Euros 2024

4 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

Perhaps they haven’t failed looking at the carnage in the Jock penalty area 

That Hungarian lad looked in a right pickle, not sure they should have shown that and what were the Hungarian medical staff fucking about at coming on so late.

Edited by Otto_Man
  • Sad 1

Not a great game, but that last 5 mins plus stoppage time were entertaining. Scotland were just really poor. They looked like an old fashioned championship side chucking crosses into the box from 30 yards out, which wasn’t what they were doing during the qualifiers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skamp said:

Group B last games

Albania v Spain 8pm BBC2

Croatia v Italy 8pm BBC1

How it stands going into the game before Spain and Italy qualify as 1st and 2nd

Screenshot_20240624_082343_LiveScore.thumb.jpg.bdafb4479e3886fd7ab0450ac043b9b2.jpg

We are not likely to see any third place team qualify from this group unless Croatia pull a surprise against Italy (who have been pretty poor).

There’s been some right bullshit spouted about that penalty shout.  Armstrong initiated the contact by sticking his arm out to impede the defender, who was faster than him, thereby making the defender fall into him, and bring him down.  Clever, but there’s something called VAR now.

• Like 1

I just don’t think the jocks had enough quality all over the pitch.

Dare I say it, the also didn’t have anything in midfield that could do a round the corner pass like BB does/ did. The one time they did something akin to that ie turned the Hungarian defence they got a decent chance.

Im ambivalent to Steve Clarke but he needed to make 1+1=3 with squad he had but he got 1.5 at best.

15 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Scotland out again?

Not even their top scorer own goals could get them through

We've scored more goals than the frOGs so far.

2 hours ago, owl71 said:

There’s been some right bullshit spouted about that penalty shout.  Armstrong initiated the contact by sticking his arm out to impede the defender, who was faster than him, thereby making the defender fall into him, and bring him down.  Clever, but there’s something called VAR now.

I didn't think it was a pen. Agree with you re the trying to initiate contact (arm and dangling leg). He also clearly pulled the defender's shirt, just to make sure he went down in a heap. Not that anyone on BBC was interested in admitting that. They're supposed to be unbiased!

The ball was there for Armstrong to play but he wasn't interested. No pen.

As expected, Scotland-esque last night. When's the next 'glorious failure' train coming along? 🙁

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I just don’t think the jocks had enough quality all over the pitch.

Dare I say it, the also didn’t have anything in midfield that could do a round the corner pass like BB does/ did. The one time they did something akin to that ie turned the Hungarian defence they got a decent chance.

Im ambivalent to Steve Clarke but he needed to make 1+1=3 with squad he had but he got 1.5 at best.

If Scotland were a Club team would they be mid Championship level, or would McGinn, Robertson and McTomeney drag them a bit further up.   Suppose they may have beaten Sheff United last year.

They might at least relax and knowing they would face Germany if finished runners up might just encourage them.

But the format of the tournament is wrong, the 3rd place to get through possibility needs to be ditched

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Problem being that they need to get down to 16 teams and we don't really need to be going to 28 starters with 14 going through plus 2 x best 3rds.

Or do we? 4 more slots would've alloed teams like Greece, Wales, Ireland, N Ireland, Sweden and so forth a shot at glory.

Edited by Skamp

46 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Problem being that they need to get down to 16 teams and we don't really need to be going to 28 starters with 14 going through plus 2 x best 3rds.

Or do we? 4 more slots would've alloed teams like Greece, Wales, Ireland, N Ireland, Sweden and so forth a shot at glory.

Fuck that

11 hours ago, Skamp said:

I mean in theory you could have 32 teams over 8 groups x 4 (like the World Cup is / was). 

Did that increase to 48 teams for the next one - I lose track.

I mean I understand the wanting to give more countries the opportunity, for the under developed 3rd world countries like Scotland or Wales it's nice they can have a week away. 

Tbf the football has in general been more open and attacking because you do have a 2nd chance, it's just the finishing 3rd and getting through that could perhaps lead to convulted games in other scenarios

• Haha 1