23/24 kit thread

Just now, Tewksbury said:

Well done Nike.

I didn't think it was possible to make a bad Croatia home kit, but they've managed it.

As with all kits the governing body will have had to have signed off in it and would have been given several designs. 

The Welsh kits are crap but it doesn't matter as I don't think we'll get there. 

The Scotland one is Adidas' nod to tartan but Score Draw have seen a massive uptake of the Euro 96 tartan shirt and the 78 World Cup shirt 

So is it possible to have a multi coloured St George's Cross flag 

Because if the flag is not red n white, then its just a flag, of multi coloured Cross shape design.

Thus not the national flag of England and thus should not be on the national team shirt 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tylluan said:

The Welsh kits are crap but it doesn't matter as I don't think we'll get there. 

The Scotland one is Adidas' nod to tartan but Score Draw have seen a massive uptake of the Euro 96 tartan shirt and the 78 World Cup shirt 

There'll be loads of retro shirts sold ahead of the summer.. Even more so with the price of the current shirt..

38 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Because if the flag is not red n white, then its just a flag, of multi coloured Cross shape design.

Thus not the national flag of England and thus should not be on the national team shirt 

Looks more like Chevrolet.

4 hours ago, mkowl said:

A lot of this woke shite passes me by but this has really annoyed the f**k out of me. 

No other Country would change their countries flag on their shirt to a rainbow / purply blue design.  Would Nike change the stars and stripes on the USA kit - doubt it very much. 

Yet more virtue signalling b*llox to appease the woke nation we have become.   In reality all it is doing is creating further division and increased angst and anger as well as more people getting behind the likes of Joey Barton and Katie Hopkins who are seemingly talking sense on a hell of a lot of things.

1 hour ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

A lot of this woke shite passes me by but this has really annoyed the f**k out of me. 

No other Country would change their countries flag on their shirt to a rainbow / purply blue design.  Would Nike change the stars and stripes on the USA kit - doubt it very much. 

Yet more virtue signalling b*llox to appease the woke nation we have become.   In reality all it is doing is creating further division and increased angst and anger as well as more people getting behind the likes of Joey Barton and Katie Hopkins who are seemingly talking sense on a hell of a lot of things.

See my point is more the St Georges Cross flag is an option within a subset of flags with white backgrounds and coloured crosses. Namely a red stripe in this case

You can’t have a multi coloured St George's Cross flag as that is not a subset per se of flag designs

Edited by mkowl

I wasn’t that bothered about the St. George’s flag to start with but I have to admit I am starting to feel a little incensed about it now.

You don’t piss about changing the colours of a nations flag and, as has been pointed out already, there’ll be some countries flags that Nike wouldn’t have dared to change or fook about with! 

• Like 1

Im very pissed off about it. Can you imagine it happening with any other national team? Fucking disgraceful 

5 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

I wasn’t that bothered about the St. George’s flag to start with but I have to admit I am starting to feel a little incensed about it now.

You don’t piss about changing the colours of a nations flag and, as has been pointed out already, there’ll be some countries flags that Nike wouldn’t have dared to change or fook about with! 

27 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Wonder if they'll change Saudi Green to that nice royal blue you get on the israeli flag

9 minutes ago, Andyben said:

It's because of the reaction to the cross of St George and it's connection to the crusades, nothing else.

We are only one of several nations claiming St. George as their national saint.  Do the others have the same cross as us: if so, the same flag too?  

19 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

We are only one of several nations claiming St. George as their national saint.  Do the others have the same cross as us: if so, the same flag too?  

Not sure those other FAs are a set of woke ***** tho Fred. 

I can’t understand why anyone would pay that price for a shirt,regardless of the flag aspect. It’s a distraction from the rip off price and good publicity at the same time.There’s plenty of people out there who don’t give a toss about our heritage,sadly.

TOFFS make good quality shirts,in this country,for half the price of those shirts.

I don't think the FA realised the connotations when the new cross design was sold to them by Nike. They probably just thought it matched the cuffs. 

As for the bisexual flag Barton makes the resemblance to, surely that's more in line with the new German away kit.

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

I don't think the FA realised the connotations when the new cross design was sold to them by Nike. They probably just thought it matched the cuffs. 

As for the bisexual flag Barton makes the resemblance to, surely that's more in line with the new German away kit.

The original version had a rainbow styled cross but was rejected by the FA

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/03/22/england-shirt-flag-st-georges-cross-nike-two-years-ago/

Edited by Andyben

3 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Genuinely don't see what all the fuss is about. Happened loads of times before and no-one gave a fuck...

img_1_1711230548315.thumb.jpg.6335120360f40193fa7452ea223ab48f.jpg

There's adding random crosses and coming out and saying you've redesigned the flag to make it more inclusive.

There's a difference between adding designs based on the flag and replacing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tewksbury said:

There's adding random crosses and coming out and saying you've redesigned the flag to make it more inclusive.

There's a difference between adding designs based on the flag and replacing it.

Must have missed that, who's come out and said that? What I saw was Nike saying it was paying homage to the 66 training gear.

devil's advocate time...

Good controversy for Nike re the flag to promote Dri FIT ADV shirts that look like Bedford cords on the piss.

there's always method in the madness with these large sportwear comps

On 22/03/2024 at 12:08, Southy_SWFC said:

That might actually kill off a bunch of Tr*mp supporters so I'm all for it. 

Just the opposite, I'm afraid.  It would strengthen them, precisely because they'll be the first ones to come right out and say "fuck that shit right off".  

I loathe Trump, for what it's worth, but this is a perfect example of how/why he gets traction.  

• Like 1

If you did a drop down menu of flags it would be

Flags - By Style - cross design - White backround coloured stripe - red stripe (often referred to as a St George's Cross).

The 3rd drop down does not say "St George's Cross style - then give option for colours.

Hence you can not redesign the St Georges Cross as it is an end of menu option

All Nike have done is create a new menu option in the on a white background with coloured stripe subsection

The FA in agreeing this have simply removed the national flag from the national team shirt

That tweet by Nike is the infuriating thing about this.  Don’t get me wrong, I am not particularly bothered about the flag of St George.  It is not my national flag, that is the Union Jack. But openly boasting on social media about making a “playful update” to it, in the name of fucking whatever, is nauseating corporate arrogance, mixed with the recent trend for corporate virtue signalling.  Doesn’t really matter whether it is the flag of the UK, England, or Yorkshire, who the fuck are Nike to make “playful updates” to it?  Well other than massive corporate sponsors from the country that culturally pollutes the rest of the world, and has been doing for decades.  Despite their awful human rights record, there is a little part of me than actually would quite like to see China replace the Yanks as the World’s number one economy, and this shit is a perfect example of why.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, owl71 said:

That tweet by Nike is the infuriating thing about this.  Don’t get me wrong, I am not particularly bothered about the flag of St George.  It is not my national flag, that is the Union Jack. But openly boasting on social media about making a “playful update” to it, in the name of fucking whatever, is nauseating corporate arrogance, mixed with the recent trend for corporate virtue signalling.  Doesn’t really matter whether it is the flag of the UK, England, or Yorkshire, who the fuck are Nike to make “playful updates” to it?  Well other than massive corporate sponsors from the country that culturally pollutes the rest of the world, and has been doing for decades.  Despite their awful human rights record, there is a little part of me than actually would quite like to see China replace the Yanks as the World’s number one economy, and this shit is a perfect example of why.

Tbh they would steal the flag, make cheap copies of it and then hack into your computer so you buy one. 

6 hours ago, mkowl said:

Tbh they would steal the flag, make cheap copies of it and then hack into your computer so you buy one. 

But they wouldn’t change it because some brand consultant thought it was a good idea, then make anyone who asks “why the fuck did you do that” sound like a drooling bigot.