Into the Lions Den to look for 3 points... Millwall match thread

Absolute shambles today, Millwall aren't a good team but we made them look good. 

You could see what was coming first half and Rohl should have changed things at half time. 

Too many attacking players leaving us wide open in middle of park. 

And those attacking players did very little. 

Back to drawing board I'm afraid. 

• Like 2

I’m going to disagree with a few on here. I thought Shea Charles was awful.

Your core job as a six is to get your foot in. He didn’t, he was toe tackling all afternoon. He was losing 50:50’s, he was reacting and not reading danger. Really really poor.

But… in games like this you need to earn the right to play. That means stand up to the tempo and aggression, don’t make it easy, bust into those tackles.

Our front four shit themselves today, Millwall were aggressive early, got tight, and after 20 mins, we were trying to avoid the contact. It didn’t stick, and we couldn’t relieve pressure because it kept coming back.

So what do we do? We either change the shape and go to a five. Or we change shape and go to a three in midfield, or we stick with the same shape and neg up the midfield and bomb Bannan, or play Bannan as a 10.

It needs a rethink. It appears that Rohl has been worked out because he’s fixed on his style and he needs to come up with more ways to play.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

We were not 'on it' at any stage of that against an ordinary side.  Some of the problems are so obvious, yet we keep picking the same profligate lightweights and tactics to the point where this is really worrying.  

As everyone knows, we need to scrap and earn the opportunity to play football. So stop picking several lightweights together who are either nesh or fecking stupid.  I.e. running up blind alleys until they just give the ball away.  

I really liked the new lad: a quality addition.  Unfortunately nobody around or behind him showed any sense, wit or belief all day. If I was the owner, I'd want to know what the hell is going on. Just like the fans who've forked out an awful lot lot of money today and been severely short changed.

Gerrit bloody sorted, DR: serving up this tripe just 'cos you're being stubborn impresses nobody!

👍

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

Absolute shambles today, Millwall aren't a good team but we made them look good. 

You could see what was coming first half and Rohl should have changed things at half time. 

Too many attacking players leaving us wide open in middle of park. 

And those attacking players did very little. 

Back to drawing board I'm afraid. 

It’s been this way in every game. It’s frustrating when it has to get this bad before the people who can do something about it, acknowledge it. 

• Like 1

It certainly is concerning but no need to panic just yet and i'm confident Danny will solve it. Can't help but think though we dropped one letting Vaulks walk away, we need his attitude as well as his presence in midfield.

I would never start Musaba and Gassama together ever again, get Johnson and Paterson back in the team and Ingelsson and Chalobah and start kicking a few opponents. Just got bullied today and we need some players with balls.

I was feeling a bit down so I must admit that I ventured over to the wailing wall of Owlstalk to cheer myself up. Like a fxxkin bloodbath over there.

Edited by Harry Lime
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

I’m going to disagree with a few on here. I thought Shea Charles was awful.

When will you admit that there's at least a tiny tiny chance that all these players playing next to Bannan who all of a sudden look awful may be having to cope with Capt Baz's inadequacies?

42 minutes ago, Theman said:

Worrying but no need to panic yet, we’ve not seen DRs first choice line up yet as Chalobah hasnt been available, is 10 league games in the measure? 👍

It was last year the problem is we started shit and got shitter

Comments from Neil Harris on his own side quite to the point. Eliminate the mistakes, have a structure, work as a team.

It just seems that some of our players believe their own hype, rested on the laurels of the results from the back end and have lost that edge. 

56 minutes ago, Theman said:

Worrying but no need to panic yet, we’ve not seen DRs first choice line up yet as Chalobah hasnt been available, is 10 league games in the measure? 👍

I don’t think one player makes that approach work any more. It was hoped Charles might show sign of it but 10 games like this would be as terminal as last season. At least Rohl suggests changes in his interview. He has done so before and not changed much but surely needs to make use of the next two weeks now to give us a foundation to play football. 

Just watched Bournemouth on MoTD and they changed it up by bypassing their ineffective midfield after playing out wasn't working. They pinged long balls wide to the 3 behind the forward and condensed the pitch then put balls in the box.

We have players who can do that in Kobacki, Pol, and Johnson, who are more direct than Gassama and Musaba, so take a leaf out of Bournemouth's book at least as a plan B

• Like 1

As MK said I could sort of accept the defeats to Sunderland and Weeds but today we totally capitulated against a workmanlike side, we don't look like scoring and can't defend, there's a lot of work to do in the international break.

9 hours ago, Andyben said:

When will you admit that there's at least a tiny tiny chance that all these players playing next to Bannan who all of a sudden look awful may be having to cope with Capt Baz's inadequacies?

Bannan has nothing to do with a player struggling with the basics of the role.

What really didn’t help Charles today was how poor defensively were Valery and Ihiekwe, and how little protection Gassama gave on that side. We are seeing a lot of the central midfield players being dragged into wide areas to stop play building.

That said, the balance isn’t right regardless. You can’t play a 6 and a 10 in front of the back four with two attacking full backs. If we want to get the most out of Bannan AND shore us up, then we have to play him higher up the pitch and put another 6 in, or, change the shape and either drop him, or play him wider in a narrow midfield.

Away from home you have to earn the right to play and we aren’t doing that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

Alternatively it's been 10 years of the Bannan show and it is fucking boring, get rid of the ****.

It is a balance, when we dominated the game v Plymouth then he comes to the fore with that creative ability in and around the box. 

But if we don't have the ball, I refuse to count the 300 passes in our half as meaningful possession then we have no creativity, but equally look totally vulnerable at the back.

There was a lack of concentration by the defence at those key moments, but as others have said is it a surprise they have no respite during the game because these days they are expected to pass it around, the minute it goes forward we lose it and they are back to the day job 

It doesn't excuse some of the defending either but the lightweight midfield in front of them is not helping

27 minutes ago, mkowl said:

It is a balance, when we dominated the game v Plymouth then he comes to the fore with that creative ability in and around the box. 

But if we don't have the ball, I refuse to count the 300 passes in our half as meaningful possession then we have no creativity, but equally look totally vulnerable at the back.

There was a lack of concentration by the defence at those key moments, but as others have said is it a surprise they have no respite during the game because these days they are expected to pass it around, the minute it goes forward we lose it and they are back to the day job 

It doesn't excuse some of the defending either but the lightweight midfield in front of them is not helping

He doesn't like to be pressed and goes into panic mode pretty easily.

Give him space and he'll rip you a new one, but how many teams this season are going to let you do that?

As soon as he got robbed in the first half it was over for him. He has the weakest mentality of any player I've seen as when he's not on top he just loses his mind, starts flying in and releasing the ball as soon as he gets it like he's scared of it.

He'll come alive if you get a bit of pressure but just goes back once you lose it.

This is our club captain, the one who's setting an example, the leader.

• Like 2

The thing is even though we beat Plymouth it wasn't as comfortable as 4-0 looks. 

I wrote in that matchday thread that if Rooney had had half a brain he'd have moved Cissoko inside to exploit the gap between our midfield and defence and if Whittaker could have been arsed that day then the score could have been different. 

The warning signs were there but I thought it was just first game cohesion problems. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Bannan has nothing to do with a player struggling with the basics of the role.

What really didn’t help Charles today was how poor defensively were Valery and Ihiekwe, and how little protection Gassama gave on that side. We are seeing a lot of the central midfield players being dragged into wide areas to stop play building.

That said, the balance isn’t right regardless. You can’t play a 6 and a 10 in front of the back four with two attacking full backs. If we want to get the most out of Bannan AND shore us up, then we have to play him higher up the pitch and put another 6 in, or, change the shape and either drop him, or play him wider in a narrow midfield.

Away from home you have to earn the right to play and we aren’t doing that. 

The same was said about Vaulks and every other 'partner' BB has had in a midfield 2 all the way back to Joey P and beyond.

It simply can't be that every central midfielder we've bought and played with him are poor at the  basics of the game.

9 minutes ago, Andyben said:

The same was said about Vaulks and every other 'partner' BB has had in a midfield 2 all the way back to Joey P and beyond.

It simply can't be that every central midfielder we've bought and played with him are poor at the  basics of the game.

We have established that Bannan cannot play in a two. The only coach who actually tried not to do that believe it or not was Darren Moore, who played him in front of Luongo and Byers, and then left of Byers and Vaulks. With success I might add.

We actually had no issues when we paired Bannan with Kieran Lee, or Bannan with Hutch under Carlos and Steve Bruce.

I am 100% certain that as soon as Chalobah is fit, you will see Bannan either move wide, or, Bannan move into the 10. He will play because you need one player in the last third who has the ability to open teams up with a pass. You will also see games where he doesn’t play where mobility and aggression are key, and that’s where Ingelsson or Windass will play - especially away from home.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

We have established that Bannan cannot play in a two. The only coach who actually tried not to do that believe it or not was Darren Moore, who played him in front of Luongo and Byers, and then left of Byers and Vaulks. With success I might add.

We actually had no issues when we paired Bannan with Kieran Lee, or Bannan with Hutch under Carlos and Steve Bruce.

I am 100% certain that as soon as Chalobah is fit, you will see Bannan either move wide, or, Bannan move into the 10. He will play because you need one player in the last third who has the ability to open teams up with a pass. You will also see games where he doesn’t play where mobility and aggression are key, and that’s where Ingelsson or Windass will play - especially away from home.

In League One!!

His best season was a decade ago, when he played left and we had proper midfielder in the middle.

21 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

The thing is even though we beat Plymouth it wasn't as comfortable as 4-0 looks. 

I wrote in that matchday thread that if Rooney had had half a brain he'd have moved Cissoko inside to exploit the gap between our midfield and defence and if Whittaker could have been arsed that day then the score could have been different. 

The warning signs were there but I thought it was just first game cohesion problems. 

That is the Championship, that tactics or tactical shifts can hugely influence the outcome. But equally at 2 Nil yesterday, Millwall looked way more dangerous than the previous 70 minutes because they relaxed and we gave up. 

That is what arose v Plymouth, but it papered over the shortcomings of the midfield.

The issue for me is that Rohl wants to play football in a way that our players aren't capable of and in a league that is uncompromising, the opposition will find your weaknesses but particularly so if you are not standing toe to toe.

Control the midfield, control the game. We are thinking our "strengths" elsewhere will compensate, that we can get to their weaknesses more. But by conceding that area it's not working 

5 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

DR did it last season, Palmer coming into the back 3 was much closer to him joining Vaulks behind Bannan as a DM than as a CB.

Either way it's dropping a man from in front of Bannan to behind him.

If DR wants to play 4 attackers Bannan has to be one or drop him.

I do think that DR has prepared for this with most of the new signings also being able to play DM/CB if needed, Valery, Lowe, Chalobah, Charles.

3 minutes ago, Reesh said:

In League One!!

His best season was a decade ago, when he played left and we had proper midfielder in the middle.

I’ll rephrase this another way. Every single manager we have had has probably wanted to move Bannan away. But, we’ve either not been able to find a replacement OR the ones we have brought in have turned out to be duds or crocks.

This is the first time since the days of Carlos where I think we can potentially move away from him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tewksbury said:

DR did it last season, Palmer coming into the back 3 was much closer to him joining Vaulks behind Bannan as a DM than as a CB.

Either way it's dropping a man from in front of Bannan to behind him.

If DR wants to play 4 attackers Bannan has to be one or drop him.

I do think that DR has prepared for this with most of the new signings also being able to play DM/CB if needed, Valery, Lowe, Chalobah, Charles.

I 100% agree here. Rohl has signed players to take the responsibility away from Bannan over time. If you want to play a 4-2-3-1 and have two raiding full backs who can invert, you need two defensive midfield players who can plug the gaps. Bannan is not one of them.

• Like 2

My other bug bear was the 2nd goal. Our defenders more focused on doing WWE moves with the opposition forwards. I appreciate it's tit for tat in there, but there was a delay twice IIRC before the corner was taken. 

Still a question mark over their first goal in that it was borderline offside. VAR would have been interesting for sure.

It did change the game, as first goals invariably do. 

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Yeah I hoped we were just going for the kill that day but could see how any credible side could just have the freedom of the pitch when we lost the ball.

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

I think you'll be surprised at how little these midfield pairings actually players.

I don't think Bannan and Lee played as a two in any more than 3 matches, if at all. There was always Hutch in there as well, with either one of BB or  KL wide or more advanced - this is upto and including the 16/17 season.

After  that Bannan played centrally with David Jones or Butterfield and we were having the same conversations as now. Two established PL midfielders made to look shit by Bannan 

That season (the one after the Huddersfield Play Off debacle) sowed the  seeds for where we are now.

Edited by Andyben

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

Still a question mark over their first goal in that it was borderline offside. VAR would have been interesting for sure.

It did change the game, as first goals invariably do. 

I thought when it went in it was offside but I’ve seen a replay of it from a better angle and he was definitely onside.

Bernard and Valery were both ball watching and neither picked up their runners, which then led to the cross being put in and the goal scorer having a relatively simple finish.

You’re right in that it changed the game after it went in. 

I’m starting to look more at the mentality of our players and how their heads go down when up against it, and I’d give anything for a captain with Nigel Pearson’s mental strength and leadership qualities. We don’t have one player in the squad who is genuine captain material IMHO. 

Edited by Bellsview
Wrong word

37 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

I thought when it went in it was offside but I’ve seen a replay of it from a better angle and he was definitely onside.

Bernard and Valery were both ball watching and neither picked up their runners, which then led to the cross being put in and the goal scorer having a relatively simple finish.

You’re right in that it changed the game after it went in. 

I’m starting to look more at the mentality of our players and how their heads go down when up against it, and I’d give anything for a captain with Nigel Pearson’s mental strength and leadership qualities. We don’t have one player in the squad who is genuine captain material IMHO. 

I'm not sure about the first goal changing the game because to me we were already poor and were lucky to go in at half time level. 

We had plenty of possession but did very little with it and they looked like scoring every time they came forward. 

Defending set pieces needs working on whilst we need to work on our own set pieces down other end, we hardly look a threat from corners. 

Edited by bradowl

18 hours ago, Andyben said:

He didn't look awful, he looked a class above the rest. And generally speaking it wasn't him OR Bannan giving the ball away, it was both wingers & Lowe.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

He didn't look awful, he looked a class above the rest. And generally speaking it wasn't him OR Bannan giving the ball away, it was both wingers & Lowe.  

So it wasn't Bannan who got dispossessed with dithering on the ball on two occasions? My bad.

8 minutes ago, Reesh said:

So it wasn't Bannan who got dispossessed with dithering on the ball on two occasions? My bad.

As I said, "generally speaking." AndHow many times more than that did Musaba, Gassaba and J Lowe donate the ball to Millwall and do sod all to retrieve the situation?

5 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

As I said, "generally speaking." AndHow many times more than that did Musaba, Gassaba and J Lowe donate the ball to Millwall and do sod all to retrieve the situation?

We aren't talking about them, we are talking about the captain, the one who is killing the team and has for nigh on a decade with his selfish attitude and his shit set pieces

Bannan certainly seems to polarise opinion.I just feel that we now need to move on from him.We’ve not exactly been a highflying team since he’s been here,and the club surely needs to progress on a upward trajectory.

I’ve never,from the day he was appointed captain,been comfortable with that.It’s as if he intimidates some of his teammates.Obviously I don’t have any evidence,it’s just a personal opinion,and I’m not saying it’s deliberate.

You can’t question his commitment,I just think we’ve gone as far as we can with him in the team.

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

I'm not sure about the first goal changing the game because to me we were already poor and were lucky to go in at half time level. 

We had plenty of possession but did very little with it and they looked like scoring every time they came forward. 

Defending set pieces needs working on whilst we need to work on our own set pieces down other end, we hardly look a threat from corners. 

I guess it was more in the sense that Millwall were chugging away without creating great chances. If they decided to chase the game and leave gaps it could have suited us on the break.

The reality is we were 2nd best before that goal and there was no real reaction to doing so, we actually got worse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

We aren't talking about them, we are talking about the captain, the one who is killing the team and has for nigh on a decade with his selfish attitude and his shit set pieces

Who's we?  Most posters have written about the team generally yesterday and DR's tactics. The usual few Bannan obsessives have tried to make it all about him again.  

There's arguments in the thread about the new signing, Charles, and about the amount of attacking players selected and how it didn't result in much effective attacking.  Also the innefective defending by some.

Edited by Owling_Wolf
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Who's we?  Most posters have written about the team generally yesterday and DR's tactics. The usual few Bannan obsessives have tried to make it all about him again.  

There's arguments in the thread about the new signing, Charles, and about the amount of attacking players selected and how it didn't result in much effective attacking.  Also the innefective defending by some.

Bannan obsessives? Or people that have half a fucking brain compared to the Bannan apologists for whom he can do no wrong.

Charles looked quite tidy at the beginning but got dragged down to the level of those around him

What's ineffective is your spelling this weekend 😉

13 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

The problem starts with Röhl and his team selection and tactics.

Its highlighted by Bannan still being selected of one of two in midfleid even though that's not worked since Hutch was effective in 2017/18 before Jo's went on mad one.

There is a place in the squad for Bannan but it's to come into games as an extra midfielder when we're 2-0 up and need to slow it down and control the game.

We're effectively giving up a huge part of goal scoring opportunities by having BB on corners and free kicks - honestly do you  ever think "were gonna score here" at a corner or free kick when he's over the ball?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Its highlighted by Bannan still being selected of one of two in midfleid even though that's not worked since Hutch was effective in 2017/18 before Jo's went on mad one.

There is a place in the squad for Bannan but it's to come into games as an extra midfielder when we're 2-0 up and need to slow it down and control the game.

We're effectively giving up a huge part of goal scoring opportunities by having BB on corners and free kicks - honestly do you  ever think "were gonna score here" at a corner or free kick when he's over the ball?

The irony was that the corner kick when they got the 2nd was as bad as a Bannan one 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

Bannan obsessives? Or people that have half a fucking brain compared to the Bannan apologists for whom he can do no wrong.

Charles looked quite tidy at the beginning but got dragged down to the level of those around him

It is obsessive, the amount that Bendy in particular goes into bat against BB irrespective of our circumstances.  I wouldn't mind if other players hadn't had much worse ganes, as I've posted already. You're a bit fairer but seem to enjoy a Baz bash sometimes.  The forum generally is much fairer, though one or two seem to get swayed once the likes of you two regular hitters have been having a bite.

I'm no Baz fanboy: that would be DR!  One area I will praise him though is his incredible fitness and pace, bearing in mind his age. Especially in comparison with some others.  I was looking forward to seeing Chalobah as an option but he's been a pup so far, fitness wise, early days though it is. I also thought we badly missed Iorfa's pace once 'wall started with the accurate long passes into space wide, 2nd half.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

I absolutely agree ref Baz on dead ball kicks.  Last season we seemed to settle on Windass (and Vaulks?) at times.  

• Like 1

On Bannan I think the cup games, whilst against teams at a lower level, he has shown what he can still offer on the ball as his team mates have struggled to control midfield or make a case for nudging him aside.

What we’ve seen in the league though is that if he’s still of benefit it’s on the ball and picking passes out. Some of the players like Johnson, Palmer and Windass who he’s been in sync with aren’t in the side or doing different jobs. So when he’s not as effective on the ball he’s more or less redundant in any kind of battle.  Even as a younger player for him to he effective he needs others to win the battle and make the runs. Both of those elements have been poor from us recently.

If we are moving on from him then there needs to be a better plan for it as we can’t pass wind and other players just run down blind alleys. I suspect we will be returning to Johnson, Palmer, Bannan and Paterson to do some basic SOS work shortly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

I'll give you that last comment about spelling! I struggled to even stay awake coming home from the match last night: a long day & an early start, following a bigger than usual Peak District hillwalk on Friday in really warm conditions really got to me: nowt to do with several IPAs in the ground honest.  👀   Today I've had a shocking migraine whilst posting: could hardly see on the phone: thankfully tablets seem to be taking it off now.  Good: am out for another walk tomoz!  

Edited by Owling_Wolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

It is obsessive, the amount that Bendy in particular goes into bat against BB irrespective of our circumstances.  I wouldn't mind if other players hadn't had much worse ganes, as I've posted already. You're a bit fairer but seem to enjoy a Baz bash sometimes.  The forum generally is much fairer, though one or two seem to get swayed once the likes of you two regular hitters have been having a bite.

I'm no Baz fanboy: that would be DR!  One area I will praise him though is his incredible fitness and pace, bearing in mind his age. Especially in comparison with some others.  I was looking forward to seeing Chalobah as an option but he's been a pup so far, fitness wise, early days though it is. I also thought we badly missed Iorfa's pace once 'wall started with the accurate long passes into space wide, 2nd half.  

I enjoy a Baz Bash as you say cos I've seen him produce 3/5ths of fuck all of note in a decade at the club, he is happy being a big fish in a small pomd hence he's stayed here and never kicked on in his mediocre career 

Edited by Reesh

1 minute ago, Reesh said:

I enjoy a Baz Bash as you say cos I've seen him produce 3/5ths of fuck all of note in a decade at the club, he is happy being a big fish in a small part hence he's stayed here and never kicked on in his mediocre career 

Better watch it, you: their Elsie will be after you!   😉