24/25 Wednesday transfer thread

11 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Bannan will drop out when someone comes in and proves to Rohl that he’s a better option. Rohl really trusts him, especially in that more withdrawn role due to his ability to take the ball under pressure, pass the ball, and the energy he shows. For Bannan to not play, someone needs to come in and do the same thing.

The issue with that is they have to show what they can do while playing alongside Bannan.

For however long our midfield have been judged on how they compensate for Bannan rather than on their own merits and to a man it's taken 5-10 games to get used to playing with him, regardless of individual ability, hence falling back on Palmer and Vaulks last season and a lot of promising midfielders wrecked in L1, such as Adeniran and Wing, who somehow played fantastically in every game where Bannan didn't play but failed miserably alongside him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Dembele is the one for me. Even on a season loan would do,

This. Wright's records in effectively L1 is poor, and he's not got the  ability to play other positions like KD

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

He was ok in the very brief period he was on the pitch 

And that is the crux - we have had too many players in the past who spent more time in the treatment room than the pitch 

And who we overpaid for the privilege, glad Röhl and Dc weren't held to ransom by the agent

• Like 2

If we already had an excellent squad, and had the money to gamble on a player like him for a season, then yes we could have definitely hit the jackpot. 

We don't have either of those yet, so too much of a gamble...

But I do like having a player like him in the squad, he puts teams on the back foot a lot of the time. 

Another but, is that I think he will be given more of a fee role at Sunderland, without having to do as much off the ball work he would have to here, so went for the easy life, so may have a lot more playing time for them. 

Edited by MAL
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MAL said:

If we already had an excellent squad, and had the money to gamble on a player like him for a season, then yes we could have definitely hit the jackpot. 

But I do like having a player like him in the squad, he puts teams on the back foot a lot of the time. 

Another but, is that I think he will be given more of a fee role at Sunderland, without having to do as much off the ball work he would have to here, so went for the easy life, so may have a lot more playing time for them. 

He's 24 and has made 24 league starts in his career, a third of which came for us last year,  Musaba is slightly younger and has made 69 starts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reesh said:

He's 24 and has made 24 league starts in his career, a third of which came for us last year,  Musaba is slightly younger and has made 69 starts.

Which shows the type of players we are now signing. 

As I said earlier, I am expecting Poveda to play a lot more this season, simply because Sunderland will let him do what he wants, I could be wrong in that, but he seems to be the type that is happy when he can just basically show off. 

2 minutes ago, MAL said:

Which shows the type of players we are now signing. 

As I said earlier, I am expecting Poveda to play a lot more this season, simply because Sunderland will let him do what he wants, I could be wrong in that, but he seems to be the type that is happy when he can just basically show off. 

Lack of a full pre-season, he'll pull a hamstring before the end of August

Undoubted talent, but unfortunately he spent more time on the treatment table and sat in the stand than playing for us.

We don’t have the finances to be able to carry passengers or take gambles, so as much as I’d have liked him to sign for us, the club has definitely made the right decision not to bow down to his contractual demands. 

Given what we have signed already, Poveda becomes less of a necessity. I’d like us to get the striker and the middle of the pitch sorted first. Then look at forward players, but under the provisor that we move some on (BTC on loan, Wilkes and Smith on perms). 

55 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Lack of a full pre-season, he'll pull a hamstring before the end of August

Leeds fan at work says he's not been available for a full pre-season since 21/22!

Doubt he'll kick a ball until September

1 hour ago, holmesfield_owl said:

I bet you a penny to a pound he has a fucking blinder mid August when we turn up at their place 🤣

If he plays in @MAL free role then Chalobah will have him on toast. 

13 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

If he plays in @MAL free role then Chalobah will have him on toast. 

I don't know anything about about Chalobah and his game play pal, but...

If Chalobah is taking care of him, which i hope he does, that means there is going to be gaps galore when he is dragged all over the park, so the rest of their players can utilise all the space. 

Unless he is good enough to know what is what, then all is good. 

I hope you're right, usually are. 

8 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Poveda has signed a 4 year contract with Sunderland. 

That is a big gamble with his fitness record. 

There's no way we will have offered him that. 

Ridiculous gamble.

3 hours ago, MAL said:

Leeds do have a fairly excellent squad and the money to gamble on him and they chose not to. Tells me all I need to know.

5 hours ago, Reesh said:

Maybe it’s led by his decision to go elsewhere, but the more I think about it the larger the question mark around him is. He’s 24 and could theoretically double his career league starts next season. Quality player, but something isn’t right. 

Good luck to the lad, except against us, naturally.  A special player and looked a bit of a character. 

Seems like he's struggled to play in his career so far. I don't blame him for taking the best contract his agent can get him.  It can be a short career.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mkowl said:

He was ok in the very brief period he was on the pitch 

And that is the crux - we have had too many players in the past who spent more time in the treatment room than the pitch 

I wouldn't have minded him coming back but I'm not going to cry over it. We aren't short on wingers. One more solid midfielder would do. Can't wait for Iniesta to sign. 

I think we dodged a bullit with Poveda . His Sunderland interview tells all ,he doesn't want to be there . So why take it you ask

The answer came from the Blackpool Blog , When he signed for Leeds the negotiations were fraught with Difficulty not only with his agent but he also has very greedy parents ,they would regularly have shouting matches and storm out the room . Sunderland to try and offload by the end of the season

I've heard a couple of stories regarding Poveda, apparently he was on £6k a week at Leeds and wanted 4 x that and a long contract, we offered 2 years plus 1 year option and under 20k

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Reesh said:

I've heard a couple of stories regarding Poveda, apparently he was on £6k a week at Leeds and wanted 4 x that and a long contract, we offered 2 years plus 1 year option and under 20k

I’m pleased that we didn’t cave in as if things go well there could be a Forestieri-like situation as soon as anyone from the league above takes an interest. The other possibility is that he knows that his body struggles to handle professional football and whilst his stock is high he has a chance to set himself up financially for life.