Matchday pricing….

4 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Ha ha you've been quiet recently, now the first sign of an issue you pop up like a bad turd!

Afternoon Reesh, hope you are well. Nice to see you and Jim getting on recently.

Like i've said below, plenty of positive steps recently.

The initial comment here though was simply against a statement from Tewksbury that simply isn't correct, rather than discussing the actual ticket issue (which granted i've done further down)

17 hours ago, Andyben said:

Demblades have a serious problem with concessions.

I read somewhere a while ago that there's massive amounts of fiddling on their STs

Fella I know in his late forties has used a concession ticket for years.  Automated turnstiles aren't they at the lane ?  

9 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

Afternoon Reesh, hope you are well. Nice to see you and Jim getting on recently.

Like i've said below, plenty of positive steps recently.

The initial comment here though was simply against a statement from Tewksbury that simply isn't correct, rather than discussing the actual ticket issue (which granted i've done further down)

Me and Jim are good pals.

33 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

I just find it sad that folk are priced out these days from something they love and that loyal fans' passion, for those that do attend, is exploited by the owner. 

For balance there's been loads of positive steps this summer. Sadly tickets is an ongoing issue. 

I sympathise but the price will always be too high for some people,it depends on individual circumstances.
My biggest love is motorcycling and I am lucky to have five.One is a Harley Davidson and if i visit a dealership anywhere in the country I can purchase a T-shirt for around £40/50 and basically give them free advertising while I walk around.If I said they were exploiting my loyalty and asked for a discount they would think i was taking the piss.It’s called capitalism and everybody wants your money.They charge what they think people will pay.Why should someone subsidise someone else’s hobby,basically.I’m not saying it’s what I like,but that’s how it is.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Why didn't you get one on winter like, for example @Tylluandid, look how cheap the monthly DD works out.

A number of reasons; the main being my frustration with the owner. I've always said that if lessons are learnt and sensible steps taken that I'd return. Things finally more recently have seemingly been done better and for that reason I'd have bought one if prices were reasonable.

I suspect many others would be the same. There are various reasons why some would buy one in the summer - change in circumstances / simply now wanting too / enjoying games towards the end of the season and so getting the bug etc / kids and families deciding to take the plunge for their first ST. There's no justification for these people having to pay the absurd prices and in essence being turned away by the club because of the pricing structure. I'm sure we're losing income by doing this. Now I get and understand a lower price for people renewing, people buying early etc, but the level of prices for STs over the summer period are just absurd. 

9 minutes ago, Beaconowl said:

If he did he wouldnt have anything to complain about 

Well I would. I'd still have sympathy for fellow fans - just because I got an early bird ST wouldn't change my view on the ticket prices and structure

Just now, bazapeps said:

I've always said that if lessons are learnt and sensible steps taken that I'd return. Things finally more recently have seemingly been done better and for that reason I'd have bought one if prices were reasonable.

He hasn't changed at all.

He's doing exactly the same now as he's ever done, the difference is we had some luck with  the manager

The luck being he was released by the DFB, and became available earlier than expected but sadly later than DC wanted.

If you'd listened to us back then perhaps you'd have renewed in the first phase.

Sadly, your situation is entirely of your own doing so take it in the chin and move on 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

Well I would. I'd still have sympathy for fellow fans - just because I got an early bird ST wouldn't change my view on the ticket prices and structure

Would you accept that the discord created by your group in late 2023/early 2024 led to quite a number of fans not renewing at a time that they usually would have?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

A question I have asked on here and be interested on your view @bazapeps

How many prospective season ticket holders do you think are out there that are priced out ? I don't know the answer, it is conjecture 

But I am good at numbers. Reesh has suggested there are 18k renewals 

I am going to throw an average season ticket renewal of £450 - ultimately this will depend on age / concessions / phase / stand 

But that would throw out gross revenues of £8.1m. Nasty VAT person wants 1/6th of that so £1.35m ain't ours 

But if you want DC to lower the price - lets knock £100 off that average - it would take 5000 new season ticket holders plus to generate exactly the same revenue. 

Are there 5000 people poised and ready to go

6 minutes ago, mkowl said:

A question I have asked on here and be interested on your view @bazapeps

How many prospective season ticket holders do you think are out there that are priced out ? I don't know the answer, it is conjecture 

But I am good at numbers. Reesh has suggested there are 18k renewals 

I am going to throw an average season ticket renewal of £450 - ultimately this will depend on age / concessions / phase / stand 

But that would throw out gross revenues of £8.1m. Nasty VAT person wants 1/6th of that so £1.35m ain't ours 

But if you want DC to lower the price - lets knock £100 off that average - it would take 5000 new season ticket holders plus to generate exactly the same revenue. 

Are there 5000 people poised and ready to go

In terms of priced out numbers I honestly don't know. It seems we've sold around 19k STs. Is it a maximum 26k we can sell. For a club like ours, riding the crest of a wave, I honestly don't think another 6-7k season ticket holders isn't achievable. Football is more popular these days, across the board there's more demand. You only need to look at the crowds at so called smaller / lesser clubs and how they've grown over the years. 

Based on the early bird idea, I think KOP adult (and working up) that £425 is reasonable and then £480 ish from a set date onwards and throughout.

Those prices aren't 'cheap' still. Like i said before I can't be certain if the strategy does or doesn't maximise revenue. Even if it does I don't think as a club we should be exploiting fans to maximise revenue. Majority of other clubs don't do it this way. 

26 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Would you accept that the discord created by your group in late 2023/early 2024 led to quite a number of fans not renewing at a time that they usually would have?

Just to clarify I handed out a few leaflets, I didn't organise the group, whilst granted I agree with the majority of their aims and points.

I have no idea if people didn't renew because of that - surely they would have not renewed because of the position we were in and the way the club was being run, rather than because of the actions of a group. To suggest people were influenced almost against their own will to not renew is pathetic really. Many of the group themselves renewed and haven't told people not to renew. People need some personal responsibility. 

34 minutes ago, Andyben said:

He hasn't changed at all.

He's doing exactly the same now as he's ever done, the difference is we had some luck with  the manager

The luck being he was released by the DFB, and became available earlier than expected but sadly later than DC wanted.

If you'd listened to us back then perhaps you'd have renewed in the first phase.

Sadly, your situation is entirely of your own doing so take it in the chin and move on 

Ok well we can consider what's been done in the time being. Since then there's been no pathetic public statements and rants, no financial issues, staff haven't left, the manager has a new longer term contract, the manager has been supported with a wider coaching department and off the field set ups, work has been done to the training ground, new head of recruitment, clearly an active and pre-planned summer transfer strategy, early implementation of transfers, more young players with resale value. All this is pretty much in stark contrast to what we saw pre 2024 and in previous summers. You say he's done this before but this time had luck with managers - i'm pretty sure every manager we've had would have wanted / expected all these things; perhaps the luck we've now had is that the owner is finally actually listening and it's taken this manager to make him listen. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

Ok well we can consider what's been done in the time being. Since then there's been no pathetic public statements and rants, no financial issues, staff haven't left, the manager has a new longer term contract, the manager has been supported with a wider coaching department and off the field set ups, work has been done to the training ground, new head of recruitment, clearly an active and pre-planned summer transfer strategy, early implementation of transfers, more young players with resale value. All this is pretty much in stark contrast to what we saw pre 2024 and in previous summers. You say he's done this before but this time had luck with managers - i'm pretty sure every manager we've had would have wanted / expected all these things; perhaps the luck we've now had is that the owner is finally actually listening and it's taken this manager to make him listen. 

Fair points. However, I dont think we have had a manager of the quality of DR for many many years, the type that he could 100% trust and take their advice. Thats just my opinion.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

No financial issues, staff haven't left, the manager has a new longer term contract, the manager has been supported with a wider coaching department and off the field set ups, work has been done to the training ground, new head of recruitment, clearly an active and pre-planned summer transfer strategy, early implementation of transfers, more young players with resale value. 

All got to be paid for and DC is only allowed to put so much in for 'free' so, for P&S purposes the club has to show it's generating some of its own revenue in line with it's spending. 

Or would you rather the holding company generated more shares options to fund the club, thereby leaving us open to hostile takeover. 

How would you feel if you had cheaper season tickets but the shortfalls were bridged by Chansiri loaning the club money at 2%? 

Or we could just ask Macquarie if they would like another Sheffield club on their portfolio 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

In terms of priced out numbers I honestly don't know. It seems we've sold around 19k STs. Is it a maximum 26k we can sell. For a club like ours, riding the crest of a wave, I honestly don't think another 6-7k season ticket holders isn't achievable. Football is more popular these days, across the board there's more demand. You only need to look at the crowds at so called smaller / lesser clubs and how they've grown over the years. 

Based on the early bird idea, I think KOP adult (and working up) that £425 is reasonable and then £480 ish from a set date onwards and throughout.

Those prices aren't 'cheap' still. Like i said before I can't be certain if the strategy does or doesn't maximise revenue. Even if it does I don't think as a club we should be exploiting fans to maximise revenue. Majority of other clubs don't do it this way. 

Crest of a wave? We finished 5th bottom, granted that was higher than we thought after the first 10 games, but it was still 20th in a 24 team league.

Also, name a season (any season) where we have sold 26k season tickets. Even in the glory years in the early 90's we weren't anywhere near that number.

I can't abide this bleeding heart nonsense that large groups are being priced out because it's simply not true. We all receive a finite amount of money and we all have to prioritise how we spend it, some people will buy season tickets, others will buy fags or gin or coke or all 3.

If you can't afford £30 a month for a season ticket, you can't afford the potg prices no matter how low they are...

30 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

All these things have always existed, Carlos set most of it up in the early days. I don't recall many (if any) of the managers who have worked under DC complaining about not being supported by the chairman, even after they had left.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bazapeps said:

How much do you think the price of tickets should be?There will always be fans who can’t afford to pay,how does the club accommodate them?

Oh and just one last thing - a little while ago someone posted the 79/80 season ticket prices (when we were in the third division) and the cost was broadly the same (as a percentage of the average uk salary) as this seasons.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

Conversely, it's parts of the fanbase and the protest groups who believe that these are all potential season ticket holders If only they were priced low enough.

3 hours ago, bazapeps said:

Absolute bollocks

In terms of priced out numbers I honestly don't know. It seems we've sold around 19k STs. Is it a maximum 26k we can sell. For a club like ours, riding the crest of a wave, I honestly don't think another 6-7k season ticket holders isn't achievable. 

Make your mind up.

• Haha 3

I don't think as a club we should be exploiting fans to maximise revenue. Majority of other clubs don't do it this way. 

Our average season ticket price is the same as Bristol City's. We're cheaper than Boro and Norwich, who average at £721 and want a whopping £941 for their dearest seats, and we're within £50 of Luton and Sunderland. QPR also have top end prices higher than ours. 

For the likes of Cardiff, Hull, Blackburn, Swansea, who offer season tickets around the £400 mark you quoted, take a look at their financial structuring and how much debt they're in. Or just look at the pricing down the Lane

If you are worried about pricing of tickets now, just wait until we get to the premiership. Listening to the 1867 group the team will be playing in an empty stadium, because nobody will be able to afford the cost of going.

1 hour ago, Beaconowl said:

If you are worried about pricing of tickets now, just wait until we get to the premiership. Listening to the 1867 group the team will be playing in an empty stadium, because nobody will be able to afford the cost of going.

I'll be ok. I've still got my Premiership return ticket from Uncle Dave

• Haha 1

The good news is that you can pay for the increased match day prices by doing your shopping at the coming soon Aldi across the road. Sounds like they have been granted planning permission. 

Even better news for the parking gestapo.

16 hours ago, Tewksbury said:

Make your mind up.

You do realise it's fine to have a discussion and a difference of opinion, without being a total dick.

You know full well what my point was. Why you feel a need to try and twist things and make out that people either are thinking or saying things that they're not, I really don't understand.

Do I think that there's a decent pool of untapped potential season ticket holders out there under the right circumstances? Yes of course

Do I believe that all people "are all potential season ticket holders if only they were priced low enough"? No of course I don't. Many fans have work / commitments / simply don't want to go to 23 games

It's not difficult to follow. But you knew that anyway

17 hours ago, Tylluan said:

All got to be paid for and DC is only allowed to put so much in for 'free' so, for P&S purposes the club has to show it's generating some of its own revenue in line with it's spending. 

Or would you rather the holding company generated more shares options to fund the club, thereby leaving us open to hostile takeover. 

How would you feel if you had cheaper season tickets but the shortfalls were bridged by Chansiri loaning the club money at 2%? 

Or we could just ask Macquarie if they would like another Sheffield club on their portfolio 

Are you seriously trying to suggest that our ticket prices are so high to avoid FFP sanctions? Come one. Sorry but even if that was true, ripping off fans surely isn't the right way to go about that. It's up to the owner to manage income and expenses and budget accordingly. FFP is there for all clubs and not all clubs feel a need to rip fans off. Granted DC will always make up some of the shortfall, like the majority of the clubs do. If he isn't happy doing that he's free to sell up and move on, he's not forced too. 

Like i've said before; if we knew DC had his hands tied and was doing literally everything possible to improve revenue and save costs, then STs prices would be more acceptance. But historically we know that's not the case. He could even word the ticket release statements to indicate that, explain that he sympathises with fans, that's he's doing everything possible and wants everyone to be in it together etc etc. That would make it far more pallatable. Instead it's a like it or lump it approach and more evidence he couldn't give a toss about the average SWFC fan. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bazapeps said:

Are you seriously trying to suggest that our ticket prices are so high to avoid FFP sanctions? Come one. Sorry but even if that was true, ripping off fans surely isn't the right way to go about that. It's up to the owner to manage income and expenses and budget accordingly. FFP is there for all clubs and not all clubs feel a need to rip fans off. Granted DC will always make up some of the shortfall, like the majority of the clubs do. If he isn't happy doing that he's free to sell up and move on, he's not forced too. 

Like i've said before; if we knew DC had his hands tied and was doing literally everything possible to improve revenue and save costs, then STs prices would be more acceptance. But historically we know that's not the case. He could even word the ticket release statements to indicate that, explain that he sympathises with fans, that's he's doing everything possible and wants everyone to be in it together etc etc. That would make it far more pallatable. Instead it's a like it or lump it approach and more evidence he couldn't give a toss about the average SWFC fan. 

There's absolutely zero factual basis for any of the antiDC tropes you've posted here.

Give it up.

You're making yourswlf look particularly stupid

Or feel free to counter my position with some actual real life data and financial information 

17 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Crest of a wave? We finished 5th bottom, granted that was higher than we thought after the first 10 games, but it was still 20th in a 24 team league.

Also, name a season (any season) where we have sold 26k season tickets. Even in the glory years in the early 90's we weren't anywhere near that number.

I can't abide this bleeding heart nonsense that large groups are being priced out because it's simply not true. We all receive a finite amount of money and we all have to prioritise how we spend it, some people will buy season tickets, others will buy fags or gin or coke or all 3.

If you can't afford £30 a month for a season ticket, you can't afford the potg prices no matter how low they are...

All these things have always existed, Carlos set most of it up in the early days. I don't recall many (if any) of the managers who have worked under DC complaining about not being supported by the chairman, even after they had left.

Absolute the crest of a wave. It's doesn't take much to get owls fans excited. There's some serious positivity levels this summer. Surely that's an indicator that there's the potential for new and returning season ticket holders. 

As has been previously said multiple times, I don't know why attendances from the 90s are being discussed. Football and attendances have totally changed now. Football has boomed hugely. Didn't we have 20k season ticket holders last season. An additional 6k doesn't sound too much of a reach to me. Just look at the increased attendances of other clubs in recent years. We absolutely have the potential.

Re managers being backed; we'll have to agree to disagree. It's been in differing areas and degrees over time. All the other things I mentioned re the last 6 months still seem reasonable. 

5 minutes ago, Andyben said:

There's absolutely zero factual basis for any of the antiDC tropes you've posted here.

Give it up.

You're making yourswlf look particularly stupid

Or feel free to counter my position with some actual real life data and financial information 

Counter your position of the pie in the sky suggestion that our ticket prices are so high to avoid FFP restrictions? Have you got all the real life data and financial information to suggest that's the case? Do you have the information to show that we're maximising revenue and saving money elsewhere as we should be? Do you have real life data to show that at lower prices over the summer and / or reasonable MD prices, that we wouldn't sell more tickets? Plus the extra merchandise, retail etc. Do your seriously think the burden should be on the fan base to protect the club from FFP restrictions? 

Re my previous comments, I genuinely don't know how anyone can't agree with them. 

19 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

You do realise it's fine to have a discussion and a difference of opinion, without being a total dick.

You know full well what my point was. Why you feel a need to try and twist things and make out that people either are thinking or saying things that they're not, I really don't understand.

Do I think that there's a decent pool of untapped potential season ticket holders out there under the right circumstances? Yes of course

Do I believe that all people "are all potential season ticket holders if only they were priced low enough"? No of course I don't. Many fans have work / commitments / simply don't want to go to 23 games

It's not difficult to follow. But you knew that anyway

You started it with your eloquent 'bollocks' argument.

The fact is, you admittedly believe that there is the potential to sell out the allocation of season tickets if priced low enough, which is the point I was making.

The wording was taken directly from the post I replied to originally. 

You think the potential is there, I don't. 

It's not difficult to follow. But you knew that anyway.

8 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

You started it with your eloquent 'bollocks' argument.

The fact is, you admittedly believe that there is the potential to sell out the allocation of season tickets if priced low enough, which is the point I was making.

The wording was taken directly from the post I replied to originally. 

You think the potential is there, I don't. 

It's not difficult to follow. But you knew that anyway.

2 totally different points. I clearly don't think everyone is a potential season ticket holder, which is the bollocks you were originally stating as a means to try and bash people with, even though you know it wasn't correct.

Yes I think that we have the potential to sell out of season tickets. You don't. Both of those views are perfectly fine to have. 

Counter your position of the pie in the sky suggestion that our ticket prices are so high to avoid FFP restrictions?

Show me where I said that and I'll buy you a season ticket 

7 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Show me where I said that and I'll buy you a season ticket 

My bad it was Tylluan, not yourself. When you replied to my response wrongly assumed it must have the same person originally. 

44 minutes ago, POowl said:

My god there's some reyt selfish,  blinkered knóbs on here.

Great 1st post from a 2 hour old account.

I'm not sure which side of the argument you're referring to.

2 hours ago, bazapeps said:

Absolute the crest of a wave. It's doesn't take much to get owls fans excited. There's some serious positivity levels this summer. Surely that's an indicator that there's the potential for new and returning season ticket holders. 

As has been previously said multiple times, I don't know why attendances from the 90s are being discussed. Football and attendances have totally changed now. Football has boomed hugely. Didn't we have 20k season ticket holders last season. An additional 6k doesn't sound too much of a reach to me. Just look at the increased attendances of other clubs in recent years. We absolutely have the potential.

Re managers being backed; we'll have to agree to disagree. It's been in differing areas and degrees over time. All the other things I mentioned re the last 6 months still seem reasonable. 

Our average attendance last season was 27k and that figure includes away fans. So adding an extra 6k seems like cloud cuckoo land to be honest.

And I referenced the early 90s as that's the last time we had a successful team, playing football that was exciting to watch.

As for managers not being backed... we'll have to agree to disagree, but given we got a points deduction for overspending (and unless you think it all went on coke and hookers). I'd suggest managers were probably backed a little too well...

• Like 2

On 08/07/2024 at 18:33, Billysboy said:

Having said that I bought mine when we were nailed on to go down so fuck potd😉

On 08/07/2024 at 20:07, Bellsview said:

Pigs will be Cat A, yet we’ll sell every single ticket available.

So fuck ‘em! The part-timers found cash for Wembley tickets v Barnsley at a nano-seconds notice (and some will have paid more than the price of a season ticket for travel down, accommodation and beers/food), and they’ll find the cash for Pigs tickets this season.

22 hours ago, fOWLmouth said:

I sympathise but the price will always be too high for some people,it depends on individual circumstances.
My biggest love is motorcycling and I am lucky to have five.One is a Harley Davidson and if i visit a dealership anywhere in the country I can purchase a T-shirt for around £40/50 and basically give them free advertising while I walk around.If I said they were exploiting my loyalty and asked for a discount they would think i was taking the piss.It’s called capitalism and everybody wants your money.They charge what they think people will pay.Why should someone subsidise someone else’s hobby,basically.I’m not saying it’s what I like,but that’s how it is.

22 hours ago, Andyben said:

Why didn't you get one on winter like, for example @Tylluandid, look how cheap the monthly DD works out.

This obviously. But you knew that anyways.

Why is it selfish to point out he'd have saved a fortune buying earlier in the sale phase and spreading it over a monthly interest free payment plan. 

I'd have thought it was quite the opposite 

8 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Well? @bazapeps

The comparisons to other clubs? I'd looked at them before. But after your post, had a look again at the first one you mentioned (Bristol City), saw they are lower than us, as I thought and so thought what is the point in even responding again. Agree Middlesbrough prices are high this season; though recall the owner did take some feedback onboard and make some reductions to certain areas.