24/25 Wednesday transfer thread

If we could get 300k for Smith and Wilks AND get a striker in on loan. That would be a smart bit of business.

In Rohls system, it has to stick to the number 9. That is Smiths biggest weakness. He’s a decent finisher, but his ability to link play is not great.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

Would the teams in for Wilks, Smith, or any of the youngsters care about them being cup tied? League is everything now.

Don't know about that, Wrexham would love a good cup run again, it'll make them a fortune.

Also, the League Cup is pretty frontloaded with regard to fixtures, so any reasonably ambitious club will still go for it for at least the first few rounds.

5 minutes ago, Reesh said:

5ft7 18 year old Central midfielder. 

Suppose the improvement we have help make to James Beadle will be seen as a reason to trust us with other young players from the PL

Luton and pigs also interested according to a Brighton journo.

Yeah I thought that as they are similar. But I think cademarteri needs to work on his link play and passing whereas this guy may be a more advanced version of him. I think it raises questions on McNeil and whether we get a target man type too if he is the choice 

3 hours ago, TheExile said:

The Lorientz Rosier rumour is in the Star now. But the way it’s written suggests it may not be a top target. 

Just seen that. 
It astounds me in a good way that we’re still looking for additions; but ones which are seemingly financially sensible. 

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

Just seen that. 
It astounds me in a good way that we’re still looking for additions; but ones which are seemingly financially sensible. 

Yeah especially the ones that seem to address glaring gaps in the make up of the squad. That height and physicality is rare in the team. There have been many windows where recruitment hasn’t made much sense or been made to suit one way of playing alone.

Alex Miller has Johnson to Oxford as a possibility.

I still think this is a weakness, I'm surprised that we haven't alrrady brought in another LB, as MJ can't do it, so if Lowe goes down, we'll have to go 352 of Famewo at LB.

4 minutes ago, Reesh said:

I think Rohl would be tempted to look at Sam Reed there in a pinch

But in a long term injury, that's starting LB till after Christmas.

Even without, when it gets to twice a week whoever is backup is going to have to start games as well as come on as a sub due to the intensity.

Again, similarly to LG, Smith, we’re moving forward, and there’s no room for sentiment if we want to do that. 
I did think we’d see Pato stay though, as I got the sense that DR didn’t mind using Pato as the shitkicker when we needed it. 
But suppose, if Pato wants to play regularly then that might not happen. 

Agree with most of the players being linked with moves out. But on Johnson and Smith I think it really depends on their replacements and their cost. Johnson is probably in his final season here but has quality and is fit as a butchers dog. Smith will never be first choice but we lose a physical dynamic without him. Smith is on good money and possibly Johnson too, so there must be all sorts to take into account, but would a replacement be cheaper?

33 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Malik Wilks to Rotherham close to being done, season long loan to see out his contract 

He’s nearly completed the South Yorkshire bingo card now. Admittedly I could see Evans getting fairly frustrated with him but like Clarke Harris he can win games without having to try very hard at that level 

25 minutes ago, TheExile said:

He’s nearly completed the South Yorkshire bingo card now. Admittedly I could see Evans getting fairly frustrated with him but like Clarke Harris he can win games without having to try very hard at that level 

Can he? We never saw it

26 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Can he? We never saw it

He did at Hull when played as a winger and centrally. But in a 352 he was a bit redundant. I thought he looked more effective away at Oxford when up front but then typically got injured again 

1 hour ago, TheExile said:

Agree with most of the players being linked with moves out. But on Johnson and Smith I think it really depends on their replacements and their cost. Johnson is probably in his final season here but has quality and is fit as a butchers dog. Smith will never be first choice but we lose a physical dynamic without him. Smith is on good money and possibly Johnson too, so there must be all sorts to take into account, but would a replacement be cheaper?

Yeah that's the caveat, who comes in for those who leave and do they improve the overall dynamic of the squad.

I’d be very reluctant to let Johnson move on after his performance tonight. Not just an engine but a really good leader on the pitch for some of the younger players. Can’t see anyone wanting to pay enough for him for it to be worth our while on balance. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, TheExile said:

I’d be very reluctant to let Johnson move on after his performance tonight. Not just an engine but a really good leader on the pitch for some of the younger players. Can’t see anyone wanting to pay enough for him for it to be worth our while on balance. 

Couple that with his efforts on Sunday, I totally agree with you 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MAL said:

I have been told that the Chairman did not want Smith back at Rotherham

Any clue @Tylluan

Smith parted on good terms with Stewart after Stewart realised he couldn't match our deal. It was Warne that Smith fell out with. 

Stewart didn't want Smith back this time round because he feared the fan reaction after their meltdown when him and Ihiekwe joined us. He suffered personal abuse for not opening the wallet to keep them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1