Euros 2024

45 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I just have to laugh, tap tap, back, sideways tap go nowhere

Here comes 1983 with a long throw into the box, score 

The irony was the 2nd was a crap shot but guess what players in the box you keep the ball alive and again you score. 

It's like we are trying to make a simple game too complex, 

4 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

We weren't good but don't agree we were lucky. 

Scoring in the 95th minute from you first shot on target, barely troubling them the other 94 I would say was not in the planning either

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Scoring in the 95th minute from you first shot on target, barely troubling them the other 94 I would say was not in the planning either

Course not. We'll need massive improvement to progress further but it's not like they were denied by the post or disallowed goal either.

5 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Course not. We'll need massive improvement to progress further but it's not like they were denied by the post or disallowed goal either.

The lucky comment is for Southgate. He is the one that got out of jail 

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

The lucky comment is for Southgate. He is the one that got out of jail 

Fair enough. To be honest my ire was more at the TV commentator insisting we were lucky cos we scored so Iate..... I mean it happens doesn't it as we know all too well. 

Mixed feelings. Still think the Swiss are rubbing their hands. 

Those minutes either side of the full time whistle were funny as fuck but apart from that, we were terrible. And we defended the one goal lead again. 

For some teams that Bellingham moment would be a turning point. It wasn’t for us. It was a stay of execution. 

Edited by NomadOwl

In every game, we have created and missed sitters, and those sitters have fallen to players who you would expect to score.

To be overtly critical, our attacking options players are all coming short. Apart from Bellingham and now Palmer, we aren’t trying to beat people with the ball. And then no one wants to run behind.

But, we have played two games now where despite us being poor, we have dominated without being creative.

So tonight… Walker and Stones were awful. Foden, Kane and Saka poor. Mainoo and Rice decent.

Palmer made the difference, and Toney, because he backed himself physically, was decent. I thought Southgate got the subs right as Gallagher was good when he came on.

Its a much tougher ask on Saturday.

• Like 1

Don’t get me wrong im Happy we “won” but that was fucking shit. There 45 in world rankings and we made them look like Brazil. Southgate wants fucking with a pineapple what’s wrong with this team?

• Like 2

Just now, KrolMong said:

Its a much tougher ask on Saturday

I'm matching them up, especially after Guehi got suspended.

Pick ford

Walker Stones Shaw (Konsa)

Saka Mainoo Rice Eze

Bellingham 

Toney Kane

3 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Thought we were a bit lucky not to go 2 down, whatever them 2 dicks were doing to gift them the ball with Pickford way out of his goal like that.

Loved how Toney played when he came on, unfortunately the only minutes he'll get is when the manager gets himself in the shit again.

Be great if we had someone with pace like Sterling to call on when a team has to come at us. Palmer was decent though but he really shouldn't have gone for the attacking option in that last minute.

Fair play to Bellingham for shutting me up when I was slating him.

We’ve plenty of players with pace and we have quality throughout the squad.

But unfortunately, what we also have is an out of his depth, tactically inept, clueless, defensive minded shithouse of a manager who is going to cost us any chance of winning this tournament.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Southgate will justify his actions and say this is the 4th quarter final in a row. Perhaps we are all a bit Spursy when it comes to England - need to win in style etc. 

The thing about international football is that it's not to the same standard we see in the EPL or Champions League. The better coaches work there, the benefits of training and playing frequently together show and the blend of nationalities seems to work better than one nationalty together. 

There is little tactical innovation and with Southgate little practical experience of how modern players play.

Always the same came across a video of Jack Charlton in 1982 (so still our manager) interviewing Ron Greenwood and Don Howe for ITV during the 82 World Cup. Criticism of the tactical approach, them defending their decisions. 

This is the singles most important factor why the top players are underperforming.

They are coached on every single aspect of the game, through every transition, with specific and precise instructions about what to do and when.

As Kane alluded to a couple of matches ago when  he said "we don't know when to press " it shows that the England coaching staff just aren't up to the  same levels.

10 hours ago, Andyben said:

Pick ford

Saka Mainoo Rice Eze

Bellingham 

Toney Kane

Switzerland play three at the back so we have to play with two strikers otherwise there's no point.

Well, talk about using the get out of jail card! 
Deserved nothing, ended up with everything. 

Reading back through this thread, from the game kicking off to the end, is a perfect summary of how it was. Toothless, clueless, spineless. 

Thankfully, we had two of our ‘best’ players turn up for a second or two. 

Winning is all that matters, but bloody hell. It’s painful to watch 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andyben said:

Pick ford

Saka Mainoo Rice Eze

Bellingham 

Toney Kane

There’s an argument for a 3-5-2.

I’d put Trent at RWB and Saka at LWB. We’d have proper balance.

I’d play Watkins ahead of Toney because he’s very quick.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Andyben said:

I think Toney offers more to Kane, if that makes sense.

And its a no for TAA

I was impressed by Toney.  Felt like there was more of a presence. 

As for TAA I would rather not win the thing than have to cheer him and listen to everyone banging on about 'Trent' for ever and a day. 

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you're going to play 2 up top it has to be Toney and Watkins as Toney would be happy to play the physical foul to Watkins pace. 

Kane is too used to being the main man to form an effective partnership with either of the other two which is why he's played central in a 3 or on his own 

1 minute ago, Theman said:

Well done Portugal, Slovenia, great defence but little ambition, got what they wanted and blew it 👍

Three straight saves by Costa was something you rarely see.

Final games of the 16

Romania v Netherlands 5pm BBC1

Austria v Turkey 8pm ITV1

Winners of games to meet each other on Saturday in the last of the QF games.

Let's hope we still give a shit by then