Euros 2024

Even the BBC have allowed Ferdinand,Shearer etc to have a pop at Southgate!

so negative, too slow, too predictable with a world class squad! John stones didn’t even get over his own half ffs! 

resign  you big nose twat total embarrassment 

• Like 2

On 12/06/2024 at 19:15, Andyben said:

Exactly.

Its embarrassing and absolutely everything The Fraud promised not to do (including not playing Foden centrally because he hadn't played much there for City)

Embarrassing that comment, he also said TAA is an experiment!!

Clown

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lee said:

Embarrassing that comment, he also said TAA is an experiment!!

Clown

I read that too. That is a fucking disgrace! Owning up to experimenting during a major tournament??? Give me fucking strength 

I said to one of my mates, the way every pundit is now 100% against Southgate can only be a sign of players in (and out) of the squad losing any faith in him.

We need a players revolt.

Look at Italia 90 when the players forced SBR into playing 3 at the back

I'm swapping Toney for Kane and Gordon for TAA against Slovenia

4-1-2-2 

Rice on his own with Bellingham and Foden ahead of him,  Stones joins midfield as th 6 in possession and Rice moves 20yds forward to play in his Arsenal role.

Gordon and Saka feed Toney at every opportunity and all of the front 5 press press press.

That's the core 8 sorted until Shaw gets fit for the KOs and Kane is more disciplined 

Edited by Andyben

6 minutes ago, Andyben said:

I'm swapping Toney for Kane and Gordon for TAA against Slovenia

4-1-2-2 

Rice on his own with Bellingham and Foden ahead of him,  Stones joins midfield as th 6 in possession and Rice moves 20yds forward to play in his Arsenal role.

Gordon and Saka feed Toney at every opportunity and all of the front 5 press press press 

Can’t argue with that. I’m looking forward to asking Gazza for his thoughts on Saturday night. You going to that Ben?

9 minutes ago, Laceups said:

Can’t argue with that. I’m looking forward to asking Gazza for his thoughts on Saturday night. You going to that Ben?

No mate. Forgot it was  on.

Is that one of Dennis Hobson's at La Haule Manor?

31 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

I read that too. That is a fucking disgrace! Owning up to experimenting during a major tournament??? Give me fucking strength 

Like we said before a ball was kicked in the tournament - use TAA as an experiment against Slovenia AFTER getting 6 pts with a proper midfield 

How this clown kept his job after the Italy final debacle is beyond me but he proved again tonight for about the 5th time that he isn't up to the job, waste of onfield talent to placate a woke non entity.

Too much to unpack really from England but one of the best teams we’ve had look worse than the euro 2000 side that got KOd. One or two look tired and there are a lot of inexplicable individual errors but the manager has seemingly over thought things a bit too much and it’s resulted in us going nowhere. Even the subs, bringing on Bowen  didn’t make much sense and if you’re going to play a rb in cm ahead of cms you’d better hope it works!

If there is one positive from that 

It confirmed that not selecting Harry Maguire was the right call

No chance he would have got back like Guehi did to make that block when Denmark were clean through. Also, no chance Maguire would have been able to do two jobs given Guehi had to defend and do Declan Rices' job 

Best England player on the pitch

Thankfully had another event in that there London and thought about finding a pub en route but the prospect of listening to cockernee wankers put me off. The saddest part really is not really considering I was missing out.

The issue is that talented individuals don't necessarily make a talented team. That is evident here. Deserved criticism for Southgate, but I also question what does it mean deep down to these players. Fuck all. 

You can get the wealth and critically lauded playing for your club, you don't have to perform at international level to get status these days.

But equally we can't hide that the number of games they are asked to play is an issue. Combine being knackered and that degree of indifference to playing for your country comes through in the performances in these post season tournaments

26 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I also question what does it mean deep down to these players. Fuck all.

that's probably the most stupid thing i've read on here.

The thing is, every part of a player's game nowadays is controlled and set up tactically by the coaching staff, so when they go to England who have a championship level manager (at best) who has no idea about how to set up teams like Pep, Arteta, or anyone else, then players look lost. Its not their fault.

If, as appears to be the case the forwards, midfield and full backs haven't been coached in the manner in which they should press the opposition, then they can't simply decide to do it themselves on the pitch - they need to have complete confidence that the men behind and to the side are doing exactly what they're meant to be doing. 

To quote @KrolMong at the beginning of last season - they don't look like they've had any coaching. Look at the backroom staff - would any of them get a job in the PL or abraod in a top 5 league?

Edited by Andyben

If anyone is still feeling up for it

Group E

Slovakia v Ukraine 2pm BBC1

Group D

Poland v Austria 5pm ITV1

Netherlands v France 8pm BBC1

Mbappé will get more mentions whether her plays or not. Him and Ronaldo set off the spunk fest each time their teams are involved.

Never been as meh about a tournament, yesterday, pitch was awful but same for both sides, everyone was off, Bellingham anonymous, Rice making errors, was crying out for Eze much earlier than he came on and when he did he never saw the ball, Watkins looked bright, agree Guehi was our best player 👍

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

Thankfully had another event in that there London and thought about finding a pub en route but the prospect of listening to cockernee wankers put me off. The saddest part really is not really considering I was missing out.

The issue is that talented individuals don't necessarily make a talented team. That is evident here. Deserved criticism for Southgate, but I also question what does it mean deep down to these players. Fuck all. 

You can get the wealth and critically lauded playing for your club, you don't have to perform at international level to get status these days.

But equally we can't hide that the number of games they are asked to play is an issue. Combine being knackered and that degree of indifference to playing for your country comes through in the performances in these post season tournaments

One of the other issues is that the top Club Sides are better than the International teams.

Walker, Stones, Rice, Alexander Arnold, Foden, Bellingham, Saka and Kane play for teams that in all probability that would beat England.

46 minutes ago, Skamp said:

If anyone is still feeling up for it

Group E

Slovakia v Ukraine 2pm BBC1

Group D

Poland v Austria 5pm ITV1

Netherlands v France 8pm BBC1

Mbappé will get more mentions whether her plays or not. Him and Ronaldo set off the spunk fest each time their teams are involved.

Think Danny is on pundit duty as well for Poland v Austria.

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

The thing is, every part of a player's game nowadays is controlled and set up tactically by the coaching staff, so when they go to England who have a championship level manager (at best) who has no idea about how to set up teams like Pep, Arteta, or anyone else, then players look lost. Its not their fault.

If, as appears to be the case the forwards, midfield and full backs haven't been coached in the manner in which they should press the opposition, then they can't simply decide to do it themselves on the pitch - they need to have complete confidence that the men behind and to the side are doing exactly what they're meant to be doing. 

To quote @KrolMong at the beginning of last season - they don't look like they've had any coaching. Look at the backroom staff - would any of them get a job in the PL or abraod in a top 5 league?

I am not dismissing the paucity of Southgate in any way. My post mentioned that not just the line you have highlighted

But I do consider, I suspect you will disagree, that the players do not have the same deep down desire that we witness other nations create. Half ours can barely mumble our shite national anthem 

The reason being they don't need the kudos of playing and being successful for England 

Apparently they are tired after a long season but that doesn't seem to be impacting their team mates playing for other nations 

Maybe that is simply them not believing the managers' capabilities but I think it runs deeper 

I thought when I posted about hauling Kane off at HT yesterday that I'd be alone in thinking it - obviously not!

Southgate has allowed Kane to make this team into Spurs & Bayern - totally focussed on doing what Kane wants to do.  Which is fine if the objective is for Kane to win Golden Boots for scoring in group stages and freezing the big games but not so great if you want to win tournaments.  We need a number 9 that can link the talents of Bellingham/Foden/Saka and the rest.  Watkins can do it, Toney maybe, Kane maybe could do it but I doubt it.  It's telling that the only British side interested in Kane was Man Utd, not City, not Arsenal, not Liverpool, not even Chelsea and Real Madrid & Barcelona didn't give him a second look, despite RM having a gaping gap at number 9 last season.

As for the midfield...I think TAA will be dropped after the groups, if not before and Bellingham will likely go in there, although I still think that Wharton would improve the ball retention.  But as others have said, it's not fluid enough, Stones can contribute more in there, Rice is better going forward than we've seen and Bellingham doesn't seem to know what his role is.

It's just damning for Southgate that he's known for at least 2 years that he was going to have these fantastic talents to work with and he hasn't thought through properly how to gel them together and get the best out of them.  That's why he's a crap coach and why when he finishes with England he's not going to a top club, he's going to a Wolves or Bournemouth or out to Saudi.

1 hour ago, Theman said:

Never been as meh about a tournament, yesterday, pitch was awful but same for both sides, everyone was off, Bellingham anonymous, Rice making errors, was crying out for Eze much earlier than he came on and when he did he never saw the ball, Watkins looked bright, agree Guehi was our best player 👍

It was crying out for Grealish, not Eze.

• Like 3

I’ll leave this as a tidbit of an epic rant.

Southgate has a way of playing that is suited to qualifying, but not suited to winning tournaments when you have to go toe-to-toe with countries that look at our elite players and doesn’t fear them, but more critically, doesn’t rate them as highly as we do.

2 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Southgate has a way of playing that is suited to qualifying, but not suited to winning tournaments when you have to go toe-to-toe with countries that look at our elite players and doesn’t fear them, but more critically, doesn’t rate them as highly as we do.

Tbf that's quite an obvious statement.

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

I think they do rate those players highly, just not for England. Bellingham has done great in Spain, Kane likewise in Germany, and if Foden or Saka were suddenly available for transfer they’d have their pick of clubs across Europe. For England it’s different though and it’s because of Southgate.

Germany are going to win the tournament because they have a decent squad and a really good manager. Our squad is better than theirs, but Nagelsmann is so far ahead of Southgate that if we come up against them they could avenge the 5-1. 

48 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

@KrolMong has now been constructing his epic rant for 6 hours.   Can't wait and hope the dossier is sent to the FA.

I’ll be submitting it tomorrow. I have been driving for about 5 hours and just got home, and now I’m off out to watch the Poland game. I’ve had a few podcasts on in the car which have only fuelled the flames!

Edited by KrolMong

37 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Realistically if Southgate was on the Managerial Market tomorrow who goes for him ?  I know Man United were linked but couldn't see that happening unless things turned round and won the Euro's.

boro

7 hours ago, Andyben said:

I'm right xxx

9 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Think Danny is on pundit duty as well for Poland v Austria.

Yep, he was stood there when presenter announced the prize of ITV's competition. Winner gets tickets to the final plus 50 grand.

Goo on, Danny! That might be handy towards transfers later on!  😋

Who is the co-commentator?

9 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Yes he did. Makes you wonder where they find these commentators from.

Yes it's the taking 5 minutes to use a notional line to determine that a player is half a centimetre offside not ones like this that really irks me.

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

15 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Took way to long but got it right in the end for me. 

6 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Yes he did. Makes you wonder where they find these commentators from.

The consideration is was he interfering in being stood offside. To that extent you have to factor would the keeper be able to make a reasonable attempt to get to the ball. 

The keepers reactions in real time are factored in and his feet are planted. He doesn't react because he's unsighted by the two defenders in front of him. He wouldn't have made the save if the Dutch player hadn't been there therefore he's not interfering and the goal should have stood. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

He doesn't react because he's unsighted by the two defenders in front of him. He wouldn't have made the save if the Dutch player hadn't been there therefore he's not interfering and the goal should have stood. 

Nail.  Head.  Goal all day long.

Mbappe scores that and it's given.

VAR has worked fairly quickly and accurately this tournament. The speed of decision being refreshing.

And then up pops Attwell proving that it's not VAR that's the problem in the way decisions are made in the Premier League

33 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

The consideration is was he interfering in being stood offside. To that extent you have to factor would the keeper be able to make a reasonable attempt to get to the ball. 

The keepers reactions in real time are factored in and his feet are planted. He doesn't react because he's unsighted by the two defenders in front of him. He wouldn't have made the save if the Dutch player hadn't been there therefore he's not interfering and the goal should have stood. 

Respectfully disagree. The Dutch player stood offside denied any chance the keeper may have had of making the save. 

Subjective but IMO the decision was correct. Took way too long though. We're  not going to agree though are we? 

I think it should have been a goal, but surely it needed to go to the referee. It wouldn’t have taken any more time than Atwell took already and it wasn’t a matter of fact decision. Ref gets told he’s offside if interfering and asked to judge whether he is. 

57 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Respectfully disagree. The Dutch player stood offside denied any chance the keeper may have had of making the save. 

Subjective but IMO the decision was correct. Took way too long though. We're  not going to agree though are we? 

Nope!   😋