24/25 Wednesday transfer thread

17 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Some mithering fannies about 😀.  Most stable pre season for ages with an obvious Managerial talent and a few weeks before the season starts.

Spot on!

45 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Some mithering fannies about 😀.  Most stable pre season for ages with an obvious Managerial talent and a few weeks before the season starts.

just to clarify I have not nicked Andyben's log in 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Andyben said:

Given say £4m to strengthen, who would you be looking at @Tylluan.

I'd have gone for Juninho Bacuna at Birmingham but he's on his way to Turkey unless we're the unnamed Championship club trying to scupper the deal. 

West Brom are open to offers for John Swift. Over 300 championship games and 9 goals in 37 appearances last season. In final year of his contract and not expected to feature as much this season 

CB wise, if Bernard is a no then I'd see if Liverpool were loaning out Nathaniel Phillips again. Cardiff last season and Celtic the season before. In the last year of his contract as well. 

• Thanks 1

Great to have Bernard back. As we are playing from the back I think we need to replace Diaby though he’s too erratic. 

Im intrigued by Rohls reference to looking for diamonds. I wonder if he means rough diamonds or just a bit of ready made quality on loan 

10 minutes ago, TheExile said:

Great to have Bernard back. As we are playing from the back I think we need to replace Diaby though he’s too erratic. 

Im intrigued by Rohls reference to looking for diamonds. I wonder if he means rough diamonds or just a bit of ready made quality on loan 

I think he’ll bring another CB in before the start. Of the ones we have, only Dish is comfortable with the ball at his feet. 

I suspect Rohl will have some loans lined up. Young players who have the quality but are still rough diamonds as they perhaps lack the experience and consistency. 

• Like 1

The static midfield and dodgy wingbacks has been our biggest hurdle with playing from the back.

The CBs are going to look jumpy when they have nobody to pass to in midfield or out wide and when they do it comes straight back with 2 players following it in at full pelt half the time.

Look at the difference in what follows from when Valentin gets the ball from a CB to when Palmer/Johnson gets it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheExile said:

There'll be games when we need a Diaby or a Ihiekwe. The likes Kieffer Moore and Macaulay Langstaff will be aiming to target the likes of Famewo and Bernard and Diaby is very effective at being a brick wall if that's all he has to do. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

There'll be games when we need a Diaby or a Ihiekwe. The likes Kieffer Moore and Macaulay Langstaff will be aiming to target the likes of Famewo and Bernard and Diaby is very effective at being a brick wall if that's all he has to do. 

Absolutely agree with that but hope we've been giving the estimable Bambo hypnotherapy, so we don't see any more of him trying to dribble the ball out whilst last man!   🤯

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Yeah we will need an Ihiekwe (I think he’s our best traditional “defender”) and Diaby is decent when tracking an attacker down the channel but he plays like an individual and was at fault way too many times to be trusted if we want to move forward. Happy to be proven wrong but whilst we do need physical and old school defenders in some scenarios I’m not sure he’s in that bracket either 

Edited by TheExile

7 hours ago, Bob Petrie said:

Troyes get a windfall… so maybe don’t need to haggle so hard over Ugbo? Unless of course it’s all a City Group internal paper exercise?

IMG_3429.thumb.jpeg.ef56fa0b358558f3ca04fa90c84b7382.jpeg

How can this happen, but Man U weren't allowed to sign Todibo from Nice because of the common ownership?

21 minutes ago, Andyben said:

How can this happen, but Man U weren't allowed to sign Todibo from Nice because of the common ownership?

City do what they want by paying for better lawyers 

• Like 1

I don't know where he fits into either team.

Harrogate have two established keepers in Mark Oxley and James Belshaw. Both fighting for the 1 shirt as they played half a season each last season. Phil Priestley is a solid enough keeper coach but he's been at Harrogate since 2017 for a reason. 

If he goes to Mansfield he'll start number 2 behind Christy Pym but Scott Flinders is also there. Adam Collin only has a UEFA B licence and got promoted from the kids set up.

2 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

I don't know where he fits into either team.

Harrogate have two established keepers in Mark Oxley and James Belshaw. Both fighting for the 1 shirt as they played half a season each last season. Phil Priestley is a solid enough keeper coach but he's been at Harrogate since 2017 for a reason. 

If he goes to Mansfield he'll start number 2 behind Christy Pym but Scott Flinders is also there. Adam Collin only has a UEFA B licence and got promoted from the kids set up.

How is this kind of thing accomplished generally, Ty?   Not on about these clubs specifically but is it more likely the loaning club asks us about his availability or that we've asked certain clubs about him possibly going out to them?  Or are general chats going on regularly between many clubs at various levels, so that when a player like PC becomes ready for going out on loan, we aren't starting completely from scratch?

One thing people seem to have missed is that Ugbo is  at his best when he has Musaba in the team .So for any other club splashing the cash would be a real gamble without Musaba . Accoring to Football League World Stoke are the favourites for him 

46 minutes ago, lobster said:

One thing people seem to have missed is that Ugbo is  at his best when he has Musaba in the team .So for any other club splashing the cash would be a real gamble without Musaba . Accoring to Football League World Stoke are the favourites for him 

Football League World are about as informed as Alan Finney from here.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

How is this kind of thing accomplished generally, Ty?   Not on about these clubs specifically but is it more likely the loaning club asks us about his availability or that we've asked certain clubs about him possibly going out to them?  Or are general chats going on regularly between many clubs at various levels, so that when a player like PC becomes ready for going out on loan, we aren't starting completely from scratch?

As @Reesh has said there's usually a connection between the clubs, somewhere, and Bibbo/Beadle is a good comparison. 

Clubs will also let it be known that certain players are available but these tend to be older players. We've put it out there that a couple are available for loan or to buy if the offer is right. 

And finally clubs looking to fill positions, instead of specific players, will be actively watching the market to see who becomes available. That tends to be the last minute loan deals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tylluan said:

he goes to Mansfield he'll start number 2 behind Christy Pym but Scott Flinders is also there. Adam Collin only has a UEFA B licence and got promoted from the kids set up.

Done some digging and Clough is sending their young prospect, Owen Mason, out on loan. Pym will still be first choice but Flinders is moving to 3rd choice in order to do his coaching licence. That would leave an opening to at least push Pym. Then there's the extra cup games with the EFL Trophy games. 

7 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Cheers pal.

Maybe there's legs in the rumour Harmetis injured then?

Yeah.

Was a lad called Shelvey from Dundalk.

Dunno if he's related to Voldemort from Newcastle /Liverpool 

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Was a lad called Shelvey from Dundalk.

Assuming you're not taking the piss he's certainly an interesting character. Came up through Forest's youth system and had a few loans. Then he went to Dundalk in February, put in some outstanding performances then in his 9th game called the ref an Irish c#nt. Picked up a 10 game ban, longest in league history, and had his contract terminated. The ban will carry over if he signs for us.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024/0529/1452024-suspended-shelvey-leaves-dundalk-by-mutual-consent/

Edited by Tylluan

3 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

I know, I'm terrible aren't I but I do try, you have to give me that at least and I'm committed to improving even though I don't hold out much hope.

Only a couple of weeks ago I posted on here that we'd agreed a fee for Ugbo which turned out to be a load of old cobblers didn't it?

Oh, hold on, was that me or you? I've messed up again haven't I?

Back to the drawing board I suppose.😂

You could just fuck off from here.