Euros 2024

Depends which Ai you use. 

EA Sports ran a simulation for Sky Sports which had the ball about 3" over the line

Hawkeye used the official footage and some footage a fan had taken and concluded it didn't. 

There wouldn't have been a debate if Martin Peters had just rammed the ball in instead of peeling away, but maybe that gives you the answer anyway

"Wouldn't have been given if they had VAR"

Aye but both teams would have been down to 8 players if reffed today.

Point being that you can't use today's rules to decide on an event in the  past.

Works with everything not just sport 

Edited by Andyben

The time that Spain have looked at least 'rattled'... Pre the France opening 10 mins or so, was against Georgia (I think) where they went a bit longer going forward, hitting it beyond the Spanish press. That was Georgia who did that. 

We can do better than Georgia. 

They can be got at, but... They can get at us.

IT SHOULD be a good game. 

And so to the final.

Spain v England 8pm BBC1

Hold on tight, wear your lucky clothes, drink from your lucky glass/mug, rub the dog or whatever else you need to do to get England over the line and finally win a tournament since 1966 and on foreign soil.

COME ON ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🦁🦁🦁

57 minutes ago, Billysboy said:

At least they refresh the lyrics, be "60 years of hurt" if they don't win tonite.

I'm with @mkowl that song and the Its Coming Home mantra is an embarrassment.  

One of the reasons I will be a grumpy arse and stay at home to watch it.  Can't do with those who never watch football chanting it !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I'm with @mkowl that song and the Its Coming Home mantra is an embarrassment.  

One of the reasons I will be a grumpy arse and stay at home to watch it.  Can't do with those who never watch football chanting it !

Nowhere near as bad as the abysmal 'Sweet Caroline'!

44 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Nowhere near as bad as the abysmal 'Sweet Caroline'!

I used to quite like this song but the addition of that "so good, so good, so good" bit has made me despise it.

On 10/07/2024 at 22:43, Andyben said:

I'd be tempted  to go back to a 4-3-2-1 against Spain.

Walker Stones Guehi Shaw

Rice Mainoo Bellingham 

Saka Foden

Kane

Let's see but this is his Starting XI

On 13/07/2024 at 10:33, mkowl said:

Like Wednesday I worry more if we go two up and then stop playing. 

When the Dutch got a degree of control for 10 minutes they created 3 or 4 chances. The Spanish are better and their movement worries me around the edge of the box 

Since 1966 !

Gutted but the better team won, we had our moments during the game but the speed that Spain play with on & off the ball is an absolute joy to watch, the touch & go around the area is difficult to defend.

Well done to Spain, the best team in the Tournament by far.

Bitter pill to swallow, but the best team throughout the tournament won.

Rio just summed it up perfectly, Southgate keeps them on a lead until we go behind. Then when we equalise they go back on it.

Waste of a shirt having Kane on for the first hour.

1 minute ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Gutted but the better team won, we had our moments during the game but the speed that Spain play with on & off the ball is an absolute joy to watch, the touch & go around the area is difficult to defend.

Well done to Spain, the best team in the Tournament by far.

The reality is there can be few complaints based on the chances Spain created in the 2nd half. 

England have the nucleus of a good squad, but we must never fall into the trap of an unbalanced team like half this tournament.

We have talent but we need the workers and tactics to get them on the ball

Southgate does need to leave. New ideas, someone closer to the club tactics now employed. 

We may have seen the last of Kane but hopefully we can put Three Lions in the fucking bin, it's a curse

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chelters said:

From a footballing perspective that’s the right result. Spain were comfortably the best team in the tournament.

The emphasis there is team. England improved in that regard but it's still more a collection of individuals. 

I mean aside from Kane you can't say anyone played poorly. We simply struggled to get Foden and Bellingham as an attacking threat. Mainoo showed he was new to this level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

The emphasis there is team. England improved in that regard but it's still more a collection of individuals. 

I mean aside from Kane you can't say anyone played poorly. We simply struggled to get Foden and Bellingham as an attacking threat. Mainoo showed he was new to this level.

Been the problem for years. We try and find a system to suit the players, rather than getting the players to suit the system. 

2 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Gutted but the best team on the day, and the tournament, won.

It's still fucking disappointing though.

And the next World Cup is in the US with hot conditions so whilst this group will improve not sure it will be enough.

It is disappointing but I am fairly sanguine about it. Too long in the tooth, seen it too often to get misplaced hope. Those younger then fair enough they still have that belief and it will hurt for sure this defeat. 

3 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Been the problem for years. We try and find a system to suit the players, rather than getting the players to suit the system. 

And the media and fan base are culpable in that regard. 

Promoting players after 2 good games 

But that others are undroppable

I still don't think it helps that too many qualifiers are non competitive. So when we do play the better quality teams we struggle.

4 minutes ago, mkowl said:

And the next World Cup is in the US with hot conditions so whilst this group will improve not sure it will be enough.

It is disappointing but I am fairly sanguine about it. Too long in the tooth, seen it too often to get misplaced hope. Those younger then fair enough they still have that belief and it will hurt for sure this defeat. 

And the problem being that this Spain team have at least 2 more tournaments of winning in front of them.

We're miles behind in that extent.

On a sad note,that must surely be Kane's last game at full level.

Well that was like watching a non league side go to Manchester City in a cup match. 

Everytime we have faced decent opposition, we've looked like we've never played football.

Belgium twice, Croatia, Italy and tonight. I'm giving the France QF game a let off

It was so evident that the tactic wasn't working yet never changed. Saka isn't a wing back at all. Williams had so much freedom down his side, especially for the opening goal. 

For a few minutes, they were rattled but instead of taking the initiative and getting at them after making it 1-1, its back to safety first. 

Rubbish performance, as bad as our no show against Hull City. 

Just now, Skamp said:

And the problem being that this Spain team have at least 2 more tournaments of winning in front of them.

We're miles behind in that extent.

On a sad note,that must surely be Kane's last game at full level.

I think he was carrying an injury but if he had dropped him you can imagine the furore.

But he has been a drag on our performance for a while now