2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

Same initials as a failed manager though, it would have been doomed.

Never worry about a player that never joins

Never worry about a player that leaves 

Carry Conk?

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Alan Nixon is suggesting that talks between us and Derby have taken place in relation to Michael Smith going there way. But wages are the stumbling block. 

And not his ability to hit a barn door 

29 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Alan Nixon is suggesting that talks between us and Derby have taken place in relation to Michael Smith going there way. But wages are the stumbling block. 

He can go for me, need better if you we want to be challenging in the Championship 

9 hours ago, Andyben said:

Just the 24 goals for us in Div 3 last season  under Darren Mogadon not good enough?

I mean he only came to us for the money. Why else would you leave a team promoted to the Championship for one in League 1. Its certainly not ambition or testing yourself. 

Though he has looked well below Championship standard.

Sadly our signing of him was totally indicative of the short termism approach to recruitment. The money would have been better directed on someone younger and likely to make an impact higher up.

5 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I mean he only came to us for the money. Why else would you leave a team promoted to the Championship for one in League 1. Its certainly not ambition or testing yourself. 

Though he has looked well below Championship standard.

Sadly our signing of him was totally indicative of the short termism approach to recruitment. The money would have been better directed on someone younger and likely to make an impact higher up.

So he dropped a division to us for the money, but he's dropping a division to Derby because he's not championship standard?

OK...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Smith did a job for us last season. He helped us to promotion. 
Our current style of play, and his, don’t match. I’d let him go, allow him to play somewhere else and continue his career with a big thanks for what you did. 

Our style of play last season didn't suit him either.

8 minutes ago, Andyben said:

So he dropped a division to us for the money, but he's dropping a division to Derby because he's not championship standard?

OK...

And he will probably get the same wages either way.

I don't particularly have an issue with Smith, it's more it smacked of the short termism that pervaded the Club. 

Great, get out of League 1 then scratch out arse and hope for the best in the Championship

Smith has his limitations but he’s still scored a similar amount to anyone else this season without even really playing. Hull also wanted to sign him when we did. I think all teams need that option of a forward for certain games. I like him as a player but I can understand why we might move him on if he’s expensive and not playing. It would just be better if we still had the option of using him again if we went down. Perfect for the spine of the team in L1

1 hour ago, TheExile said:

Smith has his limitations but he’s still scored a similar amount to anyone else this season without even really playing. Hull also wanted to sign him when we did. I think all teams need that option of a forward for certain games. I like him as a player but I can understand why we might move him on if he’s expensive and not playing. It would just be better if we still had the option of using him again if we went down. Perfect for the spine of the team in L1

I’d prefer for us to plan for staying in Championship than keep him in case we go down. Getting his wages off the books gives Rohl more options. If we kept him and went down, I still don’t think Rohl would use him. We didn’t play a style that suited him last season (not in the way that Rotherham did); this season even less so. 

39 minutes ago, Supercockle said:

I’d prefer for us to plan for staying in Championship than keep him in case we go down. Getting his wages off the books gives Rohl more options. If we kept him and went down, I still don’t think Rohl would use him. We didn’t play a style that suited him last season (not in the way that Rotherham did); this season even less so. 

True. If a loan freed up wages for another loan that might work and I agree we need to try and stop up. But there’s a lot of uncertainty if we do go down. Would that coaching team stay? The only person obliged to would be a proven striker still under contract. We’d need experienced spine to help some promising younger players.

10 minutes ago, TheExile said:

True. If a loan freed up wages for another loan that might work and I agree we need to try and stop up. But there’s a lot of uncertainty if we do go down. Would that coaching team stay? The only person obliged to would be a proven striker still under contract. We’d need experienced spine to help some promising younger players.

Do you want the towel back that you've just chucked in?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

Do you want the towel back that you've just chucked in?

We can stay up and I’d like to think we will. But a lack of considering what might come next has been an issue at the club for a while. We could play well for the rest of the season and still need a result at Sunderland thanks to Xisco. 20 goal a season strikers are hard to find at any level so hedging our bets is the best strategy and if/when we stay up then move players like that on.

Edited by TheExile

18 hours ago, TheExile said:

We can stay up and I’d like to think we will. But a lack of considering what might come next has been an issue at the club for a while. We could play well for the rest of the season and still need a result at Sunderland thanks to Xisco. 20 goal a season strikers are hard to find at any level so hedging our bets is the best strategy and if/when we stay up then move players like that on.

Not thinking about what might come next isn’t something that I think DR will suffer from, like DM clearly did. 

10 hours ago, Andyben said:

Dan Gore available to loan from Man U.

Would be an upgrade on Coventry and wouldn't cost a slot in the 25 man squad list.

He's been in there match day squad a few times and been on twice. 

We'd have to sign him as an u21 loan for him not to be counted in our 25. It's been done before but it's dodgy 

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

He's been in there match day squad a few times and been on twice. 

We'd have to sign him as an u21 loan for him not to be counted in our 25. It's been done before but it's dodgy 

Hughill would have been good too, but if Gore goes to L1 then I'd start talks with Man U about taking both for a full season in July.

• Like 1

Strange one for Ipswich, unless they have injuries down the left. 

If this is part of shuffling our pack no issue with it. It only becomes as issue if no replacement comes in as we are pretty light in that position as it is

26 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Strange one for Ipswich, unless they have injuries down the left. 

If this is part of shuffling our pack no issue with it. It only becomes as issue if no replacement comes in as we are pretty light in that position as it is

Getting rid of arguably the best player form wise in the last 6 weeks is a stupid move.

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/alex_crook

Ipswich might pay ostensibly over the odds if it helps them get promoted. If this bloke is right we are baulking because DR sees him as a key player in our survival fight. If we get a suggested (in some quarters) £1.3m and invest well in a younger version then possibly win/win for both clubs.

Would be one in the eye for those that panned DC (including local media) for declining Derby's free transfer attempt.

2 minutes ago, Andyben said:

If we an get £1m for a 33 yo I'd snap their hand off 

My first thoughts too. Rumoured that Ipswich are still keen though and talks ongoing. The arbiter would surely be whether we can use the money to get a younger left sided replacement of required quality. 

Surely if there was a younger, better version of Neymarv available for c£1.3m Ipswich would be buying him?

The only reason to sell is that we have a player we think can come in and perform better or Johnson doesn't suit how we want to play and we can use the money to strengthen another area.

I'd have their hand off for £1.3m, but can't imagine we've been offered anything like that, probably an extremely zero somewhere 

10 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Reesh's age is getting to him.   Thinks our Keeper is doing our recruitment.  Saying that it would be a step up from the Chairmans Son.

The Chairman's son who you follow on social media?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

https://twitter.com/alex_crook

Ipswich might pay ostensibly over the odds if it helps them get promoted. If this bloke is right we are baulking because DR sees him as a key player in our survival fight. If we get a suggested (in some quarters) £1.3m and invest well in a younger version then possibly win/win for both clubs.

Would be one in the eye for those that panned DC (including local media) for declining Derby's free transfer attempt.

Do you know what ostensibly means?

It's an odd fit here.

Edited by Skamp