Matchday pricing….

Well the new signings have to be paid for somehow. 

Not going to debate this really, it is what it is. If we do well folk will pay, if we are average just the season ticket holders will turn up.

The stick is to encourage season ticket sales, sadly it is simply not practical for a lot of the fan base to do that, whether finance or simply the midweek dates / changed dates that arise.

Once you get into the mindset of not going, these walk up prices ain't going to be changing your mind 

The majority of games will be C-F and if we have a Cat A then the difference is the price of a posh pint.

Those prices will be on par with most of the top end clubs in the division 

• Like 1

We'll see once we get a few games in what effect the TV deal has on attendances, especially with the timings.

He usually puts the price up on TV games, so will we see an A-D on TV games and a E-F on the others?

Crann is stirring again with hefty matchday prices headline then quoting the Cat A South price of £54 to watch Leeds. Looking at Leeds prices for last season they'll probably be the same sort of price range. 

Plymouth is a Cat D. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesdays-hefty-matchday-prices-revealed-for-202425-season-4695226

Posted (edited)

1867 group have suddenly popped out of the woodwork on Twitter/ X. It's dear yeah but not too different to last season. Funny how the people complaining about prices are often the ones complaining that we haven't signed 20 new players. 

Edited by tomcore
  • Like 1

It's one of those that creates division between season ticket holders and the rest. Having been both in recent years I get the respective arguments, but also how easily it can turn from going every week to 3 or 4 times a season instead. And you notice the cost much more I find.

More though these days it's the time it takes out my day, the toil and cost of the travel. And the overall risk is that the natural churn of season ticket holders gets disturbed so the leavers do not get replaced 

Pigs will be Cat A, yet we’ll sell every single ticket available.

So fuck ‘em! The part-timers found cash for Wembley tickets v Barnsley at a nano-seconds notice (and some will have paid more than the price of a season ticket for travel down, accommodation and beers/food), and they’ll find the cash for Pigs tickets this season.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

We have this every pre season, categories announced and people are moaning at the category A price, these will be for at most 2 games of season with majority of games at lower price categories just like last season. 

Owt like this and the 1867 group and it's clan come crawling out spouting on social media and it's favourite fans forum. 

• Like 1

Boooo, Chansiri out, crap manager, no new players, all the good players left, no investment in the ground and training facilities, oh wait.

As discussed on another thread, ticket prices need to be considered against average wages in an area/ region to understand how reasonable/ unreasonable it is. Whilst I have sympathy for those that can’t rub two buttons together, I also know there are plenty that go without on other things so they can go to the matches.

Chansiri can’t just chuck his money in. We have to make revenue to pay for what we bring in and our coaching team can’t be cheap.

No I’m not justifying the prices, it’s far too expensive. But what’s the alternative? As been shown before we don’t sell out at £20 a ticket so? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoylandOwl said:

Chansiri can’t just chuck his money in. We have to make revenue to pay for what we bring in and our coaching team can’t be cheap.

No I’m not justifying the prices, it’s far too expensive. But what’s the alternative? As been shown before we don’t sell out at £20 a ticket so? 

No, but yet we somehow manage to sell out when we get to Wembley at a zillion quid a ticket, with zero time to budget for tickets or for travel, accommodation, London beer prices etc.

• Like 3

If I'd have known about the details of the TV deal in January I would be PotG. I can't make most odd timed games and up till now a season ticket has still been cost effective.

Looking at it logically, you're only PotG if you're planning on going to <13 games per season, any more is starting to hit season ticket viability, which just so happens to be the around the amount of non televised games.

I can see higher than average attendance for those games, which will probably be lower bands anyway, and much lower gates on the TV games as if you're only going to 10 games, you may as well go to the ones you don't have easy TV access to.

Could see the gates varying much more than usual with a couple of sellouts, but also a couple of sub 20k games if you get Preston/Bristol type team on a Friday night or something.

20 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

If I'd have known about the details of the TV deal in January I would be PotG. I can't make most odd timed games and up till now a season ticket has still been cost effective.

Looking at it logically, you're only PotG if you're planning on going to <13 games per season, any more is starting to hit season ticket viability, which just so happens to be the around the amount of non televised games.

I can see higher than average attendance for those games, which will probably be lower bands anyway, and much lower gates on the TV games as if you're only going to 10 games, you may as well go to the ones you don't have easy TV access to.

Could see the gates varying much more than usual with a couple of sellouts, but also a couple of sub 20k games if you get Preston/Bristol type team on a Friday night or something.

Sold over 18k season tickets 

14 minutes ago, Reesh said:

The figures are never I guess officially released season on season, be interesting if that is up / down / similar

3 minutes ago, mkowl said:

The figures are never I guess officially released season on season, be interesting if that is up / down / similar

Slightly down. Doesn't the figure get included in the accounts?

8 hours ago, Bellsview said:

No, but yet we somehow manage to sell out when we get to Wembley at a zillion quid a ticket, with zero time to budget for tickets or for travel, accommodation, London beer prices etc.

I mean every club gets similar uplift. My father in laws team Wycombe get 8k whatever but 20k will rock up to the final.

Always interesting to debate, for years as a season ticket holder I always concluded similar.

Then I joined the part timer section and it's a different mindset 

2 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Slightly down. Doesn't the figure get included in the accounts?

Not seen it disclosed over recent years - commercially sensitive in many ways

It's a decent figure nonetheless.

There is probably a natural cap on numbers. Of course that is stadium capacity but also would we ever get over 20k irrespective of pricing. The point is you have to be truly dedicated and make the Wednesday games your main focus in life. Are there enough out there ? 45k will rock up to Wembley no problem, over the course of a season maybe you get 35k unique visitors to Hillsborough (ex away fans) but how many of those have the time / resource / inclination to go every week.

I get why Chansiri possibly struggles to empathise with that element, certainly their visits should not be subsidised

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

Even with that, actual bums on seats could be low.

I have to pick and choose my midweek and Sunday games as it is and have to rearrange things to compensate.

I live outside Sheffield so for a lot of these games I will just watch them on Sky as each game is a 4-5 hour commitment, which is OK on the odd occasion, but twice in a lot of weeks is going to take it's toll fast.

1 minute ago, Tewksbury said:

Even with that, actual bums on seats could be low.

I have to pick and choose my midweek and Sunday games as it is and have to rearrange things to compensate.

I live outside Sheffield so for a lot of these games I will just watch them on Sky as each game is a 4-5 hour commitment, which is OK on the odd occasion, but twice in a lot of weeks is going to take it's toll fast.

But will be announced as tickets sold

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

As evidenced by the fact that a phase 1 season ticket on the kop for an adult was £20 per game and it doesn't sell out...

Do you still save (at least) £5 per game with a membership?

Edited by Otto_Man

12 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

As evidenced by the fact that a phase 1 season ticket on the kop for an adult was £20 per game and it doesn't sell out...

Do you still save (at least) £5 per game with a membership?

yes you do and there are 4 games which are double discounted!

• Like 1

DC sees ST’s as the way forward, they don’t work for everyone (me included) I’m lucky enough to be able to afford POTG prices but I will perhaps think twice on some games particularly when Sky dicks around with the kick off times/days, what I do fear is that POTG fans now are potentially future ST holders, are we alienating future fans?

1 hour ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I honestly don't think that a lot of fans realise how much it must cost to maintain and run a football club - especially in the Championship.

1867 do. 

They have that lad that did an online football business and marketing degree to tell them how it all works and where we're going wrong. 

When he's not doing his day job taking Sky retentions calls, that is

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 80s Owl said:

DC sees ST’s as the way forward, they don’t work for everyone (me included) I’m lucky enough to be able to afford POTG prices but I will perhaps think twice on some games particularly when Sky dicks around with the kick off times/days, what I do fear is that POTG fans now are potentially future ST holders, are we alienating future fans?

i guess this is the point I am making. There is a general churn rate each season - for most clubs it is about 10% per season. Change of circumstances, change of location, just does not fit in with your life. Do we risk the 10% going not being replaced like for like ? 

The factors are cost, time and inclination 

I am fortunate like yourself that cost is not a factor really. It is for many

Its more these days the time, like Tewkesbury has said its effectively 8 - 9 hours out of a Saturday, the midweeks were a killer

And inclination, well I saw all the home games last season, but attended 2. I mean they may clamp down on the options here but basically 50% of the games are going to be on Sky. 

Absolutely nothing beats the buzz of being in the stadium but as I am now an old twat its less of a draw and the travel / parking angst diminishes that further 

18 minutes ago, mkowl said:

i guess this is the point I am making. There is a general churn rate each season - for most clubs it is about 10% per season. Change of circumstances, change of location, just does not fit in with your life. Do we risk the 10% going not being replaced like for like ? 

The factors are cost, time and inclination 

I am fortunate like yourself that cost is not a factor really. It is for many

Its more these days the time, like Tewkesbury has said its effectively 8 - 9 hours out of a Saturday, the midweeks were a killer

And inclination, well I saw all the home games last season, but attended 2. I mean they may clamp down on the options here but basically 50% of the games are going to be on Sky. 

Absolutely nothing beats the buzz of being in the stadium but as I am now an old twat its less of a draw and the travel / parking angst diminishes that further 

I can fully agree with this and your circumstances are similar to mine, I attended probably 10 home games last season, I'm glad you mentioned the parking issue as it seems to get worse season on season, I'm having to set off earlier and earlier just to get a reasonable spot and it can be off putting.

Posted (edited)

If you bought a phase 1 season ticket and whacked it on a DD or a interest free credit option over 12 months then you'd be paying roughly the equivalent of one Cat D ticket a month. 

But 1867 don't do this kind of logic and I've just been kicked off their Twitter for saying so. 

But if we're there or there abouts at Christmas then half season sales will go through the roof and if we're hovering in mid November then I'd be releasing them for sale then. 

Edited by Tylluan
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

If you bought a phase 1 season ticket and whacked it on a DD or a interest free credit option over 12 months then you'd be paying roughly the equivalent of one Cat D ticket a month. 

But 1867 don't do this kind of logic and I've just been kicked off their Twitter for saying so. 

But if we're there or there abouts at Christmas then half season sales will go through the roof and if we're hovering in mid November then I'd be releasing them for sale then. 

That's how I purchased my season ticket, I received same replies when it was first announced about season tickets going on sale, they were coming out with its just after Christmas and people haven't got the money, I kept telling them to pay by direct debit and first payment will be next month and you can select which day of month it is suitable for when you get paid. 

The 1867 gang and OT clan lead by the clown just don't want to know, they have got there agenda and are sticking to it whatever happens on pitch, most of them couldn't run a bath never mind a football club. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

The season ticket prices are fair and reasonable under Chansiri, all ways have been.

Chansiri does however equate fans that turn up at Wembley or the big home games as all potential season ticket holders. I think in part we are quite geographically spread as a fan base, large numbers leave Sheffield to study or work, keep the affinity but cannot readily attend all the time. And perhaps over the years the stadium capacity has always meant little danger of missing out on any game.

@mkowl

Agree with everything you've posted but the fans who've moved away and aren't regularly attending will only turn up for the big games. They're not going to be turning up for Swansea on a Tuesday at a Cat D price. 

And the far flung fans now have the option, along with everyone else, of paying Sky instead. 

So I'm all for pricing the season tickets fairly and all the supporters like me and you can take or leave the walk up tickets at our leisure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

Chansiri does however equate fans that turn up at Wembley or the big home games as all potential season ticket holders.

I'd say the opposite.

Chansiri has a pretty good idea of the numbers of potential season ticket holders versus how many will turn up for various games and prices tickets accordingly.

Conversely, it's parts of the fanbase and the protest groups who believe that these are all potential season ticket holders If only they were priced low enough.

Still think next season will be very different in season ticket sales for all teams in the league, mainly due to timings. I know a couple of people who have taken shift patterns to make sure they're off for games, mainly Tuesdays and Saturdays with the odd other day, they're going to really struggle with the newer fixtures.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

I'd say the opposite.

Chansiri has a pretty good idea of the numbers of potential season ticket holders versus how many will turn up for various games and prices tickets accordingly.

Conversely, it's parts of the fanbase and the protest groups who believe that these are all potential season ticket holders If only they were priced low enough.

Still think next season will be very different in season ticket sales for all teams in the league, mainly due to timings. I know a couple of people who have taken shift patterns to make sure they're off for games, mainly Tuesdays and Saturdays with the odd other day, they're going to really struggle with the newer fixtures.

In respect of the Chansiri part I am basing it on comments he has made in the past. But absolutely the Club will have the data about POTG turn ups etc. 

Of course the point has not been raised that the categories are as much looking at away followings and the pricing potential for those games.

But your latter point is spot on. I genuinely do not believe there is a massive population of prospective season ticket holders out there that would take up at lower prices 

6 minutes ago, mkowl said:

In respect of the Chansiri part I am basing it on comments he has made in the past. But absolutely the Club will have the data about POTG turn ups etc. 

Of course the point has not been raised that the categories are as much looking at away followings and the pricing potential for those games.

But your latter point is spot on. I genuinely do not believe there is a massive population of prospective season ticket holders out there that would take up at lower prices 

He's hardly likely to come out and say "I know we've got some fickle supporters in our fanbase and the matchday pricing allows us to milk them dry when they turn up for their once or twice a season visits" is he?

Leeds and the pigs will be Cat A and fair play to him for doing it

• Like 2

The elephant in the room that never gets mentioned is concessions.

I'd love to see a breakdown and what percentage of fans are actually paying full whack. People banging on about what it costs for an adult on the North, how many of the total PotG in an average week are adults on the North?

How many are under 25? Over 65? Ex forces? Disabled? I'd say it's a decent amount and our concession prices are pretty good.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

He's hardly likely to come out and say "I know we've got some fickle supporters in our fanbase and the matchday pricing allows us to milk them dry when they turn up for their once or twice a season visits" is he?

I said this on the other site when he had the forum.

What would happen if he came out and said "I know you're struggling, so I've decided to reward our most loyal supporters, however I lose a million a year on earlybird tickets so I'm going to fleece the away fans and casuals to subsidise your tickets.

You're welcome."

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

The elephant in the room that never gets mentioned is concessions.

I'd love to see a breakdown and what percentage of fans are actually paying full whack. People banging on about what it costs for an adult on the North, how many of the total PotG in an average week are adults on the North?

How many are under 25? Over 65? Ex forces? Disabled? I'd say it's a decent amount and our concession prices are pretty good.

Demblades have a serious problem with concessions.

I read somewhere a while ago that there's massive amounts of fiddling on their STs

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

Be fun if he did 😁

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

I'd say the opposite.

Absolute bollocks

17 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

I said this on the other site when he had the forum.

What would happen if he came out and said "I know you're struggling, so I've decided to reward our most loyal supporters, however I lose a million a year on earlybird tickets so I'm going to fleece the away fans and casuals to subsidise your tickets.

You're welcome."

Are you suggesting that the early bird ticket prices are generous? Apologies if I've misinterpreted.

I only mention that because I've seen a few people now saying how good value they are. I mean compared to our match day prices and subsequent ST prices, they are value, I guess. But in reality (whilst i consider them just about palatable) they are still amongst the most expensive in the league, and that's just phase one.

Other people suggesting that our ticket prices need to be high so we can make transfers / wage and be able to compete. I'm not sure there's anything to back that up historically. And don't really consider that's an acceptable excuse to fleece what's largely a consistently loyal fan base.

It may be argued that DC's tactics do maximise revenue. I personally don't consider that the be the sole driver and rationale though. Looking after the fan base, future generations and part time fans, is surely more important that maximising revenue for the odd season. And I doubt it necessarily even correlates. 

There's clearly a balance to be had and we don't have that balance. We shouldn't be consistently charged more than our competitors. Again this summer we had a real chance to capitalise on the feel good factor and sell loads of season tickets but our pricing structure prevented that. 

I just find it sad that folk are priced out these days from something they love and that loyal fans' passion, for those that do attend, is exploited by the owner. 

For balance there's been loads of positive steps this summer. Sadly tickets is an ongoing issue. 

• Like 1