Southgate gone

Are they targeting Pep at the end of his City Contract with mention of an interim ?

"The process for appointing Gareth’s successor is now under way and we aim to have our new manager confirmed as soon as possible. Our UEFA Nations League campaign starts in September, and we have an interim solution in place if it is needed."

Mark Bullingham
FA Chief Executive

Thank you Gareth.  You may have frustrated us at times but at least you've shown dignity throughout and given us some highs as well as the lows when we'd become quite used to the permanent lows.

Good luck for the future. 

• Like 4

I think it started to show he had not managed on the day to day club level for well over a decade 

Tactics move on, as do training techniques etc. The time you have with players is limited, often disrupted by injuries anyway and I would say far too many non challenging games in the qualifiers. I do get being an international manager is very different but you are not honing skills as much as you should 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alan Finney said:

1) Guardiola.

2) Tuchel.

3) Pochettino.

But we'll finish up with Potter, Howe or Carsley who'll quickly turn into a Southgate clone. 

I’d also be happy with Klopp (begrudgingly) and have seen others suggest Bielsa, there’s no way the FA would - but he’d be great. 

• Like 1

Interim will be Carsley, and if he does well, which unless he absolutely fucks up with the players he has at his disposal, I reckon he’ll keep the job. 

Just seen that Karveh bloke who talks absolute shite while stating the obvious the rest of the time, on SSN, saying we’ve hit our limit as a group and no one else could get as much out of the squad. 

Southgate could have achieved more, no doubt, arguably should have too. But I can’t say he hasn’t reinvigorated the feeling around the team, when he took over it was an abject mess.  Thanks Gareth, but I do think the time is right for change

• Like 3

Its not just one person though, it is the quality of the team around him too. DR is a great example of that IMO.

Whoever does come in I hope they inject some energy and pace into the style of play, without being reckless. Look how good we were when we went a goal behind and had to get out of the comfort zone

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Just seen that Karveh bloke who talks absolute shite while stating the obvious the rest of the time, on SSN, saying we’ve hit our limit as a group and no one else could get as much out of the squad. 

I saw that. The guy is a moron. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

Interim will be Carsley, and if he does well, which unless he absolutely fucks up with the players he has at his disposal, I reckon he’ll keep the job. 

Have you seen England's next opponents?

Ireland, Finland, Greece.

Even Alan Irvine could get decent results with that squad against those opponents. 

I'm drawing the line at Xisco though. 

30 minutes ago, Andyben said:

That.

Or because there's such a massive difference between men's and women's football as to make them almost different games

Except I've just watched them and am now stressed out to feck. "Only" needed a draw away at 'Land of the Giants' Sweden to qualify directly to Euros and got it but were bloody awful for the last hour and really put us through it. Lots in common with Gareth's men this Summer!  

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Have you seen England's next opponents?

Ireland, Finland, Greece.

Even Alan Irvine could get decent results with that squad against those opponents. 

I'm drawing the line at Xisco though. 

Welll…..

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Skamp said:

Give Wiegman a go.

That'll shake the tree a bit.

2 hours ago, Andyben said:

Because there's such a massive difference between men's and women's football as to make them almost different games

As Ab has said and having coached across both spheres, they are entirely different games.  So to have a head coach coming solely from the women's game into becoming a men's team head coach would be a Ted Lasso moment. 

But I would have advocated having Wiegman (and Hayes before she joined the US) coming in to do pre tournament training sessions. Wiegman has psychological success experience of winning tournaments with two different countries and Hayes has a tactical winning mentality that is through the roof. She's also a beast on the training ground in her demand for perfection. 

And if Wiegman hadn't had her own games to prepare for I'd have put her in the tournament coaching party as an advisor to Southgate, whether he liked it or not

Edited by Tylluan

Of course they should ask Pep, he’ll say no, but he might give some good advice to where we should be looking. I doubt he’s that money motivated, but a one year deal with a £100m bonus for winning the World Cup might get his attention at least. 

5 hours ago, Tylluan said:

As Ab has said and having coached across both spheres, they are entirely different games.  So to have a head coach coming solely from the women's game into becoming a men's team head coach would be a Ted Lasso moment. 

But I would have advocated having Wiegman (and Hayes before she joined the US) coming in to do pre tournament training sessions. Wiegman has psychological success experience of winning tournaments with two different countries and Hayes has a tactical winning mentality that is through the roof. She's also a beast on the training ground in her demand for perfection. 

And if Wiegman hadn't had her own games to prepare for I'd have put her in the tournament coaching party as an advisor to Southgate, whether he liked it or not

Careful!!!

She'll probably find this post insulting. 

9 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Except I've just watched them and am now stressed out to feck. "Only" needed a draw away at 'Land of the Giants' Sweden to qualify directly to Euros and got it but were bloody awful for the last hour and really put us through it. Lots in common with Gareth's men this Summer!  

Interesting you get so invested as I am sure half of us on here had zero inclination to watch it, had a brief moment of interest when they became Euro champions but as fleeting as will be case if GB win an Olympic rowing gold.

I am not criticising by the way, I just think I peak out on Wednesday and England emotional investment wise that I have zero capacity for anything else sporting. The cricket team maybe but give me an hour I am OK, but 31 years later still not sure I am over the cup final replay defeat

• Like 1

The thing is, they really can take their time with this appointment.  As previously mentioned, the next six games are Nations League division Two fixtures against teams who didn’t qualify for the Euros.  The first two World Cup qualifiers are in March, with the next ones in June.  The draw and fixture list will be decided in December.  So if the March games are San Marino and Cyprus or whatever, literally the next important and difficult fixture won’t be until after the end of the next club season.  Waiting for a bloke who’s contracted until the end of next season is a realistic possibility.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Skamp said:

Give Wiegman a go.

That'll shake the tree a bit.

Is that serious?  If they’re going for an FA insider type with experience of coaching teams in tournament play, they will just go for Carsley.  He won the UEFA under-21s last year.  With Cole Palmer and Anthony Gordon in his starting line up.

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

C'mon, JB, tell us the story behind your Dinner Lady angst. You can tell us, we won't tell anyone!        👀               😇

She always strikes me as very knowledgeable, but is cursed with the voice of a female Martin Keown so I find it hard to pay attention. 

9 minutes ago, Gamblor said:

She always strikes me as very knowledgeable, but is cursed with the voice of a female Martin Keown so I find it hard to pay attention. 

She's also a real snidey ****

• Haha 1

I reckon the FA will go with either Lampard or Gerrard. I've absolutely nothing factual to back that up with, but in the run up to the final a lot was made of the number of international matches Southgate had been involved in 'as both a manager and a player'. Shearer said it about 30 times and just got a weird feeling they might go in that ex-player direction.

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

I reckon the FA will go with either Lampard or Gerrard. I've absolutely nothing factual to back that up with, but in the run up to the final a lot was made of the number of international matches Southgate had been involved in 'as both a manager and a player'. Shearer said it about 30 times and just got a weird feeling they might go in that ex-player direction.

Would Shearer himself be interested in taking the job?

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

When they appoint somebody let's see how many of those boxes they tick. 

A lot will fall down on No4. 

Out of interest Ty, and I haven't read the list, how many could you satisfy?

11 hours ago, Gamblor said:

Journalist contacts bookmaker, asks for price on Moore, places £20 bet then writes article. 

Surprised the author didn't make a reference to on going crime in S6 like he tends to.