24/25 Wednesday transfer thread

12 hours ago, Reesh said:

That is from a twitter account known to post bollocks.

I seen that earlier today, Birmingham fan commented that Wednesday couldn't afford £4.

I told him £4 is enough to buy all Birmingham players. 😄

Callum Paterson may be a wanted man

He's on Barnsley's list after they got knocked back by Notts County for offering a ludicrously low amount for Langstaff. 

Also Hearts are expected to come knocking if, as expected, they lose Shankland 

13 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Callum Paterson may be a wanted man

He's on Barnsley's list after they got knocked back by Notts County for offering a ludicrously low amount for Langstaff. 

Also Hearts are expected to come knocking if, as expected, they lose Shankland 

Think Rohl is keen on him and what he offers!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Think Rohl is keen on him and what he offers!

Yeah I get that sense too, I didn’t think he would be but as we’ve discussed his positives and negatives to death in here, he almost makes it impossible to ignore him. 
While it maybe a prerequisite for some that players should run their blood to watter, he’s the epitome of that AND the team player all in one. 

• Like 5

Get ready for the meltdown on social media. 
Disappointed a little but I think we should be looking for better, his goalscoring record is quite poor for a midfielder. 2 goals in 77 appearances for us and he's almost 31 years of age. We probably offered him a one year deal whilst Oxford might have offered him a 3 year deal.

2 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Get ready for the meltdown on social media. 
Disappointed a little but I think we should be looking for better, his goalscoring record is quite poor for a midfielder. 2 goals in 77 appearances for us and he's almost 31 years of age. We probably offered him a one year deal whilst Oxford might have offered him a 3 year deal.

Came in, did a job on the pitch and was an absolute star off it.

For us to improve we need better and younger, more dynamic.

I wish him nothing but the best

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Whilst I completely understand the argument in favour of trying to trade up from Will, that's really knocked my duck off.  Really like the lad: a great attitude whilst playing, celebrating and going the extra mile for those less fortunate.  I have really enjoyed his time with us. Good luck to him, obviously: he absolutely deserves it.  

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Did a good job for us, but if he wants out and play in a stadium with 3 sides then basically fuck off. 

That's a dismal comment, IMO.  Why do you think it necessary? What if he didn't want out, but the offer he received left him little choice, or he was told that he wouldn't be expected to start?  All common or realistic happenings in football but hardly deserving of that nastiness towards a class act. 

• Like 1

It’s a little gutting to see him leave in that, he had a big impact last season, his form oct - xmas was excellent, and coming back in towards the end, excellent too. 

That tackle at Blackburn, epitomised him. Committed, put his body on the line, for the cause. 

Yes we can get a better player technically, and I hope we do, but we’ll do well to get another one in that position with his heart and desire. 

Off the pitch, absolute role model professional. 

I did think he’d be more of a squad player, and that’s probably what would be right and maybe that’s what DR did, so perhaps could be why he’s left. 

Good luck Will, you’ll be remembered fondly 

• Like 9

All the best Will. Thanks for your time with us and the effort put in. Good luck for the remaining years of your career.

If we want to kick on we need to upgrade and space needs to be made to bring them in.

It’s the right time for all concerned but he will get a warm reception at S6 next season hopefully.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Couple of whispers I've heard is Vaulks has a 3 year deal at Oxford as opposed to our 1 year plus 1 year option offer.

If true, good for him. Any **** that boos him needs seeing too IMO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Couple of whispers I've heard is Vaulks has a 3 year deal at Oxford as opposed to our 1 year plus 1 year option offer.

Wouldn't  be surprised. Good lad and did a decent job on the pitch especially in the run in last season.  I'd have liked him to stay but I think a 1 + 1 was the prudent offer 

Wish him well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

That's a dismal comment, IMO.  Why do you think it necessary? What if he didn't want out, but the offer he received left him little choice, or he was told that he wouldn't be expected to start?  All common or realistic happenings in football but hardly deserving of that nastiness towards a class act. 

It's more dismal that people buy the impression that players love the club, tug the shirt clutch the badge shit, blow smoke up yer arse make you feel better about yourself.

They do it for the money and the financial security of their family. And good for them for that.

I have no emotional attachment really to any player, they do a job I pay to watch em do that job. They come they go

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

It’s a little gutting to see him leave in that, he had a big impact last season, his form oct - xmas was excellent, and coming back in towards the end, excellent too. 

That tackle at Blackburn, epitomised him. Committed, put his body on the line, for the cause. 

Yes we can get a better player technically, and I hope we do, but we’ll do well to get another one in that position with his heart and desire. 

Off the pitch, absolute role model professional. 

I did think he’d be more of a squad player, and that’s probably what would be right and maybe that’s what DR did, so perhaps could be why he’s left. 

Good luck Will, you’ll be remembered fondly 

Yes well done for doing the job you were paid to do a tad better than some of your work colleagues 

Then like the rest of us, go somewhere else if the pay or length of contract is better

26 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

If true, good for him. Any **** that boos him needs seeing too IMO

If he does a two footed tackle on a new midfielder do we still have to be nice. Asking for a friend 

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

If he does a two footed tackle on a new midfielder do we still have to be nice. Asking for a friend 

He should get a decent applause before the game.

Then it's gloves off, he is the enemy.

Unless he wants to stick one or two in his own net.

Then we're back to stage one 😃

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

It's more dismal that people buy the impression that players love the club, tug the shirt clutch the badge shit, blow smoke up yer arse make you feel better about yourself.

They do it for the money and the financial security of their family. And good for them for that.

I have no emotional attachment really to any player, they do a job I pay to watch em do that job. They come they go

Very decent player on the pitch, off it he was immense for local causes and a cracking ambassador for our club, did he have to do that, I very much doubt it, total respect to him from me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

Sounds about right. Don’t think we could compete with that. 

4 hours ago, mkowl said:

P1: Plenty of fans do, plenty don't too.  No doubt there's a chunk in the middle.

P2: Yep, normal. 

P3: Me too, however I will tip the hat to those I've seen stand above the others and be worthwhile humans during their work with us. The ones who clearly go the extra mile when they don't have to.  And especially when I've seen the kind of behaviour from some of the others we've suffered recently, I'll try not tell the most decent ones to fuck off. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

P1: Plenty of fans do, plenty don't too.  No doubt there's a chunk in the middle.

P2: Yep, normal. 

P3: Me too, however I will tip the hat to those I've seen stand above the others and be worthwhile humans during their work with us. The ones who clearly go the extra mile when they don't have to.  And especially when I've seen the kind of behaviour from some of the others we've suffered recently, I'll try not tell the most decent ones to fuck off. 

I will agree on your last point, though more what Vaulks does off the pitch should be the norm with players not the exception. 

The "fuck off" wasn't aimed per se at Vaulks, its just a generic aim when players choose to leave. 

They are no different to any other employee leaving an organisation. Perhaps I am simply a hard nosed employer, staff come and go, some I like some I never did. 

But I don't bemoan their lack of loyalty or buy into their displays of it. It always makes me laugh when fans cite it, then you ask what they are up to "oh I moved from Smiths Eng as Jones were paying 50p an hour more"

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I will agree on your last point, though more what Vaulks does off the pitch should be the norm with players not the exception. 

The "fuck off" wasn't aimed per se at Vaulks, its just a generic aim when players choose to leave. 

They are no different to any other employee leaving an organisation. Perhaps I am simply a hard nosed employer, staff come and go, some I like some I never did. 

But I don't bemoan their lack of loyalty or buy into their displays of it. It always makes me laugh when fans cite it, then you ask what they are up to "oh I moved from Smiths Eng as Jones were paying 50p an hour more"

This Jones you mention...

😋

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

At least tag me in when you talk about me 😉

• Haha 1

Vaulks has been a really good signing. Was good in League One and good last season. Don’t blame him one bit if he wants a bit more security long term, and I don’t blame us for not wanting to offer him a long term deal. We need to get our average age down and bring in athleticism.

Its clearly going to be a significant midfield rebuild for next season which I am all for.

• Like 4