Will 'R' fans be cock a hoop(s) come 5pm Saturday ?

Feels more of a loss ending 1-1 than it did at 0-0 and even then it felt like 2 points dropped. 

We were so comfortable throughout the game and thoroughly deserved 3 points. Tough one to take especially in the circumstances of their goal. 

Kobacki started well and defensively he is miles better than the other wingers we have. 

Charles had a good game and can only improve with a better partner in the midfield. 

Bannan needs to be dropped and at the very least if he starts I don’t want him stood over a corner again. 

I thought some players ran out of legs around the 60 minute mark. Ugbo, Valery, Windass. Kobacki being the prime ones. To be fair to Charles and Bannan, one of them tried to get up the pitch when we had possession, but then we became sloppy with the ball, so one would make a run, we’d give it away and then it’s a sprint back.

I agree with @Andyben in that it was crying out for Ingelsson, although my change would have been to go to a four and bring him on for Valery and put Palmer to right back and Johnson to left back and gone three in midfield. I’d have told the back four to stay at home.

7 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I have just seen it too. I can’t believe the ref hasn’t seen either.

He was fairly awful, did you see Dembele's foul on Windass that he was yellow carded for?  Neither did the ref, he was looking the other way. It WAS a foul and deserved a yellow, but he didn't even see it.

13 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I thought some players ran out of legs around the 60 minute mark. Ugbo, Valery, Windass. Kobacki being the prime ones. To be fair to Charles and Bannan, one of them tried to get up the pitch when we had possession, but then we became sloppy with the ball, so one would make a run, we’d give it away and then it’s a sprint back.

I agree with @Andyben in that it was crying out for Ingelsson, although my change would have been to go to a four and bring him on for Valery and put Palmer to right back and Johnson to left back and gone three in midfield. I’d have told the back four to stay at home.

I didn't understand the Famewo substitution for Bernard personally KM, that type of game was crying out for Inglesson & Paterson today.

12 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Just seen a replay of their goal, clear foul on Palmer and one of their players had a hold of Beadle all way through scramble.

Figures.  I said at the time I couldn’t believe there wasn’t at least one foul somewhere in that.  Would’ve been disallowed with VAR for sure.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the first half today: thought we were well perky and had obviously been trying some new stuff during the Int. Break. Most folks I talk to had been suggesting recently that we don't start so gung ho as we have this season and this seemed to be the case today.   Olaf looked good for 45 mins and Famewo throughout.  A bit blunt up front: both best chances fell to Josh, (I think), and the 2nd one at least was on his wrong foot it looked like. 

A lot less fun in 2nd half and it eventually went flat and was petering out when it all went daft. The thought of us scoring a worldy with a couple of minutes left would have been laughed at but suddenly wtf???   But something made me say to the mates either side that this game wasn't won yet. I even thought any goal might be a sh*t one after we'd scored that blinder from Baz. Even thinking that, I couldn't have envisioned how squalid the equaliser would be, ffs!   🤬

• Like 1

Been critical of Bannan of late, but he was good today. Windass was a waste of a shirt and I'd have hooked him for Ingelsson at HT.

5 mins from time the game was definitely crying out for the left back to be swapped...

Where was Jamal Lowe? Thought we could have done with him.

Edited by Otto_Man
  • Like 1

We shouldn’t be talking about that last gasp leveller as having an impact on the score.  That first half we were excellent for periods, but we couldn’t finish. Windass guilty of a couple, the Ugbo one but overall we were so rash in the box with the ball.

QPR were dogged at best, but were allowed to stay in the game by us. 

Frustrating in the end, but better than recent weeks by a distance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otto_Man said:

Been critical of Bannan of late, but he was good today. Windass was a waste of a shirt and I'd have hooked him for Ingelsson at HT.

5 mins from time the game was definitely crying out for the left back to be swapped...

Where was Jamal Lowe? Thought we could have done with him.

I think Marv had just been fouled. Wonder if he was hurt?

• Like 1

Disappointing result, especially after going 1-0 up so late but bigger picture we at least competed and really should have won.

I think the starting 11 is nearer to what we need as opposed to what we've used previously. Musaba and Gassama have hopefully been rumbled, they give the ball away too easily and don't fight enough to get it back. Should be a given, you lose the ball, you go get the fooker back. I've a feeling Kobacki will go from strength to strength and become a star.

Really down at FT but I think DR has learnt and with other players still to come back like J. Lowe, Chabolah, Iorfa i'm a bit more upbeat than 2 weeks ago.

Oh, special mention to Max Lowe. No good turning up for work, physically fit and ready to go if you're not thinking about what TF you're doing. Wake TF up.

Always finish on a positive. I got the result right in the super 6 thing.................I think I did anyway.

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Also just remembered: we thought Pato had got dressed to come on. Moments later it was Lowe instead. Anyone else see that or were we dreaming? 

He was coming on, but Marv signalled about the injury and it was swapped. 

There was a foul on us just before the ref gave them the free kick, right in front of me.

Anyway first time live this season, at a cost of 50p a minute for the South Stand. Agree first half was decent, again just the final ball or lack of shooting boots. 

2nd half fizzled away until the dramatic injury time. That is the noticeable how the energy levels dropped, in all positions, just very noticeable in that midfield area. Do get frustrated that Rohl last season was good at changing the set up, this it's more same set up throughout, change the players.

In terms of their goal it must have been close to being a goal before the scramble. Off the line I think I just "typical Wednesday" and laughed more than anything.

Well Evie wants to go back so that's something. 

Musaba showed why Kobacki was picked in front of him today and Lowe showed why he was sat on the bench instead of Marv. There's an understanding between Kobacki and Johnson. The only time Musaba tracked back led to Lowe's stupid foul and their goal.

After their goal the lino on the South walked back for the restart with a huge grin on his face, almost laughing. The ref's view was blocked by two QPR players but he never moves. In real time their looked to be a handball and at least two other fouls. 

We were extremely wasteful in the first half. Ugbo had two handed to him on a plate and other chances were snatched at. Those cost us in the end. 

One last thing. We were row c in the South and it's a long time since I've sat that close to the pitch. The grass looked too long. It seemed to stick when players were trying run with it. I also think it's why we lifted it so much. 

• Like 2

I have watched their goal several times and suggest they bring back the old Spot the Ball competition for old times sake.

That is football though, the fact joy and despair can be just minutes apart.

Overall it was an OK performance against a lower midtable team, that we very much are. 

The conundrum of Bannan, in the first half we controlled the game, his passing was decent, his crossing from dead balls awful. But then the 2nd the game drifts, they create their best chances, he waves his arms around and looks pissed off, then hits a great effort.

He is the problem that is our best opportunity in games.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Also just remembered: we thought Pato had got dressed to come on. Moments later it was Lowe instead. Anyone else see that or were we dreaming? 

I didn’t see it OW but people sat near me were talking about the fact Pato didn’t look happy that he didn’t get on. I wonder if would have come on for Windass. Don’t think we would have conceded if he had been on, but thats football.

I really found myself getting frustrated by the Bannan, Windass, Johnson axis yesterday.  Lots of possession and promise but no end product.  Maybe we need 2 balls - one for those 3 and one for the other 7.  Number of times the 3 of them ignored Kobacki.

Time for the managing of Bannans game time particularly.  Goal aside second half he was very poor causing gaping gaps in midfield. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I didn’t see it OW but people sat near me were talking about the fact Pato didn’t look happy that he didn’t get on. I wonder if would have come on for Windass. Don’t think we would have conceded if he had been on, but thats football.

Pato was well pissed off.  Took his shirt and vest off and slammed them to the floor. 

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Quite.  Having said that, the Lowe foul is exactly the type Pato does often concede.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Paterson should've been on for Johnson regardless, QPR started pumping balls in and Pato would've had a field day clearing it away.

They didn't though really aside from the 94th minute when they had conceded. So the use of Pato is now with a huge dollop of hindsight and no guarantee this towering header may have been into his own net or he would have wrestled someone to give away a pen. Marv was fatigued, hence why Lowe came on, straight swap and exactly the right call.

It was a mad end to a mundane game 

• Like 1

That game can just be stuck in the huge filing cabinet marked “you’ve got to score when you’re on top”.  A much more encouraging performance.  The starting line up looked more balanced and less open to counters, and that’s how it proved.  Very good first half, where we kept causing them problems while looking far more solid defensively than in recent games.  We went in 0-0 though, and QPR’s gaffer appeared to nullify much of our attacking play with his team talk and subs?  That or a few of our players just ran out of steam?  Or a bit of both?  Röhl‘s subs had less impact than their’s. End of the day the ref robbed us of two points, and across the piece we just about deserved all three.

All in all though a much more encouraging day.  Röhl now seems to have a plan A that should work against everyone apart from the best sides in this division.

33 minutes ago, mkowl said:

They didn't though really aside from the 94th minute when they had conceded. So the use of Pato is now with a huge dollop of hindsight and no guarantee this towering header may have been into his own net or he would have wrestled someone to give away a pen. Marv was fatigued, hence why Lowe came on, straight swap and exactly the right call.

It was a mad end to a mundane game 

All about opnions MK, personally don't rate M.Lowe, would've stuck Palmer to LB.

But like you say all about its and buts.

We wouldn't be talking about a 94th minute QPR goal had we buried our chances earlier in the game.

2 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

All about opnions MK, personally don't rate M.Lowe, would've stuck Palmer to LB.

But like you say all about its and buts.

We wouldn't be talking about a 94th minute QPR goal had we buried our chances earlier in the game.

I think his connection to the other lot means he is on the back foot to start with. But not going to disagree that on current form Johnson gets the nod. 

Concur the finishing in the first half was awful and you have to work the keeper as much as possible.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I think his connection to the other lot means he is on the back foot to start with. But not going to disagree that on current form Johnson gets the nod. 

Concur the finishing in the first half was awful and you have to work the keeper as much as possible.

I don't care about the affinity with that lot, all I care about is he hood enough to be first choice LB, on the games I've seen do far, he's had spells but he also hasn't been helped by Musaba in front of him who's left him out to dry on many occasions.

Like other posters have said, Johnson & Kobacki had more of an understanding but then again, Kobacki tracked back and helped out.

The one frustrating thing I found was that Johnson, Bannan and Windass wanted to play 3 a side amongst themselves & Kobacki was stood in space galore at times, especially in that first half.

As it stands, when we have a fully fit squad and its just my opinion but Windass & Bannan don't start.

Midfield trio of Charles, Chalobah and Inglesson & I want to see 2 up front in Ugbo & Lowe.

• Like 1

The thing is re Max Lowe, I didn't think he was bad v Plymouth, as was hardly any of them...

But then in the next 3 he played, who else really shone? 

Johnson does deserve to be in, he played well yesterday and has done in the games he's played this season but Max wasn't the reason we didn't win yesterday. The next phases of play after the FK could have been cleared, AND of course, as has been said so many times already... The game should have been out of sight before that point. 

I’m telling you now.

If Marvin Johnson was 25 years old, and performing as he has done at left back/left wing back for the last 3 or so years. He’d be commanding an 8 figure transfer fee.

If you look at even the basic elements. He’s good going forward, he’s athletic, he’s a lot better defensively than people think.

His (and our) issue is that he’s in his early 30’s.

Max Lowe is a more orthodox left back, nowhere near as good going forward, but given time will be a better defender and someone who can lock a side of the pitch down.

• Like 3

Just watched the goals again.

Of all the things that go on before and during the QPR goal, the most ridiculous is their number 3 pushing Beadle to the ground and keeping him down.

Once again it’s a referee failing at the psychological side of his job. He knew there was at least one foul in there but didn’t have the bottle to blow up and disallow such an important goal. 

• Like 1