Euros 2024

DR was right pre the game tonight when talking about England, we need to give Foden the ball where he’s used to getting it. 
As AB said, re Bellingham. He took it upon himself to try to do everything, but there was one moment in the second half when he tried to turn his man about 5 times out on the left, when Foden was stood waiting for the layoff. 

Bellingham is different gravy, at times he’s the finest onion gravy, but he’s got to mature a bit to be that all the time. 

• Like 1

They should have an idiot rule.

If you put your head somewhere where another player can reasonable be expected to play it with his feet and get kicked in it, yellow card for being stupid.

Too many of these stupid bookings like the Austria one with the keeper or those where somebody get booked because some other muppet tried heading something at knee height.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

DR was right pre the game tonight when talking about England, we need to give Foden the ball where he’s used to getting it. 
As AB said, re Bellingham. He took it upon himself to try to do everything, but there was one moment in the second half when he tried to turn his man about 5 times out on the left, when Foden was stood waiting for the layoff. 

Bellingham is different gravy, at times he’s the finest onion gravy, but he’s got to mature a bit to be that all the time. 

No-one is addressing 'the elephant in the room'.  Pre-match yesterday, DR praised TAA for his England performance the night before. 

3 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

No-one is addressing 'the elephant in the room'.  Pre-match yesterday, DR praised TAA for his England performance the night before. 

Let him keep throwing the odd mistake in. Makes the vultures think twice. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I think he was just going with the narrative that ITV were setting rather than giving his actual view. I would have much rather have heard whether or not he’d be targeting TAA if his team was playing against England. 

Watching Turkey v Georgia.  Fantastic Turkish support but I wish they'd shurrup with the non-stop booing whenever Georgia have the ball.  Does my nut in.  

Smashing game now: it's just gone from Turkey 2-0, (2 in a  2 minutes), to 1-1 very soon afterwards. 2nd Turkey goal given offside by VAR with a pic showing half a boot.  And Georgia almost just took the lead. Game on!

6 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Watching Turkey v Georgia.  Fantastic Turkish support but I wish they'd shurrup with the non-stop booing whenever Georgia have the ball.  Does my nut in.  

Smashing game now: it's just gone from Turkey 2-0, (2 in a  2 minutes), to 1-1 very soon afterwards. 2nd Turkey goal given offside by VAR with a pic showing half a boot.  And Georgia almost just took the lead. Game on!

Turkiye fans booing a local rival? The bastards and Germany is full of Turks hence the support.

Never thought or them being local rivals.  Just looked at it.  👍  Next to our nearly owner's country too: Azerbaijan, Land of Fire.

Plenty more than Turks do that constant booing - I think I remember Italian & Spanish clubs contesting a European final in Britain, yonks back, doing it throughout - but I absolutely loathe it.  And yep, almost a home game for Turkey.  

Went to all three of the Euro '96 games at Hillsborough. Was quite looking forward to the last one. Was quite looking forward to the last one for the atmosphere between the Danes and Turkey. Think Turkey were already out by then and only 2,000 turned up, a right anti-climax.  

• Like 1

If Southgate needs to know how to play 4-2-3-1 he just needs to watch Germany. 

The fluidity and inter-changing of that front 4, anchored by a proper middle 2 is a joy to watch. Foden would work in that team

9 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

If Southgate needs to know how to play 4-2-3-1 he just needs to watch Germany. 

The fluidity and inter-changing of that front 4, anchored by a proper middle 2 is a joy to watch. Foden would work in that team

Tbf when he played Kalvin Phillips in there and he was in form it looked more solid.

People think that to be more attacking you need all the attacking talent on the pitch at the same time. But there is no point to that if you do not gain control of the ball. 

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

When?

Well the last Euros he was alright to a fashion. Not saying he is the solution more that type of player - so that there is a solid base where the forward players can play in a free manner

2 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Another goal by McOg

Their leading goalscorer still.

Quality all round is shocking, I thought it was a live advert for the Women's Euros next summer 

Posted (edited)

Today then

Group C

Slovenia v Serbia 2pm ITV1

Denmark v England 5pm BBC1

Group B

Spain v Italy 8pm ITV1

Predictions for the England game

Edited by Skamp

17 hours ago, Skamp said:

Looked a foul to me but VAR and home nation combo allowed it.

Interestingly Gündogan said in an interview regarding this, that he played several years in the premier league and if this goal hadn´t been allowed, the English would have laughed out loud.  There is this football expression in German "Englische Härte" (English hardness ) that would apply here. (Now waiting for the remarks 😉)

Anyway , even in my family we were of different opinions : my brother said it was a foul and I said ....meh

Serbia threatening to withdraw from the tournament if UEFA don't punish Croatia and Abania for their fans joining forces in singing 'kill, kill the Serbs" during yesterday's game.

5 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Serbia threatening to withdraw from the tournament if UEFA don't punish Croatia and Abania for their fans joining forces in singing 'kill, kill the Serbs" during yesterday's game.

If England fans did something similar, UEFA would be down on us like a ton of bricks 

• Like 1