World Cup 2026

8 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Spain will win the next World Cup 

& potentially the Euros after that.

Subject to the draw then Spain v Argentina in the final. Place your bets now 

9 hours ago, Andyben said:

So as disappointing as that was, there's a core there that gives us such hope for the World Cup.

Unlucky lads.

We go again

We'll need new versions of  Kyle Walker & John Stones (and possibly Luke Shaw) two world class strikers, and a Goalkeeper.

But more importantly we need a tier 1 club manager to make the vast amounts of young talent work.

Ancelottti or Mourinho if we're going short term, McKenna, Michael Carrick, Will Still if we're building for a generation 

24 minutes ago, Andyben said:

We'll need new versions of  Kyle Walker & John Stones (and possibly Luke Shaw) two world class strikers, and a Goalkeeper.

But more importantly we need a tier 1 club manager to make the vast amounts of young talent work.

Ancelottti or Mourinho if we're going short term, McKenna, Michael Carrick, Will Still if we're building for a generation 

Wouldn't the likes of Carrick be Southgate #2 though 

To me there isn't an obvious candidate out there and the suits at the FA will probably stick with a kind 

The FA won't want anyone rocking their boat so that's Mourinho and Ancelotti out. Also means Howe and Potter have a chance. 

It's not the England manager you have to think about. It's the back room staff. Southgate is very good 'front of house' but his tactical and game management prowess is crap. 

You don't need a tactical genius out front but what you do need is an astute set of coaches behind the man. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

The FA won't want anyone rocking their boat so that's Mourinho and Ancelotti out. Also means Howe and Potter have a chance. 

It's not the England manager you have to think about. It's the back room staff. Southgate is very good 'front of house' but his tactical and game management prowess is crap. 

You don't need a tactical genius out front but what you do need is an astute set of coaches behind the man. 

What football actually needs is less analytics and data - Bielsa is spot on that its been ruined by coaches 

6 minutes ago, mkowl said:

What football actually needs is less analytics and data - Bielsa is spot on that its been ruined by coaches 

Bollocks.

I said it before but it looked like Munoz was in charge in the early games. 

Absolutely no coaching.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mkowl said:

Subject to the draw then Spain v Argentina in the final. Place your bets now 

Probably best 2 teams on planet right now with Sheffield Wednesday a close third. WAWAW 😁

2 hours ago, Andyben said:

Bollocks.

I said it before but it looked like Munoz was in charge in the early games. 

Absolutely no coaching.

What Bielsa is saying is that the over analytical approach, the bollocks speak around XG, the press, the low block. The more data is poured over and used the more football becomes the stale, predictable bore fest at times 

So there is a difference between no coaching - agreed we looked total shite - to over coaching that cancels each other out and bores the fuck out of everyone 

We have some holes to fill, but not urgently.

Reece James, if he can get fit is the natural right back option in a four. We’ll get another World Cup out of Stones, Guehi is an outstanding defender, and we will have Branthwaite who looks a player. If Shaw stays fit, we are ok at left back but we have no-one beyond that.

We are stacked in midfield for 8 years. Both centrally and wide. If they can turn careers around, we can add Rashford and Sancho to it.

I am not worried about Harry Kane. It is 100% clear that he was injured throughout this tournament. Toney will get a decent move this summer, Watkins is a good option.

What we do need is a new coach. When Southgate took over, he had a squad that was built on defensive strength but not much flair and to give him credit, we are well drilled and hard to play against. We are now the opposite, so we need a coach who will get the attackers clicking. People say that we have a conundrum with all that we have, I disagree. We can’t accommodate them all but they all offer something a little and you can set up different ways. You don’t have to pick Foden and Bellingham every game, you can start Palmer and Gordon. You can play different systems.

As for who? Not sure. Jose would struggle with the type of player we have. I don’t mind Eddie Howe and he’s an attack minded coach. But, if I was in charge of the FA, I’d go and get Klopp tomorrow. He’s exactly what we need, and the way he plays suits our players to a tee.

41 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I think the last 4 weeks of pretty dull football gives you the answer 

36 minutes ago, mkowl said:

What Bielsa is saying is that the over analytical approach, the bollocks speak around XG, the press, the low block. The more data is poured over and used the more football becomes the stale, predictable bore fest at times 

So there is a difference between no coaching - agreed we looked total shite - to over coaching that cancels each other out and bores the fuck out of everyone 

I agree that over coaching has a detrimental effect. I've seen u12s coached to death. 

But England's month of boring football is not down to analytics, it's down to how the coach used it. 

I've done stints as an opposition analyst for a L1 club. Sometimes my analysis was used in whole, sometimes enhanced on or only part used. Didn't matter to me as I still got paid. 

Coaches were using low blocks long before the upsurge of analysis. Arsenal's offside was based on it. XG was how managers used to buy forward players. They just sent scouts to make reports of how players interacted within games. 

5 hours ago, Tylluan said:

I have to agree with you, Ty. Southgate didnt come up with those tactics on his own, he had a team of advisors behind him. The whole set up needs changing