Euros 2024

9 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Im probably not going to watch. 

Considering the same to be honest.  The defeat against Iceland under Hodgson are the same vibes I'm getting. Hopefully I'm proved wrong. Don't know if it's an age thing, or the amount of football on tv these days, but I've never been less bothered about an international tournament or how England get on. 

9 hours ago, Gleadless Owl said:

Considering the same to be honest.  The defeat against Iceland under Hodgson are the same vibes I'm getting. Hopefully I'm proved wrong. Don't know if it's an age thing, or the amount of football on tv these days, but I've never been less bothered about an international tournament or how England get on

Probably a bit of both. 

My lad went out into town on Tuesday all excited about watching an England match in pub and I thought wish I could get excited about it.   Suppose he is only like I was for Italia 90.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Ex pig has his say

image.png.14d1d3d79abc8d03005470f4c7afb216.png

image.png.47bde795fd9b2585882fbdbf8d070fa1.png

Controversially, I actually agree with him. Being ex-military, we were never allowed home on leave, if we were on exercise or "doing something else", for the very reasons the ex-Pig says.

Guess times have changed 

20 minutes ago, Sheffieldblue said:

See the Argentinian referee who denied the blatant penalty, refused even to get VAR involved, has been axed and sent home from the Euros. Corrupt bent bastard. 

Oh dear 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Beaconowl said:

Controversially, I actually agree with him. Being ex-military, we were never allowed home on leave, if we were on exercise or "doing something else", for the very reasons the ex-Pig says.

Guess times have changed 

When my children were born in the 1980’s I was allowed one day’s paternity leave.

That was one day too many,i was happy to go to work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sheffieldblue said:

See the Argentinian referee who denied the blatant penalty, refused even to get VAR involved, has been axed and sent home from the Euros. Corrupt bent bastard. 

You could always go and put your Maradona shirt on, make yourself feel better?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Only just put it on, the dynamic in that part of the world seems to have changed doesn't it. I remember a time when everyone put 8 or 9 past the Swiss.

Italy are so toothless aren’t they. I know they’ve largely always been known for not blasting teams away and digging in with really good defences, this side look bad. Very bad. On todays showing anyway

27 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Switzerland have been fantastic so far, absolutely stopped Italy doing anything and kept on the front foot.

That is a cracking finish. 

Italy have been woeful though and haven’t put the Swiss defence under any form of pressure - although as I type this they’ve just hit the post.

If we win tomorrow we play Switzerland next, pending a miracle from Italy. Hopefully, if we do play them, we can cause their defence more problems than Italy have.

11 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Fixed this

9 minutes ago, cheat said:

Game’s gone if that’s a penalty

Never a penalty and the Dane wasn't offside on the second interaction for the goal

Can't make my mind up if Oliver is bottling it or whether he's deliberately home gaming it. 

Edited by Tylluan
  • Like 1

Oliver gives a penalty because the law makers have deemed that those incidents are penalties now. He will be embarrassed but his role is to apply the laws of the game 

Blame the law makers not the officials

10 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Never a penalty and the Dane wasn't offside on the second interaction for the goal

Can't make my mind up if Oliver is bottling it or whether he's deliberately home gaming it. 

In fairness he's being "backed up" by (Tw)Atwell on VAR so he's operating with one arm tied behind his back really 

11 minutes ago, JBO said:

Oliver gives a penalty because the law makers have deemed that those incidents are penalties now. He will be embarrassed but his role is to apply the laws of the game 

Blame the law makers not the officials

It really makes you wonder who wants the interpretation to be how it is.

I really can’t imagine that there are many players, managers, officials or fans that want those sort of incidents to result in a penalty.

Fans don’t really have much of an influence sadly, but I’m surprised there isn’t pressure from the others to stop the nonsense.

Hold on tight

England v Slovakia 5pm ITV1

Winner to play Switzerland in the quarter final

Spain v Georgia 8pm also ITV1

Winner to lose to Germany/ VAR in the quarter final

England predictions?

1 hour ago, Skamp said:

Hold on tight

England v Slovakia 5pm ITV1

Winner to play Switzerland in the quarter final

Spain v Georgia 8pm also ITV1

Winner to lose to Germany/ VAR in the quarter final

England predictions?

Well given its Shania Twain on at Glastonbury, I will at least watch the England game. 

I am struggling to retain my interest in this tournament, I rarely watch international football outside the main events but even this feels a chore. 

Be interested if others are feeling the same or are totally engrossed 

I’ve watched almost every game but admittedly I WFH and I’m also a sad bastard, recently settled expat who’s got not mates in the area yet 😆

I think England do enough to get past Slovakia regardless today. But if it’s another borefest and we still don’t click then the Swiss will see us off. 

On paper there’s not a single team this side of the draw that should give us pause.

But in reality I reckon it’s a Swiss / Austria semi. And unless Germany are the team they face in the final, I think it’ll be the winner of that semi that wins the tournament. They’ll be going in with nothing to lose.

Be nice when England have a proper manager, and the fear factor our wealth of attacking talent should inspire. 

3 hours ago, Wollongong Owl said:

I just hope the referee isn't Danish after Oliver's shambolic performance.

It's a Turkish crew. 

The ref is the one who got his jaw dislocated by a club president at the end of a game

Twitter or what ever it's called is in top form this afternoon. Shania Twain is apparently that bad Southgate is going to pick her for the next game.

And Conor Gallagher going to replace her for the last 20 minutes 

3 hours ago, Tylluan said:

It's a Turkish crew. 

The ref is the one who got his jaw dislocated by a club president at the end of a game

Is he still concussed from that?

Played with a bit more urgency last 10 minutes and moved the ball forward. 

It's a minor point, but when you have a throw in mid way in their half, there is no law to say it should be thrown backwards. Grips my shit 

The importance now is for someone to lock Southgate in the bog 

I can’t believe how bad Stones and Walker have been, both defensively and with the ball. They are shitting themselves when they are asked to get the ball through the lines and up the pitch.

I’m making a raft of changes. Saka, Foden and Kane are all getting hooked. 

• Like 1