Euros 2024

2 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Back four and Rice were good. Kane much better second half. Gallagher and Bowen good when they came on. TAA poor. Foden poor.

Kane had a great second half.

6 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Back four and Rice were good. Kane much better second half. Gallagher and Bowen good when they came on. TAA poor. Foden poor.

Need Shaw fit. ASAP

Gallagher and Mainoo did more than enough to be in contention for the second midfielder position.

Not sure 4231 will work with what we've got.

Alan Shearer is on acid.

God that was boring, even the first 25mins weren’t exactly scintillating.

The back line did ok but tougher opponents are to come. Rice did ok as did Saka and then Bowen, Bellingham is quality but I’m  not sure GS it’s clear on how best to utilise him

TAA was ordinary at best, Foden seemed lost or at least ineffective and Kane isolated.

A win despite GS not because of his influence. Any chance Pep would like a summer project!

I still consider England being like watching Wednesday just with better players.

Flatter to deceive and make a rod for our own backs by going into conservative mode once we go ahead.

Foden is made to look very average, but I can promise stick Cole Palmer in there he would too. 

One aspect that I consider pertinent is Southgate has been England manager for nearly 8 years, which de facto means he has not managed at in the Premier League for that period. 

The set up and tactics employed at the top level these days are not something he has done. Half the games you play against the lower ranked teams you win without too much effort. The pressure is that you can't take the risks a club manager can during a season. You can't lose.  

Bellingham ran the game in the first half, but maybe the way the Serbs set up with a low block gave him the time and space to do so?  Also, as another poster has said, everything going through Bellingham does not necessarily get the best out of Foden.  Different game when the Serbs made changes and pressed us higher second half.  We struggle to control games when under a bit of pressure.  England being favourites always seemed a bit over the top.  We have excellent individuals, but other teams look better balanced.

Serbia were awkward as we have seen with others like Ukraine in the past and the USA in a World Cup. England have the tendency to start well in opening games and then for whatever reason just lose the plot. Same thing happened tonight but I think only Spain and England have kept clean sheets.

Main bugbear was the really sloppy passing as if we’d been a bit calmer we’d have been 2/3 up by half time and a totally different feeling after the win. 

Foden might as well have not been on the pitch but it wasn't his fault. I think the tactic was to overload the right, let Foden drift inside and allow Bellingham to ghost in alongside Kane. If you look at Foden's position when Bellingham scored then it worked. But then Bellingham started running round like a kid in Redgates, wanting everything. He reminded me of Rooney when he used to drop deep and take the ball off defender's toes. Foden then has to stay left and Trippier can't find him cos he's playing right footed infield passes. So the best English player in the 'best league in the world' is reduced to a bit part. 

Serbia are the pot 4 team in that group and if Tadic had started then England lose that game. If Southgate sets up the same way against Denmark then Eriksen will sit in that Alexander-Arnold sized gap, in a comfy armchair with his slippers on, and feed Hojland all game long. If Hojland puts his boots on the right feet then England are in trouble 

It just proves that if you can mould talent and teamwork then you will be effective. England currently are less the sum of the individual parts.

Others like Serbia are greater, I just think the playing for their nation is the pinnacle of what they can achieve. An England player can achieve great wealth and become a legend without international success. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atroi said:

Hmmm....I don´t know why you have to post a lie by doktor dementi here , which was corrected just below this video fortunately. 

What is the lie? The Police did shoot a german man who was carrying a molotov cocktail and an axe

The link was from a UK Newspaper.

8 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

My take from last nights game. 

I won a tenner on the William Hill epic odds.

I also won about £3.80 or so from a SkyBet free bet builder where I had England to win and Bellingham to score.

I have a miserable life and the misery is shared equally between my home life, my health and my football. The 33.33% alloted to the football is already catered for. There's FA left for England and that's why I don't really GAF  if they win or lose.

England beat the European equivalent of FGR last night, they were poor. Whatever happened to the days when if you had better players you were assured to win? Dusan Tadic ffs.

Not a good comparison using Serbia and FGR in my opinion, miles off the mark

Wasn’t there a stat that England had only won one of ten opening games at the Euros before yesterday, so a win is a win, but, Serbia sat back and let us have the ball, as soon as we scored and the Serbs had to start playing it was different. Trent was great making those raking ten yard sideway passes, thank goodness for Declan Rice 👍

Edited by Theman

14 hours ago, mkowl said:

I still consider England being like watching Wednesday just with better players.

Flatter to deceive and make a rod for our own backs by going into conservative mode once we go ahead.

Foden is made to look very average, but I can promise stick Cole Palmer in there he would too. 

TAA is Palmer. Not great in his natural position so move him into midfield. 3% of game he does well and folk wank o'er it forgetting the other 97% when he portrays Adam Sandler in Click

Watching England is the same as Wednesday, knowing we can do better but hanging on at the death 

10 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

TAA is Palmer. Not great in his natural position so move him into midfield. 3% of game he does well and folk wank o'er it forgetting the other 97% when he portrays Adam Sandler in Click

Watching England is the same as Wednesday, knowing we can do better but hanging on at the death 

TAA is Bannan.

• Like 1

We are getting close to not being able to pick Bellingham and Foden at the same time.

Against the top teams, you can’t put Bellingham in alongside Rice because he won’t hold his shape. You can’t play Foden deeper because he doesn’t offer much when we don’t have the ball.

Agaisnt Denmark, I’m dropping Foden. If Shaw can do 70 minutes, I’ll start him. I’d put Gallagher in alongside Rice - I thought he was excellent when he came on last night. I’d either move Saka left and start Palmer right, or, I’d leave Saka right and play Gordon left because he’s very quick and will go down the outside. Foden will benefit from a left footed left back, but he’s been pretty terrible in his last two games and we can’t carry people.

Great! Grealish not there and now some are calling Foden to be dropped...

A right footer at LB is the issue here, a few times Foden went out for the ball only for Trippier to turn back and knock a shit ball backwards. I like Tripper but not at LB

Edited by Ozzie
  • Like 1

Southgate needs to play Wharton in the position TAA was in last night.  He's the best link passer in the squad, he'll keep the ball going forward and he'll be able to find Kane, which wasn't happening at all in the second half.  If he plays Wharton, the team will gel, much more so than if Mainoo or Gallagher are in there.  He's better than both of them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

We are getting close to not being able to pick Bellingham and Foden at the same time.

Against the top teams, you can’t put Bellingham in alongside Rice because he won’t hold his shape. You can’t play Foden deeper because he doesn’t offer much when we don’t have the ball.

Agaisnt Denmark, I’m dropping Foden. If Shaw can do 70 minutes, I’ll start him. I’d put Gallagher in alongside Rice - I thought he was excellent when he came on last night. I’d either move Saka left and start Palmer right, or, I’d leave Saka right and play Gordon left because he’s very quick and will go down the outside. Foden will benefit from a left footed left back, but he’s been pretty terrible in his last two games and we can’t carry people.

Sadly, I have to agree with that 

Unless there are injuries then the same 11 will start. Southgate will not drop anyone because that will add credibility to the Foden was shit and Alexander-Arnold can't play midfield chatter that's happening everywhere right now. 

And because it's happening everywhere, any deviation in team selection would be taken as 'Southgate got it wrong' or 'Southgate bows to social media pressure'. Either of which he'll be keen to show he didn't do. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Yes, I agree. Stupid comparison to make after having a couple of beers. Apologies to any FGR fans that may be reading, I don't for one minute think you're that bad.😂

Only kidding, point taken.👀

We need to be better Thursday that's for sure, a more balanced approach needed not trying to shoehorn all the best individuals in, and TAA.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Foden - Bellingham 

Reminds me of Gerrard & Lampard.

Can't play in the same team.

they can with the right manager  - and it was working until Jude thought he was playing FIFA 16 and wanted to do everything 

• Like 1

Just now, BraddersTim said:

Mourinho would get it working.

Mourinho would only pick one of them. 

5 minutes ago, Andyben said:

they can with the right manager  - and it was working until Jude thought he was playing FIFA 16 and wanted to do everything 

There is a way of doing it. But you need Shaw fit, or you move Saka and play Foden in front of Walker. Saka and Walker last night caused lots of problems for 60 minutes.

8 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Mourinho would only pick one of them. 

There is a way of doing it. But you need Shaw fit, or you move Saka and play Foden in front of Walker. Saka and Walker last night caused lots of problems for 60 minutes.

Its a question of being disciplined and knowing your role.

That's what makes Foden so effective for City and why Pep trusts him now. Too often last night there was Trippier, Kane, Foden and Bellingham within 10yds of each other. 

52 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Danny Röhl looks like someone's farted every time Aluko speaks 

Yea but she's got 100 caps for England and he's got none so that means she's more qualified. 

In her eyes, anyway 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andyben said:

That's what makes Foden so effective for City and why Pep trusts him now. Too often last night there was Trippier, Kane, Foden and Bellingham within 10yds of each other. 

FFS I hate having to agree with Andyben and now it's twice within 2 months.

2 hours ago, Andyben said:

FFS I hate having to agree with Andyben and now it's twice within 2 months.

DR was right pre the game tonight when talking about England, we need to give Foden the ball where he’s used to getting it. 
As AB said, re Bellingham. He took it upon himself to try to do everything, but there was one moment in the second half when he tried to turn his man about 5 times out on the left, when Foden was stood waiting for the layoff. 

Bellingham is different gravy, at times he’s the finest onion gravy, but he’s got to mature a bit to be that all the time. 

• Like 1