Twas the night before Christmas…

So, it’s the Wednesdays football season Christmas Eve.

Given the (on paper) stellar work that DC and Rohl have done with improving the squad (and with more to come too), there is a feel good factor around the place. I think the Wednesday media team have done a decent job of feeding that feel good nature too. I also think that there has been some tempering of expectations too, which I think is smart too. I don’t know of many Wednesday fans getting carried away, although everyone expects us to continue to progression under Rohl and his staff.

So, what do I want? The work from last season to continue. For us match the same style but with the better players we have brought in, for us to threaten the expected better sides, and for us to be pleasant on the eye. But above all else, keep the feel good factor up all season.

What do I expect? A top half finish, 6 points off the pigs, and for some of our players to become stars and light the league up. But, for us to keep momentum and building. If we keep the momentum and feel good factor going, we will take some stopping. Maybe not this season, but certainly next.

Were All Wednesday Aren’t We?

UTO.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Given the (on paper) stellar work that DC and Rohl have done with improving the squad (and with more to come too), there is a feel good factor around the place. I think the Wednesday media team have done a decent job of feeding that feel good nature too. I also think that there has been some tempering of expectations too, which I think is smart too. I don’t know of many Wednesday fans getting carried away, although everyone expects us to continue to progression under Rohl and his staff.

So, what do I want? The work from last season to continue. For us match the same style but with the better players we have brought in, for us to threaten the expected better sides, and for us to be pleasant on the eye. But above all else, keep the feel good factor up all season.

What do I expect? A top half finish, 6 points off the pigs, and for some of our players to become stars and light the league up. But, for us to keep momentum and building. If we keep the momentum and feel good factor going, we will take some stopping. Maybe not this season, but certainly next.

UTO.

Yes. Yes, we are.   😎

Decent post KM

Progression yes, what that looks like is up for debate as to who is talking and their opinions.

Personally, I'd say this.

Our club has teetered from a look at promotion under Carlos, lighting almost all our fires other than Kev, but even he has to submit to the fact we were very decent, play off final, small margins, good day out and all that, etc etc and so forth.

Bottom line...

We subsequently went down to L1, (off the top of my head we are the only ex premier league team that's done that3 times) a shit stat.

October 23, 3 pts and written off and rightly so, but look what's happened since, I think DR had us 7th in results from his appointment, or maybe a couple of games in.

I look at it this way...

DR is going places..hopefully with us for a bit.

What the coaching team managed to instill into a rock bottom team was remarkable.

They achieved survival against all odds.

That coaching team won't be wanting mid table, yes it's all an unknown early doors.

I fully expect us to be the surprise package in the championship this season and would expect they want top 6 minimum..

Why not...

Top 2 even..

I believe in this team more than I have since the 90s

UTO

Edited by Lee
Added
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Lee said:

Decent post KM

Progression yes, what that looks like is up for debate as to who is talking and their opinions.

Personally, I'd say this.

Our club has teetered from a look at promotion under Carlos, lighting almost all our fires other than Kev, but even he has to submit to the fact we were very decent, play off final, small margins, good day out and all that, etc etc and so forth.

Bottom line...

We subsequently went down to L1, (off the top of my head we are the only ex premier league team that's done that3 times) a shit stat.

October 23, 3 pts and written off and rightly so, but look what's happened since, I think DR had us 7th in results from his appointment, or maybe a couple of games in.

I look at it this way...

DR is going places..hopefully with us for a bit.

What the coaching team managed to instill into a rock bottom team was remarkable.

They achieved survival against all odds.

That coaching team won't be wanting mid table, yes it's all an unknown early doors.

I fully expect us to be the surprise package in the championship this season and would expect they want top 6 minimum..

Why not...

Top 2 even..

I believe in this team more than I have since the 90s

UTO

Just to correct one part, I did infamously suggest Carlos would not last 2 months - that he would have been more Xisco than Rohl.

But I was always fair and reasonable in how that squad developed, the football that was played and the achievement of reaching the final. That we didn't perform in.

My annoyance was that pre season the transfer policy was all wrong. Not only the type of player, but the recruitment of older expensive players was basically the catalyst for all the FFP nonsense that followed. Was Carlos responsible for that, who knows, he certainly was for the pragmatic, dull football that followed. The game that totally turned me was Brighton away that season, a game that should have been won, that could have exerted pressure on the autos, coupled with the dire games v Huddersfield.

Yes it was positive but left me with a sense of what could have been. The failure had long term consequences off the pitch and certainly on it. 

Summer 2024 does offer a degree of positive change, I mean the Wednesday way is often that optimism is rapidly blunted, that is not being negative just the accumulation of decades of evidence

9 hours ago, KrolMong said:

UTO.

I always say the biggest risk is Wednesday fans getting ahead of themselves, so when we finish 10th - 12th as is my prediction they perceive under achievement 

The end of season run was excellent, but was stoked by fear. It is not a portent for now saying that is play off form. The squad has improved, but looks undercooked still in central midfield. And my view is that it's strength in that area that is key to upward success.

I hope it's a consolidation season, it should be but the Championship is brutal. We play well and we could touch the play offs, play even marginally under par you could be looking over your shoulder 2 games to go. 

13 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Just to correct one part, I did infamously suggest Carlos would not last 2 months - that he would have been more Xisco than Rohl.

But I was always fair and reasonable in how that squad developed, the football that was played and the achievement of reaching the final. That we didn't perform in.

My annoyance was that pre season the transfer policy was all wrong. Not only the type of player, but the recruitment of older expensive players was basically the catalyst for all the FFP nonsense that followed. Was Carlos responsible for that, who knows, he certainly was for the pragmatic, dull football that followed. The game that totally turned me was Brighton away that season, a game that should have been won, that could have exerted pressure on the autos, coupled with the dire games v Huddersfield.

Yes it was positive but left me with a sense of what could have been. The failure had long term consequences off the pitch and certainly on it. 

Summer 2024 does offer a degree of positive change, I mean the Wednesday way is often that optimism is rapidly blunted, that is not being negative just the accumulation of decades of evidence

Just fucking drop it now eh.

• Haha 1

Mixed emotions for me (and I suspect a number of others) today. 

On the football front I am as hopeful and enthusiastic going into this season as for any in the past 25 years. I think we’re in a strong position both on and off the field and with a couple of additions before the window closes, we should be in the mix at the top end of the table. We’re likely to see some of the most exciting football for years, have a manager and coaching team to be proud of and are a club with lots to be hopeful about. 

On a more somber note I lost my brother at the end of May. We have been going to Hillsborough together for 40 years, indeed we shared most of our lives together so I am missing him from many day to day aspects of living. We had long since renewed our season tickets, so there will be an empty seat next to me when I return to the kop. In the longer term our friend’s son will join us. He’d bought his first season ticket on the row in front, so it will be nice to have him sit alongside us and keep the three seats together. 

No, you can’t borrow my brother’s ticket for the Utd game. 

• Like 10

Thrilled with a top 10! Am expecting top half finish this season - at times maybe even pushing for playoffs.

My only concern at the moment is Bazza and what the full season holds for him and us regards over reliance on his creativity. 

4pm can’t come soon enough! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Just fucking drop it now eh.

I think that was called a right to reply - I didn't raise the subject.

I mean you all now accept I was right so my job is done anyway 

Cannot wait for 4pm! Not felt this excited since Carlos, as long as progress on the pitch I will be happy this season. I think mid table is likely but there is an outside chance we do an Ipswich. I expect the next 2 weeks will be key in terms of prem loans balanced with a couple of outgoings. I am fully behind Rohl so lets have it!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EBRA said:

Thrilled with a top 10! Am expecting top half finish this season - at times maybe even pushing for playoffs.

My only concern at the moment is Bazza and what the full season holds for him and us regards over reliance on his creativity. 

4pm can’t come soon enough! 

Hate to say our midfield is not a patch on that 3 miles away. If the engine room is not working then it creates issues at both ends the pitch. 

The best and most successful Wednesday sides in my lifetime had a top central midfield. Not currently the case 

5 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Hate to say our midfield is not a patch on that 3 miles away. If the engine room is not working then it creates issues at both ends the pitch. 

The best and most successful Wednesday sides in my lifetime had a top central midfield. Not currently the case 

That's what spending 30m can get you.....

Ps it's the opening day so even a miserable **** like you can be slightly optimistic 

Edited by Reesh
  • Haha 1

I think far too many people are over optimistic. It's going to take time for the players to gel, playing a different way, overseas players to settle in etc blah yada.

I seem to remember one of, or the first win under Rooney for Brum was against us methinks. It's not so clear cut as people think, look at yesterdays Leeds and Norwich results.

Hoping for a win and a good showing. My prediction  Owls 1  Plimuf 0.

1 hour ago, Supercockle said:

On the football front I am as hopeful and enthusiastic going into this season as for any in the past 25 years. I think we’re in a strong position both on and off the field and with a couple of additions before the window closes, we should be in the mix at the top end of the table. We’re likely to see some of the most exciting football for years, have a manager and coaching team to be proud of and are a club with lots to be hopeful about. 

On a more somber note I lost my brother at the end of May. We have been going to Hillsborough together for 40 years, indeed we shared most of our lives together so I am missing him from many day to day aspects of living. We had long since renewed our season tickets, so there will be an empty seat next to me when I return to the kop. In the longer term our friend’s son will join us. He’d bought his first season ticket on the row in front, so it will be nice to have him sit alongside us and keep the three seats together. 

You’ll be there in his honour mate, and he probably wouldn’t want it any other way. 
You’re always welcome to come and say hello to us down in the shit seats at the front too. 

• Like 1

I’m cautiously optimistic for this season; yes there are a few holes that need plugging. But a LOT of the other holes we did have appear to have been plugged. 

Top half would be huge progress IMO, playoffs would be immense, and any sort of promotion would be almost unthinkable/unprobable but not impossible. 

I’m giddy like a child at Christmas today….. I hope I never lose that feeling 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supercockle said:

Sorry for your loss pal.

• Like 2

The most important thing today is the performance. I want to see us play like a side who belongs in the top half (preferably higher still) and if we do that consistently, results will take care of themselves.

That said, I think we’ll win this one comfortably 3-0. 

5 minutes ago, Gamblor said:

The most important thing today is the performance. I want to see us play like a side who belongs in the top half (preferably higher still) and if we do that consistently, results will take care of themselves.

That said, I think we’ll win this one comfortably 3-0. 

That last depends on how we start and, obviously, if we can score without Ugbo starting / playing. 

8 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

That last depends on how we start and, obviously, if we can score without Ugbo starting / playing. 

I think our style of play will mean we cause a lot of problems, particularly in the second half. We won’t need to be as clinical as we needed to be last year because we’ll create more chances and be dealing with a knackered opposition in the last 10-20 minutes. I expect us to start the season fast. 

43 minutes ago, Gamblor said:

I think our style of play will mean we cause a lot of problems, particularly in the second half. We won’t need to be as clinical as we needed to be last year because we’ll create more chances and be dealing with a knackered opposition in the last 10-20 minutes. I expect us to start the season fast. 

They might not be the only ones knackered in this heat.  Lovely though today is.