A New Group of Attention Seekers

Posted (edited)

I was nodding until the "we're still here" bit

what it should have said was

"we apologise for everything, we we wrong and we're going away now"

Edited by nickswfc
  • Like 3

Sad I know but just had a count up of seats available for next season and there's 6,427. 

Now according to the attention seekers on OT, same clan really, 7,000 season ticket holders from last season haven't renewed.  I don't know how they have come up with this figure because even including the T block on North stand and the 2 blocks on South that are rarely available I reckon we have sold similar numbers. 

The only thing I can think off is if they are right is that reserved seats still haven't been made available yet though the deadline for to renew your seat was last Monday. 

5 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

Burst bubble? 1867 statement.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 16.59.23.png

My my, still making this about them - desperate ‘look at me, I’m still relevant’ statement, whilst heading for obscurity 👍

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

Sad I know but just had a count up of seats available for next season and there's 6,427. 

Now according to the attention seekers on OT, same clan really, 7,000 season ticket holders from last season haven't renewed.  I don't know how they have come up with this figure because even including the T block on North stand and the 2 blocks on South that are rarely available I reckon we have sold similar numbers. 

The only thing I can think off is if they are right is that reserved seats still haven't been made available yet though the deadline for to renew your seat was last Monday. 

It was extended to the 3rd

13 hours ago, Tylluan said:

"we also want to see a clear structure off the pitch" Is this not clear enough?

Club Secretary: Lindsey Hinton

Director of Communications: Trevor Braithwait

Executive Head Chef: Rob Cox

Finance Director: John Redgate

General Manager: Alastair Wilson

Head of Community Programme: Marcus Brameld

HR Manager: Louise Carpenter

Operations Manager: Richard Stanford

They just don't fucking get it do they? The FA is happy with the backroom or we wouldn't have an operating licence.

Just because their isn't a football person sitting above DR. If there was then Danny might not have signed on. 

Their complaint is the lack of perceived corporate governance and that the decision making sits totally with Chansiri. 

As someone who works in the SME sector then I totally understand that way of running a company. 

I then struggle to comprehend those with a board of directors, the internal politics and meetings about meetings culture. Jeez I once did take an interest in the Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Trust, saw the governance structure and talk of elections and meetings and ran a mile. For an entity that had income of 4k.

The genuine story of seeing Wednesdayite meeting minutes where the shade of blue to use was an item high on the agenda (to give context the club was on the High Court steps).

I do think the operation of a Championship football club is way too complex for the entire micro decision making to be with Chansiri, the key is that there are decent people in the operational roles and that advisors are adding value.

So perhaps you can learn from other clubs on that front but it does not necessarily mean copying them

4 hours ago, mkowl said:

The genuine story of seeing Wednesdayite meeting minutes where the shade of blue to use was an item high on the agenda 

But did you decide on 5 stripes or 7, though?

The context of my post is that, regardless of who actually makes the decisions, we have the required officers in place to maintain an FA/EFL operating licence; which was one of the scaremongering tactics 1867 plastered on a recent statement and they still allude to it on this latest one 

49 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I thought the current phase was extended but they had released all reserved seats last week. 

What I’ve seen suggests that the system isn’t picking up multi year season tickets. So if all “non-renewed season ticket” seats were to be released, then so would the multi year ones that have already been paid for. Staff are having to block out these seats individually. Hence the delay in releasing reserved seats.

• Thanks 1

I think I've got this right...

We can't protest about Rohl walking anymore, and we can't protest about relegation, so the new rules are we will protest because there isn't a director of football

5 hours ago, nickswfc said:

I think I've got this right...

We can't protest about Rohl walking anymore, and we can't protest about relegation, so the new rules are we will protest because there isn't a director of football

This is the difference  between people with genuine concerns and people with a self fulfilling agenda. Thank fuck their all but dead.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tylluan said:

But did you decide on 5 stripes or 7, though?

The context of my post is that, regardless of who actually makes the decisions, we have the required officers in place to maintain an FA/EFL operating licence; which was one of the scaremongering tactics 1867 plastered on a recent statement and they still allude to it on this latest one 

Thankfully I was never involved at Wednesdayite, the frustration was trying to organise stuff with them. They were more fixated as to what the governance structure of WTID was - the answer was fuck all - but we have ideas etc.

I had no interest in joining a glorified working men's club committee

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Billysboy said:

This is the difference  between people with genuine concerns and people with a self fulfilling agenda. Thank fuck their all but dead.

To play devil's advocate a tad, some of the concerns are probably valid (in a generic way) that owners should not be able to asset strip, move grounds, erase history etc.

I do have empathy that the owner of a football club is only a mere custodian. We have seen that at Bury as the last example, an owner can destroy the legal entity, the actions can demote you to level 10 in the pyramid, but the spirit will always be there. The Club would return. WTID was driven by that ethos.

Now my problem with 1867 was that it was driven by hatred of the owner first and foremost. Was it protecting the Club to hound out the main source of funds that kept us competitive, without any semblance of a plan other than a belief there was a queue of potential investors out there. 

• Like 3

What doesn't help is when the likes of Simon Jordan says things like if he was going to reinvest in a football club it'd be Wednesday because it convinces people there's a queue round the block to buy out DC when there really isn't. It also overlooks the fact that he's got absolutely no clue how to run a football club, but that's another conversation.

30 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

What doesn't help is when the likes of Simon Jordan says things like if he was going to reinvest in a football club it'd be Wednesday because it convinces people there's a queue round the block to buy out DC when there really isn't. It also overlooks the fact that he's got absolutely no clue how to run a football club, but that's another conversation.

It panders to the crowd that still haven't comprehended we have been outside the top division for 25 years 

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen that Sullivan kid when 13 used to post about West Ham transfers .. oh look not the only club then where the son of the an owner posted stuff on social media to alert fans !

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

One of the group main protagonists has said we've sold nearly as many ST's as last season and good old @bazapepshas somehow moaned we aren't selling 30k!

Hope so mate ....... It's as if some of our so called fans are desperate for the sales to be massively down!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

They're ready and waiting for some shit. On a par with Stir "reporters"

The shit will come when the match day categories for walk up prices get announced. It was early July last year and they'll be flexing their fingers ready to explode on Twitter. 

"Sixty five quid for a a Cat A+ game when the pigs are only charging forty??? Fucking Chanser lining his pockets again"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reesh said:

One of the group main protagonists has said we've sold nearly as many ST's as last season and good old @bazapepshas somehow moaned we aren't selling 30k!

And then if we sold 30k be moaning there is no room for POTG 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CasbahOwl said:

Hope so mate ....... It's as if some of our so called fans are desperate for the sales to be massively down!

Usually the ones who have no intention of ever attending but make out their not renewing as some sort of protest against the owner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Reesh said:

It'd be interesting to see how many season tickets we sold in the 'glory years'. The attendances in the 30 years ago thread(s) always surprise me a bit, seems to indicate that gates are pretty static regardless of league/position 

On 06/06/2024 at 16:35, Otto_Man said:

It'd be interesting to see how many season tickets we sold in the 'glory years'. The attendances in the 30 years ago thread(s) always surprise me a bit, seems to indicate that gates are pretty static regardless of league/position 

Chansiri as killed generations of future Wednesday fans - no one can afford to go and watch us any more!!!

Oh 4 of the 8 average attendances at Hillsborough under D.C.  (2 of 8 impacted by Covid) are the highest we’ve seen since penultimate season in the PL. - what’s now feels like a long long time ago.

On 06/06/2024 at 16:35, Otto_Man said:

It's almost impossible to compare and contrast eras on attendances.

Those in the mid 80s were shocking on occasion, combination of the economic times, hooliganism, other leisure activities, probably perceived value for money even then.

Plenty with rose tinted glasses that football was better in them days, no it wasn't. 

The one for our honours board, the day we topped the Premier League and there was about 17k in the stadium

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

Those in the mid 80s were shocking on occasion, combination of the economic times, hooliganism, other leisure activities, probably perceived value for money even then.

Plenty with rose tinted glasses that football was better in them days, no it wasn't. 

The one for our honours board, the day we topped the Premier League and there was about 17k in the stadium

"...hooliganism, other leisure activities..."  🤣

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, mkowl said:

Against Leicester on sky, was bloody freezing too as I recall 

6 hours ago, mkowl said:

All those things are issues now though aren't they? Every decade has had some form of economic downturn (we're in a cost of living crisis as we speak). The point I'm making is; in the last 30 or so years attendances have probably comfortably sat in the 20-25k region, slightly lower if we're doing badly, slightly higher if we're doing well. So all this 30k season ticket nonsense, we've consistently been in the same ball park from what I can see...

7 hours ago, mkowl said:

This I agree with. 

• Like 1

Not sure what’s happened in the last 24 hours but lots of bleating by known 1867 activists that other Wednesday fan groups have rejected the concept of an umbrella group.

Would seem a fan engagement panel took place very recently and as a result of, and I quote “the owner crying on a zoom call” the other groups have drawn into line against the 1867 protest group.

The thing is the criticism coming out on Twitter at least reads like a group who wanted the others to fall behind their narrow view of D.C. ownership - holding him to account via the threat of protests. The other groups are being accused of being in bed  because they have rejected the umbrella - well at least 1867 view of the umbrella group. 

Would seem to me reading “between the lines” which is what this poster always seems to quote anyway that these well established groups prefer to work in open dialogue and direct with the club. They are of sorts an established umbrella group already and probably feel like viewing the club activities outside of short term of pitch results or poor run of results is the most constructive position to take. 

1867 are seemingly fuming and want to make these group conform to their view that DC is the wrong owner - when result are poor is the the time to apply pressure via  promoting  inaccurate claims and aligning us with truly poor ownership elsewhere / when things are going well keep your head down and blame the those fans who don’t support them as the reason for the behaviour.

Anyway sure more will be coming out on other forums in coming days. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, EBRA said:

Not sure what’s happened in the last 24 hours but lots of bleating by known 1867 activists that other Wednesday fan groups have rejected the concept of an umbrella group.

Would seem a fan engagement panel took place very recently and as a result of, and I quote “the owner crying on a zoom call” the other groups have drawn into line against the 1867 protest group.

The thing is the criticism coming out on Twitter at least reads like a group who wanted the others to fall behind their narrow view of D.C. ownership - holding him to account via the threat of protests. The other groups are being accused of being in bed  because they have rejected the umbrella - well at least 1867 view of the umbrella group. 

Would seem to me reading “between the lines” which is what this poster always seems to quote anyway that these well established groups prefer to work in open dialogue and direct with the club. They are of sorts an established umbrella group already and probably feel like viewing the club activities outside of short term of pitch results or poor run of results is the most constructive position to take. 

1867 are seemingly fuming and want to make these group conform to their view that DC is the wrong owner - when result are poor is the the time to apply pressure via  promoting  inaccurate claims and aligning us with truly poor ownership elsewhere / when things are going well keep your head down and blame the those fans who don’t support them as the reason for the behaviour.

Anyway sure more will be coming out on other forums in coming days. 

I had heard about this intention. They wanted to know if WTID would join. Well on the basis WTID has done fuck all since 2011 I couldn't quite understand why a defunct entity would join it. None of us were bothered anyway.

1 hour ago, EBRA said:

An umbrella group will never happen amongst Wednesday supporters groups. For starters there'd be too much arguing about who was going to be in charge. Even if there was a panel with a rep from each group there'd still be the issue of who's 'actually' in charge. 

Then you'd have the issues that @mkowl has already talked about. Real world problems like what shade of blue. Each group has it's own set agenda and that was obvious in the earlier incarnations of the current engagement panel. They couldn't even get their heads together to have a pre-meet to come up with points to bring to the meeting. 

It took the adversity of administration to tie the Derby groups together but it was the common goal of helping the club and working with the admin. 

If you want to see how fractious an umbrella group is when they come together to fight an owner then look no further than Reading. There was some massive infighting when Eleanor Flood suddenly started doing interviews as the 'spokesperson' of Sell Before We Dai.

Posted (edited)

Sounds like a 'hail mary' from 1867.

Last chance to gain any credibility by subsuming other groups into their umbrella group, knowing that the close season with Röhl extending, decent season ticket sales, key player renewals and new recruitment basically drives a bus through their whole agenda and raison d'etre.

And just wait till the MASSIVE announcement that's in its way 

Au revoir mes petites choux fleurs

image.gif.cbdbe4b74ddfd3be78749b31fddf8052.gif

Edited by Andyben
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

An umbrella group will never happen amongst Wednesday supporters groups. For starters there'd be too much arguing about who was going to be in charge. Even if there was a panel with a rep from each group there'd still be the issue of who's 'actually' in charge. 

Then you'd have the issues that @mkowl has already talked about. Real world problems like what shade of blue. Each group has it's own set agenda and that was obvious in the earlier incarnations of the current engagement panel. They couldn't even get their heads together to have a pre-meet to come up with points to bring to the meeting. 

It took the adversity of administration to tie the Derby groups together but it was the common goal of helping the club and working with the admin. 

If you want to see how fractious an umbrella group is when they come together to fight an owner then look no further than Reading. There was some massive infighting when Eleanor Flood suddenly started doing interviews as the 'spokesperson' of Sell Before We Dai.

WTID emerged at the time the club was heading to the High Court steps, so in many ways it was a free hit. Even then it was met with plenty of hostility and suspicion. 

Like I have said on the membership renewal thread, I am all for a Supporters Club umbrella type entity, but its a dept of the football club aligned to the membership scheme. A very different way of approaching this 

On 06/06/2024 at 10:32, Reesh said:

Fancy providing some context to that?

if we’ve sold good numbers, great! It’s a good thing. I don’t like the prices and how it’s done but if the support is still good then that’s a positive.

as you know (and purposely ignored) the context of my comments was about the current and recent prices and how we don’t take advantage of positivity and fail to carry on the momentum. Especially over the summer period. 

I said how over the summer (and various times since phase 1) that no doubt we have the opportunity to attract new season ticket holders and potentially get returning fans, but that the prices are absurd and drive fans away. The main point being who benefits from current prices and constant increases? People won’t be buying when they would if prices remained reasonable. Maybe some will still buy but if they are those prices for championship football are appalling and the principle of it is plain wrong.

you may scoff at the suggestion that I think we can sell 30k sts (yes i know it’s max 27-28); but when you consider the huge levels of increases of various other clubs at this level, who have good pricing, then I don’t see why it’s not achievable. We sold 22k ish last season even with the wasted opportunity over last summer. With the recent survival and DR positivity, a decent ticket campaign and reasonable prices would surely manage to retain current numbers and find another 5-6k. Sounds feasible to me. 

11 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

Fancy providing some context to that?

if we’ve sold good numbers, great! It’s a good thing. I don’t like the prices and how it’s done but if the support is still good then that’s a positive.

as you know (and purposely ignored) the context of my comments was about the current and recent prices and how we don’t take advantage of positivity and fail to carry on the momentum. Especially over the summer period. 

I said how over the summer (and various times since phase 1) that no doubt we have the opportunity to attract new season ticket holders and potentially get returning fans, but that the prices are absurd and drive fans away. The main point being who benefits from current prices and constant increases? People won’t be buying when they would if prices remained reasonable. Maybe some will still buy but if they are those prices for championship football are appalling and the principle of it is plain wrong.

you may scoff at the suggestion that I think we can sell 30k sts (yes i know it’s max 27-28); but when you consider the huge levels of increases of various other clubs at this level, who have good pricing, then I don’t see why it’s not achievable. We sold 22k ish last season even with the wasted opportunity over last summer. With the recent survival and DR positivity, a decent ticket campaign and reasonable prices would surely manage to retain current numbers and find another 5-6k. Sounds feasible to me. 

You have any figures to back up your context? Cos I'd say not.

You stick to slating the chairman across forums I'll stick to facts. 

15 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

The main point being who benefits from current prices and constant increases? People won’t be buying when they would if prices remained reasonable. Maybe some will still buy but if they are those prices for championship football are appalling and the principle of it is plain wrong.

Ultimately the fans benefit as we can pay more for better players.

Do you agree that  if there was no 1867 that more fans would have renewed earlier in the season?

Should Wednesday have adopted Ipswich's season ticket prices if it guaranteed us promotion?

21 minutes ago, Reesh said:

You have any figures to back up your context? Cos I'd say not.

You stick to slating the chairman across forums I'll stick to facts. 

Facts? It’s a debate / discussion, there’s no facts. 

to me it would seem fairly obvious that a good ticket campaign and reasonable prices would lead to greater sales and supporter engagement. 

clearly you disagree. Which is fine; I personally just don’t understand the logic 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Ultimately the fans benefit as we can pay more for better players.

Do you agree that  if there was no 1867 that more fans would have renewed earlier in the season?

Should Wednesday have adopted Ipswich's season ticket prices if it guaranteed us promotion?

How are fans benefitting here? Summer prices are so absurd that you imagine extremely few buy them. And the club barely sells any more. People are being either ripped off or priced out. And where is the correlation between high prices and signing better players in recent years? Me personally I’d honestly rather reasonable prices and a lower budget if that’s what it’s really come to. 

• Like 1