24/25 Wednesday transfer thread

I look at it this way, we're in transition.

The next 2 years after this are the win years. As long as we aren't in a relegation battle at the end, we've succeeded.

We have enough to stay up comfortably and get some much needed experience to the core of the side going forward.

Young players are going to get plenty of gametime, u21s will get opportunities and at the end of this season we only have 2 loans and a handful of over 30s to replace.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

There’s more than enough in this squad to get us in and around the top 12.

Yes, another striker would have been nice, as would have been a centre half. But I do know the staff really rate Otegbayo, who will be in and around. And Fusire will be knocking on the door in midfield.

We have more than enough. And it gives us some swing room in Jan.

And that is the point, why not utilise the younger players in your own squad, rather than loan in some more from an EPL side from which you get zero end reward 

And the fucktards saying we needed to ship players out, do they have a fucking clue about how contracts work. 

The bit everyone won’t like is that the objective will be to ensure we sell players to then fund a better team as a whole. Musaba et al if we are not looking like we can make top six are essentially shop window players especially if it’s his final year next year. If we can extend it then great

If you look at the squad we had at the end of last season to what we have now (plus a manager and back room staff signed up on long term contracts), then you’ve got to be happy with how things are.

Yep, maybe another midfielder and a centre back would have been nice, but if someone had offered me at the end of last season the position we are in player and manager/management wise that we are now, I’d have snapped their hands off. 

It’s been a long time since we’ve had a better preseason than the one we’ve had this time around. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bellsview said:

If you look at the squad we had at the end of last season to what we have now (plus a manager and back room staff signed up on long term contracts), then you’ve got to be happy with how things are.

Yep, maybe another midfielder and a centre back would have been nice, but if someone had offered me at the end of last season the position we are in player and manager/management wise that we are now, I’d have snapped their hands off. 

It’s been a long time since we’ve had a better preseason than the one we’ve had this time around. 

Probably best preseason since 2015, that was a good un til we signed Bannan

With the amount of first goals conceded from set pieces last season which ended up in defeat, a set piece coach could be another 10-15 points on last season.

Too many games were we on top or competing at 0-0 for a stupid free kick or corner putting is behind and ending with a rout.

Look at the Hiddersfield game last season, whoever scored first was going to win and we were looking the most likely till they scored from a corner.

Just last season, Preston, Sunderland, Plymouth, Bristol, Birmingham, Ipswich are all games where the first goal conceded was a set piece and ended in defeat. There were more than that, they're just what I remember, as well as 2-3 games where it was a penalty, Hull, Cardiff.

With our propensity to win if we score first and lose if they do, getting a grip on this could turn a relegation season into a promotion season.

51 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

With the amount of first goals conceded from set pieces last season which ended up in defeat, a set piece coach could be another 10-15 points on last season.

Hopefully he can sort out our set pieces as well, because I can’t be the only one sick and tired of watching Bannan especially take a corner or put in a cross which gets intercepted by the first defender. 

That first headed goal which Sunderland got against us from the free-kick, we are more than capable with the players we have of pulling off set pieces like that. It was so simple yet perfectly executed and got them going in the match, whilst we never recovered from it.

Like you say, getting better at working on and defending set pieces could bring in a decent number of extra points. Clearly Danny has seen it and has quickly attempted to address it by bringing in Ben King.

22 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Hopefully he can sort out our set pieces as well, because I can’t be the only one sick and tired of watching Bannan especially take a corner or put in a cross which gets intercepted by the first defender. 

That first headed goal which Sunderland got against us from the free-kick, we are more than capable with the players we have of pulling off set pieces like that. It was so simple yet perfectly executed and got them going in the match, whilst we never recovered from it.

Like you say, getting better at working on and defending set pieces could bring in a decent number of extra points. Clearly Danny has seen it and has quickly attempted to address it by bringing in Ben King.

We registered 5 goal creating actions last season, 4 for Vaulks and 1 for Pato.

We scored only 5 goals all season where one of the 2 preceding actions was a dead ball situation.

That includes throwins too.

Does anyone have an up to date list of players that are out of contract that we could sign if so required? I have seen a list but I just can't bring myself to copy and paste it on here due to the source. 

Some interesting names on there though. Please post if anyone has the list. TIA.

@Harry Lime transfermarket website is pretty up to date. Just go to out of contract players. 

But these players probably haven't had a pre season and even if they're 'training' with clubs to keep fit (Martyn Waghorn using Wigan's facilities, apparently) they would need at least a month to get up to match fitness 

• Like 2

List of free agents - taken from another site so not sure of validity.

DEFENDERS 

Daniel Ayala
Reggie Cannon
Cyrus Christie
Ciaran Clark
Liam Cooper
Paul Dummett
John Egan
Nathan Ferguson
Ryan Fredericks
Carl Jenkinson
Martin Kelly
Terence Kongolo
Erik Pieters
James Tomkins
Brandon Williams

MIDFIELDERS 

Dele Alli
Stuart Armstrong
Dominic Ball
Jack Cork
Ovie Ejaria
John Fleck
Jeff Hendrick 
Matty James
Daniel Johnson
Cheikhou Kouyate
Jake Livermore
Emiliano Marcondes
Josh Onomah
Fred Onyedinma
Adam Reach
Romaine Sawyers

FORWARDS 

Tyler Burey
Aaron Connolly
Scott Hogan
Freddie Ladapo
Tyreece John-Jules
Sheyi Ojo

• Thanks 1

The immediate question I always ask is why are they free agents. I appreciate age is a factor in a lot of them, but fitness records, more likely attitude, application. I am sure there is a secondary unofficial database amongst the analysts of "don't touch with a bargepole" 

That list doesn't say how long they've been a free agent. Josh Onomah hasn't had a club since July 2023 but Freddie Ladapo only left Ipswich on Saturday after having his contract paid up

Edited by Tylluan

17 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

We could do with a Glenn Loovens type freebie.  Although seem to think he had been training with us a while first so was probably more up to speed.

Get Danny to have a word with Mats Hummel who's still a free agent after a move to Roma has stalled because they need Smalling to move to Saudi first. 

Or Michael Hector is available 

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

That list doesn't say how long they've been a free agent. Josh Onomah hasn't had a club since July 2023 but Freddie Ladapo only left Ipswich on Saturday after having his contract paid up

He was at PNE for last part of last season 

9 minutes ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Does that mean he couldn't play for us 'til January at the earliest, seeing as Saturday was after the end of the window?

Who the fuck would want Lapado

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

The immediate question I always ask is why are they free agents. I appreciate age is a factor in a lot of them, but fitness records, more likely attitude, application. I am sure there is a secondary unofficial database amongst the analysts of "don't touch with a bargepole" 

Money, with clubs facing cash troubles they are shedding squad players.

15 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Who the fuck would want Lapado

Money, with clubs facing cash troubles they are shedding squad players.

My point is if you are good enough you would have found another club 

Supply and demand - these players are not good enough consistently to warrant the wages they want 

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

My point is if you are good enough you would have found another club 

Supply and demand - these players are not good enough consistently to warrant the wages they want 

There are plenty that have clubs who are not good enough consistently to warrant the wages they want.

1 hour ago, EastCraigsOwl said:

Does that mean he couldn't play for us 'til January at the earliest, seeing as Saturday was after the end of the window?

Any player who becomes a free agent before the transfer window closes is allowed to play provided they're named in the 25 man squad. 

If a player is released after the window closes then they can sign for a club but can't be included in the squad until the next window opens

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

There are plenty that have clubs who are not good enough consistently to warrant the wages they want.

True but if they are unemployed at present then someone has made the ultimate call to say fuck off 

For those wondering, Birmingham born Marv isn't classed as home grown as he's come through non league and not a club academy. Yet Arsenal, City, et-al, can sign a Spanish 14 year old and he'll be 'home grown' by the time he's in the u18s

Fucking stupid rule. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

For those wondering, Birmingham born Marv isn't classed as home grown as he's come through non league and not a club academy. Yet Arsenal, City, et-al, can sign a Spanish 14 year old and he'll be 'home grown' by the time he's in the u18s

Fucking stupid rule. 

Someone got paid a lot of money to make that shit up

12 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Fucking stupid rule. 

You just couldn't make that up!  

Ty, would that apply to the new, young striker who signed his first contract a few days ago? He's from those 'Didn't make it' separate academies.'

Edited by Owling_Wolf

57 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

You just couldn't make that up!  

Ty, would that apply to the new, young striker who signed his first contract a few days ago? He's from those 'Didn't make it' separate academies.'

The rule is 3 years in the academy system between 15 and 21 to be classed as home grown. It doesn't have to be in the same club, you can move around. Brown is only 18 so if he makes it the first team before he's 21 then he won't need to be included in squad numbers but if he makes it after 21 then he'll have done 3 years and be home grown. 

Private 'pro-academies' are a grey area at the moment in regards to their status. It borders on South American 'ownership' principles as Rankin will have picked up a fee for 'selling' Brown to us. Brown may also have paid yearly fees to be coached. They're classed as businesses.

Club academies aren't classed as money generating businesses but as part of the overall club structure. However, some PL clubs are looking to diversify into the franchised academy world as money spinners. 

Mate of mine has just signed his lad up to Leicester's u11s, against my advice, and there's over 80 kids in that age group. I warned him his lad couldn't play for anyone else once he'd signed but it's the lure of a pro academy. It's costing him £180 a month. 

• Thanks 1