Euros 2024

11 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

Im not jumping for joy at that change 

We’re already through and today only determines our opponents. It’s a free hit where we could try anything. Gareth Southgate makes the change which has been his earliest sub in each match and that’s it. 

If we win today we avoid Germany, Spain and France until the final, so that means we’d avoid Germany, Spain and France. 

Roy Keane for all his complete bellendness is bang on the money when he says that the England players are basically faggorts that can’t take any stick, in my interpretation of course.

14 minutes ago, Gamblor said:

We’re already through and today only determines our opponents. It’s a free hit where we could try anything. Gareth Southgate makes the change which has been his earliest sub in each match and that’s it. 

If we win today we avoid Germany, Spain and France until the final, so that means we’d avoid Germany, Spain and France. 

Given the second paragraph, surely the change and line up makes complete sense doesn't it? Well it does to me, let's go 3 up before we experiment surely?

52 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Given the second paragraph, surely the change and line up makes complete sense doesn't it? Well it does to me, let's go 3 up before we experiment surely?

Two up please.

Knock Croatia out 

The players are better of course but like watching how Wednesday played the last year of Carlos, or under Monk. 

Have the ball, do very little with it, more sideways and backward passes. 

And knowing the manager has his favourites, too stubborn / loyal to change it. Kane has to be withdrawn, you can't live off what might happen based on the past 

Best I've seen us play.

Leaving middle open a little as we're playing more on the front foot, but much better.

Think we'll see Mainoo for Gallagher and I'm not impressed with Kane's performance but much improved 

Just now, Andyben said:

Best I've seen us play.

Leaving middle open a little as we're playing more on the front foot, but much better.

Think we'll see Mainoo for Gallagher and I'm not impressed with Kane's performance but much improved 

Low bar that 

• Like 1

Just now, Andyben said:

Best I've seen us play.

🙄

1 minute ago, Otto_Man said:

England look like a shit grass roots team. No plan, no movement, players all in each others way and the dumb fuck manager looking on clueless 

All that's missing is some dad in a club tracksuit running up and down the line windmilling his arms shouting gerrit for'ad

• Like 1

Just now, Andyben said:

Imagine being Tomey/Watkins etc seeing that 

I'd have thrown Toney on because he's got more pace than Kane but still holds the physical threat. It'll never happen though because what happens if Toney scores? Southgate then has a dilemma he doesn't want

• Like 1

The tempo was there tonight. But fuck me, are we lacking in creativity. There are no players in our team to get the ball between the lines despite the fact we have players who can get down the sides.

But, I was much happier tonight because we tried to move the ball quickly. Some good displays, Guehi and Walker were good, Mainoo was good when he came on. I thought Palmer did different things to Saka who I thought also did well. Rice was much better second half.

But, we have a massive issue at left back. Bellingham was poor, Gallagher was poor.

We were also helped by Slovenia shutting up shop after 55 minutes.

• Like 1

I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll do better against the better teams, where we're not having to break them down.

Problem is we may not be expecting to face one until ze final.

I pray Shaw is available Sunday, and if not I'd probably start Gomez

• Like 1

Bit of a non-aggression pact.  A point always enough for Slovenia. They had a little bit of a pop first half but basically gave up any attacking intent when Cesko was subbed.  Southgate making like for like subs…in basically a shot to nothing.  Bollocks.  Waste of time going to the pub to watch it.  We have not seen potential tournament winners, or even semi finalists, tonight.

Edited by owl71

6 minutes ago, Andyben said:

I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll do better against the better teams, where we're not having to break them down.

Edit. Reason is I feel teams are stronger when they set up assymetricly on the sides. 

Never play two outside or two inside wingers with attacking full backs, preferably play a wide midfielder on one side with an overlapper and a winger on the other with a more defensive full back.

So Walker and Foden on the right, and in the absence of Shaw, Gomez and Gordon on the left.

3 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Edit. Reason is I feel teams are stronger when they set up assymetricly on the sides. 

Never play two outside or two inside wingers with attacking full backs, preferably play a wide midfielder on one side with an overlapper and a winger on the other with a more defensive full back.

So Walker and Foden on the right, and in the absence of Shaw, Gomez and Gordon on the left.

As you said earlier, I hope Shaw is fit

5 minutes ago, Andyben said:

I can agree with the reasoning somewhat. Whilst we may create more, I think unfortunately the defence will be too weak to resist, the sloppiness in midfield more likely to be punished.

England clearly have good players but play better as part of teams that have better coaching but other good players that offer a different dynamic. So it's how they complement each other. It's all a bit samey 

Walker Stones Guehi Shaw

Rice Mainoo 

That should cope with any of the attacking sides we've seen so far, and the  midfield two can turn defence j to attack very swiftly 

Spain is the only worry.

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

Walker Stones Guehi Shaw

Rice Mainoo 

That should cope with any of the attacking sides we've seen so far, and the  midfield two can turn defence j to attack very swiftly 

Spain is the only worry.

No, Southgate is the only worry.

• Like 2

Good to see that Southgate has managed to turn England fans on each other. The fans booing being told by the happy clappers to "get behind the lads".

There is merit to the latter of course, I mean Wednesday are the epitome of fans that would clap a pile of shit if it was in blue and white stripes. 

I mean the folk going out there are paying out a lot for the privilege. They do it willingly but there must be a few that resent it. Perhaps you just reflect like a Wednesday away day that it's fun aside from the 90 minutes of football. 

Let’s look at the positives.

Defensively we look strong. I think we have faced the least attempts on goal in the competition. There were shoots when Mainoo came on where Rice could then go and do that number 8 job that he’s done so well at Arsenal. Mainoo was very bright and there was an immediate rapport between him and the creative players ahead of him.

Our right side is very strong with Saka, Walker and the cameo from Cole Palmer.

We looked a threat from set pieces against a big Slovenian side because the delivery was decent.

Our issues are…

Left back without Shaw is an issue. It’s really hurting Foden because Trippier has to come inside, which then means Foden comes inside, and in turn it clogs up the middle. It would be worse with Gomez there because he offers nothing over the halfway line at all, and his distribution is really poor.

We haven’t figured out the conundrum of Foden and Bellingham, we are now at a stage where we can only pick one to help the balance of the team. Foden has been better than Bellingham the last two games because he is more mobile and has better movement. If we have to play a right footed left back, then I’m picking Gordon down the left now.

Kane was much better. But, he’s struggling with the press. He got bollockings from Rice, Foden and Jude last night for not going early enough.

The biggest issue is that we are not being brave enough in the last third. This means that when we get a player one on one, we aren’t trying to back them up enough. I watched France last night, who have been poor, and every time the wide player gets it, he drives at the defender. The amount of cut backs and blocked crosses in the France game was very high.

The shoots are there. But, we need to be braver.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

It would be worse with Gomez there because he offers nothing over the halfway line at all, and his distribution is really poor.

This is reason for my lob-sided wings. If Gordon plays, with Gomez effectively defending like full backs used to (and is becoming more common in elite football), then the Mainoo/Rice axis behind him and Bellingham/Foden/Palmer in the 10 role, means less congestion and more options for Gordon to go 'Out or In' especially with how cute the #10s can pass round corners etc.

If we're not playing Holland, Kane gets the first half against  and is told You're a #9. You play within the width of the box, do not move off the last man's shoulder and start the press high and early. If he doesn't - he's hooked

If it is Holland, whose defensive line plays quite high, I'm gonna start Ivan Toney, Watkins or even Palmer .

I'm resting Bellingham for the next round.

Versus P3 team

Pickford

Walker Stones Guehi  Shaw/Gomez

Mainoo Rice

Saka   Foden   Gordon

Kane

Versus Holland

Pickford

Walker Stones Guehi  Shaw/Gomez

Mainoo Rice

Palmer Foden   Gordon

Toney