NON Wednesday transfer thread 23/24

Hahaha Twat 

Jordan Henderson deferred Saudi wages to avoid UK tax

Sam Wallace, Chief Football Writer

Jordan Henderson has not yet earned a penny from his short time in Saudi Arabia having deferred salary payments, Telegraph Sport has learnt.

Former Liverpool midfielder Henderson has travelled to Europe to complete a move to Ajax having agreed with the Saudi Pro League club Al-Ettifaq a mutual cancellation of the three-year contract he signed in the summer.

Henderson’s U-turn is set to cost him millions and Telegraph Sport can now reveal that he has left Saudi without earning any of his £350,000-a-week wages to date, with sources close to the player believing he may never be paid for the six months he spent at Al-Ettifaq.

The key reason for the deferral is not entirely clear, but Telegraph Sport understands that it was in part so that he could return to Britain to play for England in the short term, unrestricted by the time limitations placed on those without UK taxpayer status.

Under UK law, an individual is considered resident for tax purposes if they spend more than 90 days in the country.

Henderson is understood to have been advised that up to the end of last year, pro rata he must have spent no more than 21 days in Britain if he wished to be considered non-resident for tax reasons. That limitation in spending time in Britain was the key part of his initial decision to defer any salary payments. Returning to Britain with his young family to visit friends and relatives was also part of the consideration.

As a result, Henderson had not been paid any of the £350,000-per-week salary that he agreed in July. Now that he is leaving Saudi after just six months, it is quite possible that he never will. Sources close to the player say that the expectation is that he will not be paid for the six months he spent in the Saudi Pro League.

On Tuesday morning, he agreed with Al-Ettifaq executives that his contract would be cancelled by mutual agreement and he flew back to Britain. He has an agreement in principle with Ajax to join the Eredivisie club although as of 3pm on Wednesday no announcement had been made as to whether that deal had been concluded.

It is expected that Henderson will explain his reasons behind leaving Saudi at some point although it is clear now that the former Liverpool captain was unhappy with life at the club in the city of Dammam on the Gulf coast.

Saudi Pro League sources insist they do not hold a grudge against Henderson over his departure understand his reasons for wanting to return so quickly.

There is also no suggestion that Henderson’s U-turn will be held against other English players by the Saudi Pro League and its leading clubs.

Sources expressed fears to Telegraph Sport that Saudi clubs would be wary of trying to sign the top English players in future because of Henderson’s decision to quit so quickly.

But this has been dismissed by insiders at the top of the Saudi Pro League, who described the Henderson situation as “small teething problems” and reacted with horror at the suggestion that English players could be snubbed as a result.

Charlton chucking some more money about. Just signed Freddie Ladapo on loan and Port Vale's Uche Ikpeazu is reportedly having a medical. 

Port Vale looked to have wrapped up the loan of Dan Gore from Manchester United 

• Sad 1

Ipswich having trouble finding a new number 9 after Hirst has been ruled out until at least April and Spurs recalled Dane Scarlett 

Blackburn have turned down two offers for Sam Gallagher. Keifer Moore has turned down a loan move. Fulham won't recall Jay Stansfield from Birmingham and unless they offer big money they probably won't get Al-Hamadi from Wimbledon. 

Was listening to TalkSport earlier, and they were talking about the little amount spent this transfer window in comparison to this time last year. 

They were saying, £800M last year, not even £100m so far this January window. And across Europe the spend is much lower too...

Do we think clubs are thinking more about FFP/PRS whatever it's called these days? OR is AFCON and squads being depleted already having more of an impact? 

AFCON and the Asia Cup are having an effect as clubs like Liverpool are currently fielding younger players that might have gone out on loan this time last year. Those loans could generate revenue that, even though small in comparison, would help fund other transfers. The drip down effect also isn't happening. There's no downward movement to the lower leagues because the Prem and Championship clubs aren't bringing in. 

The shadow of Everton's FFP cases is also hanging over several clubs and the EFL has sent 'words of advice' to all league clubs along the lines of "we're watching"

50 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Al-Hamadi move is rumoured to be £10m with all the add ons. 

He's not good enough for the Prem, if they get there. But, then again, I don't think Hirst is either 

Wow that’s incredible for a player who’s done ok in L2. No wonder everyone looks at other markets now 

There were other clubs interested and Ipswich were at rock bottom in their search after being knocked back by several other players. 

A lot of the bonuses are promotion and goal related but there's also a sizeable add on if Wimbledon don't make the playoffs and Al-Hamadi plays so many games for Ipswich 

20 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Alex Pritchard to Birmingham apparently.  

Not good for us adding to their quality and looks as though their Rooney inspired decline will not be enough for us to catch them. 

Following Mowbray.

2 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Alex Pritchard to Birmingham apparently.  

Not good for us adding to their quality and looks as though their Rooney inspired decline will not be enough for us to catch them. 

So. THAT is why he sacked Sunderland off

On 18/01/2024 at 08:22, Andyben said:

Hahaha Twat 

Jordan Henderson deferred Saudi wages to avoid UK tax

Sam Wallace, Chief Football Writer

Jordan Henderson has not yet earned a penny from his short time in Saudi Arabia having deferred salary payments, Telegraph Sport has learnt.

Former Liverpool midfielder Henderson has travelled to Europe to complete a move to Ajax having agreed with the Saudi Pro League club Al-Ettifaq a mutual cancellation of the three-year contract he signed in the summer.

Henderson’s U-turn is set to cost him millions and Telegraph Sport can now reveal that he has left Saudi without earning any of his £350,000-a-week wages to date, with sources close to the player believing he may never be paid for the six months he spent at Al-Ettifaq.

The key reason for the deferral is not entirely clear, but Telegraph Sport understands that it was in part so that he could return to Britain to play for England in the short term, unrestricted by the time limitations placed on those without UK taxpayer status.

Under UK law, an individual is considered resident for tax purposes if they spend more than 90 days in the country.

Henderson is understood to have been advised that up to the end of last year, pro rata he must have spent no more than 21 days in Britain if he wished to be considered non-resident for tax reasons. That limitation in spending time in Britain was the key part of his initial decision to defer any salary payments. Returning to Britain with his young family to visit friends and relatives was also part of the consideration.

As a result, Henderson had not been paid any of the £350,000-per-week salary that he agreed in July. Now that he is leaving Saudi after just six months, it is quite possible that he never will. Sources close to the player say that the expectation is that he will not be paid for the six months he spent in the Saudi Pro League.

On Tuesday morning, he agreed with Al-Ettifaq executives that his contract would be cancelled by mutual agreement and he flew back to Britain. He has an agreement in principle with Ajax to join the Eredivisie club although as of 3pm on Wednesday no announcement had been made as to whether that deal had been concluded.

It is expected that Henderson will explain his reasons behind leaving Saudi at some point although it is clear now that the former Liverpool captain was unhappy with life at the club in the city of Dammam on the Gulf coast.

Saudi Pro League sources insist they do not hold a grudge against Henderson over his departure understand his reasons for wanting to return so quickly.

There is also no suggestion that Henderson’s U-turn will be held against other English players by the Saudi Pro League and its leading clubs.

Sources expressed fears to Telegraph Sport that Saudi clubs would be wary of trying to sign the top English players in future because of Henderson’s decision to quit so quickly.

But this has been dismissed by insiders at the top of the Saudi Pro League, who described the Henderson situation as “small teething problems” and reacted with horror at the suggestion that English players could be snubbed as a result.

Ha ha!  I had to go to Dammam once to buy my first car when I lived over there.  A while back but it looked a shithole compared to my usual haunts on the Gulf coast.  On the other hand, on the money he'd have been earning he could have lived in a villa like a palace.  And even our private  company beaches were like a natural paradise in the right seasons. 

Still, if you can't stick it, don't try!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

thing is @Owling_Wolf he had advice to defer the payment of his wages - otherwise he'd have been taxed in uk on them, but because he's left there before being paid, they saudi team probably wont bother paying him at all

Yes, read that.  Something I remember from my own experiences, quite a few of us - facing a situation very few of us young UK recruits knew anything about, being legitimately tax free - chose to visit our local home tax office to ask advice.  Ten or a dozen arrived together from all over the UK. When we compared notes, the range of responses we'd received was startling.  At one extreme, I was advised how to fill the form in and  another lad was offered them filling it in for him.  At the other, a lad from darn sarf sent his missus in to see them after he'd already left.  They not only refused her any advice, they left her in shreds by saying they'd be looking out for him returning and if they could they'd get him 'nicked'!  😮

I would assume he would have had ready access to better advice than that!   

21 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Yes, read that.  Something I remember from my own experiences, quite a few of us - facing a situation very few of us young UK recruits knew anything about, being legitimately tax free - chose to visit our local home tax office to ask advice.  Ten or a dozen arrived together from all over the UK. When we compared notes, the range of responses we'd received was startling.  At one extreme, I was advised how to fill the form in and  another lad was offered them filling it in for him.  At the other, a lad from darn sarf sent his missus in to see them after he'd already left.  They not only refused her any advice, they left her in shreds by saying they'd be looking out for him returning and if they could they'd get him 'nicked'!  😮

Bollocks 

23 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I was always lucky mate. When left in 1996 prepped HMRC and said been travelling and would not be coming baxk to Sheffield  ever, so t a letter from them, with a cheque, confirm that as no longer resident and had taken a new domiof choice so no more links to UK.

I was 21....

Strong rumour that Blackburn registered him on a full contract and not as an ESG and they can't get a work permit for him. 

If they've bought him on a full contract or loaned him on the same then they can't downgrade the contract for next season either so would still have the same work permit issue. Olympic games don't count towards international call up numbers. 

On 05/02/2024 at 00:17, Tylluan said:

Strong rumour that Blackburn registered him on a full contract and not as an ESG and they can't get a work permit for him. 

If they've bought him on a full contract or loaned him on the same then they can't downgrade the contract for next season either so would still have the same work permit issue. Olympic games don't count towards international call up numbers. 

Not listed in their first team squad... https://www.rovers.co.uk/teams

With this McGuire thing, could a case be made to the EFL by Wednesday?

It's widely known that we needed a striker. Blackburn had to pull out of the buy due to the owners banning fees.

However, this late paperwork thing happened last season too.

McGuire thought everything was done by 22:20, but then they turned up with another at 23:05.

Is there a case to say that Blackburn never actually intended to pay the massively inflated fees that they used to get the deal back on, doing it just ro stop a move to a relegation rival?

Would anything happen even if there was a case?

Could Chansiri take this to court if we get relegated?

20 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

With this McGuire thing, could a case be made to the EFL by Wednesday?

It's widely known that we needed a striker. Blackburn had to pull out of the buy due to the owners banning fees.

However, this late paperwork thing happened last season too.

McGuire thought everything was done by 22:20, but then they turned up with another at 23:05.

Is there a case to say that Blackburn never actually intended to pay the massively inflated fees that they used to get the deal back on, doing it just ro stop a move to a relegation rival?

Would anything happen even if there was a case?

Could Chansiri take this to court if we get relegated?

I understand what you’re saying and it does seem a bit snide that they were in then they were out and then in and then out again… (whooooaaaa Hokey Cokey)

But I can’t see how we have a chance to appeal officially. It would be down to proving they’d not got funds, and after selling Wharton for £20m that doesn’t bode well for us in that regard.

They just f**ked up the process at their end… to me it’s that simple