24/25 Wednesday transfer thread

5 minutes ago, mkowl said:

But confident enough to criticise recruitment despite failing in his career 

To be fair you don't have to have been Beckham to criticise Lee fucking Bullen do you

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Reesh said:

Saw that. Bullen really is fucking clueless.

Does that mean Garry Monk is a genius for signing Windass twice?

Ffs,cancel that. The tweet was referring to Nyoni 😚

Edited by EastCraigsOwl
I'm fucking stupid
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Southy_SWFC said:

Having watched McGuire a lot, I can't decide whether he'll do well in this league or bomb. 

4 hours ago, Reesh said:

From the brief highlights I've seen he looks a player but the standard is much different 

Stevie May???

• Like 1

After his loan spell at Exeter I thought we might be getting an improved version back but, let’s be honest, over the past couple of seasons he hasn’t really kicked on. By no means the worst keeper we’ve ever had but not quite up to it as a first choice at this level and time to move on. 

• Like 5

I had hoped a good season in L1 might have also given Dawson the development time to be ok in the Championship but for whatever reason we look susceptible when he plays at that level. At 29 the writing is on the wall so it’s the right call. Is he heading to Rotherham?

Remains to be seen where Wildsmith ends up but maybe Derby feel the same about him too 

Posted (edited)

Lets play a game

Lee Grant or Scott Carson?

Richard O' Donnell v Rob Burch V Chris Adamson?

Chris Kirkland or Westwood?

Chris Woods or Kevin Pressman?

Dawson or Wildsmith?

Peacock-Farrell or Beadle?

Overall best Wednesday keeper? 

It might seem obvious to some, but I'm curious. I grew up watching Kevin Pressman. But we have had some decent keepers over the years. I'd probably rate Keiren Westwood as the best keeper I have seen.

Edited by tomcore
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomcore said:

Lets play a game

Lee Grant or Scott Carson?

Richard O' Donnell v Rob Burch V Chris Adamson?

Chris Kirkland or Westwood?

Chris Woods or Kevin Pressman?

Dawson or Wildsmith?

Peacock-Farrell or Beadle?

It might seem obvious to some, but I'm curious. I grew up watching Kevin Pressman. But we have had some decent keepers over the years. I'd probably rate Keiren Westwood as the best keeper I have seen.

Westwood is the best for me. KP was a fat overrated ****

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Westwood is the best for me. KP was a fat overrated ****

Yep, can't forgive him for laughing when we got relegated at Brighton.

Edited by tomcore
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

It’s a trickier question when you add into the equation the team they played in ie what kind of defence they had in front of them. Westwood may be the best, of the period I have witnessed. However, I think Hodge was very good and very consistent, both a good shot stopper, commanded his box and kept whomever played in front of him well marshalled and whilst we had some decent defenders back then I also don’t think we didn’t necessarily always have the highest quality all the time.

After that I’d say Kirkland and Bolder followed by Pressman, Beadle and Woods. I was never a fan or convinced by Woods well before he joined us.

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

2 hours ago, tomcore said:

Lets play a game

Scott Carson?

Richard O' Donnell

Westwood?

Kevin Pressman?

Wildsmith?

Beadle?

Honourable mentions for Bywater and Stockdale

Emmy Martinez

8 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

I thought he’d stay to be honest.

Thrown under a bus by Jos Luhakay, like many of the younger players back then that were nowhere near ready for first team football. Should have been playing cup matches only.

Given Wildsmith had more first team football experience, and both keepers had the crime of not being Westwood - Joe Wildsmith should have been number one during Luhakays reign. Always thought Joe was the better keeper out of the two, and rarely palmed the ball out forward to opposition strikers.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Even though only a loan spell at the Club Carson would get my vote as best Keeper, followed by Westwood.

Another loanee Iain Turner was decent too.

Do think Beadle will go on to be a very very good Keeper. 

I would agree. Carson was outstanding in that loan spell, he’s the best keeper we’ve had. Hodge was very good for four years, Pressman was very good for probably four years. Westwood was also very good for four years too. Grant was good during his whole spell. Woods had two decent years. Kirkland had two good years.

We’ve not done bad with the keepers. I wasn’t a fan of Bywater but he was decent.

We’ve also had some right toss in goal too, and I mean utter dross.

• Like 1

Beadle will play in the premier league.

For someone so young, he’s got every tool you need to be a top keeper. His agility and reactions are frighteningly good.

I don’t blame Dawson for wanting a move, like Joe Wildsmith, he needs a move elsewhere where he can start again. Rohl clearly wants something different.

Wildsmith will get a decent club this summer.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I would agree. Carson was outstanding in that loan spell, he’s the best keeper we’ve had. Hodge was very good for four years, Pressman was very good for probably four years. Westwood was also very good for four years too. Grant was good during his whole spell. Woods had two decent years. Kirkland had two good years.

We’ve not done bad with the keepers. I wasn’t a fan of Bywater but he was decent.

We’ve also had some right toss in goal too, and I mean utter dross.

Was same re Bywater.  His Goalkeeping skills were not the best but he was an excellent organiser of the defence.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tomcore said:

Yep, can't forgive him for laughing when we got relegated at Brighton.

Honestly don't remember that, but he was a good keeper albeit a few fuck ups along the way. 

Westwood has probably been the standout for me. ( starting from Bob Bolder era, was No1 when I first went). Why the tashy tit dropped him is mystifying. and then he puts in Calamity above Wildsmith...

If Dawson wasn't an Owl he'd have been bombed years ago, not up to it and hasn't progressed. If we hadn't brought Beadle in we'd have been relegated long before the season was done.

Seen some say he was a hero in Miracle and Wembley. Fuckinghell.. He was majorly at fault for the 1st leg and us being in the playoffs after dropping from autos. Thanks Bye.

25 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

Honestly don't remember that, but he was a good keeper albeit a few fuck ups along the way. 

Westwood has probably been the standout for me. ( starting from Bob Bolder era, was No1 when I first went). Why the tashy tit dropped him is mystifying. and then he puts in Calamity above Wildsmith...

If Dawson wasn't an Owl he'd have been bombed years ago, not up to it and hasn't progressed. If we hadn't brought Beadle in we'd have been relegated long before the season was done.

Seen some say he was a hero in Miracle and Wembley. Fuckinghell.. He was majorly at fault for the 1st leg and us being in the playoffs after dropping from autos. Thanks Bye.

He did it. Bang in front of the away fans.

1 hour ago, Ozzie said:

With respect mate that's not true. I'm no Dawson fan, but his save at the end of the first leg stopped Peterborough making it 5 and that would have been game over.

3 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

With respect mate that's not true. I'm no Dawson fan, but his save at the end of the first leg stopped Peterborough making it 5 and that would have been game over.

Check the other goals

• Like 1

On Pressman, was noticeable when doing the 30 years ago thread just how well he was playing at that time.

I think from about 93-97 he was genuinely a top keeper, hence getting into the England B squad, and I would say a bit unlucky that keepers like Ian Walker got ahead of him.

11 minutes ago, Chelters said:

On Pressman, was noticeable when doing the 30 years ago thread just how well he was playing at that time.

I think from about 93-97 he was genuinely a top keeper, hence getting into the England B squad, and I would say a bit unlucky that keepers like Ian Walker got ahead of him.

That well that successive managers brought in other keepers as he wasn't good enough?

28 minutes ago, Reesh said:

That well that successive managers brought in other keepers as he wasn't good enough?

If you mean at Wednesday then after 97 I agree with you.

For England I thought Walker was shit and didn’t deserve to be ahead at that time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chelters said:

If you mean at Wednesday then after 97 I agree with you.

For England I thought Walker was shit and didn’t deserve to be ahead at that time. 

He was poor between 93-97 really as well....

40 minutes ago, BraddersTim said:

Check the save in the final from Norwood...top quality.

Cardiff at Home. 

How may times have we come up against keepers playing a blinder? Inevitably they go up the other end with one shot against Dawson and it's in, then he does a Kes dive.

He's simply just not good enough. Had his chances and blown it.

1 hour ago, Ozzie said:

Cardiff at Home. 

How may times have we come up against keepers playing a blinder? Inevitably they go up the other end with one shot against Dawson and it's in, then he does a Kes dive.

He's simply just not good enough. Had his chances and blown it.

Wish him all the best, but if we'd  gone down could never forgive him for that Cardiff debacle.