24/25 Wednesday transfer thread

7 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

1. Bonuses are there for rewards, not contracts.

2. DR said that his release list will be based on the market and who he thinks he can get in to replace them.

3. Johnson is on there. DR has spent half the season trying ro replace him with a proper LB, why would we keep him?

4. This takes us to 16 squad places filled. We will use 5 for loans. That leaves only 4 spots for permanent long term players. As opposed to 8 players who will be over 30 at this time next season.

Not really going to rebuild the team in his own image with 4 players. Say we get Ugbo, Poveda and McGuire, that leaves 1 player, when we really need long term replacements at CM and LB on top of that at least.

Perhaps point 2 is pertinent, that they are not seeing vastly better options out there.

Within our budget and wage structure

I can’t see why there’s so much negativity on the retained list, even if it is mainly from one person.

Nine empty squad places, plus maybe two more if new contracts aren’t accepted. And we’ve retained (if they sign up) the basis of the side that did will last season.

Bringing back Beadle, Poveda and Ugbo (or equivalent) that helped transform the team in the latter half of the season leaves six or more spaces for new additions. If you think these will be filled with like for like replacements for Hendrick and Fletcher and James, fair enough, panic, but I’m expecting at least half of them to be regular starters. The others will be strong contenders.

First game of the season and over half the team will be Rohl signings and most of the others will be players that Rohl has improved considerably from Xisco’s days (Valentin, Musaba). And a pre season together: the team will be Rohl’s, playing how he wants it to.

Shit might be around the corner, but now is the time for a bit of positivity.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

I can’t see why there’s so much negativity on the retained list, even if it is mainly from one person.

Nine empty squad places, plus maybe two more if new contracts aren’t accepted. And we’ve retained (if they sign up) the basis of the side that did will last season.

Bringing back Beadle, Poveda and Ugbo (or equivalent) that helped transform the team in the latter half of the season leaves six or more spaces for new additions. If you think these will be filled with like for like replacements for Hendrick and Fletcher and James, fair enough, panic, but I’m expecting at least half of them to be regular starters. The others will be strong contenders.

First game of the season and over half the team will be Rohl signings and most of the others will be players that Rohl has improved considerably from Xisco’s days (Valentin, Musaba). And a pre season together: the team will be Rohl’s, playing how he wants it to.

Shit might be around the corner, but now is the time for a bit of positivity.

I agree. 

There is also the possibility that Wilks and others will leave, or not make the squad if they choose to stay. 

One or two of the players we sign might be under 20. 

We are not restricted at all by resigning the ones to whom contracts have been offered. There’s loads of scope to vastly improve the squad. 

Remember DR expressing his amazement earlier in the season that we had so many contracts ending at the same time. 
If you want to change that cycle, you’ve got to retain a core squad whilst adding to it. I think we’ve just got used to the out with the old… in with the new approach every summer, so now a bit of continuity seems strange!

DR’s January window showed him bringing in players to start, not fill squad places, so I’m expecting the same this summer. There’s no misplaced loyalty to anyone and DRs already shown he’s happy to bench or leave out some of the old guard. 

There is always a balance between continuity and fresh faces. 

Let's not pretend that every new signing, even with the data due diligence undertaken these days will fit in. 

The retained players did perform OK, some will argue they produced play off level capabilities, I personally think it overstates a tad, but its about adding quality not quantity for me. And options because the one thing Rohl showed is the ability to go different styles as required

11 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

1. Bonuses are there for rewards, not contracts.

2. DR said that his release list will be based on the market and who he thinks he can get in to replace them.

3. Johnson is on there. DR has spent half the season trying ro replace him with a proper LB, why would we keep him?

4. This takes us to 16 squad places filled. We will use 5 for loans. That leaves only 4 spots for permanent long term players. As opposed to 8 players who will be over 30 at this time next season.

Not really going to rebuild the team in his own image with 4 players. Say we get Ugbo, Poveda and McGuire, that leaves 1 player, when we really need long term replacements at CM and LB on top of that at least.

What exactly constitutes ‘building a team in his own image’? 

We’ve already seen him win over this group of players and get them believing in ‘his’ image. Like others have pointed out, he’s not sentimental, he’s pragmatic. If you don’t do the work, you won’t be in the squad. 

And because he’s pragmatic he also knows he needs a base to build up from. A core group that he’s already worked with.

Having a clear out and bringing in all new faces might be ‘exciting’ to fans but it’s not going to make DR’s job necessarily easier. We’ve heard from a lot of players how tight knit that dressing room is. How ‘the great escape’ will have fostered trust and belief in each other in that core group.

And besides it’s not a given all those offered contracts, or still on a deal, will be here come the start of the season. This list is just the very first step. And it’s sensible, no frills, exactly the type of step a good manager would take.

Yours is just quite a pessimistic take imo. And I know that comes with the territory being Wednesday fans. But it seems a little unnecessary at this stage. 

• Like 5

This is DR's first 'proper' (Summer) transfer window anywhere as the boss.  That might make him slightly more cautious than otherwise.  Yes, he's got bags of experience around him, I'm sure he'll use it, but "The buck stops here" as they say. 

The good news is that he gets his own first 'real' pre-season too. 

7 hours ago, mkowl said:

Why the presumption that we will have 5 loan players leaving only 4 permanent spots ? 

Because you could have no loan players and 9 permanent players meaning very much Rohl could shape a side to his liking

I suppose we could also sign a whole range of u21 players who are quality and don’t count toward the total

By underwhelming, I mean exactly that.

I still think we'll be solidly midtable, pushing top half, bit I also think that you could let most of them go and still be in the same position, but not needing to make the same decision next year. Keeping them all on is very much kicking the can down the road, we'll just be in the same situation next season. Why not take the hit now and hit next season running?

Some may not sign. We've only had 2 not sign in the last 3 summers, which is why I said that I hope they're on reduced backup rates, so we actually have funds to get some decent players in for the future.

12 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

I still think we'll be solidly midtable, pushing top half, bit I also think that you could let most of them go and still be in the same position, but not needing to make the same decision next year. Keeping them all on is very much kicking the can down the road, we'll just be in the same situation next season. Why not take the hit now and hit next season running?

Some may not sign. We've only had 2 not sign in the last 3 summers, which is why I said that I hope they're on reduced backup rates, so we actually have funds to get some decent players in for the future.

Why not... ?  For me, simply because we're not established at this level yet.  We're still in it because we had a great  3 -game run right at the end and a solid last six overall.  Other than that we were in a relegation berth all season.  Well as we played in splurges last season, we still had a month or more, (Jan?), when we got absolutely spanked at times by teams much higher up. 

Do we really want to make it potentially harder at the start by bringing in another flood of players, like last season, albeit with a superior manager & coaching staff?  Subject to budget, I think / hope we'll have enough new faces coming in this pre-season.  By now we should seem a decent option to sign for, especially the manager, unlike in January when to a casual observer we were just down there with Rotherham.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Why not... ?  For me, simply because we're not established at this level yet.  We're still in it because we had a great  3 -game run right at the end and a solid last six overall.  Other than that we were in a relegation berth all season.  Well as we played in splurges last season, we still had a month or more, (Jan?), when we got absolutely spanked at times by teams much higher up. 

Do we really want to make it potentially harder at the start by bringing in another flood of players, like last season, albeit with a superior manager & coaching staff?  Subject to budget, I think / hope we'll have enough new faces coming in this pre-season.  By now we should seem a decent option to sign for, especially the manager, unlike in January when to a casual observer we were just down there with Rotherham.  

So why keep almost all the players who were bottom 3 all season?

These are the same nesh players who gained the same amount if points after going behind as Rotherham did.

The bright sparks who improved as the season went on were almost exclusively loans and the younger new signings.

As you said, we aren't favourites for relegation anymore scraping the barrell at the end of the window. There's no reason we can't find younger players with, if not better, at least equivalent talent for a comparable cost. We have 3 work permit waivers, which could easily be 3 first team players on reasonable wages from europe.

We pay players well past when we should be rid. Everyone* whines about it, but when it comes ro actually releasing them everyone* wants to keep them.

*Reesh, by everyone, I mean a reasonable number of vocal fans in real life and on social media.

43 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

These are the same nesh players who gained the same amount if points after going behind as Rotherham did.

The bright sparks who improved as the season went on were almost exclusively loans and the younger new signings.

As you said, we aren't favourites for relegation anymore scraping the barrell at the end of the window. There's no reason we can't find younger players with, if not better, at least equivalent talent for a comparable cost. We have 3 work permit waivers, which could easily be 3 first team players on reasonable wages from europe.

We pay players well past when we should be rid. Everyone* whines about it, but when it comes ro actually releasing them everyone* wants to keep them.

*Reesh, by everyone, I mean a reasonable number of vocal fans in real life and on social media.

Oh fuck right off.

You're an embittered fool. Fuck off back to Stalk you fit in better there.

Posted (edited)

A couple of players offered contracts suprised me a bit but not overly so - Dawson, Paterson. I'd  have been gobsmacked if the likes of Palmer, Bannan, Windass hadn't  been offered new terms. A mass clearout of the proven, trusted players would have been folly; and Röhl is no fool. Keeping a nucleus of the solid performers of last season and adding 8 or 9 quality players makes absolute sense. Main thing is that we've  been able to ditch the dross.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

1 hour ago, Tewksbury said:

I don't agree with that, Vaulks, Johnson, Palmer, Iorfa, Windass all improved and contributed to our results improving during second half of season. 

Some of the loans like Ugbo and Beadle contributed too whilst some of the loan signings did very little, Hendrick and Fletcher deserve a mention on that score. 

20 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

A couple of players offered contracts suprised me a bit but not overly so - Dawson, Paterson. I'd  have been gobsmacked if the likes of Palmer, Bannan, Windass hadn't  been offered new terms. A mass clearout of the proven, trusted players would have been folly; and Röhl is no fool. Keeping a nucleus of the solid performers of last season and adding 8 or 9 quality players makes absolute sense. Main thing is that we've  been able to ditch the dross.

Paterson wasn't offered terms we took up the extra year on his contract. At worst he's a valuable versatile squad player or he's a saleable asset 

• Like 1

Joe Wildsmith let go by Derby - played 40 games last season. Dawson contract offer is stronger I guess but can’t seeing it being as good a deal as he’s currently on. 

18 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Paterson wasn't offered terms we took up the extra year on his contract. At worst he's a valuable versatile squad player or he's a saleable asset 

Yes I know. The only reason I was a wee bit surprised that we exercised the option was that somes online sages claimed he was on high wages. See that was my schoolboy error. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EBRA said:

Joe Wildsmith let go by Derby - played 40 games last season. Dawson contract offer is stronger I guess but can’t seeing it being as good a deal as he’s currently on. 

He's getting shed loads from man city 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

1867?

3 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

1867 ‘till you die.

59 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

I think the club has every one of the decisions on each player absolutely spot on, just hope they all sign up. Dawson was a no brainer for me, as long as he's a number 2 and Paterson was as well, great asset to have when presented with a scenario like we were v Norwich.

I'm so looking forward to how DR conducts the recruitment now, hope we get some stars in (on the cheap obviously).

I have no issues with any of the decisions. Main thing for me was the general concept of retaining  the best of last years squad to provide a sound base to build on. We know that we have the nucleus to be a mid table team. Just need to bolt on a few quality incomings.

• Like 2

On 17/05/2024 at 18:12, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Everyone bar Dawson did the business on the pitch in the run in and deserve a contract offer.

Hopefully we still look to offload a couple like Wilks and maybe Smith as long as we can get an upgrade.

Be a bit difficult NOT to get an upgrade on the Wilks we've seen so far!   

13 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

I have no issues with any of the decisions. Main thing for me was the general concept of retaining  the best of last years squad to provide a sound base to build on. We know that we have the nucleus to be a mid table team. Just need to bolt on a few quality incomings.

Exactly. Instead of total chop and change, rip up the previous season’s squad and go again, we now have a manager who wants us to be in a position where we have a squad of players whose contracts don’t all end at the same time, or within a year or so.

I also agree with DR offering new contracts to the players he has. They maintained a positive team spirit when everyone had written us off, they kept us up, they’ve bought into and responded to his playing style, training methods and work ethic, they believed in DR and what he is trying to build and achieve, and therefore will be the perfect players to lead by example and show new players the ‘Wednesday Way’ when we bring them in.

That retention list once again shows what a forward thinking and absolute class act of a manager we have. If DC is able to back him then the good times at SWFC are just around the corner.

*** apologies to The 1867 Group for spreading such positivity about SWFC ***

• Like 4

Sorry lifted from Owls Talk but here goes.   Released lists from 14 Championship teams including the 3 relegated.

Birmingham City (Relegated from Championship)

Released: Neil Etheridge, Gary Gardner, Scott Hogan, Marc Roberts, Ivan Sunjic

In talks: Lukas Jutkiewicz, John Ruddy.

Option activated: Keshi Anderson

Blackburn Rovers

Released: Sam Barnes, Lenni Cirino, Ben Fyles, Jay Haddow, Jared Harlock, Ethan Walker and Charlie Weston

Options activated: Sam Gallagher, Tyrhys Dolan

In talks: Kyle McFadzean, John Fleck

Bristol City

Released: Matty James, Andy King, Andreas Weimann, Ben Acey, Zac Bell, McIntosh Boyd, Marlee Francois, Callum Hutton, Duncan Idehen, Dylan Kadji, Harry Leeson, Harvey Wiles-Richards 

In talks: Joe Williams, Romani Rowe

Coventry City

Released: Liam Kelly, Simon Moore, Dermi Lusala, Bradley Stretton

In talks: Callum O'Hare, Luke Bell

Derby County (Promoted from League One)

Released: Dwight Gayle, Scott Loach, Korey Smith, Martyn Waghorn, Joe Wildsmith, Conor Hourihane

In talks: James Collins, Louie Sibley

Options activated: Tom Barkhuizen, Craig Forsyth, Liam Thompson

Huddersfield Town (Relegated to League One)

Released: Jordan Rhodes, Brahima Diarra, Connor Mahoney, Yuta Nakayama, Aaron Rowe, Charles Ondo, Giosue Bellagambi, Mustapha Olagunju, Dylan Helliwell, Archie Sheppard, David Adewoju, Shane Maroodza, Michael Acquah, Myles Bright, Ben Midgley, Hazeem Bakre, Freddie Fletcher, Aaron Ojungu

In talks: Jonathan Hogg, Michael Stone, Donnell Garrick

Options exercised: Neo Eccleston, Fope Deru

Hull City

Released: Greg Docherty, Adama Traore, Cyrus Christie, Vaughn Covil, David Robson, Billy Sharp, Aaron Connolly

Middlesbrough

Released: Paddy McNair, Liam Roberts

In talks: Jamie Jones

Millwall

Released: Shaun Hutchinson, Bartosz Bialkowski

Options activated: George Evans, Oliver Evans, Ra’ees Bangura-Williams, Henry Hearn

Preston North End

Released: Ben Woodburn, Greg Cunningham

In talks: Alan Browne, Ched Evans (player/coach), Lewis Leigh

Rotherham United (Relegated to League One)

Released: Cafu, Curtis Durose, Grant Hall, Joel Holvey, Lee Peltier, Nat Ford, Sam Clucas, Sean Morrison, Shane Ferguson, Tolaji Bola, Tyler Blackett

In talks: Jamie Lindsay

Stoke City

Released: Tyrese Campbell, Ciaran Clark, Wesley

In talks: Enda Stevens

Extended: Jordan Thompson, Frank Fielding

Sunderland

Released: Corry Evans, Ellis Taylor, Jack Diamond, Bradley Dack

In talks: Cuba Mitchell, Daniel Cameron, Henry Fieldson, Jenson Jones, Luke Bell, Tom Lavery

Sheffield United (Relegated from Premier League)

Released: Chris Basham, George Baldock, Oliver Norwood, Wes Foderingham, Max Lowe

23 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Not much in there I'd be keen on

Tyrese Campbell and Aaron Connelly maybe.

Think there is a player in Campbell and Connelly is always busy.

I have had Shaun Hutchinson on my wish list in the past but obviously a bit ageing now so won't be going there. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Sorry lifted from Owls Talk but here goes.   Released lists from 14 Championship teams including the 3 relegated.

Birmingham City (Relegated from Championship)

Released: Neil Etheridge, Gary Gardner, Scott Hogan, Marc Roberts, Ivan Sunjic

In talks: Lukas Jutkiewicz, John Ruddy.

Option activated: Keshi Anderson

Blackburn Rovers

Released: Sam Barnes, Lenni Cirino, Ben Fyles, Jay Haddow, Jared Harlock, Ethan Walker and Charlie Weston

Options activated: Sam Gallagher, Tyrhys Dolan

In talks: Kyle McFadzean, John Fleck

Bristol City

Released: Matty James, Andy King, Andreas Weimann, Ben Acey, Zac Bell, McIntosh Boyd, Marlee Francois, Callum Hutton, Duncan Idehen, Dylan Kadji, Harry Leeson, Harvey Wiles-Richards 

In talks: Joe Williams, Romani Rowe

Coventry City

Released: Liam Kelly, Simon Moore, Dermi Lusala, Bradley Stretton

In talks: Callum O'Hare, Luke Bell

Derby County (Promoted from League One)

Released: Dwight Gayle, Scott Loach, Korey Smith, Martyn Waghorn, Joe Wildsmith, Conor Hourihane

In talks: James Collins, Louie Sibley

Options activated: Tom Barkhuizen, Craig Forsyth, Liam Thompson

Huddersfield Town (Relegated to League One)

Released: Jordan Rhodes, Brahima Diarra, Connor Mahoney, Yuta Nakayama, Aaron Rowe, Charles Ondo, Giosue Bellagambi, Mustapha Olagunju, Dylan Helliwell, Archie Sheppard, David Adewoju, Shane Maroodza, Michael Acquah, Myles Bright, Ben Midgley, Hazeem Bakre, Freddie Fletcher, Aaron Ojungu

In talks: Jonathan Hogg, Michael Stone, Donnell Garrick

Options exercised: Neo Eccleston, Fope Deru

Hull City

Released: Greg Docherty, Adama Traore, Cyrus Christie, Vaughn Covil, David Robson, Billy Sharp, Aaron Connolly

Middlesbrough

Released: Paddy McNair, Liam Roberts

In talks: Jamie Jones

Millwall

Released: Shaun Hutchinson, Bartosz Bialkowski

Options activated: George Evans, Oliver Evans, Ra’ees Bangura-Williams, Henry Hearn

Preston North End

Released: Ben Woodburn, Greg Cunningham

In talks: Alan Browne, Ched Evans (player/coach), Lewis Leigh

Rotherham United (Relegated to League One)

Released: Cafu, Curtis Durose, Grant Hall, Joel Holvey, Lee Peltier, Nat Ford, Sam Clucas, Sean Morrison, Shane Ferguson, Tolaji Bola, Tyler Blackett

In talks: Jamie Lindsay

Stoke City

Released: Tyrese Campbell, Ciaran Clark, Wesley

In talks: Enda Stevens

Extended: Jordan Thompson, Frank Fielding

Sunderland

Released: Corry Evans, Ellis Taylor, Jack Diamond, Bradley Dack

In talks: Cuba Mitchell, Daniel Cameron, Henry Fieldson, Jenson Jones, Luke Bell, Tom Lavery

Sheffield United (Relegated from Premier League)

Released: Chris Basham, George Baldock, Oliver Norwood, Wes Foderingham, Max Lowe

Didn't realise Fleck was a Blackburn player. Wonder if Wildpig will take Fat Billy back to Bumhole

Edited by Ozzie

9 minutes ago, Reesh said:

The lad who does our excellent analysis on twitter has done a bit of a wishlist/player research on there and he highlighted Jonathan Panzo from Forest.

Left footed defender equally at home as a left back or left sided centre half and happy in a 3 or a 4. Plenty of pace and work rate 

Forest paid £1.7m for him when he was 20 but he's bounced around on loan ever since. His contract is up at the end of next season but won't get renewed so quite a good option for a bargain. 

• Like 1

Just now, Owling_Wolf said:

I would kill to get Callum O'Hare from Cov. Obviously doubt that we would!   

More chance of Queen Liz giving a royal pardon to the 7/7 bombers.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Canterburyowl said:

Pierce Charles called up to senior NI squad for next 2 friendlies, it has crossed my mind that he might be our 1 next season and Cam has been offered a contract based on being our 2. Just a thought...

Can't imagine that, pal: he's virtually not played first team football.  Yet. 

Edited by Owling_Wolf

47 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I would kill to get Callum O'Hare from Cov. Obviously doubt that we would!   

Likely he will get an offer from the prem I would think

On 15/02/2024 at 21:42, Tylluan said:

We've picked up Gabriel Otegbayo on trial after his release from Burnley. 19 year old Irish centre half. 6' 4" but very fast and comfortable with the ball at his feet. Played twice for the 21s and will be signed as a 21 if successful. 

Burnley picked him up from Cobh Ramblers but, interestingly, they picked him up from a coaching company that works 1 on 1 with players. He's not the product of a recognised youth system but rather individualised 1-1 coaching, a bit like a tennis player or athlete. His first taste of group football was Cobh u15s.

There's quite a few of these type of coaching groups springing up now within the youth system. It's a South American model without the 3rd party ownership. The coach signs the kid, gets paid for the coaching, then also gets paid by any club he 'recommends' them to. 

This is what I wrote when he first came over. 

He is a future first team player if he's handled right. The lad is immense 

• Like 2