SCR/Fantasy FM

I remember the constant battle every shop that sold hi-fi's in the city centre had to stop kids tuning SCR in. Tandy's in the hole in the road gave up and you used to be met by the sound of adverts for chicken shops and nights at Sadacca (ladies free before 11, gents dress to impress) as you walked through. 

SCR must have had a powerful transmitter cos we picked it up in Rawmarsh and Swinton. It's where I first heard stuff by the likes of Unique 3, LFO, Tricky Disco and Forgemasters. But it's also where I heard the reggae sound system stuff that was a lot deeper than Soul II Soul's early stuff I'd been listening to. 

Edited by Tylluan

34 minutes ago, Andyben said:

...was more of a SuperFi / Moorgate Acoustics boy myself..

I had a summer job at Moorgate Acoustics, at the bottom of Moorgate road, and learned a massive amount off the owner Keith Hobson. I loved the sound booths where you could listen to the difference in sound quality from different pieces of kit. I used the money to buy a 2nd hand pair of Citronic decks. By the time Keith had finished refurbing them they were the absolute dogs bollocks. 

One of the perks was being able to get  Stanton 500s at trade prices. 

• Like 1