The all new Managerial Merry-go-round thread

Reesh

7 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

It definitely interesting to see this rake of younger coaches coming but I suppose this has been happening for a while now.

Article in The Times on Saturday about it , failed to mention DR though

12 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

It definitely interesting to see this rake of younger coaches coming but I suppose this has been happening for a while now.

I guess in the UK the trend of former high profile players being fast tracked into high profile manager jobs has been seen not to work. Eg Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney.

The players that were more cerebral and were interested in the tactics like Pep and Arteta are still coming through.

Football does go in trends as well, so what works at one club will be followed by other, to varying degrees of success.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MAL said:

31 year old Fabien Hurzeler in at Brighton

14 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

7 hours ago, lobster said:

Article in The Times on Saturday about it , failed to mention DR though

Article I've just read about new bloke at Brighton on BBC Sport football page also fails to mention our man when it seemed more obvious than not to do so. There is one big difference, though: he's already been the boss before and got his team promoted in Germany. 

On 13/06/2024 at 22:17, Tylluan said:

My mate makes a living out of it. 

Him and two others have set up to solely concentrate on 'future manager' analysis. 

They break win % down into about 20 different sub genres. Teams above, teams below, points tally in expected/unexpected wins. Then there's tactics and set ups. Transfer spend against league position and onward sales. Media presentation, interaction with other club personnel. Could they work with a DoF? Current backroom staff? Wage expectations. Do they drag players with them, like Warnock did with Shaun Derry etc. How long to get going, how much do they change, possible fan expectation if they were brought in. 

And god knows what else they look at. 

There's quite a few managers agents that are taking notice of what they do and they're inundated for 'pre pack' work for agents to hawk round clubs promoting their clients

Is Garry Monk on the list?

9 hours ago, Skamp said:

Robbie Savage new manager at Macclesfield

First team coach Peter Band, one of Robbie's good mates and a stalwart at both incarnations of the club, had a massive bust up with manager Mick Clegg a couple of weeks ago and Band walked out. Savage tried to meditate but didn't happen so in the end Clegg got the push and Band has come back as assistant manager. Emile Heskey has also signed on as forwards coach. 

Savage has had to step down from his DoF role. He'd also previously turned down the DoF job at Salford, back in March, cos it would have meant giving up his shares in Macclesfield. Giggs gave himself the job instead. 

To be honest, with the money they've spent and the squad already there Macclesfield should walk their division so it's a free hit for Savage and probably why he installed himself. They've got a National League squad in the Northern Premier 

On 18/06/2024 at 07:34, HoylandOwl said:

Not too shocked by that, he’s one of the co owners or summat too isn’t he

keep him off Radio 5 Live hopefully 

Can he take Chris Sutton with him 

• Haha 1

They once did 606 from the Crucible in Sheffield and I went as part of the audience.

Mark Chapman and the other guests, one might have been Clinton but I could be wrong, spent time talking to the audience during the news, weather and traffic breaks whilst Savage scurried off stage. During the show, he spent most of his time looking at his phone and posting on Twitter and when it was over, he dashed off the stage so fast, it was a blur whilst the others stayed behind for selfies and so forth.

Any liking towards the bloke disappeared that day

I can't work out the purpose of that article.

Sounds more about Ferguson and his dislike for Wednesday for Hirst not going there than anything else. 'Name me a player'. Fucking idiot. 

4 hours ago, Andyben said:

Old news and lets be honest, in 2002 why would anyone recommend the Wednesday manager's job

Danny Wilson 23px-Flag_of_Northern_Ireland_%281953%E2 Northern Ireland 6 July 1998 21 March 2000 80 23 40 17 28.75
Paul Jewell 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 21 June 2000 12 February 2001 38 12 21 5 31.58
Peter Shreeves 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 12 February 2001 17 October 2001 31 11 11 9 35.48
Terry Yorath 23px-Flag_of_Wales.svg.png Wales 17 October 2001 31 October 2002 56 16 25 15 28.57
Chris Turner 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 7 November 2002 19 September 2004 96 29 36 31 30.21

This is David Moyes we're talking here, not Pep Guardiola.

Our biggest loss in recent years was Walter Smith or we should have gone for Jim Smith. 

I always thought a combo of Jim Smith and Roland Nilsson would have made us great. Based on nothing but potential

25 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Our biggest loss in recent years was Walter Smith or we should have gone for Jim Smith. 

I always thought a combo of Jim Smith and Roland Nilsson would have made us great. Based on nothing but potential

He was a rising star at PNE when a financially brassic Wednesday approached him.

31 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Village 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beaconowl said:

Switched off! So embarrassing and annoying with all this talent Southgate plays these tactics. ****

Bayern don’t play like this, Man City don’t, Arsenal don’t, Real don’t. Southgate does. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gamblor said:

Bayern don’t play like this, Man City don’t, Arsenal don’t, Real don’t. Southgate does. 

That’s because they’re all clubs who want to win things.  Southgate is a PL club who are happy to stay up type manager, in charge of a team of Champions League players.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Hallelujah 

FAW have seen the light

I saw a few people in the media saying he’s been treated harshly! 
As an observer from afar, the team have looked toothless for so long, yes losing Bale was of course going to be a problem but the games I’ve seen have just looked flat. Bereft of ideas and about as inspiring as England v Denmark. 

@HoylandOwl

This is a good write up of Page's tenure with Wales. He should have gone after the World Cup as the signs were there, then. Extremely limited, tactically, and we have a decent crop of youngsters coming through. The u21s top their qualification group. The objective for the next coach should be the next Euros. If we scrape World Cup qualification then fair play but it needs a four year plan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cprr898dnz0o

Edited by Tylluan
  • Like 1

Lorient got relegated last season and Le Bris took a lot of flak for it. His spending meant they had the 8th biggest wage bill in Ligue 1 but the team never gelled. He kept chopping and changing and at times played suicidal Keeganesque football instead of picking the games he could get results out of and shutting up shop in others. They got done on goal difference after needing an 8 goal swing on the last day. 

• Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Really? Let's hear it then @mkowl. No rush, get pots done first.

I am possibly going mid October international break.

And no pots needed doing as been in sunny Scarborough last couple of days 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Pfft, won't make it to the end of September...😉

9 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Last I heard was that it's tired. Very, very tired.

Handy for the town centre though.

Lad and his girlfriend are going to a gig in Scarborough and are staying in the Grand.They were saying it’s being renovated but at a very slow rate.

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

I was in Bridlington on Friday,a day out on the motorcycle.Lovely weather and while ambling around I took note of the football shirt wearing adults.The count was:-                                                     Wednesday (a) 3                                        Arsenal (h) 1.                                               Barnsley (a) 1.                                            Leeds (h) 1.                                                Man.Utd (h) 1.                                           Newcastle (h) 1.                                          Notts.Forest (a) 1.                                      Is that a recommendation for Bridlington or do we have poor taste?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fOWLmouth said:

I was in Bridlington on Friday,a day out on the motorcycle.Lovely weather and while ambling around I took note of the football shirt wearing adults.The count was:-                                                     Wednesday (a) 3                                        Arsenal (h) 1.                                               Barnsley (a) 1.                                            Leeds (h) 1.                                                Man.Utd (h) 1.                                           Newcastle (h) 1.                                          Notts.Forest (a) 1.                                      Is that a recommendation for Bridlington or do we have poor taste?

More a sign that we have too many adults that still wear football shirts 

• Haha 1

And back to the managerial merry go round. 

Bit late on this one, as it happened on Friday, but Graham Coughlan has been sacked by Newport. Difference of opinion with the owner on the direction of the club. 

On to my other job of hotel inspector, then we stayed at the Britannia because we had a gift voucher pressie to use and not fancying Redcar or Hartlepool really. 

So it was Mrs MK who said let's try it, because if nothing else it is an iconic building in Scarborough. Indeed it was first opened in 1867 

But we had read the reviews so there was a degree of trepidation, but our room was more than adequate. But we did see a few moaning at reception and another lady actually held the door for me "the less time I spend in there the better" was her reason. So I think it's a lottery.

My overriding reaction is the tired theme but there was evidence of refurbishment going in. Equally what type of hotel is it trying to be. There were the coach parties, a Norwegian school contingent, weekenders on the piss and more genteel crowd. 

A lot of wasted space but then the reception is small and incorrectly placed, the bar was small and next to reception. So you had 2 queues plus folk going through to the exit. To get to our room via the lift we had to walk past the small games room. Really ?

So a place that needs more staff for sure, the sun terrace that overlooks the South Bay needed hosing from the seagull shit, get rid of stuff that appeals to the chav crowd, who the fuck wants bingo these days. And focus on the historical architecture in the lobby. 

I mean you could spend £20m easy but you would never get the financial return as you would not get the  numbers. But if you focus on the sell it cheap crowd, coach parties you will never make the profit to invest