The all new Managerial Merry-go-round thread

Reesh

19 minutes ago, JBO said:

Another job for Danny to be linked with...

They've got one of Arteta's coaches/assistants lined up apparently, sounds like it's been a done deal for a while, but they needed to see how the play offs panned out before sacking Wagner

20 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

De Zerbi leaving Brighton after the last game. 

Mutual agreement, the statement says

Is the mutual agreement between De Zerbi, Bayern and his release clause?

11 minutes ago, Gamblor said:

De Zerbi's statement hints at "you won't give me the gazillions I want to spend so I'm off"

37 minutes ago, Gamblor said:

They wouldn't have released him from his 2 year outstanding if Bayern were sniffing

Xisco just finished second in the Nike Liga and qualified for the Conference League.

Took over when they were 6th, just having been beaten 5-1.

Funnily enough he did what he said he was going to do here, sorted out the defence first, making them hard to beat, a lot of boring 0-0s early on, looking questionable, then gradually picking up more wins and finishing strong winning the last 4.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

Xisco just finished second in the Nike Liga and qualified for the Conference League.

Funnily enough he did what he said he was going to do here, sorted out the defence first, making them hard to beat, a lot of boring 0-0s early on, looking questionable, then gradually picking up more wins and finishing strong winning the last 4.

Well apart from not sorting out our defence and being very capable of us getting 0 his plan worked marvellously 🫣

6 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

Didn't know he was even back in work. What and where is that?

3 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

Come on mate, you got to stop with this shite. Xisco didn't know which way to turn when he was here, he'd lost the plot and I was so pleased, as he was when he was eventually put out of his misery. I remember him in the press conferences, getting pissed off as he had no answers and no idea on how to turn it round.

Do you think for one minute he was on course to keep us up? For one nano second even? No, of course he wasn't and if DC hadn't pulled the trigger when he did we'd now be in League One. Same with this shit with Gregory, they've both departed so give it up now.

As for his new club, they finished second yes, out of 12 and that's exactly where they usually finish, around second. It's a bit like saying Arsenal or Liverpool finished second, I could go and manage them into second place.

You post some good stuff Tewks so why keep dropping the shite in?😂

I've said all along that Xisco had to leave us. He failed. It's that simple.

However, I've followed Dun Streda since he joined them and he had a similar shaky start there, obviously not as bad as ours, but in roughly the same vein.

Since then he has turned the draws into wins and took them up to 2nd.

It's just interesting that he stuck to what he said he was going to do and pulled it off in the end. 

Did he need to go? Yes.

Do I want him back here? No.

Do I think he's the worst manager we've ever had? No.

Why is there such a combatative mentality on Wednesday's social media?

The bloke has got a new job and dine well, doing what he tried here. That's it.

Thought it was interesting.

Why is everyone reading so far into everything?

Think we offered too many contracts to flaky players, now I'm 1867?

It's getting daft now.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

However, I've followed Dun Streda since he joined them and he had a similar shaky start there, obviously not as bad as ours, but in roughly the same vein.

It's just interesting that he stuck to what he said he was going to do and pulled it off in the end. 

Did he need to go? Yes.

It's getting daft now.

Can I give you some advice *, mix up your negative views with the odd positive comment, also drop an argument you ain't winning. Or play the long game 

Everyone else sees Xisco as a huge mistake and frankly don't want to be reminded about those 3 or 4 months, even less what he has done elsewhere.

* and that is from me as the resident Mr Misery 

Edited by mkowl

2 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

Did he need to go? Yes.

It's getting daft now.

Go on, I'll bite, if he's not the worst then who on earth is?

1 hour ago, Bellsview said:

Eustace is the only one I’d put up against him, but for all Pulis’s failings whilst here, he at least had a respectable track record on his CV. 

I looked at Xisco’s managerial record not long after we appointed him and I didn’t need to be Einstein to work out what was likely to happen next.

How DC didn’t see it is beyond me and that is one area in which he deserves criticism - even that Watford side Xisco took up was a team and squad already in situ. He didn’t wave a magic wand and transform them into something new, he simply oversaw what was already a good first XI and squad of players and took the glory for them going up. 

I hope I never see a manager like him at S6 again.

I wonder if DC didn’t sound out DR in the summer, knew he was the man he wanted and appointed someone until Rohl became available. Yes, the appointment was shite but I imagine it didn’t cost him a lot to do it when it came to making the change. 

6 minutes ago, Supercockle said:

I wonder if DC didn’t sound out DR in the summer, knew he was the man he wanted and appointed someone until Rohl became available. Yes, the appointment was shite but I imagine it didn’t cost him a lot to do it when it came to making the change. 

I think this has long been the theory. 

Wasn't xisco on a monthly contract 

30 minutes ago, Supercockle said:

That's what I've been suspecting for quite a while now.  No evidence, just logical.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Didn't know he was even back in work. What and where is that?

4 hours ago, mkowl said:

Can I give you some advice *, mix up your negative views with the odd positive comment, also drop an argument you ain't winning. Or play the long game 

Everyone else sees Xisco as a huge mistake and frankly don't want to be reminded about those 3 or 4 months, even less what he has done elsewhere.

* and that is from me as the resident Mr Misery 

You were saying?

2 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

That's what I've been suspecting for quite a while now.  No evidence, just logical.

I seem to recall DC saying something along the lines that Xisco was ‘the best that was available at the time’ during the press conference when he was appointed. I thought then that it seemed an odd comment in the context of the questioning. Maybe that was reference to DR not being readily available at that time.?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

Did he need to go? Yes.

It's getting daft now.

I don’t think anyone accusing you of being aligned with 1867.

I agree that you’re just trying to have a rational discussion re our previous manager.

The thing is,i don’t think many, if any,have the appetite for it.I’m looking at this site nearly every day and enjoying the optimism and the general feel good factor.What could have been a very bad season turned out to be a wonderful finale,added to by what happened to the other lot across the city.I’m going to be on top of the world for as long as possible.My advice,which I offer genuinely,is make the most of these times when they come around.They tend to be fleeting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, M42Owl said:

There are a few options: Pulis, Eustace?

Pulis managed us for 10 games, got a win and 4 draws in a team that was fighting the drop. Useless got at least 4 or 5 wins as I recall and we were in the top flight. 

Thong song had 2 games against lower league opponents in the league cup and couldn't even muster a morale boosting win against either of them. Middlesbrough arrived devoid of confidence and with the £15m Darren Potter on the verge of the sack and we made them look like Citeh.

Absolutely the worst...ever.

Danny Rohl was interviewed five days after Moore left and was offered the job but the DFB wouldn't release him. 

However it was common knowledge that Flick was on a game by game basis, after not getting out of the group stage in the World Cup and 3 losses and a draw in the subsequent games. The Japan loss tipped it over and Rohl became available. 

There were no other interviews, Rohl just got the job based on his previous interview 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Danny Rohl was interviewed five days after Moore left and was offered the job but the DFB wouldn't release him. 

However it was common knowledge that Flick was on a game by game basis, after not getting out of the group stage in the World Cup and 3 losses and a draw in the subsequent games. The Japan loss tipped it over and Rohl became available. 

There were no other interviews, Rohl just got the job based on his previous interview 

I’ve always wondered about this. Chansiri made plenty of weird comments in *that* press conference. But it was the one along the lines of:

‘he (Xisco) didn’t have the best cv but he’s the man I’ve picked to do the job’ (I’m horribly paraphrasing) that stuck out to me at the time.

When DR came in it felt like DC had finally had his actual first pick.

Honestly, in the end I think it’ll work in our favour. Rohl’s now got hero status with us already, and (I fucking hope) will probably stay coz of that and the fact he’s still not had a full preseason as a manager.

Last season with him in from the off, who knows what would’ve happened. But I think we would have been decent enough that he could’ve been poached this close season, and he might’ve been more tempted to move on, having had a full season under his belt. 

Basing this on nothing but a few beers deep logic, naturally. 

I’ve never seen a team look so uncoached and unfit as I have seen under Xisco. There was no plan with the ball, a low block that was so low, we couldn’t get beyond our own side of the centre circle. We were in absolute disarray when facing any set piece pretty that meant the other team could get the ball in our box. More concerningly, the players looked lost.

Xisco is easily in a top 3 alongside Garry Monk and Eustace/Turner/Jos.

4 hours ago, Sheffieldblue said:

All this chat about worst manager ever, and no mention of Steve Burtenshaw . The conversation should be all about second worst manager ever

To quote wikipedia - Steve Burtenshaw  a man with no redeeming features whatsoever

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Sheffieldblue said:

All this chat about worst manager ever, and no mention of Steve Burtenshaw . The conversation should be all about second worst manager ever

I was just reading through this thread, ready to post exactly that.  'You young 'uns',  😋, it's scary how little some of you know about our club.  Burtenshaw was touted at the time as the best coach in England, (That London), and we were praised for giving him his first job as an actual Manager.  👀    Our reward, becoming the first Sheffield club to drop below the halfway point in the (then) Football League, the shame at which was shocking at the time.  And with a squad featuring not only several players who'd appeared to be quality young players not long before but also some experienced ones with quality careers behind them. (Without checking, I think Colin Harvey was one: a league champion with Everton and (briefly, I think), an England international.)  So step forward Steve Burtenshaw, worst manager in SWFC history at the time and easily worse than all the ones mentioned above until Xisco Muñoz. Who gets it out of those two? We'd have to know all the circumstances that affected both. And I enjoy life too much to spoil it by volunteering to dive into that miserable rôle, thanks. Having had to live through both regimes was bad enough!

Edited by Owling_Wolf
  • Like 1

Xisco was fucking dreadful for us, can't believe there's backing for him. Burtenshw is just a bit out of my era, can remember mi Dad not being fond of him though.

Useless Eustace, Monk, Pulis, Xisco and Luhukay through the trapdoor for me. All equally as shit as each other.

As an aside Danny is one helluva find. 

Wagner calling Danny The German Pulis ended any niceties to him from me. Citing our effectiveness from corners. At that point we had scored from 2 corners all season, both in that game. bitter twat. 

With them both being German I expected a bit more camaraderie to be offered. Nope, he's just a twat. Had a feeling then he knew he wasn't far from the chop.

5 hours ago, Ozzie said:

Wagner calling Danny The German Pulis ended any niceties to him from me. Citing our effectiveness from corners. At that point we had scored from 2 corners all season, both in that game. bitter twat. 

With them both being German I expected a bit more camaraderie to be offered. Nope, he's just a twat. Had a feeling then he knew he wasn't far from the chop.

I could be dead wrong on this, so apologies if so, but ... 

My recollection is that Wagner was having somewhat good-natured go at having been bettered by Rohl's more 'pragmatic' changes.  A kind of 'we planned for Pep and were beating him, but got Pulis in the second half and didn't cope'.  A jab in there, to be sure, but with a tip-of-the-hat at the same time.  I don't remember it coming off as a real shot at Rohl.  

I don't trust my memory on things like this nearly as much as I used to, but that's how I remember it.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pook said:

I could be dead wrong on this, so apologies if so, but ... 

My recollection is that Wagner was having somewhat good-natured go at having been bettered by Rohl's more 'pragmatic' changes.  A kind of 'we planned for Pep and were beating him, but got Pulis in the second half and didn't cope'.  A jab in there, to be sure, but with a tip-of-the-hat at the same time.  I don't remember it coming off as a real shot at Rohl.  

I don't trust my memory on things like this nearly as much as I used to, but that's how I remember it.  

You're spot on, there was no malice in it.