CR7 phenomenal

But, has his time come, does he hold Portugal back, 900 goals is amazing, but in a glorified pub league now, no question that in his Real Madrid days he rivalled Messi, where does he stand in the Pantheon of football stars? 👍

8 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

He didn't. Great player and all that, but rivalled Messi? Get a grip mate.

Yeah he did, and without the PEDs Messi took, also Messi shone in one league in his career, CR7 at least had a crack outside his comfort zone

• Thanks 1

Both outstanding players in different ways. Agree on Ronaldo stepping out of his comfort zone and having a go elsewhere.

But, Messi, internationally at least, has achieved way more. Two Copas, a World Cup, two golden ball (one in a World Cup winning team).

Both are a long way off that level now and I don’t actually blame either of them for making an end of career call to play in pub leagues.

For the record, I still see a scenario where both of them have a year back where it started. So Sporting for Ronaldo and Newell for Messi.

2 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Both outstanding players in different ways. Agree on Ronaldo stepping out of his comfort zone and having a go elsewhere.

But, Messi, internationally at least, has achieved way more. Two Copas, a World Cup, two golden ball (one in a World Cup winning team).

Both are a long way off that level now and I don’t actually blame either of them for making an end of career call to play in pub leagues.

For the record, I still see a scenario where both of them have a year back where it started. So Sporting for Ronaldo and Newell for Messi.

Argentina is four time bigger than Portugal population wise so they have a better and bigger pool to pull their international team from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both absolutely astonishing players, with stellar careers, I’m glad I’ve had the chance to see them play. 
I always preferred Messi out of the two, but Ronaldo is a machine. I’ll never forget watching a thing Sky run on Xmas day years ago where they showed just how good he was, they had him volleying balls In the dark in one scenario. It was scary how in tune he was with the ball, even when he couldn’t see it!

Messi has the natural talent and is the golden boy.

Ronaldo is where he is through hard work and incredible discipline. He has the talent but he's backed it up. Listen to the old Man U players talking about when he rocked up there.

There are a lot of players who would have been better than CR had they put in the same effort, but they didn't. 

• Like 3

The copa America, is so much easier to win than the euros and Argentina, with Messi, should have won it more times. The Euros, minus Argentina and Brazil is, virtually, the World Cup. Which is why I put Portugals win in 2016 above both Messi’s Copa Americas. In terms of the 2022 World Cup, it’s a massive achievement, it did seem that FIFA aligned to give Messi his triumph. Ronaldo is the ultimate athlete, making the most of his talent, hard work, professionalism, he did rival Messi in his la liga days, and had he played the same amount of games over the same period, he would have scored more goals than messi, a better gpg ratio. People forget that for every corner RM conceded, Ronaldo was back there defending, often making a clearance. He also could do things Messi could never do, physically and in his magnificent heading abilities. In summary Ronaldo can do everything Messi could, but the reverse is not applicable. In my opinion Maradona was the ultimate but flawed genius, because of that CR7 is the goat although I do not like that term 👍

4 hours ago, Theman said:

The copa America, is so much easier to win than the euros and Argentina, with Messi, should have won it more times. The Euros, minus Argentina and Brazil is, virtually, the World Cup. Which is why I put Portugals win in 2016 above both Messi’s Copa Americas. In terms of the 2022 World Cup, it’s a massive achievement, it did seem that FIFA aligned to give Messi his triumph. Ronaldo is the ultimate athlete, making the most of his talent, hard work, professionalism, he did rival Messi in his la liga days, and had he played the same amount of games over the same period, he would have scored more goals than messi, a better gpg ratio. People forget that for every corner RM conceded, Ronaldo was back there defending, often making a clearance. He also could do things Messi could never do, physically and in his magnificent heading abilities. In summary Ronaldo can do everything Messi could, but the reverse is not applicable. In my opinion Maradona was the ultimate but flawed genius, because of that CR7 is the goat although I do not like that term 👍

Paragraphs aren't illegal on here.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Reesh said:

And the others aren't?

One took PEDs and the other would do the same as Maradona, see Rooney at Germany 2006

For me, the more talent you have, (and Maradona had everything - right from being a kid), the more bent you are when you turn to cheating. He didn't just do the 'hand of god' bollocks and shamefully get away with it and take the piss afterwards, he also got caught doing drugs at a further World Cup.  Vermin.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

For me, the more talent you have, (and Maradona had everything - right from being a kid), the more bent you are when you turn to cheating. He didn't just do the 'hand of god' bollocks and shamefully get away with it and take the piss afterwards, he also got caught doing drugs at a further World Cup.  Vermin.   

Messi took hormone growth tablets that's as fucking bad.

35 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Due to the different era's and protection afforded to attacking players I would put Maradona ahead as the greatest modern day player, marginally ahead of Pato.

Can't comment on Pele as not around when he played.

Plus Maradona would not have cheated if fookin Shilton could jump.  Cost us two World Cup opportunities.

16 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Due to the different era's and protection afforded to attacking players I would put Maradona ahead as the greatest modern day player, marginally ahead of Pato.

Can't comment on Pele as not around when he played.

How good would maradona have been if he’d led Ronaldo’s lifestyle 

• Like 1