The Ashes 2023.

owl4ever1867

1 hour ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Gutted!! Absolutely gutted for Jonny Bairstow who is denied his 100 after Jimmy was out LBW.

Bairstow was unbeaten on 99 (81 balls) what an outstanding innings by England.

England 592 all out.

Australia trial England by 275 runs....

Lovely for his average though 😅

• Haha 1

Another day that belongs to England, from minute 1 they were in control, superb batting by Stokes (51) Brook (61) & especially Bairstow(99no) who has been come under fire lately.

England built up a 1st innings lead of 276.

At the end of day 3 Australia were struggling on 113/4 thanks to some superb fast bowling by Mark Wood who got the wickets of Khawaja, Smith & Head with Woakes dismissing Warner.

England head into day 4 hoping the Manchester weather stays clear so they can rip into the Aussies & claim the remaining 6 wickets & win the 4th Ashes Test.....

England lead by 162 runs.

1 hour ago, Fat Eric said:

It's a massive bonus for England to get some play in today, hope we can capitalise on it and make some inroads into them, couple of early wickets and they could capitulate.

Well, after 2 hours play, Labuschagne & Marsh have batted very well, we've been sending down far too many short balls, dead easy for Australia just to leave.

Australia 181/4

Trial England by 94 runs.

Badly need to break this partnership.

Labuschagne 86*

Marsh 26*

Day 4 comes to a close as the rain brings around the abandonment.

During the time play happened, England got the vital wicket of Labuschagne who made an impressive 111 before Root had him caught behind by Bairstow.

Australia finished day 4 on 214/5 & still trial England by 61 runs.

Hopefully the weather gods will help England out tomorrow!

Apologies if this has been mentioned b4 but has anyone seen the doc on prime video called The Longedt Feud?

It's about the "relationships " between Ian Botham and Ozzie captain Ian Chappell.

Fecking Hell. That was intense. I mean REALLY intense. It's was very uncomfortable watch at the end but wow!

25 minutes ago, Mark said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned b4 but has anyone seen the doc on prime video called The Longedt Feud?

It's about the "relationships " between Ian Botham and Ozzie captain Ian Chappell.

Fecking Hell. That was intense. I mean REALLY intense. It's was very uncomfortable watch at the end but wow!

Not seen that! Cheers, I'll put that on my watchlist buddy.

I've seen the clip on YouTube where they met up after 30 years, wow - they hate each other with a passion.

24 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Not seen that! Cheers, I'll put that on my watchlist buddy.

I've seen the clip on YouTube where they met up after 30 years, wow - they hate each other with a passion.

They certainly do. Botham was on the edge of hitting him in the chat. The body language told u all you need 2 know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skamp said:

Only themselves to blame. Could and should have been 3-0 up.

After watching all 4 tests, which have all been entertaining to watch, it's a huge shame we didn't have Mark Wood available for the 1st two tests due to injury, Australia have struggled with his pace massively, he's the only bowler England have who can bowl consistently at 90mph.

My other opinion is England badly lack a Nathan Lyon, a spinner who can put you on the back foot with his spinning & putting the ball in the right areas constantly.

Personally Ali wouldn't have been in the Ashes, he retired - move on, what incentive do other English spin bowlers have who want to play have if they recall up a retired player?

It's been an incredibly close series, one that could've gone either way, hindsight is wonderful thing but in the 1st test, I wouldn't have declared, (you just don't against the Aussies) & our inability to get the tail out following that in which Wood would've played a huge part in doing so hurt us.

The 2nd test started the same way the 1st ended, the conditions at Lords on the first day favored Englands swing bowlers massively but we failed again to capitalize on a great opportunity to get into the Aussies - dropping Warner early on hurt us, he went onto make 66, same with Head he made 77 & Smith a century, catches you win you matches and England failed to do that but the Aussies didn't.

The first 3 days at Old Trafford I've never in all my years of watching cricket seen England better Australia the way we did, they were superb from minute 1 but sadly the English weather put a real dampner on what should've been an exceptional 5 day cricket match.

In hoping that England can dust themselves down & go again 1 last time at the Oval starting on Thursday & tie the series 2-2 it's the very least Stokes & his men deserve.

Let's go to Australia & reclaim the Ashes in style!

England name the same squad to face Australia in the 5th Ashes Test at the Oval starting on Thursday 25th July.

This could be the last time we see the likes of Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad, Chris Woakes & Chris Wood in an England shirt against Australia due to ages catching up with them.

I can see England making a change or two in the bowling attack with either or both Anderson & Broad making way for Tongue and/or Robinson.

On 24/07/2023 at 18:59, LiamOwl said:

I think it might be the last time we see Anderson in an England shirt full stop. 

England have named an unchanged line up.

Broad & Anderson keep their place.

Personally, I'd have dropped Anderson & played Tongue who I thought played very well at Lords.

Well, whilst I was out, Australia have managed to bowl England out for 283.

Brook was Englands top scorer with 85 before he was 1 of Starcs 4 wickets.

A run a ball 36 from Woakes & 26 from 25 from Wood pushed England up towards a decentish score on a wicket that has plenty of bounce & swing in it.

Australia 1st innings is underway & they are currently 22/0 but have had 1/2 very nervy moments - I can see Wood & Woakes being the key bowlers for England in this one.