Dirty Leeds Scum at home match thread.....

2 minutes ago, MAL said:

Of course we can knock it about at the back now, their not bothered to close it down.

Be interested to see the stats on lost challenges, missed placed passes, missed tackles. 

No one can dispute we are second in all the key performance stats 

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

Be interested to see the stats on lost challenges, missed placed passes, missed tackles. 

No one can dispute we are second in all the key performance stats 

NO, it will not be interested.

It will be embarrassing.

1 minute ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Don't look like scoring, 

We've been totally overrun in the middle of the park all night, totally bossed.

And what are Rohl / our analysts doing during the game to enact a change. Square root of nothing.

It is fine to stick to your football principles but you need the actual football and not be chasing shadows

Absolutely need to see Fusire in midfield v Grimsby to start putting pressure on others who seem guaranteed a game 

There are no positives from this game other than we only conceded 2.  

The fact is we are no where close to competing against the better teams. We just look weak and unless we sort things out in the transfer window we could well struggle again this season.

Despite selling some of their better players, none of our first team would get into there's. They're far better than us currently and the class showed tonight.

Perfect example was their 2nd goal. We had a chance on the counter but Musaba decided to slow down in that first half, go towards the corner flag and then loses it. Daniel James uses his ability and does a class finish.

Ethan Ampadu as the defensive minded midfielder was the man of the match. We have nothing like that at the moment. Totally bossed the game

Hopefully this Charles will sign or Chalobah recovers soon because we certainly missed a Sam Hutchinson style player in that midfield. Leeds had that luxury with Ampadu, enabling Gnonto to have that freedom left middle. 

I'll be amazed if the Jimmy Saville fan club aren't in the top 6 this year. 

Anyway lose to Millwall and no doubt the Gary Megson fan club will be calling for his return. 

• Like 2

Optimism was nice whilst it lasted but this way of playing looks to leave us way to open to soft goals, even if we lose the ball high up the pitch.  Vs Plymouth I wondered how it would play out against a side with better attackers and there we go.

Frustrating also when we do attack as for all the practice we look very disjointed and ponderous 

20 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Possibly but you win games by controlling the game, by controlling midfield. The last 2 games been totally outplayed in that area and if its not addressed we will struggle all season.

We were outplayed in midfield at Hull. After the early goals it was so apparentm

5 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

My worry is that we’ve already been sussed out this season. Both Sunderland and now these bastards have shown the whole nation how easy it is to play through and around us, break us down and turn us over.

These twats haven’t got out of second gear tonight. They haven’t needed to.

Did we get out of 2nd gear, for a supposed derby game it seemed lacking in intensity and drive.

The goal just after HT again killed any momentum - I will credit the pass and the finish - for both goals to be fair, but the ease they created other good chances. I can't recall one we fashioned from open play. But we aren't going to get momentum if we don't have the ball and when we do it's a proverbial hot potato.

Thankfully only one more league game before the international break and hopefully some strength is obtained in that midfield area. 

50 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Röhl out.

100%.

If he can't see what the problem is and how his apparent unwillingness to deal with it is making it worse then he doesn't deserve to be manager.

Dumbest comment I've ever seen on this forum, which is saying a lot.

1 minute ago, Greno said:

We were outplayed in midfield at Hull. After the early goals it was so apparentm

True but Fusire stood out.

Not saying he is the solution, the solution is playing 3 in the midfield 

• Like 1

Fuck me was Ingelsson horrific tonight.

He simply does not understand that if you are playing in a two you have to play both ways. At Sunderland, he’s got caught the wrong side of the midfield several times. Tonight he’s got caught the wrong side of the midfield. What was more worrying was his lack of reaction when a midfield player ran past him. He looks like an 11 playing as a 6.

I feel sorry for Bannan and the centre backs because they have to deal with a midfielder breaking unchecked because Ingelsson reacts to the midfield player after he has gone.

As for the rest, all looks promising until a cross comes in.

Leeds are a decent side, with two or three top players, but there are not as strong as last season and that was a chance missed.

We now need to get the midfield players in, plus that physical threat up top. We need a centre half too who will stand up to a physical threat. We don’t have that edge to get the ball back defensively when the other has the ball, if a team beats a press, we struggle.

Big week this.

• Like 2

The midfield is so weak, massive Rohl fan but playing Bannan, Ingelsson & Windass against the better teams isn’t going to work unfortunately. 

I understand he wants us to play football but we need a solid base to build from. 

7 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Having watched Notts County stroll through Grimsby last night, Fusire could have his pipe and slippers and still look good. 

That game won't show us much

Not saying he is the answer but it's the type of midfielder we need. Ingelsson to be fair is usually in a more attacking role and was able to do that v Plymouth.

I bore myself but games are won and lost in midfield, yes you still need defenders to defend and attackers to create but both those jobs are much more difficult if the protection is not there.

The worry tonight was the lack of any counter punch thrown by the coaching team. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DirtyOwl said:

The midfield is so weak, massive Rohl fan but playing Bannan, Ingelsson & Windass against the better teams isn’t going to work unfortunately. 

I understand he wants us to play football but we need a solid base to build from. 

It's the basic position of football for basically forever. You have to win the right to play your football, we are simply lacking that part of the game. 

As has already been mentioned by a few posters, too open again in midfield, and we’re just not going to get away with it against the decent sides in this division. Also both Lowes had very poor games.  They were overloading down our left all night, clearly targeting Max, and it basically won them the game.  He did need more protection from the midfield, but the way he just got beat for pace for the second by a player making basically a solo counter attack…that was very disappointing.  Also Jamal was non-existent up front.  On top of that, we lacked any real determination or aggression from set pieces.  

23 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

He simply does not understand that if you are playing in a two you have to play both ways. At Sunderland, he’s got caught the wrong side of the midfield several times. Tonight he’s got caught the wrong side of the midfield. What was more worrying was his lack of reaction when a midfield player ran past him. He looks like an 11 playing as a 6.

I feel sorry for Bannan and the centre backs because they have to deal with a midfielder breaking unchecked because Ingelsson reacts to the midfield player after he has gone.

As for the rest, all looks promising until a cross comes in.

Leeds are a decent side, with two or three top players, but there are not as strong as last season and that was a chance missed.

We now need to get the midfield players in, plus that physical threat up top. We need a centre half too who will stand up to a physical threat. We don’t have that edge to get the ball back defensively when the other has the ball, if a team beats a press, we struggle.

Big week this.

Agree with this. When we decided to go long to “escape” the chaos on the edge of our own box. Lowe couldn’t win a header or hold it for supporting runners so the only option was to hope for a lung busting run from Musaba who is suddenly off form. Not sure Ugbo is that player either so it depends if o’Mahoney is that player assuming that gets done as expected. 

Cdm and CB look even more crucial than that. 

As an aside I hate Friday night games when you don’t win or don’t win and play badly. It’s a long old weekend with plenty of football to try and ignore 😅

Edited by TheExile

2 minutes ago, owl71 said:

As has already been mentioned by a few posters, too open again in midfield, and we’re just not going to get away with it against the decent sides in this division. Also both Lowes had very poor games.  They were overloading down our left all night, clearly targeting Max, and it basically won them the game.  He did need more protection from the midfield, but the way he just got beat for pace for the second by a player making basically a solo counter attack…that was very disappointing.  Also Jamal was non-existent up front.  On top of that, we lacked any real determination or aggression from set pieces.  

Max Lowe not done anything to say he is better than Johnson.

Our attack lacked any cohesion, it was 3 individuals.

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

It's the basic position of football for basically forever. You have to win the right to play your football, we are simply lacking that part of the game. 

We will not win the right to play football anytime soon.

We just don't have the players that can play, still.

Funnily enough saying still, that is what our play is, still crap.

We do not have the players that have any or enough...

Control

Movement

Quick thinking

Leadership

Teamwork

Ability to see a forward pass most of the times

The wherewithal to do (as your post suggests) the basics of a simple game...

Which brings me back to my list above, with the admission that have missed some.

1 minute ago, owl71 said:

Musaba was the pick of a very poor performance.  At least he showed plenty of effort.

I put more effort in shouting at him.

When we signed him and a couple more, i made a statement somewhere along the lines of "I hope they work as a team and not just try and do everything on their own".

Well it's not working as a team.

@KrolMong do you think bringing the players in will just reinforce Rohl's belief in his system and create a reluctance to deviate?

I think the last two games have shown that, even with reinforcements, we don't have the calibre of players to hold 2 in midfield if one is going to be the creative. You can't play out from the keeper unless you hold the middle and we can't do that. 

For me Rohl has to bend on his beliefs. He's an analyst but it seems he's ditched that side of him and concentrated on how we can hurt the opposition instead of looking at how they could hurt us and picking the team accordingly. The last two games show it's not worked. 

Ugbo has joined to play football and I could see him forming a 2 with Lowe but Rohl is only playing 1 up front so what happens when Ugbo is fit enough to start or O'Mahoney signs (who'll also want to play)

We need to be more interchangeable. We need to be able to stifle teams by breaking them down like has happened to us and if that means starting with a back 5 at home and grinding a point out then so be it. But then we need to move to 4-2-3-1 but with two defensive midfielders sitting and not one being a deep lying QB. Some games will accommodate 4-2-2-2 or 4-1-3-2 but we need to start adapting like this and not stick rigidly to one formation and one belief. 

Edited by Tylluan

Do we still owe Hinchcliffe some wages or what? He always comes across as he hates us, always quick with a dig.

We were poor tonight, not in the game and Leeds were so much better.

Not sure why we play without a midfield and or why we persist in playing out from the back against better players.

Danny is coming across as a tad naive and he needs to ditch the dogma and start tailoring the squad and tactics to suit the opponents, imagine Paterson and Johnson starting tonight, OK, probably still get beat but we'd have put up a better show.

But all is not lost. I always thought this was a 3 year project just to get us going in the right direction.

We still have players to come back from injury and new loans so we have at least some hope. If we can secure a mid table place and then build from there for next season we'll be on track.

But tonight didn't look good.

As much as it pains me to say it, we were beaten by a better team.

I agree we weren’t competitive in midfield and not good enough going forward but I don’t think we should get too depressed yet. 

Let hope for some Prem quality can be signed to give us that edge we miss against the top clubs in this league.

28 minutes ago, 80s Owl said:

Beaten by the better side, it's early days, we move on, thats it.

Agree, some of the dummy spitting you would think your on stalk. Leeds way ahead of us as a team, them  Burnley and dare I say pigs will be bonus points this season, we'll  do enough against the Plymouths, Oxfords, Millwalls etc, accept mid table that's where we are.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fotze said:

Do we still owe Hinchcliffe some wages or what? He always comes across as he hates us, always quick with a dig.

We were poor tonight, not in the game and Leeds were so much better.

Not sure why we play without a midfield and or why we persist in playing out from the back against better players.

Danny is coming across as a tad naive and he needs to ditch the dogma and start tailoring the squad and tactics to suit the opponents, imagine Paterson and Johnson starting tonight, OK, probably still get beat but we'd have put up a better show.

But all is not lost. I always thought this was a 3 year project just to get us going in the right direction.

We still have players to come back from injury and new loans so we have at least some hope. If we can secure a mid table place and then build from there for next season we'll be on track.

But tonight didn't look good.

I sincerely hope we owe him every penny he screwed from us, the injury faking charlatan.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Billysboy said:

Agree, some of the dummy spitting you would think your on stalk. Leeds way ahead of us as a team, them  Burnley and dare I say pigs will be bonus points this season, we'll  do enough against the Plymouths, Oxfords, Millwalls etc, accept mid table that's where we are.

I hope i am so wrong...

But i think you might be in for a shock, and not in a good way.

We do not have players with basic ability, as in controlling and passing and moving, still.

This club though Although we are down and hurting its going to come good it’s always a bumpy ride but Wednesday till we die.

Pissed off the fact it was them bastards as well 

We go again we turn up we back the lads but I’m confused more than anything tonight depressed hopeful sad optimistic don’t know what to think 

Hitting the Stella now I’m home 🤣🤣

Come on Danny keep the faith we go again

💙💙💙💙💙 love you all it’s the hope that kills you

15 minutes ago, MAL said:

I hope i am so wrong...

We do not have players with basic ability, as in controlling and passing and moving, still.

16 minutes ago, MAL said:

I hope i am so wrong...

3 games in mate, 3 fucking games and yes you could be right.

1 minute ago, Bellsview said:

Not having that. Did you see them against Portsmouth?

Or West Brom?

We were shit, and that’s being generous. They were there for the taking tonight and we couldn’t as much as lay a glove on them. That’s not being stalk, that’s commenting on what I and all of us witnessed. 

There for the taking, don't know many before the game thought that.

5 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

They were there for the taking tonight and we couldn’t as much as lay a glove on them.

Yep.I can see this going south very quickly if we don't change tack. Same, same again, no threat on goal. I'm fully behind DR but he needs to sort this and quickly. It's one thing getting beat, but quite another offering no resistance like we have in the last 2 games.

10 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Not having that. Did you see them against Portsmouth?

Or West Brom?

We were shit, and that’s being generous. They were there for the taking tonight and we couldn’t as much as lay a glove on them. That’s not being stalk, that’s commenting on what I and all of us witnessed. 

How were they there for the taking?  

they’re miles ahead of us 

38 minutes ago, Billysboy said:

Almost certainly correct.  It’s just tonight was a bit of a kick in the teeth because we were all hoping for a bit more against the better teams in the division than looking inferior in every department.  🤷

A week of the window left.

Danny will fettle it, I'm confident, might still take a month to gel though.

A lot of new faces.

It takes time.

The questions over windass and bannan are warranted though.

It's with those he needs to be tough if needs be.

Some interesting comments. Rohl clearly has a game plan and in many ways it is refreshing he wants to take games to the opposition. But we are not at stage where we can impose that style. So yes play from the back, do the high press etc etc is great in theory but the last 2 games have shown we are not as good as the opposition doing the same 

Perhaps for half the teams in this division it will make us competitive enough.

The other aspect is that football is played on a pitch but just as much between the ears. The mindset of backs against the walls, nothing to lose is very different to a new season, new expectations.

And football is fickle, the euphoria and perhaps over confidence arising after the Plymouth game, came crashing down in an 11 minute mad spell v Sunderland.

And the goals just after HT in both the last games.

Rohl suggests that getting the basic beliefs back is key now and I suggest that applies to him just as much. Football is always that balance between attack and defence and applying a style that fits the players available, not vice versa

10 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Probably the best individual performance this season (I know...) was Ingelsson against Plymouth playing exactly as he has done in each game since.

He showed more in that game than any other midfield performance in the past three seasons. Bar none. 

Are you saying he should adapt or restrict  his positive forward thinking game to accommodate Bannan? 

Is it possible that we should instead play t Ingelsson's strengths and not persist with the  failed experiment on Bannan in a two?

39 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Probably the best individual performance this season (I know...) was Ingelsson against Plymouth playing exactly as he has done in each game since.

He showed more in that game than any other midfield performance in the past three seasons. Bar none. 

Are you saying he should adapt or restrict  his positive forward thinking game to accommodate Bannan? 

Is it possible that we should instead play t Ingelsson's strengths and not persist with the  failed experiment on Bannan in a two?

The issue is just playing the 2 of them in there. Meaning they are doing the job of the other midfielder that should be in there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bellsview said:

Like newly promoted Portsmouth are?

Who got a draw at their place and were unlucky not to win.

So you’ve based that on one game!

we stayed up on the last day, they lost in the play off final and should have gone up automatically .  

they’ll be top 3 or 4 again, too many of our fans got ahead of themselves because we beat a shit Plymouth side

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Andyben said:

No midfielder has ever played well with Bannan in their first 5-10 games, especially the young ones. 

There's a reason Palmer still gets on the pitch.

5 games in, there were calls to get rid of Vaulks and Byers, so many more never made it. FDB is playing the left side of midfield for Lazio one year removed.

They look like they don't know where they're supposed to be, because they don't. Their job is to be where Bannan isn't, unfortunately, he's everywhere, which looks great on TV and in the stats, but has no place in the modern game.

We don't play a midfield 2 most of the time. In the back 5 that we seem to default to, again, the 3rd CB (recently Palmer) plays as a midfielder with whoever else to make a 3 and cover for Bannan. Signing Charles, Valery etc. and yesterday suggests that we are planning to do that with hybrid players that can play at CB/DM.

The issue is, does Rohl have the bollocks or the authority to drop him?

• Like 1