Can the Owls clatter the Hatters match thread

I hate losing, I can't stand losing but when we've played like we have for 75 minutes, kept Luton at bay for the best part of it, then the officials decide that they want to have to key to Luton by giving them a penalty that never was, then allowing the winning goal that was controlled by his hand before wacking it into the net.

Those players today gave it their all and I can't complain about any performance today - barring the officials.

Looked sound until the referee tipped the game on its head. Hit his shoulder just as the ref missed several costly fouls last week.

6 points whittled down to 1 makes a huge difference. 

Feels like the tone is set for the season already. But we haven’t deserved the last two results at least.

• Like 1

That was really unfortunate, played really well.

We do have an achilles heel, namely defending crosses into the box and both goals came from that. But par t of that is still the daft free kicks we give away - no need to foul out wide and invite the pressure.

The other is frankly we have not got the rub of decisions in the penalty area since May 2023. The ref guessed where the ball hit Bernard. The angle from behind the goal shows him looking round about 3 players.

Can't properly tell on the 2nd but the fact it falls to Morris just sums it up.

Not going to be down hearted, keep playing like that, but need to get the 2nd goal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Even what out?

Well I mean the balance of decisions, not that any were pivotal in our favour.

I can't be the only one who pondered in the first half that a key decision will go against us.

The irony being if we get angry mad at the ref they usually keep going and make it worse

Some ridiculous officiating from the start.

Windass gets a toe in the face in the first half, but because he headed it it’s no foul but at any other game, anywhere else on the pitch, it’s a high boot. 

Then, Even if it’s a pen, and they’re level there’s the handball before Morris hits the winner. 

• Thanks 1

Strange isn’t it how we get homer refs when we play away but not when we play at home, not at this level anyway. Don’t think there’s an agenda against us but certainly some issues around other teams being a bit more intimidating than us. 

Edited by Chelters

How come when we try to pinch a yard at a throw in the ref was pushing us back yet every time hes letting them wander a good fifteen yards with the ball.

When we made the double substitution the ball went out by the corner flag and they restart play from almost the halfway line.

Fucking bent bastard.

Slowed down version of the Morris 2nd goal, clear control by his arm. 

4 pivotal decisions in the end, McGuiness hand ball, high boot on Windass, the pen / red card and hand ball for the winner.

But we have to defend crosses better, do that and we would not have this scenario

• Like 1

What a bag o'wank!  He completely surrendered the initiative by taking Bannan off after scoring. (Assuming not injured.) What signal did that send to both teams? To us: we're going to just sit back with ages left. To them: Can't believe they've taken him off! Let's go for it.  Game changed in that moment, even before the pen & red. 

4 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

What a bag o'wank!  He completely surrendered the initiative by taking Bannan off after scoring. (Assuming not injured.) What signal did that send to both teams? To us: we're going to just sit back with ages left. To them: Can't believe they've taken him off! Let's go for it.  Game changed in that moment, even before the pen & red. 

Have you admit I was very surprised he took Bannan off today, thought him & Charles ran the midfield today

40 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

We play like that for the rest of this season, then Wednesday will be a Championship team next season......

The only worry we've got are the officials.

It’s the fact we are now talking of avoiding relegation as the objective which is the most dissapointing thing for me. It’s true but ffs 

23 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I will disagree in that Bannan's legs are gone after an hour and Ingelsson did alright really. It was a like for like swap, not going defensive.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I will disagree in that Bannan's legs are gone after an hour and Ingelsson did alright really. It was a like for like swap, not going defensive.

That's not what I was talking about, pal.  Initiative. Momentum. Most of all: morale. Psychology. An important part of football. Abysmal timing on our part. Changed the balance of the game before the ref. put his destructive mark on it. 

Edited by Owling_Wolf

26 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I think Röhl must realise that he needs to switch them, start with Ingelsson and bring Bannan on later to control the game

6 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

That's not what I was talking about, pal.  Initiative. Momentum. Most of all: morale. Psychology. An important part of football. Abysmal timing on our part. Changed the balance of the game before the ref. put his destructive mark on it. 

Damned if you do damned if you don't I guess. Because it could be argued that putting on fresh legs was trying to keep the initiative. 

3 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Damned if you do damned if you don't I guess. Because it could be argued that putting on fresh legs was trying to keep the initiative. 

It wasn't today though: it meant we were going to just sit back and both sides knew it. So obvious in their respective body languages.

Well my eyes aren't the best but I don't think that was a penalty (looked to be just above the shirt sleeve line for me) or a sending off. Be interesting to see, if i'm right of course, what will happen should we appeal the red if we were to have conclusive evidence that he didn't handle the ball. If the red did get rescinded they'd be more or less saying the ref fucked up with catastrophic consequences for us, not to mention the other hand ball which I missed.

I was running the line at lad’s match today as I usually do. One of their coaches was a big bloke, arms thicker than my thighs. In the first half I gave a clear offside but he lost his shit about it.

In the second half I had to run the line on his side and he started at me. It put some doubt in my mind. On the next marginal decision am I going to be swayed, can I control the subconscious urge to just take the easy option and avoid the risk of getting clotheslined next time I run past him? Thankfully I didn’t let him get to me and gave the next offside right in front of him.

What the hell am I on about. Well for the ref at Kenilworth Road today, the Luton crowd were his brick shithouse of a coach chipping away at him. And he’s obviously let it get to him. The goal goes in with a minute to go, the crowd roars and the players run away. He can’t bring himself to blow that whistle and get the equivalent of the shit kicked out of him in the car park.

This is happening time and again. I don’t believe any ref is biased but I am increasingly believing that are just mentally not strong enough. Give me officious pompous fuckers like David Elleray instead of these meek gutless wonders. At least he could give a decision and stick to it. 

3 minutes ago, Chelters said:

I was running the line at lad’s match today as I usually do. One of their coaches was a big bloke, arms thicker than my thighs. In the first half I gave a clear offside but he lost his shit about it.

In the second half I had to run the line on his side and he started at me. It put some doubt in my mind. On the next marginal decision am I going to be swayed, can I control the subconscious urge to just take the easy option and avoid the risk of getting clotheslined next time I run past him? Thankfully I didn’t let him get to me and gave the next offside right in front of him.

What the hell am I on about. Well for the ref at Kenilworth Road today, the Luton crowd were his brick shithouse of a coach chipping away at him. And he’s obviously let it get to him. The goal goes in with a minute to go, the crowd roars and the players run away. He can’t bring himself to blow that whistle and get the equivalent of the shit kicked out of him in the car park.

This is happening time and again. I don’t believe any ref is biased but I am increasingly believing that are just mentally not strong enough. Give me officious pompous fuckers like David Elleray instead of these meek gutless wonders. At least he could give a decision and stick to it. 

Next time stick your flag up his arse, can’t stand some of these grassroot guardiolas 

2 minutes ago, Chelters said:

There was a moment in our game, after 1st half we'd dominated & got a lot of decisions, when he gave them one and got an enormous, sarcastic cheer from 3 sides of the ground. Maybe that was his moment of doubt.

1 minute ago, Owling_Wolf said:

There was a moment in our game, after 1st half we'd dominated & got a lot of decisions, when he gave them one and got an enormous, sarcastic cheer from 3 sides of the ground. Maybe that was his moment of doubt.

The irony being that happens at Hillsborough, the fuckers seem to enjoy it and make even worse decisions.

If you have get to see the pen, the ref guesses as he does not have a clear view and goes off the crowd reaction.

For the winner Palmer and Charles immediately claim handball by Morris, there is a degree of probability the ball breaks to him by handball by a tumbling Luton player

62 games without a pen, the record is 73 

Be interesting how many we have conceded in that time 

Not sure how accurate or where I read it (I do hope it wasn't on here), the record for not having a penalty awarded lies with Port Vale on 73 games, we're on 62 at the moment. Got me to wondering if there's any conclusions to be drawn from that, besides the obvious one of never being flavour of the month with the refs.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JBO said:

We'll get one in the 72nd game, they won't want us top of any list.

We'll miss it btw 

I think that is a given, that the keeper saves it against the bar, it bounces 40 yards up the pitch, two of our players collide leaving their striker one on one, who gets brought down by Beadle for a pen and red card

4 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I think Bannan picked up a slight injury at Blackpool other night, anyway I don't think taking him off affected the result as much as the referee did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chelters said:

I read something about the Luton staff being in to see him at HT too

11 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Watched the game with my best mate, an Ipswich supporter, who couldn’t believe how unlucky we were and how bent that ref was.

I said those exact words above to him, that we are jinxed. I even said to him at 1-0 up we’d fuck it up and lose 2-1. 24 years of being outside of the Premier League and we still look nowhere near getting back there. If there’s an unluckier club than SWFC then I’ll be damned if I can name it.

We deserved to win that game today and yet we somehow lost it. We don’t get penalties, we always seem to be the side on the end of shit refereeing decisions and how often does luck go against us, rather than for us? It happens so often that it doesn’t even come as a surprise or shock anymore! 

Is your best mate Ed Sheeran? He was from West Yaarkshire too.

4 hours ago, Bellsview said:

Nah, he’s from Ipswich.

For some reason Ipswich supporters tend to be from Ipswich you dopey ****!

Ed Sheeran is from Halifax and supports Ipswich you daft ****.  

Edited by Reesh

The bigger picture for the season will emerge after the next 3 games before the next international break.

Can't say the fixtures look too great 

West Brom H

Bristol City A

Coventry A

The best performance of last season was v the Baggies but we still rode our luck at times and they ain't in the flip flops this time.

Those 2 away games at places where my memory serves are not great hunting grounds anyway, in the space of 4 days as well. Not great odds.

The reality is we could be P 9 Pts 4 and we would be in the bottom 3.

The first game after Burnley

The Championship will always be on fine margins and are we just on the wrong side of both in each penalty area. The pressure will up on Rohl, we can question selections, tactics, subs but is the grim reality the 5% lack of quality telling.

9 hours ago, owl71 said:

Other decisions are debatable, but the winning goal gets disallowed with VAR for sure.  Fuck off and die Rick Parry.

Parachute refereeing, another reward for being shit in the Prem. Blades getting plenty of it too.