Euros 2024

On 13/07/2024 at 10:33, mkowl said:

Like Wednesday I worry more if we go two up and then stop playing. 

When the Dutch got a degree of control for 10 minutes they created 3 or 4 chances. The Spanish are better and their movement worries me around the edge of the box 

Since 1966 !

Here’s hoping this is, as a nation, our 1991 SWFC League Cup moment.

Manchester United, like England, got to the final by a harder route than we did.

Manchester United, like Spain, were overwhelming favourites to beat us at Wembley. Wednesday fans, like England fans, gave their side the greatest support that day.

And it was Sheffield Wednesday, and hopefully England, that upset the odds and won!

Come on England! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🦁🦁🦁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gutted but the better team won, we had our moments during the game but the speed that Spain play with on & off the ball is an absolute joy to watch, the touch & go around the area is difficult to defend.

Well done to Spain, the best team in the Tournament by far.

Bitter pill to swallow, but the best team throughout the tournament won.

Rio just summed it up perfectly, Southgate keeps them on a lead until we go behind. Then when we equalise they go back on it.

Waste of a shirt having Kane on for the first hour.

1 minute ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Gutted but the better team won, we had our moments during the game but the speed that Spain play with on & off the ball is an absolute joy to watch, the touch & go around the area is difficult to defend.

Well done to Spain, the best team in the Tournament by far.

The reality is there can be few complaints based on the chances Spain created in the 2nd half. 

England have the nucleus of a good squad, but we must never fall into the trap of an unbalanced team like half this tournament.

We have talent but we need the workers and tactics to get them on the ball

Southgate does need to leave. New ideas, someone closer to the club tactics now employed. 

We may have seen the last of Kane but hopefully we can put Three Lions in the fucking bin, it's a curse

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chelters said:

From a footballing perspective that’s the right result. Spain were comfortably the best team in the tournament.

The emphasis there is team. England improved in that regard but it's still more a collection of individuals. 

I mean aside from Kane you can't say anyone played poorly. We simply struggled to get Foden and Bellingham as an attacking threat. Mainoo showed he was new to this level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

The emphasis there is team. England improved in that regard but it's still more a collection of individuals. 

I mean aside from Kane you can't say anyone played poorly. We simply struggled to get Foden and Bellingham as an attacking threat. Mainoo showed he was new to this level.

Been the problem for years. We try and find a system to suit the players, rather than getting the players to suit the system. 

2 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Gutted but the best team on the day, and the tournament, won.

It's still fucking disappointing though.

And the next World Cup is in the US with hot conditions so whilst this group will improve not sure it will be enough.

It is disappointing but I am fairly sanguine about it. Too long in the tooth, seen it too often to get misplaced hope. Those younger then fair enough they still have that belief and it will hurt for sure this defeat. 

3 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Been the problem for years. We try and find a system to suit the players, rather than getting the players to suit the system. 

And the media and fan base are culpable in that regard. 

Promoting players after 2 good games 

But that others are undroppable

I still don't think it helps that too many qualifiers are non competitive. So when we do play the better quality teams we struggle.

4 minutes ago, mkowl said:

And the next World Cup is in the US with hot conditions so whilst this group will improve not sure it will be enough.

It is disappointing but I am fairly sanguine about it. Too long in the tooth, seen it too often to get misplaced hope. Those younger then fair enough they still have that belief and it will hurt for sure this defeat. 

And the problem being that this Spain team have at least 2 more tournaments of winning in front of them.

We're miles behind in that extent.

On a sad note,that must surely be Kane's last game at full level.

Well that was like watching a non league side go to Manchester City in a cup match. 

Everytime we have faced decent opposition, we've looked like we've never played football.

Belgium twice, Croatia, Italy and tonight. I'm giving the France QF game a let off

It was so evident that the tactic wasn't working yet never changed. Saka isn't a wing back at all. Williams had so much freedom down his side, especially for the opening goal. 

For a few minutes, they were rattled but instead of taking the initiative and getting at them after making it 1-1, its back to safety first. 

Rubbish performance, as bad as our no show against Hull City. 

Just now, Skamp said:

And the problem being that this Spain team have at least 2 more tournaments of winning in front of them.

We're miles behind in that extent.

On a sad note,that must surely be Kane's last game at full level.

I think he was carrying an injury but if he had dropped him you can imagine the furore.

But he has been a drag on our performance for a while now 

Pundits (and Southgate) going on about pressing well is winding me up.  Lots of teams have pressed well in this tournament.  Some of the teams who went out in the group stage pressed with energy, strength and athleticism.  The only team who beat the press really well was Spain…and they’ve won every match without needing penalties.

4 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Well that was like watching a non league side go to Manchester City in a cup match. 

Everytime we have faced decent opposition, we've looked like we've never played football.

Belgium twice, Croatia, Italy and tonight. I'm giving the France QF game a let off

It was so evident that the tactic wasn't working yet never changed. Saka isn't a wing back at all. Williams had so much freedom down his side, especially for the opening goal. 

For a few minutes, they were rattled but instead of taking the initiative and getting at them after making it 1-1, its back to safety first. 

I am going to flip that round to say Spain re-took the initiative well after that 10 minutes rather than us drop off.

Southgate will be challenged over his tactics and the conservative approach, but the way they could pick us off not even on the counter attack. 2 scored, 2 decent saves, a couple where they should have done better. 

No England player really deserves any criticism, the goals were not mistakes from anyone, but came from it being 3 on 3 

A new manager to come in, get a system that suits active possession. 

1 minute ago, owl71 said:

Pundits (and Southgate) going on about pressing well is winding me up.  Lots of teams have pressed well in this tournament.  Some of the teams who went out in the group stage pressed with energy, strength and athleticism.  The only team who beat the press really well was Spain…and they’ve won every match without needing penalties.

Just the modern buzzword, at least XG fucked off in this tournament. 

24 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

That’s it for me. People point to Southgate’s record, but we’ve had very easy draws in the past few years. We get far in tournaments, but still lose against the first good team we play. Tonight was probably the worst of the lot because the gulf in class was clear.

6 minutes ago, Gamblor said:

That’s it for me. People point to Southgate’s record, but we’ve had very easy draws in the past few years. We get far in tournaments, but still lose against the first good team we play. Tonight was probably the worst of the lot because the gulf in class was clear.

Nothing will improve until we stop the with the tippy tappy negative risk averse tactics. Tactics that have been used by successive England managers 

13 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

Nothing will improve until we stop the with the tippy tappy negative risk averse tactics. Tactics that have been used by successive England managers 

Agree, we need a manager who is going to play on the front foot, but I don’t think there’s anyone English who fits that. Klopp or Poch would do it, but would people accept them? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Saka left Walker high & dry on both Spanish goals tonight, both goals came down that right hand side.

• Like 1

Anyway, there is one definite bit of positivity from this England squad

The performance of Guehi has surely resulted in the end of seeing Harry Maguire in an England shirt.

John Stones has had his best tournament by far

• Like 5

We had a round table guess at the final result before the game, most went with the draw, I went 2-1 to Spain, I felt they'd have too much for us and it proved correct, we did trouble them on occasion but failed to seize the initiative at 1-1, Southgate does need to step down now.

The good news about being pessimistic is that whilst still disappointed at the outcome the sense of despair is somewhat lower. The similarities to the 2nd season under Carlos are evident. The emphasis on pragmatic football is fine IF you win. When you don't then the sense of what could have been eats at you. And that is the feeling with England this morning.

We got back into the game, but did we immediately retreat again. It's almost like the plan was for extra time, maybe pens forgetting the 90 minute mark is pretty pivotal. 

Overall this tournament was never better than 5/10 for quality of the football. The tactics aside from a few, Spain, Georgia, Turkish, Austra were safety first. Maybe it's too important, too stifling international games to make it interesting, maybe as Bielsa says the game is dominated by analysts, data etc. I am sure Spain do all of that but they play it feels with a sense of freedom that Southgate choked out of this lot

We all get carried away with the euphoria of getting to the latter stages but if you analyse each game we were quite poor barring the first half against the Dutch, Spain had a much more difficult path to the final but got their with relative ease. As a whole it hasn't been a fantastic tournament.

The best news before the proper football starts would be the announcement of an end to Southgates tenure.

Think I mist be in the minority because overall I think it's been a great tournament with some really enjoyable games. Yeah England have been a slog to watch at times, but when aren't they under Southgate?