24/25 Wednesday transfer thread

I had randomly seen some footage of Nade before and yeah looked strong as an ox. Reminds me of Cipre at West Brom which is probably why they are also trying to sign him. Equally surprising that we are now linked too. 

26 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Hope they don't throw their Troyes out their pram when we say fuck off.

I mean he made a difference but hardly a world beater 

He is a vital cog to how we play and when you analyse his game he is just what we need. 

7 hours ago, Reesh said:

He is a vital cog to how we play and when you analyse his game he is just what we need. 

But not 5m vital, be other options that would work for less money. 

Our history of paying over the odds for players that made little positive difference in the end is quite renowned.

Basically no player is worth chasing 

Whatever price we agree for Ugbo it won’t be a lump sum anyway. It may be they want more if we hit certain targets or a sell on % but we will be wary of overloading ourselves with caveats as if he was a saleable asset it’s got to be worth our while. 

13 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

I'd have thought he'll go and play where he wants, he holds all the cards. Troyes desperate to get rid for financial reasons, i.e. his wages and he'll be holding a gun to their heads to accept our offer. The only way he'll go elsewhere is if we get gazumped on wages.

DC will play hard ball, it's not like he hasn't been shafted a few times.

The only other thing is that, despite their league status, Troyes are part of the City Group.  I don't remotely understand what particular effect that has in this case but suspect that they might not be as helpless as we might otherwards have thought.

14 minutes ago, Reesh said:

A quick Google says that Ajaccio were relegated due to financial issues 

Ajaccio have since announced on their Twitter that they've appealed and been reinstated. To make it more complicated, Bordeaux have been demoted for the same thing (so Troyes are back in ligue 2), but they've apparently been told if they (Bordeaux) can get their takeover sorted in the next fortnight they won't be and (I think) Troyes will be back down. But honestly fuck knows...

Edited by Otto_Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, BraddersTim said:

@Tylluanwho was the striker you said was just as good an option as Ugbo?  Any idea if we're still interested? 

@Reesh posted that we'd been linked with Sory Kaba who's still available and did well at Cardiff a couple of years ago. 

I've previously mentioned Liam Delap being a good option on loan but he's just signed for Ipswich for £15m plus another £5m in add ons. 

Ipswich are also after Szmodics and have nibbled with a £6m offer and they're also looking for a forward with PL experience so where that leaves Al Hamadi and Hirst I don't know. 

We were tenuously linked with Al Hamadi before he went to Ipswich and we got Ugbo. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

@Reesh posted that we'd been linked with Sory Kaba who's still available and did well at Cardiff a couple of years ago. 

I've previously mentioned Liam Delap being a good option on loan but he's just signed for Ipswich for £15m plus another £5m in add ons. 

Ipswich are also after Szmodics and have nibbled with a £6m offer and they're also looking for a forward with PL experience so where that leaves Al Hamadi and Hirst I don't know. 

We were tenuously linked with Al Hamadi before he went to Ipswich and we got Ugbo. 

We've been linked with Al Hamadi loosely this summer too

46 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Kaba is the one I was thinking of. Is he still a shout?

9 minutes ago, BraddersTim said:

Kaba is the one I was thinking of. Is he still a shout?

He's contracted with Las Palmas until 2028 but they want rid of him, either on loan or permanent. They paid €2m for him and want at least half that back. 

We've been linked, as have Rangers 

55 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

He's contracted with Las Palmas until 2028 but they want rid of him, either on loan or permanent. They paid €2m for him and want at least half that back. 

We've been linked, as have Rangers 

I'm getting quite concerned about the lack of midfield options.

I know @KrolMonghas alluded to a couple but we need to get the heart of  the team sorted ASAP.

I'd rather we punt the Ugbo cash into two young CM to give us depth in the one area we continually struggled last season.

Given say £4m to strengthen, who would you be looking at @Tylluan.

Pay fees to PL teams? Pick up from our peers or any free agents worthwhile?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andyben said:

I know @KrolMonghas alluded to a couple but we need to get the heart of  the team sorted ASAP.

I'd rather we punt the Ugbo cash into two young CM to give us depth in the one area we continually struggled last season.

Chalaboah and Ingelsson will be fine

9 hours ago, Andyben said:

Balance in the squad is imperative 

The best Wednesday sides and most successful ones had strong central midfield players

9 hours ago, Andyben said:

Relying on just two central midfielders for a whole season  but eleven forwards / wingers and we'll go down. 

Oh and I thought you said Inglesson was a winger an all...😉

I said he'd played as an 11 last year but is more of a box to box man.

I'm surprised you remembered that 

On 16/07/2024 at 21:15, HoylandOwl said:

Just heard a rumour that Troyes are being stupid and talking that only upward of £5m as being acceptable for Ugbo

Pity Jérémy Hélan never played for them?

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

I said he'd played as an 11 last year but is more of a box to box man.

I'm surprised you remembered that 

Mind you, the club have put Jamal Lowe in with the midfielders, but call him a striker so fuck knows what Rohl's up to :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

We’ve got a few weeks before the season starts. I expect us to have one midfield player, and a striker in on perms before the first game. If Bernard is signing, that’s the centre half. Any players after that will be loans from the prem under the age of 21. And we can sort that up to the end of August. I expect one of the loans to be a central midfield player.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Andyben said:

Some mithering fannies about 😀.  Most stable pre season for ages with an obvious Managerial talent and a few weeks before the season starts.

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint
  • Like 1