Euros 2024

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

The only downside in all this is having to suffer the "expertise" of the glory seeker fans. The ones that normally heavily into Fantasy Football and never been to a football stadium in their life. 

With it comes that rising but misplaced optimism supported by the media, that only serves to bring that crash down to earth to be much harder.

And yes I am a miserable fucker but the weight of evidence is on my side. The celebratory mood can happen but only after the final whistle and the hoped for victory has happened as our PM rightly suggests "let's not jinx it".

It's all Man U's fault, of the hadn't so deservedly won the FA cup against a far superior opponent, then the fairweather fans would have no basis for comparison.

Thing is if you lot win then you'll never stop going on about it and in 10 or 20 years time, to echo mk's point about social media and fairweather fans, it'll have turned into the miracle of Berlin where Southgate's tactical genius and England's steadfastness out played a Spanish juggernaut that had laid waste to all previous opposition. 

6 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

the miracle of Berlin where Southgate's tactical genius and England's steadfastness out played a Spanish juggernaut that had laid waste to all previous opposition. 

Let's hope we're waking up to that headline on Monday morning .

4 hours ago, mkowl said:

The only downside in all this is having to suffer the "expertise" of the glory seeker fans. The ones that normally heavily into Fantasy Football and never been to a football stadium in their life. 

With it comes that rising but misplaced optimism supported by the media, that only serves to bring that crash down to earth to be much harder.

And yes I am a miserable fucker but the weight of evidence is on my side. The celebratory mood can happen but only after the final whistle and the hoped for victory has happened as our PM rightly suggests "let's not jinx it".

I equally have turned into a miserable fooker.  Cannot do with these previous none football fans suddenly talking about it and jumping all over it.  

Same when we get to Wembley and people attend their first game. 

4 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Thing is if you lot win then you'll never stop going on about it and in 10 or 20 years time, to echo mk's point about social media and fairweather fans, it'll have turned into the miracle of Berlin where Southgate's tactical genius and England's steadfastness out played a Spanish juggernaut that had laid waste to all previous opposition. 

Yep. And it’ll be bloody lovely to do so

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tylluan said:

I do solemnly swear that, if we lot win, I promise that I will never stop going on about it.  For ever and ever. Amen.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skamp said:

Since May 2001, Spanish teams – at both club and national level – have played non-Spanish teams in 22 major finals. "The Spanish side has won all 22."

Just saying.

😖

Edited by Owling_Wolf

13 hours ago, Skamp said:

Since May 2001, Spanish teams – at both club and national level – have played non-Spanish teams in 22 major finals. "The Spanish side has won all 22."

Just saying.

Take your point but it really does have fuck all bearing on Sunday really.

• Like 1

Definition of insanity 

Doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.

Welcome to the pre match hype in the traditional media and across social media. Well done folks the English tradition of building it up so the fail hurts twice as much. 

It's bad enough when Wednesday fans do it, but the entire fucking country. The joy is the winning end of 

I don’t feel the pressure this time like I did last time. We are going into this as underdogs given how Spain have played, whereas when we played Italy, we were very firm favourites.

What I want to see is England have a go.

Now, and I have maintained this for a week. Spains best players are playing in positions where we are very very strong defensively. And our best players are playing in positions where Spain are not so strong (Rodri aside - but we saw what Mainoo and Bellingham did when they played him). So, if we get hold of the game, I really fancy us to win.

But, Spain are playing without fear, and under the radar a bit.

I just have this feeling that we are going to see something very special from Bellingham tomorrow. Felt it for a few days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Let's not forget the Fraud's ability to fuck things up monumentally at any given moment 

Watch the last final for a perfect example.

It's going to be a tough game for sure, apparently though we are a tough team to play against (and watch at times) and can put the opposition out of their stride, I just hope we don't resort to trying to sit back too much as Spain will definitely score if we do, I'd worry in any game where we went two down whether we could claw anything back.

Just now, 80s Owl said:

Watch the last final for a perfect example.

It's going to be a tough game for sure, apparently though we are a tough team to play against (and watch at times) and can put the opposition out of their stride, I just hope we don't resort to trying to sit back too much as Spain will definitely score if we do, I'd worry in any game where we went two down whether we could claw anything back.

Like Wednesday I worry more if we go two up and then stop playing. 

When the Dutch got a degree of control for 10 minutes they created 3 or 4 chances. The Spanish are better and their movement worries me around the edge of the box 

9 minutes ago, mkowl said:

When the Dutch got a degree of control for 10 minutes they created 3 or 4 chances. The Spanish are better and their movement worries me around the edge of the box 

Spains movement off the ball is next level & an absolute joy to watch.

23 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I said to my lad yesterday we're probably better going 1-0 down early on so we actually come out and play as in the Dutch game.

All good points made recently in this thread. England mustn’t sit back and play tippy tappy football. We need to press, like we did in the first half against the Dutch.

I love KMs post. For once I am feeling no pressure about this game. 

17 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

It's coming home

It's coming home

It's coming 

The world cups coming home!

Roll on 2026!!! 🤣

See I would claim it was grounds of diminished responsibility and given I only have to serve 40% of the sentence these days 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

I got it into my head there was a third place play off but that's the WC innit? Shame, that would've been a good appetiser tonight for the main event tomorrow.

Just put the tv on and on channel 4 they are showing the 1966 W.C. final in full and in colour.First half over and apologies if posted elsewhere.

• Like 2

Depends which Ai you use. 

EA Sports ran a simulation for Sky Sports which had the ball about 3" over the line

Hawkeye used the official footage and some footage a fan had taken and concluded it didn't. 

There wouldn't have been a debate if Martin Peters had just rammed the ball in instead of peeling away, but maybe that gives you the answer anyway

"Wouldn't have been given if they had VAR"

Aye but both teams would have been down to 8 players if reffed today.

Point being that you can't use today's rules to decide on an event in the  past.

Works with everything not just sport 

Edited by Andyben

The time that Spain have looked at least 'rattled'... Pre the France opening 10 mins or so, was against Georgia (I think) where they went a bit longer going forward, hitting it beyond the Spanish press. That was Georgia who did that. 

We can do better than Georgia. 

They can be got at, but... They can get at us.

IT SHOULD be a good game. 

And so to the final.

Spain v England 8pm BBC1

Hold on tight, wear your lucky clothes, drink from your lucky glass/mug, rub the dog or whatever else you need to do to get England over the line and finally win a tournament since 1966 and on foreign soil.

COME ON ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🦁🦁🦁

15 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

was against Georgia (I think) where they went a bit longer going forward, hitting it beyond the Spanish press.

But Georgia played with pace off the shoulder 

57 minutes ago, Billysboy said:

At least they refresh the lyrics, be "60 years of hurt" if they don't win tonite.

I'm with @mkowl that song and the Its Coming Home mantra is an embarrassment.  

One of the reasons I will be a grumpy arse and stay at home to watch it.  Can't do with those who never watch football chanting it !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I'm with @mkowl that song and the Its Coming Home mantra is an embarrassment.  

One of the reasons I will be a grumpy arse and stay at home to watch it.  Can't do with those who never watch football chanting it !

Nowhere near as bad as the abysmal 'Sweet Caroline'!

44 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Nowhere near as bad as the abysmal 'Sweet Caroline'!

I used to quite like this song but the addition of that "so good, so good, so good" bit has made me despise it.

On 10/07/2024 at 22:43, Andyben said:

I'd be tempted  to go back to a 4-3-2-1 against Spain.

Walker Stones Guehi Shaw

Rice Mainoo Bellingham 

Saka Foden

Kane

Let's see but this is his Starting XI