2023/24 Wednesday transfer thread...

10 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Derby intrested in signing Lee Gregory on loan till the end if the season if they fail to land Smith.

Stumbling block is apparently they can't afford Gregory's wages....

Surely that would be the same with Smith?!

Probably why they’ve moved on to Gregory.

It’s always a bad market to buy in, in Jan. It’s what I would call a desperation window. Either to stop up or challenge to go up. Those clubs who generally won’t go up or down won’t touch the window apart from maybe getting people out.

Sadly we are in that desperate state where we need signings to have any chance of staying up - which inflates the player value in terms of loans and perms. There’s always an influx of late deals today and tomorrow because generally the buying club accepts the inflated deal and goes ahead. 

Let’s see if Rohl and DC have got plans B, C and D to fall back on.

I expect that we’ll try have to exploit the loan market at this late stage of the window.

I know we have a list of targets but don’t know how far those other discussions have got. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Snap said:

All eyes on the directors box tonight is it?  Everyone on Scott Hogan watch? Think I'd rather save the money for the end of the season than to gamble it, we still have a great chance with what we have. Last thing we need is another Jeff farking Hendrick.

No I'll be watching the pitch.

And going down is likely to cost us much more money than this window will.

39 minutes ago, Reesh said:

No I'll be watching the pitch.

And going down is likely to cost us much more money than this window will.

Just over 10 million will be wiped out just through TV and solidarity payments, and that’s before we look at the attendance hit.

Relegation will be catastrophic this season, the wage bill will need to come down, I don’t see Rohl and his staff staying and we’d need a monstrous rebuild in the summer based on the number of out of contract players we have. The cumulative effect of 2 years out of the last three in the Championship will have a massive effect on our budget because of those lower revenues.

• Like 1

But to counter that. If we stay up, and we continue to be cautious with spend and build over two years, we will be very rosy off the pitch. Our wage bill as it stands now is peanuts compared to the rest of the division, and DC has clearly been diligent in keeping that down.

5 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

But to counter that. If we stay up, and we continue to be cautious with spend and build over two years, we will be very rosy off the pitch. Our wage bill as it stands now is peanuts compared to the rest of the division, and DC has clearly been diligent in keeping that down.

It will be peanuts, once those contracts run down at the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

And then we'll have to pay again. Don't stay or move up this league paying peanuts unless you get very lucky.

But at least we'll be paying Championship players Championship wages, instead of what we have now 

Moneyball philosophy, and the reality is there would not be much deviation between the wage league table and the league table.

There will of course be outliers. So a good system of player recruitment, or a good manager will mean you can over achieve.

A bang average manager or long term injuries can lead to undershooting that eg Moore last season probably had the top budget, perhaps Ipswich beat that 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:
On 30/01/2024 at 15:13, HoylandOwl said:

Something of a difference in the figures being quoted.

The adjournment in the High Court in Delhi having no impact then?!

Media just make up transfer fees half the time or base them on gossip. They then get treated as gospel. However when an untried player costs 2-4m or Al Hamadi also fetched millions that shows how difficult it is.

We have to invest to stay in this league now due to bad start, that’s obvious. If we go down we lose revenue which as suggested costs about 8m. 

However an interesting concept was one raised by Accrington’s owner a couple of years ago. It’s more sustainable to be in L1 than in Championship as the wages to stay in this league generate huge losses whereas in L1 less so. At least in the context of those in the middle and lower reaches of the table but our losses came down to 10-7m?

With some higher earners likely leaving and relying on younger team going down might actually save Chansiri money in terms of wages and overall losses to be covered. We might just not get promoted easily or quickly and need to develop players like Sunderland.

. It seems like at the start of this season DC tested out whether a cheaper budget could pay dividends but with the wrong manager it’s not worked but with rohl is has been better. Coventry and Luton both had lower budgets but good managers. If we are starting to offer money though hopefully it’s a sign that we can do a bit more if we really need to. I guess we will see tomorrow!

2020 to 2023 seasons estimates range from 5 and 7m peaking at 9m for Coventry who have been steady since coming up. Ours was 15-20m at one stage. We are behind the curve on the recruitment and good manager combo but the targets we are looking at make more sense these days 

Luton wage bill for the last season in chmapionship was £10m higher than our current one and was 150% of their income.

Coventry's was just £2m higher than what ours is during the previous season (to May 2022) but they finished 12th that season 

2 minutes ago, TheExile said:

2020 to 2023 seasons estimates range from 5 and 7m peaking at 9m for Coventry who have been steady since coming up. Ours was 15-20m at one stage. We are behind the curve on the recruitment and good manager combo but the targets we are looking at make more sense these days 

I'm guessing that Maguire making the  estimates...

15 minutes ago, Andyben said:

All from open source material 

It was from another source capology - admittedly a quick google  and hadn’t cross checked it. It was Swiss ramble I was looking for.

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/coventry-city-finances-202122

But looking at the accounts they had circa 15m last year in the play off season. An increase on previous years (13m) whereas on our tumble out of the championship we had 30-25m wage bills. So both figures I originally posted were not reflective of actual accounts but the stark contrast still there on what can be achieved with good recruiting and a good manager 

5 minutes ago, TheExile said:

It was from another source capology - admittedly a quick google  and hadn’t cross checked it. It was Swiss ramble I was looking for.

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/coventry-city-finances-202122

But looking at the accounts they had circa 15m last year in the play off season. An increase on previous years (13m) whereas on our tumble out of the championship we had 30-25m wage bills. So both figures I originally posted were not reflective of actual accounts but the stark contrast still there on what can be achieved with good recruiting and a good manager 

No, Coventry's last wage figures are for the previous season when they came 12th. Nothing published for 2022/23

Our waged in same period were £12m albeit in L1 and representative of A 50% decrease on previous season

Edited by Andyben

4 minutes ago, Andyben said:

No, Coventry's last wage figures are for the previous season when they came 12th. Nothing published for 2022/23

Our waged in same period were £12m albeit in L1 and representative of A 50% decrease on previous season

Coventry have come up and stablised in the championship on a 12-15m wage budget as have Luton whilst we have struggled with higher or possibly similar this season or were in the league below. That’s the whole point.

Our wages for this season haven’t even been published yet. 

I haven’t been wrong on any of it those two teams out performed us on wage budgets lower than anything DC had forked out in the championship and even L1 wages at 12m is close to the figures of a stable championship club in Coventry who made the play off final or finished 12th both of which we would snap hands off for currently. 

Fair enough re Luton but again still less than the 25m-30m that had us lower end or mid table or relegated 

1 minute ago, Reesh said:

Luton and Coventry those paragons of virtue that have cheated the system with admin.

Wouldn’t disagree with that. Just a couple of examples of teams who’ve got where we’d like to be without spending fortunes. Especially Coventry to be fair who looked like they were stuck forever and with bad owners. A bit of hope for others. 

6 minutes ago, TheExile said:

Wouldn’t disagree with that. Just a couple of examples of teams who’ve got where we’d like to be without spending fortunes. Especially Coventry to be fair who looked like they were stuck forever and with bad owners. A bit of hope for others. 

Coventry spent 8m on a player this summer.

4 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Coventry spent 8m on a player this summer.

Yeah but they bought Gyokeres cheap and had him in a modest wage structure in making mid table and the playoffs before selling him. Along with Hamer and OHare. Selling two of those funded that investment this summer and we are at the start of that same plan with Gassma, Musaba et al assuming their sell on clauses aren’t too high in favour of PSG/Monaco.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gamblor said:

There’s certainly an opportunity, but the fee that Blackburn agreed could be a bit much for us. 

Agree, very much doubt that we'll be looking to offer anything close to Blackburn's fantasy bid but reports that talks are back on with Orlando. Blackburn blew us out of the water with their offer which now it appears they can't finance.

First Bakinson and now this from Romano. Hadn’t seen him show any interest before.

Not conviced we’d need to match a Blackburn bid that doesn’t exist any longer (for whatever reason). Now he’s here and probably able to speak they might just settle for one of the previous bids. 

Sky probably missing the only interesting transfer saga of the window (even if minor)

1 minute ago, TheExile said:

First Bakinson and now this from Romano. Hadn’t seen him show any interest before.

Not conviced we’d need to match a Blackburn bid that doesn’t exist any longer (for whatever reason). Now he’s here and probably able to speak they might just settle for one of the previous bids. 

Sky probably missing the only interesting transfer saga of the window (even if minor)

Agreed; nor should we IMO. 

Interesting.

We've all seen all sorts of amounts banded around re bids etc. It seemed we had offered 2m or so, similar to Blackburn but there offer was more attractive in a staged payments perspective I assume. 

I saw 5m mentioned today somewhere re Blackburn deal but that likely includes wages, sell on etc.

What gets me thinking is whatever the initial down payment is on the deal then I  presume that we have that cash available so could divert to wages on a loan deal possibly.

It's been a quiet transfer window in general for most clubs but there's every chance we see some interesting ins/outs tomorrow.

UTO