The all new Managerial Merry-go-round thread

Reesh

Danny Rohl was interviewed five days after Moore left and was offered the job but the DFB wouldn't release him. 

However it was common knowledge that Flick was on a game by game basis, after not getting out of the group stage in the World Cup and 3 losses and a draw in the subsequent games. The Japan loss tipped it over and Rohl became available. 

There were no other interviews, Rohl just got the job based on his previous interview 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Danny Rohl was interviewed five days after Moore left and was offered the job but the DFB wouldn't release him. 

However it was common knowledge that Flick was on a game by game basis, after not getting out of the group stage in the World Cup and 3 losses and a draw in the subsequent games. The Japan loss tipped it over and Rohl became available. 

There were no other interviews, Rohl just got the job based on his previous interview 

I’ve always wondered about this. Chansiri made plenty of weird comments in *that* press conference. But it was the one along the lines of:

‘he (Xisco) didn’t have the best cv but he’s the man I’ve picked to do the job’ (I’m horribly paraphrasing) that stuck out to me at the time.

When DR came in it felt like DC had finally had his actual first pick.

Honestly, in the end I think it’ll work in our favour. Rohl’s now got hero status with us already, and (I fucking hope) will probably stay coz of that and the fact he’s still not had a full preseason as a manager.

Last season with him in from the off, who knows what would’ve happened. But I think we would have been decent enough that he could’ve been poached this close season, and he might’ve been more tempted to move on, having had a full season under his belt. 

Basing this on nothing but a few beers deep logic, naturally. 

I’ve never seen a team look so uncoached and unfit as I have seen under Xisco. There was no plan with the ball, a low block that was so low, we couldn’t get beyond our own side of the centre circle. We were in absolute disarray when facing any set piece pretty that meant the other team could get the ball in our box. More concerningly, the players looked lost.

Xisco is easily in a top 3 alongside Garry Monk and Eustace/Turner/Jos.

4 hours ago, Sheffieldblue said:

All this chat about worst manager ever, and no mention of Steve Burtenshaw . The conversation should be all about second worst manager ever

To quote wikipedia - Steve Burtenshaw  a man with no redeeming features whatsoever

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Sheffieldblue said:

All this chat about worst manager ever, and no mention of Steve Burtenshaw . The conversation should be all about second worst manager ever

I was just reading through this thread, ready to post exactly that.  'You young 'uns',  😋, it's scary how little some of you know about our club.  Burtenshaw was touted at the time as the best coach in England, (That London), and we were praised for giving him his first job as an actual Manager.  👀    Our reward, becoming the first Sheffield club to drop below the halfway point in the (then) Football League, the shame at which was shocking at the time.  And with a squad featuring not only several players who'd appeared to be quality young players not long before but also some experienced ones with quality careers behind them. (Without checking, I think Colin Harvey was one: a league champion with Everton and (briefly, I think), an England international.)  So step forward Steve Burtenshaw, worst manager in SWFC history at the time and easily worse than all the ones mentioned above until Xisco Muñoz. Who gets it out of those two? We'd have to know all the circumstances that affected both. And I enjoy life too much to spoil it by volunteering to dive into that miserable rôle, thanks. Having had to live through both regimes was bad enough!

Edited by Owling_Wolf
  • Like 1

Xisco was fucking dreadful for us, can't believe there's backing for him. Burtenshw is just a bit out of my era, can remember mi Dad not being fond of him though.

Useless Eustace, Monk, Pulis, Xisco and Luhukay through the trapdoor for me. All equally as shit as each other.

As an aside Danny is one helluva find. 

Wagner calling Danny The German Pulis ended any niceties to him from me. Citing our effectiveness from corners. At that point we had scored from 2 corners all season, both in that game. bitter twat. 

With them both being German I expected a bit more camaraderie to be offered. Nope, he's just a twat. Had a feeling then he knew he wasn't far from the chop.

5 hours ago, Ozzie said:

Wagner calling Danny The German Pulis ended any niceties to him from me. Citing our effectiveness from corners. At that point we had scored from 2 corners all season, both in that game. bitter twat. 

With them both being German I expected a bit more camaraderie to be offered. Nope, he's just a twat. Had a feeling then he knew he wasn't far from the chop.

I could be dead wrong on this, so apologies if so, but ... 

My recollection is that Wagner was having somewhat good-natured go at having been bettered by Rohl's more 'pragmatic' changes.  A kind of 'we planned for Pep and were beating him, but got Pulis in the second half and didn't cope'.  A jab in there, to be sure, but with a tip-of-the-hat at the same time.  I don't remember it coming off as a real shot at Rohl.  

I don't trust my memory on things like this nearly as much as I used to, but that's how I remember it.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pook said:

I could be dead wrong on this, so apologies if so, but ... 

My recollection is that Wagner was having somewhat good-natured go at having been bettered by Rohl's more 'pragmatic' changes.  A kind of 'we planned for Pep and were beating him, but got Pulis in the second half and didn't cope'.  A jab in there, to be sure, but with a tip-of-the-hat at the same time.  I don't remember it coming off as a real shot at Rohl.  

I don't trust my memory on things like this nearly as much as I used to, but that's how I remember it.  

You're spot on, there was no malice in it.

23 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

Came across as being snide to me. "Bottom" team came from behind to draw with his "superior team" and couldn't hack it so took a swipe.

Yeah but we've ascertained over your time posting on here you're a bit thick.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ozzie said:

Came across as being snide to me. "Bottom" team came from behind to draw with his "superior team" and couldn't hack it so took a swipe.

He seems the type to not have a go at his team publically, but could be wrong, so tried to deflect perhaps. 
Either way, cry me a river Wagner and piss off back to the xfactor  

12 hours ago, Ozzie said:

Seemed the opposite to me, more like he was criticising himself and it was him that was out thought. Re-read the match thread and you'll recall we went massive ale house in the second half after trying to "play" them first. 

It probably wouldn't be that unfair a comment even if that had been what he meant...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Seemed the opposite to me, more like he was criticising himself and it was him that was out thought. Re-read the match thread and you'll recall we went massive ale house in the second half after trying to "play" them first. 

It probably wouldn't be that unfair a comment even if that had been what he meant...

When Rohl goes more direct, we look very much like we did under Wilko at times - not the more tradtional 'lump it up t' bug un'

25 minutes ago, MAL said:

Pochettino gone from Chelsea by mutual consent. 

It felt like that one was coming given a few comments that Poch has made over the past couple of weeks, but I can’t see the reasoning. Maybe that he hasn’t turned a bunch of mediocre players (and Palmer) into world beaters in one season so he has to go as the owners have to blame someone for their own incompetence?

Crazy decision, they've had a very good second half of the season and have looked devastating at times (the West Ham and Everton games in particular). I actually think he had gotten that team as close to being world beaters as anyone could

Poch going is exactly what you’d expect to see when you have an ownership group with a load of money, but no football sense decide to play Football Manager.

It’s very well know that every single manager in that new regime hasn’t always had a say in the players that have come and gone. Poch even hinted at it himself, like repeatedly asking for a striker and ending up with midfield players.

If I am Man Utd, I am sacking Ten Haag tonight and getting Poch in tomorrow.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gamblor said:

Rumours that Kompany to Bayern is almost done. 

That genuinely surprises me given his first go at top level management was pretty abject and he was supported in the transfer market. I never saw them play well other than against the Pigs

20 minutes ago, mkowl said:

That genuinely surprises me given his first go at top level management was pretty abject and he was supported in the transfer market. I never saw them play well other than against the Pigs

There was a naïvity with Burnley this season. Kompany’s style wasn’t working against the step up in opposition and he just stuck with it regardless. If he goes to the club with the most resources and arguably best squad in the Bundesliga then that weakness may not show as much. That is until they’re up against Man City or Real and play right into their hands. 

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

Can managers stop moving jobs please so no one considers/talks about DR…

If we can negotiate this Summer and still have Rohl as Manager it will be some feat. 

The Manager market is absolutely crazy at the moment and chuck into the mix Kompany to Bayern and then Maresca and McKenna being linked to Chelsea that could be Burnley, Ipswich and/or Leicester looking for Managers.  Plus one of Southampton or Leeds may decide to change Managers after the Play Off Final. 

Quick scan on Leicester and Burnleys forums and both mentioning DR as a potential replacement.

Sure his appearances on ITV's Euro coverage will raise his profile even more.

11 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

If we can negotiate this Summer and still have Rohl as Manager it will be some feat. 

The Manager market is absolutely crazy at the moment and chuck into the mix Kompany to Bayern and then Maresca and McKenna being linked to Chelsea that could be Burnley, Ipswich and/or Leicester looking for Managers.  Plus one of Southampton or Leeds may decide to change Managers after the Play Off Final. 

Quick scan on Leicester and Burnleys forums and both mentioning DR as a potential replacement.

Whilst money clearly talks and loyalty in football is a myth I believe Röhl will stick around and build if he is given assurance by DC or any potential mew incoming owner.

• Like 1

With a queue forming for the managers from the promoted teams AND the relegated teams (pretty much all of them except Wilder), it seems likely that if DR starts the season with us (which I think he will), and has any degree of success, he’ll be a man (even more) in demand next summer. 
His legacy may be that he was the man that used his muscle to push through a modern structure at the club, that means when he does leave there is some continuity and we don’t crash and burn. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Bob Petrie said:

With a queue forming for the managers from the promoted teams AND the relegated teams (pretty much all of them except Wilder), it seems likely that if DR starts the season with us (which I think he will), and has any degree of success, he’ll be a man (even more) in demand next summer. 
His legacy may be that he was the man that used his muscle to push through a modern structure at the club, that means when he does leave there is some continuity and we don’t crash and burn. 

Good point. The certainty is that he will leave at some stage but then his legacy becomes the important thing. 

The signs are that he will sign an extended contract, likely with increased compensation for the club if he's poached in the future and better terms for himself including severence pay if he were dismissed down the line. He'll  want security if he's to bring his family from Germany. 

I expect the outcome to be an announcement shortly about an extended contract and Danny addressing the media about the clubs plans going forward - this summer and longer term. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Signs are that he'll be staying IMO. 

1 hour ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Good point. The certainty is that he will leave at some stage but then his legacy becomes the important thing. 

The signs are that he will sign an extended contract, likely with increased compensation for the club if he's poached in the future and better terms for himself including severence pay if he were dismissed down the line. He'll  want security if he's to bring his family from Germany. 

I expect the outcome to be an announcement shortly about an extended contract and Danny addressing the media about the clubs plans going forward - this summer and longer term. 

Am pretty sure what I was reading from the local journos on X yesterday was saying that an extended, enhanced  contract here for him would have REDUCED compensation to the club in future.  I remember wondering what the point of that was for the club. 

Loyalty doesn’t mean anything in football.

But I think Röhl knows it makes the most sense for his development to stay here for his first pre season/ full season at least. And I don’t think his comments about ‘tradition and big club’ when he first joined were pandering either. I think we’re a project to him and he wants to see that through for himself as much as the club. 2/3rds of a season (despite the remarkable achievement) isn’t quite long enough.

He’s openly ambitious - moving to a Burnley or Ipswich or even a Leicester is not an ambitious step. It’s a rushed, half step-up, high risk - low reward, and he’s got more time than most. 

Saving a side from certain relegation, then having them challenging for promotion the season after (which, imo, he will) is a much more impressive legacy. 

Only slight concern is Southampton if they get rid of Martin due to Danny’s past with them. But even then I’m not sure he’ll leave.

When he leaves us, I think it will be to a Euro challenging prem club or Bundesliga. Hopefully that offer comes no earlier than next summer, and at a time where we have a structure in place. 

(A lot of this is also blind hope on my part and I hope I’m right because I think we’re pretty fucked if he doesn’t stay this summer. We’re not ready to lose him yet)

13 minutes ago, NomadOwl said:

Only slight concern is Southampton if they get rid of Martin due to Danny’s past with them. But even then I’m not sure he’ll leave.

After how much Southampton pissed about delaying Martin’s appointment so that they’d pay less in compensation, I don’t think they’ll be paying Röhl’s contractual clause. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Am pretty sure what I was reading from the local journos on X yesterday was saying that an extended, enhanced  contract here for him would have REDUCED compensation to the club in future.  I remember wondering what the point of that was for the club. 

There would be no point. It makes no sense and likely is journalist guesswork. There is clearly more security for the club in keeping to the existing one year term than extending with a reduced club compensation clause.  What makes sense all round is for DC and DR to negotiate greater security for both parties.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse