Chris Powell

Chris Powell awarded MBE

6 Hours ago

Chris Powell has been bestowed one of the highest commendations in the land in the King’s Birthday Honours list for 2024.

The Owls coach becomes an MBE for his services to football through a career spanning almost four decades.

Powell is also a revered charity advocate - in particular for Prostate Cancer UK - together with his long-standing dedication to the likes of Show Racism the Red Card, Kick It Out and The Football Foundation.

The Lambeth product made a mammoth 667 senior appearances as a player for a raft of clubs and earned five caps with England on the international stage.

He served as PFA chairman during that time and embarked on a coaching career after hanging up his boots.

Powell enjoyed a stint as first team coach with Leicester before his maiden managerial role at Charlton, leading the Addicks to Championship promotion in his first full season.

He went on to lead Huddersfield and Southend and was assistant manager with Derby in between.

In 2019, Powell joined the England coaching staff under Gareth Southgate, a role he held for four years whilst incorporating the Head of Coaching position at Premier League Tottenham’s academy.

Powell linked up with Wednesday last year as part of Danny Rohl’s coaching team and was hugely instrumental as the Owls completed a remarkable Championship survival on the final day of the season.

Powell said: “I am delighted and humbled to receive the honour of an MBE for services to football.

“The game I love has given so much to me, but this recognition wouldn’t be possible without the support of so many people, including everyone at Links Primary School, Cranmer Middle School and Raynes Park High School.

“I would also like to thank the staff, players and supporters at the clubs I played for, managed and coached. I am proud to have represented each and every one of them on the pitch and on the touchline. I always thought that representing my country and The FA would be the pinnacle of my career, as both a player and a coach, but this honour is beyond my expectations.

“Additionally, I would like to thank The PFA for all their support, and for having the great honour of being their Chairman. I feel it is also appropriate to give mention to the charities I work with and represent, such as Prostate Cancer UK, Show Racism the Red Card, Kick It Out (Let’s Kick Racism out of Football) and The Football Foundation, all of whom do incredible work, and I’m proud to support.

“I would like to express my gratitude to my friends in the game and outside of football, and a special mention to my children, Morgan and Ché, for all their love and support, as well as my wife, Sophia and my dear mother, Elaine. Without their sacrifice, wisdom and knowledge, I wouldn’t have achieved half of what I have.

“Given that this honour is for services to football, I will save my final word for Sheffield Wednesday Football Club. Since joining as an assistant coach in October 2023, I cannot thank the club, the staff players and fans enough for their support. It has meant more than they will ever know, being able to continue my journey in football, when I wasn’t sure what the future held for me, and has given me professional purpose and a great deal of personal satisfaction.

“Thank you to everyone in my life, along my footballing journey, this award is for you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Fair play to him. he had a lot to turn around here after his antics on the bar after that cup game.

But he's only gone and done it. As per the YouTube with Big Sam it seems we helped him too, sounds like he was having some dark thoughts.  Fallen in love with the club and comes across a genuine nice bloke. Congrats Chris

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

CP speaks so well, intelligent, humble and motivational all in one. Glad we've got him, the negativity about him in the past almost feels a travesty.

I'm with you Bells, I will include Wednesday in my all leagues e/w accumulator this year for the first time!

• Like 2