24-25 non-Wednesday football tonight / when SKY, TNT, Amazon dictates.

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

We should give em back the Elgin Marbles 

Harsh.  When Lord Elgin brought the Parthenon marbles to Britain, Greece was a colony of the Ottoman Empire.  The artefacts has not been well looked after during many centuries of war etc. and about a third of the originals had been destroyed.  He brought about half of what were left back to Britain for “safe keeping”, after obtaining some kind of written permission from the Turkish governor who really didn’t give two shits.  Lord Elgin never made any money out of it.  In fact he ended up selling them to the UK government at a loss.  Very much a labour of love.

Carsley should have played two proper centre mids from the start.  No point picking Gordon.  If there’s no centre forward who is he putting crosses in for?

5 hours ago, owl71 said:

Harsh.  When Lord Elgin brought the Parthenon marbles to Britain, Greece was a colony of the Ottoman Empire.  The artefacts has not been well looked after during many centuries of war etc. and about a third of the originals had been destroyed.  He brought about half of what were left back to Britain for “safe keeping”, after obtaining some kind of written permission from the Turkish governor who really didn’t give two shits.  Lord Elgin never made any money out of it.  In fact he ended up selling them to the UK government at a loss.  Very much a labour of love.

Carsley should have played two proper centre mids from the start.  No point picking Gordon.  If there’s no centre forward who is he putting crosses in for?

Tbh the price is that Moussaka has to be banished from the shores of the UK 

As I didn't watch the game I feel suitably qualified to say it at least shuts up the games console managers out there (and a few real life ones) that football is a team game, that is requires structure / organisation and attacking threat does not necessarily come from throwing on lots of attacking players.

Southgate got the balance right at least in team selection, but the issue was the mindset of safety first, cautious football from his tactics. Which given the lynch mob mentality of the media and fans if we lose in tournaments is hardly surprising

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

I'm not going to defend Carsley, but some of the defending wasn't even good enough to be Sunday league. What the fuck were the players doing for the second goal?

Modern football. It's the 'oh no I might give a foul away in a dangerous place' attitude. Pussy footing about trying to nick the ball away instead of actual tackling or putting a foot through it, which the Greeks did really well. 

• Like 1

Carsley has made the cardinal mistake of listening to the noise and then building a team based on what people want and the big names available. 

And instead of getting on the training ground and working out how to get it to work. He’s thrown it together.

The worst thing I can say is that it looked uncoached, and like he bowed to external pressure to fit all the stars in the team.

Some points. Foden can’t get in the city team, so he shouldn’t get in the England team. Bellingham is playing deeper for Real. So don’t pick him as a false 9. You cannot play Foden and Bellingham in attacking positions because they play free and literally end up stood on each others toes. If you have strikers who are in form, PICK THEM.

Our next England manager has to come in and upset people and build a system and team. And not just throw a load of attacking players on in lots of mishaped holes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Our next England manager has to come in and upset people and build a system and team. And not just throw a load of attacking players on in lots of mishaped holes.

That'll never happen. Whoever comes in will have to contend a media presence demanding to know why so and so has been dropped (it happened with Watkins last night) and will have to be media savvy to the point of placation, which is one of the main reasons Southgate got the job. 

Then he's got to deal with all the social media including the armchair FIFA players who'll all have a different idea on who the team should be built around. Flavour of the month is Palmer but if you play Bellingham deeper then you have to lose one of Rice or Palmer or completely change the system to accommodate the stars. 

I completely agree with you in that there needs to be some major decisions made. But I think they'd only be accepted if it was coming from someone like a Pep or Klopp who couldn't do no wrong or a Mourinho who just wouldn't give a damn. Howe, Potter, or anyone that's a 'middle' manager will just keep the status quo and their fingers crossed 

7 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Wasted an hour of my life watching the England game.

The players blatantly don't want to be there for these meaningless friendlies every Month.  

No spark, no intensity.  

At least the bulk of the Wednesday Squad get to chill out for a few days in Dubai.

And I’d say a lot of the fans don’t want them either. 

Just now, Reesh said:

Northern Ireland 3 up, Shea and Pierce involved in the second goal, lovely pass to start the move by our keeper to his brother, he's had nowt to do in the net mind.

Was just about to post similar, been flicking between the two games and bizarrely Beadle had had more to do than Pierce has 🤔

• Like 1