A New Group of Attention Seekers

6 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Just been on Twitter and noticed more people calling out the group for attacking Bannan. Fucking hell, AB and Reesh will be conflicted.

I called them out earlier today for suggesting DC would take charges out against the stadium and use the funds on something else other than the club 

6 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Some supporters of The 1867 Group seem to be having an attack on Barry Bannan on Twitter tonight: they're actually arguing with him online. FFS!  

The night before a game!

OK.

Time to fess up.

1867 is me and the Jam Roll 

• Haha 1

On 24/09/2023 at 21:45, Skamp said:

There’s been a few teams where the fans have protested against the chairman.  I’m struggling to think of one chairman that actually took any notice.

In fact, one or two have simply said ‘fuck it, I’ll pay the wages only going forward and the fans can go fuck themselves’ and the club's then crashed and burnt.

Wasn’t the original black balloon protest to do with wanting Bates at Hillsborough?

Be very, very careful what you wish for. 

Ahem

Edited by Skamp

Would seem they done something against the rules on X - wonder what that was.. got to be hard given Musk recent behaviiua

Or 

pigs in disguise and their work is done?

or

Shaw wrapped them up because DC willing to deal?

or

they are suspects in a police case involving rumoured death threats to the owner

Or 

they forgot the password and locked themselves out lol

IMG_1261.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I was just about to have a go at one of the awkward squad on Twitter but have decided instead to hold off until I've checked my facts with some on here.

They were calling for a fan economic boycott of the club: don't buy home tickets, if you do go don't spend anything whilst there: shop, kiosk, fanzone, etc.  

My worry is that this would take us towards FFP (or whatever it's called now and at this level) problems again.  If we fans don't put our usual amounts in from now on, doesn't this mean that the owner has to make up the shortfall,  (maybe a moot point currently), which may eventually mean he's putting more funds in than budgeted for, or eventually is even allowed to do?  (I'm aware it's a multi-year scheme.)

Or is there something I don't know and they're not connected?

Edited by Owling_Wolf

As daft as it sounds the impact would probably be modest. You should never conflate turnover with profit when it comes to merchandise and hospitality 

Ticket sales maybe but the vast majority of our turnover comes from season ticket sales, so already in the books for this season.

Then TV revenues are pretty fixed - variable element may be lower as the season progresses if we are down the bottom.

Home ticket sales are going to be low whilst ever we are playing poorly and bottom of the league. 

The hit will definitely be season ticket revenues for the 2024/25 season

There's been quite a lot suggesting we shouldn't go because it hits DC in the pocket. 

Well, as you allude to Fred, he would have to put more in. Which he said he won't.... (Although, I don't think he's going to let it crash, but put in the minimum needed). 

As others have said, season ticket sales will be counted in the attendance anyway if 'you' turn up or not. So, if people don't turn up who are ST holders, yes, it's noticeable visibly, but that's it.

It's counter productive, if as many people know, and those with common sense want... You can support the team, but not the ownership by turning up to games. Would those not turning up want the team to go into League One? Although it might seem likely right now, it's not a guarantee, but not supporting the TEAM doesn't help that fight.

Yesterday, at the start of the game the fans were 100% behind the team, but within 10 mins that had gone for obvious reasons. It was shit as we all know. BUT the fans were behind the team, and aimed their ire at the manager (and then at DC too). 

I don't know the answer right now, I wish I did.... But, I'll be there next week. Because I support the team, and always will when I can be there. Regardless of how pissed off and frustrated I get.. I'll boo at the end should I feel I need to. 

No, I'm not saying I'm better than anyone that left early, I'm not saying I'm better than those who decide to  stick around and just slag the team off. We are all different. But what I do know is things are an absolute mess right now. 

• Like 1

I personally don't spend anything at the Club other than my Season Ticket so in effect I have been boycotting this revenue stream for years. 

3 pints in one of the local hostelries prior and a pack of Wine Gums and Double Deckers for the kids (and me) and we are sorted.  No need or desire to use the kiosks.  Now the kids are older they don't want merchandise so no spend there either.

@Owling_Wolf FFP in the Championship is a straight £33m over 3 years, so fans putting zero revenue in wouldn't affect FFP, it's solely club expenditure.

However in League 1 it's 75% of your income to spend on wages. Transfer budgets don't count. 

We'd only be screwed next season if we're in League 1 with a squad full of players on £15k a week and no relegation clauses in their contracts. 

Everybody goes with the intention of supporting the team. Most the fan base are simply uninterested in off the field stuff until they twig the crap on the pitch is probably caused by that off it. 

Wednesday fans have always gone the apathetic route. I mean a few on here remember the mid 70s and it was worse then in reality than now. We hear the tales of those that went, the away game madness but never where the 15k to 20k fans disappeared. I do remember a Save Our Owls campaign in The Star that basically fizzled out. My formative years were played in the stadium with huge gaps on the Kop and the seats. 

Ironically no protests at football, probably because they were ten a penny in society as a whole.

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Everybody goes with the intention of supporting the team. Most the fan base are simply uninterested in off the field stuff until they twig the crap on the pitch is probably caused by that off it. 

Wednesday fans have always gone the apathetic route. I mean a few on here remember the mid 70s and it was worse then in reality than now. We hear the tales of those that went, the away game madness but never where the 15k to 20k fans disappeared. I do remember a Save Our Owls campaign in The Star that basically fizzled out. My formative years were played in the stadium with huge gaps on the Kop and the seats. 

Ironically no protests at football, probably because they were ten a penny in society as a whole.

I was there in the time you mention, stood on an open kop with 7,000 there losing 0-1 to Oxford or some shit. We just went for the football, you'd boo,even cheer if the odd goal went in but it was just going to watch a match. I really cant imagine what it would have been like if social media was about then, now it just gives air time to every would be potential chairman, and millionaire, and other shelf stackers stuck in their dream world. Wish it was those days again when the gobby twat in the pub just got twatted.

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Are you old enough to remember cushions being thrown onto the pitch in protest (at the refereeing?) at the end of the 1960s?  I think it was in the relegation season from the old First Division, 1969/70.

The cushions were individually rented from the club by patrons of the seated stands and, following this atrocity 🙂 this nicety was withdrawn from offer.  I've a feeling we were penalised somehow by the football authorities. 

1 hour ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

It’s £39m

Also no way are the likes of our 2nd division foreign contingent on that kind of money after some of them were playing in front of 2k a week. I’d guess the likes of Valentin are on no more than 5

I actually agree with you Nev, my concern is the dross that Moore re-signed like Johnson and James who will undoubtedly has big bumps from what I imagine were very generous League 1 salaries 

7 hours ago, Billysboy said:

I was there in the time you mention, stood on an open kop with 7,000 there losing 0-1 to Oxford or some shit. We just went for the football, you'd boo,even cheer if the odd goal went in but it was just going to watch a match. I really cant imagine what it would have been like if social media was about then, now it just gives air time to every would be potential chairman, and millionaire, and other shelf stackers stuck in their dream world. Wish it was those days again when the gobby twat in the pub just got twatted.

Amen brother.

8 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Are you old enough to remember cushions being thrown onto the pitch in protest (at the refereeing?) at the end of the 1960s?  I think it was in the relegation season from the old First Division, 1969/70.

The cushions were individually rented from the club by patrons of the seated stands and, following this atrocity 🙂 this nicety was withdrawn from offer.  I've a feeling we were penalised somehow by the football authorities. 

Just old enough to remember the back end of this "tradition" in the late 70s. The North was probably sparsely populated in reality but with 5 minutes to go they would start to be lobbed. The ones from the back not quite reaching the pitch, the odd one getting the lino. Very famous picture of the end of the League Cup replay Villa v Everton in 77 with hundreds on the pitch.

I think the deposit went up to stop the behaviour.

The original padded seat, slightly different to the social media influencer that checks out corporate that uses that moniker

9 hours ago, Billysboy said:

The point I was making is that from that era we only ever hear the tales from the stoic lot that attended games still.

There were probably 15k fans who simply stopped going. Clearly us being shit was one reason, but so was hooliganism, economic decline, rampant inflation. 

I think Wednesday fans are attuned to the ups and downs football brings. I laugh that my first game in April 74 v Bolton was a relegation avoided. I went when we beat Southend in 76. My baseline entry point was quite low really. 

In the main Wednesday fans don't protest, they turn apathetic and vote with their feet. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Cost me £102 for three of us on kop Friday, and I'd do it again because it's Sheffield Wednesday I love and support, not the chairman, manager or current players. Boycotting does sod all 

It sends a message that you're not happy with the product if crowd numbers drop.

But is Chansiri going to receive that message?

He only thinks in the extreme short term and he only thinks about money. His ticket pricing policy shows this. He’s not bothered about how his policy today affects attendances in 5/10 years time. 

Given that there’s going to be hardly any home tickets sold due to cost/performance, he’s already got his money this year whether 20,000 turn up or 2 - so a boycott will barely even register with him. 

The worry now is that his expected price rise in January, continued shit performances and threatening of fans puts season ticket holders off, and they find something better to do on a Saturday afternoon and never return.

18 minutes ago, LiamOwl said:

But is Chansiri going to receive that message?

He only thinks in the extreme short term and he only thinks about money. His ticket pricing policy shows this. He’s not bothered about how his policy today affects attendances in 5/10 years time. 

Given that there’s going to be hardly any home tickets sold due to cost/performance, he’s already got his money this year whether 20,000 turn up or 2 - so a boycott will barely even register with him. 

The worry now is that his expected price rise in January, continued shit performances and threatening of fans puts season ticket holders off, and they find something better to do on a Saturday afternoon and never return.

This is true, the strategy is very short term.

4 hours ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Cost me £102 for three of us on kop Friday, and I'd do it again because it's Sheffield Wednesday I love and support, not the chairman, manager or current players. Boycotting does sod all 

Didn't the other two contribute?

53 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Talking of support, I took this screenshot of the North Stand on Friday, because I couldn’t believe how few young supporters were there.

For me, looking at that photo, the rot has already set in, and with ticket prices being as they are for pay on the gate supporters, I fear for where the next generation of SWFC supporters is going to come from. Families just can’t afford to attend anymore, especially when you factor in the current cost of living crisis.

IMG_2329.jpeg

Would say the North is the least family / youngster populated out of the three home stands.  Majority will be in the Grandstand or the Kop.  

Still plenty of young uns go to the game.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Would say the North is the least family / youngster populated out of the three home stands.  Majority will be in the Grandstand or the Kop.  

Still plenty of young uns go to the game.

Doesn't fit the current mantra that some folk are peddling

• Like 1

There’s always lots of young uns on the Kop and tbh, it makes me smile every game when I see so many of them there interacting with Ozzie/Barney down the front.

Theres one young kid that loves meeting them and takes them a bag of sweets every game and gets a photo taken with them.

The footy might be crap right now, but that kid makes memories at every game down there and it’s so heartwarming. I just hope, beyond hope, that people whose kids love everything else around the matchday can keep going. They’re our future. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bellsview said:

Talking of support, I took this screenshot of the North Stand on Friday, because I couldn’t believe how few young supporters were there.

For me, looking at that photo, the rot has already set in, and with ticket prices being as they are for pay on the gate supporters, I fear for where the next generation of SWFC supporters is going to come from. Families just can’t afford to attend anymore, especially when you factor in the current cost of living crisis.

IMG_2329.jpeg

At the 75th minute it's at least 21.30 in a game where we've been absolutely toss and loads of fans have already left. You've screenshot the stand with the most expensive kids tickets (along with the South) where all the nob heads sit, can't imagine why there's no kids there 🤔

44 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

At the 75th minute it's at least 21.30 in a game where we've been absolutely toss and loads of fans have already left. You've screenshot the stand with the most expensive kids tickets (along with the South) where all the nob heads sit, can't imagine why there's no kids there 🤔

Oiiiii I sit there (then again the Mrs says I'm a nob head) 😃

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 80s Owl said:

Oiiiii I sit there (then again the Mrs says I'm a nob head) 😃

You know what I mean, away stand end. I used to sit on the North, liked it, good view. Wouldn't take my daughter on there though 

Edited by Otto_Man

14 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

You know what I mean, away stand end. I used to sit on the North, liked it, good view. Wouldn't take my daughter on there though 

No I'm only joking mate, I know what you mean, I don't sit there myself but I am a nob head.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Not sure what they've reported, DC clearly used the word "additional" so they're clearly being obtuse.

Exactly my point. They are thick as fucking mince, no wonder Nev is impressed, they've dragged him down to their level.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

I’d had been more concerned had they done nothing, which is pretty much what they’ve done since their inception 

It's pretty hard to do much as a Trust with only 400 members, but to be fair they've done quite a bit. 

They've been kicked off the supporters groups panel, that the club set up, for being antagonistic and inaccurate reporting of previous meetings.

They've provided one sided analysis on ticket prices and club funding (basing it on Birmingham City of all clubs) and demanded the club follow that operating model. 

They've managed to get an ACV slapped on the stadium and called it a moral victory. 

They've demanded, several times, for the club to clarify its financial position and how it's funded. 

And last but not least they've been ignored by the club at every turn. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Not sure what they've reported, DC clearly used the word "additional" so they're clearly being obtuse.

Only DC knew what he meant when he said additional, everything else is simply conjecture.

Could mean I ain't putting in any of the £2m in October or I ain't putting a £1 more than that in.

The statement itself is obtuse as to intentions and indeed for DC means he could go either option.

A real cynical view could be that funds have dried up and all this mess has been engineered to create this route out. Do I think this is the case, probably not but its a plausible theory 

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Only DC knew what he meant when he said additional, everything else is simply conjecture.

Could mean I ain't putting in any of the £2m in October or I ain't putting a £1 more than that in.

The statement itself is obtuse as to intentions and indeed for DC means he could go either option.

A real cynical view could be that funds have dried up and all this mess has been engineered to create this route out. Do I think this is the case, probably not but its a plausible theory 

If that were true, then why would DC be announcing investing in peripheral nice to haves (such as the fanzone revamp)? Also think we'd have seen a lot more prudence in our signings, e g. I don't think we'd have signed the keeper, just gone with Dawson.

I'm a cynic, but this isn't realistic imo 

Edited by Otto_Man

4 hours ago, Chelters said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if he was looking for an excuse to cut the spending, and has jumped at the chance to use the protests as that excuse.

cause he has, his dads not given him any pocket money for ages, perfect opportunity for him to scribble another pathetic statement and blame the fans 

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

And you’re surprised? What the fuck? Non payment of HMRC is indefensible and a massive red flag

They’ll not wait until January, winding up petition will arrive before then  

Unless he agrees a payment schedule....

It is, for once, something I find alarming by Mr Chansiri. He needs to make a statement quickly explaining this fuck up or face more calls questioning his hold on the club, the other scenario is he's in deep talks to sell the club so sees no reason to pay the debt.

• Like 1