Deal done for Danny?

10 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

Fully expect DR has requested this and DC has come up with the goods yet again. Over to our correspondent at Hillsborough our very own,

That isn't his picture, somebody posted a load of drone shots on facebook yesterday

27 minutes ago, star said:

That isn't his picture, somebody posted a load of drone shots on facebook yesterday

Old Geoff, really is an odd little ****, hope the fucker stays in America. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CasbahOwl said:

Max Lowe, released by the pigs & now a free agent has already met with DR & looks to be his first signing of the season!

Stalk rumour mill in operation. If we are stupid enough to sign Lowe then DR instantly goes down in my estimation. 

And this isn't based on where he'll have come from. It's based on his injury record. Hamstring issues, knee ligaments, ankle ligaments, and his groin is completely fucked. He's saw a surgeon more times than he's saw Wilder last season and he's still not fully fit. He failed a contract extension medical at the Sty which is why they packed him off. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

Fully expect DR has requested this and DC has come up with the goods yet again. Over to our correspondent at Hillsborough our very own,

As far as I'm aware we do this every summer with the desso pitch. Basically they shave off the top surface, redress it and reseed it.

• Like 2

On 24/05/2024 at 23:17, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Chansiri got lucky in appointing DR - or so I read. Silly twunt preferred Xisco to him last summer! I remember on Stalk how everyone was urging DC to go out and get the household name that was Danny Röhl back then!

The very notion that Chansiri could make such an astute and well researched appointment as Röhl is just fantastical nonsense  right? Obviously someone else behind it all.

🤣 (just in case)

Preferred Xisco, or was priced out of DR as he was still under contract with Germany and would have needed a big buy out?

51 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Preferred Xisco, or was priced out of DR as he was still under contract with Germany and would have needed a big buy out?

You'd  have to ask the sages on Owlstalk for the definitive answer to that!

Seriously though; DC pulled a rabbit out of the hat identifying Röhl in the summer. Whispers of having Xisco and his team on short term rolling contracts allowing him to revert to his first choice without crippling compo payments was a masterstroke if accurate. You have to laugh at the brass neck of the DC haters who were rabidly predicting that DC was going to cock things up re. Danny in the last few weeks. It was, after all, DC that brought in arguably the most capable and charismatic manager in my 60+ years as a fan; not that rabble.

Tangentially we were lucky that Xisco was so out of his depth that his early departure became inevitable. A merely bad start instead of a disastrous one might have seen him being given more time and us missing out on the Röhlmeister completely. FWIW I think that Xisco was handed a poisoned chalice that would have destroyed most given the shambles he took on and the lack of preparation time.  Plenty of hindsight panning of DC over his appointment but not so much at the time though eh?

• Like 1

Whatever DC’s thinking was he was an absolute clown for appointing Xisco. He should never have been anywhere near the club.

As much as I’m happy to defend DC, he very nearly got his fingers burned big time this last season and was very lucky that things turned out for us the way that they did. 

If our league season had been made into a film the critics would have had a field day calling it too far fetched!

55 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

Well I’m going to put my hand up here and admit I didn’t see the Xisco debacle coming, hats off to anyone that did mind, they’re visionaries.

Or they looked at his track record and previous managerial record. 

I was doubtful of him from the day he was appointed, but didn’t speak out on here because I wanted to back him and give him the benefit of my doubt. I would have (quite rightly) been slated on here had I voiced my concerns about him before a ball in anger had even been kicked, plus he was playing catch up given how late in the day we won promotion and then subsequently parted ways with Moore.

He deserved backing from supporters, but DC should have done more in terms of due diligence about him (especially during interview) before appointing him. 

It matters not now because DC saw the error of his ways and put things right - which is why I always have and continue to back him (that doesn’t mean I don’t question him and his actions though sometimes - but like most posters on here I look at the bigger picture and what he’s done for SWFC since taking over the club).

6 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

Well After reading that I had a look through Wiki and there’s never been a manager appointed for us who I was dead against when he got the job although there was plenty I was dead against after a bit of time but as they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I’m easily pleased I know. Should Warnock ever get the job though as has been mentioned previously then that would be my first one, I’d be dead against him. Even Pulis I was fully supportive of and yes, I know, I know. But seriously, if we as supporters miss something obvious and you’ve clocked it you really need to be shouting it from the roof tops at the time and not waiting for things to go tits up. We need to know up front. Did you know at the time Rohl got the job for instance that he’d be a successful as he’s proved to be? Must admitI’d never heard of him before. What’s your forecast for Rohl this season, will he be any good?

I never want to be against a manager when they first come to us and never will be, but I never had any confidence in Xisco as apart from Watford his managerial record was less than impressive - and even at Watford he inherited a good squad of players. He never built a decent team. 

I was absolutely over the moon when Röhl got the job and posted as much on here. In fact I was scared to build my hopes up about us getting him until he was confirmed as manager, as I didn’t think he would come to us. I felt he was a McKenna in the making (Ipswich manager) and thought his aspirations managerial wise would be higher than Sheffield Wednesday, therefore I was absolutely delighted when he came to us. I’ve posted on here several times that I think he’s the best manager we’ve had since Big Ron and I still stand by that.

I’m not expecting miracles next season but I think top 10 is achievable, and if we get in the playoffs I’ll be very, very happy - in saying that though, if DC is able to fully back him and allows him to spend a few quid, then who knows where we might finish! I wouldn’t rule anything out. 😊

• Like 1

Xisco was the head coach that was more Carlos than Carlos 

You can take risks with these appointments if there is a functioning football dept behind it. Not dismissing the likes of Frank at Brentford or De Zerbi at Brighton, but they readily replaceable.

The point about infrastructure is not that we don't have one but it's distinctly lacking compared to other teams. I suspect that formed as much of the discussion between Rohl and Chansiri, as the actual playing budget.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Alan Finney said:

Well I’m going to put my hand up here and admit I didn’t see the Xisco debacle coming, hats off to anyone that did mind, they’re visionaries.

There were very few such visionaries.......at least scant few posting on Wednesday forums etc.when he was first appointed. Turned out to be incapable of course to cope in any way, shape or form with the shambles he inherited.... especially regarding the timing and lack of senior players; even for the pre-season camp in Spain. That of course was another shambles with the heatwave. He just fell apart though and in the end was likely relieved to be put out of his misery -.many would have struggled though at that time. 

Edited by Teddy Nickelarse

1 hour ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

There were very few such visionaries.......at least scant few posting on Wednesday forums etc.when he was first appointed. Turned out to be incapable of course to cope in any way, shape or form with the shambles he inherited.... especially regarding the timing and lack of senior players; even for the pre-season camp in Spain. That of course was another shambles with the heatwave. He just fell apart though and in the end was likely relieved to be put out of his misery -.many would have struggled though at that time. 

Tbh after the manner of the departure of Moore, the next appointment was never going to be easy. Indeed if Rohl had been appointed at that point who knows he might have been derided and on the scrap heap by October himself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

Tbh after the manner of the departure of Moore, the next appointment was never going to be easy. Indeed if Rohl had been appointed at that point who knows he might have been derided and on the scrap heap by October himself. 

Distinct possibilty. Although Danny is undoubtedly a jewel; arriving after Xisco was a double edged sword. Yes he was handicapped with a points deficit but at least he had a full squad of players who'd  had time to settle into their new surroundings and with some degree of fitness. Fans were inevitably inclined to cut him a bit of slack too after the fiasco that had preceded his arrival. As you suggest the timings were serendipitous.

100% agree too with your views on improved infrastructure as being paramount but all in all things look so much brighter than they have for years notwithstanding the euphoria  of the Miracle of Hillsborough etc.

On 26/05/2024 at 14:24, Tylluan said:

Stalk rumour mill in operation. If we are stupid enough to sign Lowe then DR instantly goes down in my estimation. 

And this isn't based on where he'll have come from. It's based on his injury record. Hamstring issues, knee ligaments, ankle ligaments, and his groin is completely fucked. He's saw a surgeon more times than he's saw Wilder last season and he's still not fully fit. He failed a contract extension medical at the Sty which is why they packed him off. 

Just passing on first hand information from a very well known Wednesdayite who played in the Dusk Till Dawn poker night at the Genting Club last Saturday night.

Our boy, BN, was drawn on a table which included Lowe & Wes Fodderingham. Lowe said he'd already had one meeting, via Zoom, with DR & had another scheduled today (Tuesday).

Fodderingham said he's hoping to finalise a deal to West Ham as a back-up keeper!

TBF I have the same injury concerns as you but in situations like this it has to be DR's call!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CasbahOwl said:

Just passing on first hand information from a very well known Wednesdayite who played in the Dusk Till Dawn poker night at the Genting Club last Saturday night.

Our boy, BN, was drawn on a table which included Lowe & Wes Fodderingham. Lowe said he'd already had one meeting, via Zoom, with DR & had another scheduled today (Tuesday).

Fodderingham said he's hoping to finalise a deal to West Ham as a back-up keeper!

TBF I have the same injury concerns as you but in situations like this it has to be DR's call!

At least he can't get injured on a zoom call!

• Haha 1