24/25 Wednesday transfer thread

Talking of Pressman, Russ Wilcox has just taken him on as keeper/1st team coach at Gainsborough Trinity. Full UEFA A licence since 1997

He left Grantham last season after being there since Palmer took him. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ozzie said:

Seen some say he was a hero in Miracle and Wembley. Fuckinghell.. He was majorly at fault for the 1st leg and us being in the playoffs after dropping from autos. Thanks Bye.

No he wasn't majorly at fault for us being in the play offs instead of the automatics. That was Darren Moores' approach to the games as well as the outfield players having a 'just turn up attitude' towards the end

That's giving the 10 in front of him an excuse for their pathetic performance at Forest Green, Burton Albion and Oxford United to start. Saying its Dawsons fault that the team at the top of the league took 86 minutes to get a shot on target against the bottom team, give me a break!

Edited by Kiwi Owl

When you can call to mind loads of costly errors it’s probably a good indicator. Whilst Dawson is genuinely very good at saving penalties and made some crucial saves in the second leg and one at Wembley. As Stuart Gray would say (or Keane) “that’s his job”…

Playoff away leg, first goal was a mistake, Birmingham away last season the second goal was a keeping error, Norwich away, Cardiff home. It’s that regularity that must have a bad impact on an entire defence. 

I think the standard of keepers is quite poor at the moment for quite a few teams for whatever reason. When he was struggling at Sunderland I’d never have envisaged Jason Steele playing in the PL. So in that sense maybe Dawson goes elsewhere and gets back to championship football in the future but it won’t work here.

On a separate note re Windass it will be great to see him back and hopefully on the clubs terms. It will also be good to be spared from all the blantantly fabricated interest from elsewhere in the press. One minute it’s Hull and Coventry the next thing we’d better watch out for…L1 Birmingham! That de-escalated quickly 

7 hours ago, TheExile said:

On a separate note re Windass it will be great to see him back and hopefully on the clubs terms. It will also be good to be spared from all the blantantly fabricated interest from elsewhere in the press. One minute it’s Hull and Coventry the next thing we’d better watch out for…L1 Birmingham! That de-escalated quickly 

Birmingham don't have FFP to worry about in League One and are loaded, he was linked with another cash rich club in Wrexham down there too.

24 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Birmingham don't have FFP to worry about in League One and are loaded, he was linked with another cash rich club in Wrexham down there too.

True and money talks. Just think it would be a bit of an ego hit for Josh to end up back in L1 at 30 and he’d be really reluctant. I think there has been some championship interest but not like made out by the press/possibly his agent. 

45 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Birmingham don't have FFP to worry about in League One and are loaded

I'm not sure about that. Still majority owned by an opaque collection of Chinese nationals, massive debt owed to them and last wage bill of £28m on a turnover of £19m.

27 minutes ago, Andyben said:

I'm not sure about that. Still majority owned by an opaque collection of Chinese nationals, massive debt owed to them and last wage bill of £28m on a turnover of £19m.

Taken over last July weren't they by Tom Wagner?

1 minute ago, Alan Finney said:

Crann is talking about Bernard here. Maybe a mistake by the commentator or possibly knows something, interesting anyway.

Not remotely interesting or worthy of a post.

3 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

Crann is talking about Bernard here. Maybe a mistake by the commentator or possibly knows something, interesting anyway.

Isn’t it more likely that he was talking about Daniel Johnson who, er, plays for Stoke City in the second tier of English football?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Andyben said:

IIRC the first two were diabolical 

The first one was 100% keeper  error. The 2nd was a fluke deflection off a defender's back or shoulder (Marv?) that took it higher with topspin and down over the keeper's hand. Keeper not at fault. We were stood behind its flight. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Just wondering are we after this lad or not, should we or shouldn’t we? Obviously a talented lad but is his fitness a real issue or did he just have some bad luck with not having played too many games prior to coming to us.

I'm 50-50 with this one, talented player but struggles with injuries, we've been down this path many times signing players that spend most of the time in treatment room. 

If he can stay fit he would be terrific signing. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Yes, I saw a list of Leeds players on here I think showing their wages. Had him down at 6k. That can’t be right surely.

Nearer £10k but still peanuts in Leeds world

• Like 1

Wouldn't be a bad signing. Although seen as a right back, he's very comfortable playing right side of of central defensive 3 and can also play further forward on the right. 

I could see him and Pol as an interchangeable right side, if we don't sign Poveda or someone like him, and also as a replacement for Iorfa if he doesn't re-sign

16 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

Great minds think alike. I thought exactly the same so took to Twitter/X and told him so. Word for word the same as you as well, how scary is that.

Did you bollocks.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Wouldn't be a bad signing. Although seen as a right back, he's very comfortable playing right side of of central defensive 3 and can also play further forward on the right. 

I could see him and Pol as an interchangeable right side, if we don't sign Poveda or someone like him, and also as a replacement for Iorfa if he doesn't re-sign

I like the sound of this one given his potential early in his career and he’s had a couple of seasons now. Maybe he’s more comfortable on the ball and that’s a factor. It will be interesting to see what is reported about the transfer fee (although that’s usually guess work)

18 minutes ago, TheExile said:

I like the sound of this one given his potential early in his career and he’s had a couple of seasons now. Maybe he’s more comfortable on the ball and that’s a factor. It will be interesting to see what is reported about the transfer fee (although that’s usually guess work)

Don't look on twitter then, the Wednesday female fans will be kicking off.

3 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Sounds like Will Vaulks is using Oxford United to push for a better deal here

If he wants to go back to his Toytown days and play in front of 12,000 instead of 22,000+ then I'd call his bluff and book him a taxi if he hasn't signed by the end of the week. That gives us time to find a replacement. 

• Like 5

Vaulks had a decent season but the prospect of us going into the new season with him and Bannan as the main pairing would not overly fill me with confidence.

The scoreline v Sunderland said 2 Nil to us, but the chances they missed often created through the huge gaps in central midfield.

51 minutes ago, mkowl said:

The scoreline v Sunderland said 2 Nil to us, but the chances they missed often created through the huge gaps in central midfield.

Which we know had nothing to do with Vaulks....been same for past 4 years when we have a central 2.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Which we know had nothing to do with Vaulks....been same for past 4 years when we have a central 2.

Well that is more my point, just playing the 2 in there is more the issue. 

Certainly the times it did not work eg Middlesborough away were evident. Even where we got the result parts of those games I thought it was a weakness that could be exploited.

Vaulks was the player of the season for sure

1 hour ago, Alan Finney said:

There was some chatter around last night about it. There was a bit about Nixon having a story on us today although I know some of the stuff he comes up with are just related to his pension fund. Maybe the same story.

Nowt to do with Nixon can you stop posting the bollocks you read on twitter on here as gospel

• Like 1

The Nixon “story” is a throwaway line about us signing Beadle in a story about Ipswich being after a different keeper from Brighton. As far as we’re concerned, it’s nothing new. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

Can’t wait for the Euros to start might stop all the rumour mongering on transfers for a bit 

Paul Mullin from Wrexham 4.5 million anyone 

That is from a twitter account known to post bollocks.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

Can’t wait for the Euros to start might stop all the rumour mongering on transfers for a bit 

Paul Mullin from Wrexham 4.5 million anyone 

Hahahaa I saw that. From one of those spammy shit transfer accounts