had head turned though and we may need to replace him unexpectedly which may also be why Rohl is not wanting to talk as freely.

Still crying out for a centre back, LB, holding midfielder & a striker....

Diaby is a complete donkey - who ever sanctioned that deal seriously needs sacking

25 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Still crying out for a centre back, LB, holding midfielder & a striker....

Diaby is a complete donkey - who ever sanctioned that deal seriously needs sacking

Yeah I don’t rate Bambo Diaby as he will have more bad games than good. Plays as an individual 

I think we do need those positions but whether we can realistically integrate all that in January I’m not sure

• Like 1

Just now, Owling_Wolf said:

Assuming you don't want us to make a long list, why don't we wait and see? 

The list isn’t long, and January is a notoriously difficult window, I’d like to see two more in, a dynamic midfielder and a solid centre half

17 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Any idea on the bid Tee?

Smith & Gregory clearly not in Rohl's plans going forward 

It’s a loan apparently, according to the local journos.

so the ‘bid’ will be the percentage of his wages.

Theyre also saying Ipswich are now looking at a free for Neymarv!

17 hours ago, Theman said:

Realistically who would come to us, relegation battle ?

Who wouldn't want to come to us? 20K+ every home game. Proud club with a proper ground and history.

So what if it's a relegation battle? Are they men or mice?

If they're men, welcome aboard.

If they're mice, they can squeak the fuck off and join Forest Green.

• Like 3

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-marvin-johnson-ipswich-town-4486623

I understand the need to wheel and deal but arguably our best performing player currently on a free? Hope not.

Wonder what DR means by this exactly?....

"In the transfer window anything is possible in both directions. What is clear is that he is a starter at the moment, he has a lot of running forward, he has made improvements in defence and he is a good left full-back for us and he is helpful. In the end some decisions are on the other table, not my table."

Putting aside what happened yesterday, which is hard I know, but do we think there will be any more incoming?
I suspect we need to get some off the wage bill before there’s any chance of any incomings. I’m also intrigued as DRs stance on whether they have to better than what we have or would he settle better than anyone leaving.

19 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Putting aside what happened yesterday, which is hard I know, but do we think there will be any more incoming?
I suspect we need to get some off the wage bill before there’s any chance of any incomings. I’m also intrigued as DRs stance on whether they have to better than what we have or would he settle better than anyone leaving.

Considering we’ve been supposedly close to signing Coventry and the Danish striker, it would seem we’re able to add before anyone leaves. 

• Like 1

We’ve been turned down by a few. Rohl alluded to this last week and at the weekend. He’s been trying to get a central midfield player and another forward, and he’s been linked with a couple of left backs.

Based on that, I’d assume he wants another three in.

I’d expect there may need to be some players going out. So if Smith and Gregory are two of those players, then so be it. I only see Johnson going if it’s a cash deal and if we can bring a similar player in at the same time, but I think the player owns that situation.