24/25 Wednesday transfer thread

Hirst's knee is fucked. That's why he's not even been on the bench. 

Did it late July and had to have surgery. Rehab not gone to plan and they're reckoning he won't be training before late September at the earliest 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

O'Mahony to join Pompey apparently @TheExile

Yeah that’s a bit of a surprise as he had supposedly favoured us over a couple of others but then it’s seemed to drag on. Then again it took a couple of weeks from that point with Beadle too. So I’d have bet on him joining us.  Perhaps a combo of the cost for us vs location for him has been a late twist as it must be convenient to go to Portsmouth and these loans aren’t cheap.

I’d say it’s a shame but I have no idea whether we’ve dodged a bullet or missed out on a star.

Hopefully we have other plans. I wonder if we will wait before letting Cadermarteri out too. 

Edited by TheExile

I'm confident (based on nothing at all except the family connection) that we'll get Charles. I understand there's been links to Celtic for some time now. Be a big signing for us I'm hoping. Get Chalobah playing as well and we'll be cooking.

11 hours ago, Fotze said:

I'm confident (based on nothing at all except the family connection) that we'll get Charles. I understand there's been links to Celtic for some time now. Be a big signing for us I'm hoping. Get Chalobah playing as well and we'll be cooking.

That kind of signing seems more pressing than a striker to be fair as Ugbo will be playing centrally soon.  Anything to ease the chaos in midfield has to be top prority 

Edited by TheExile
  • Like 1

Apparently Rohl has said that any more signings will be loans and that they won’t be squad fillers, they’ll be starters.

I think we can see Charles having the qualities to be a regular starter, but O’Mahony?

I don’t know enough about O’Mahony, but I suspect that he will be an upgrade on Smith and won't be a regular starter once Ugbo is up to speed.

A centre back signed to replace Bambo will step straight in to the team.

You fannies finally  starting to listen to what I said before the season started, instead of jizzing over wingers from the Polish second division?

We needed a whole new centre midfield, 4 players minimum. We've got one - who's injured and another who's being utterly hampered by playing with Capt  Bazza.

This should have been the single most important piece of transfer business and finished while still in pre-season as we were adequate (if not quite good enough) in defence and attack.

We get a couple in this week and it'll be October before they click which is far far too late.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

You fannies finally  starting to listen to what I said before the season started, instead of jizzing over wingers from the Polish second division?

We needed a whole new centre midfield, 4 players minimum. We've got one - who's injured and another who's being utterly hampered by playing with Capt  Bazza.

This should have been the single most important piece of transfer business and finished while still in pre-season as we were adequate (if not quite good enough) in defence and attack.

We get a couple in this week and it'll be October before they click which is far far too late.

No arguments from me now or at the time 

We'd be okay if we had as many decent central midfielders as wingers. I think that also counts for central defenders too. I still think we can beat 25% of the teams in this league. I just hope Danny hasn't been found out like Carlos was in his second season.

11 minutes ago, tomcore said:

We'd be okay if we had as many decent central midfielders as wingers. I think that also counts for central defenders too. I still think we can beat 25% of the teams in this league. I just hope Danny hasn't been found out like Carlos was in his second season.

It was his 3rd season that things fell apart. 2nd season was ok - at least results wise - until the play-off no show.

I don't  think Danny will sacrifice his vision for a while yet however he showed last season that he can make pragmatic sacrifices/adjustments. I hope though that he doesn't adapt like CC did in season 2 with his more 'funtional' approach.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

3 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

It was his 3rd season that things fell apart. 2nd season was ok - at least results wise - until the play-off no show.

I don't  think Danny will sacrifice his vision for a while yet however he showed last season that he can make pragmatic sacrifices/adjustments. I hope though that he doesn't resort like CC did in season 2 with his more 'funtional' approach.

Aye, was shit finishing 4th with more than 80 points

50 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Aye, was shit finishing 4th with more than 80 points

And the memories of the fantastic play off win over Huddersfield ............ oh shit 

With that squad and a better coach we would have pushed Brighton to the wire that season 

• Like 1

Tbh we’ve needed a younger team with more potential all over the park but cm and cb have been glaring for some time. I suppose the tricky thing is who do we pick up who’s good enough on a free or reasonable fee whos also not doing a Vaulks and wanting a longer deal in the latter stage of their career. There may be some but I’d be guessing they’d be mainly from abroad. Ingelsson looked to have it partially covered but he doesn’t seem comfortable with the defensive side but could do well further forward.

We will probably see if Fusire can re produce his hull performance again this week but if he can he’s a prime example of a player who we should just give the chance to. If we can establish a younger player (whether it’s him or another one of the batch) it could save/make us millions. Sunderland have done well with this and it got a negative reaction from the support but it may just be paying off now. 

2 hours ago, Andyben said:

Not likely to when most other teams have a functioning midfield 

I do wonder if our last two results & performances had any bearing on the Brighton striker going to Pompey, after it seemed that he was coming here.  

35 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I do wonder if our last two results & performances had any bearing on the Brighton striker going to Pompey, after it seemed that he was coming here.  

Probably made him choose the team who haven't won yet.

9 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I suspect it was more he had watched Game of Thrones and was in fear of going beyond the Wall or Woodall Services as its now known as

Edited by mkowl

10 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Shea Charles medical underway.

Getting him in would be terrific. Exactly what we need in midfield. 🤞

If we get a CB and striker/ or maybe another midfielder of this calibre in before monthend it'll  have been a terrific window IMO.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse
  • Like 1