Unconscious bias

I was at the q/f replay as well.  It was horrendous outside although we got away unscathed.

Said then, and I'll say it again - 'knowledgeable fans' my arse.  (they were called that by the media at the time)

And @Owling_Wolf is quite right. I too was at the "We said we'd be back, and we are" game the season after.  All us Wednesday fans also chanting 'Zulu, Zulu' to Grobbelaar, who in fairness joined in by doing a Zulu dance until Varadi scored that ever so sloooowly over the line goal which seemed to take forever to cross the line at the game.

Anyway - back on topic, I just think as a club we're too 'nice'.  Always have been, always will be.  We think Pato as being good at shithousery, he's an amateur compared to other teams/ clubs. This is our biggest downfall

15 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I’m not saying visits to Everton were never uneventful, or maybe it’s the mists of time, but I don’t recall any out of the ordinary issues compared to visiting the other half of scouseland. Am I misremembering?
It’s a good point re the changing of perspective in the last 15 years, ie since it became clearer that plod and the Govt had covered things up. What seems to be overlooked by them is the club probably had no choice in the matter and that Hillsborough was was chosen to play the semi final by the FA because the alternatives weren’t that great.

Whilst it’s awful what happened to everyone and their families on that day, it was hardly SWFC fans and the club of todays fault.

Re. Everton: I don't think you are, Tank, but then the only trouble at all I've been close to inside Anfield was caused by a shithouse fairly senior copper who was stopping us seeing the game by standing up right in front of us when we were right at the front. Threatened to have the next one who spoke thrown outside. Another arsehole.

That said, we went away to both grounds right through the 'nineties, always went in pubs and never saw any aggro.  The only hassle we ever got was from wasps one day and regularly from little shitehawks wanting money to 'mind your car, mister'.  

Wasp day was hilarious. Outside a pub one hot summer day, (first away game that season: lost 0-1?), our mate Steve was backing away from an alcoholic wasp until the back of both knees hit the rim of a large concrete plantpot with a small tree in it. He ended up sat in the plantpot, his back wedged against the sapling, his knees right under his chin, still holding his pint out of the way of the persistent insect.  Me and the other lad were absolutely helpless, almost as folded over as he was!   

12 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Thanks for putting that under my name!  🙄

Sorry if you don't agree with my change. 

But I'm sick and tired of "Hillsborough" happened. 

Hillsborough didn't happen, it was caused by factors made by the choices of others. 

3 minutes ago, MAL said:

Sorry if you don't agree with my change. 

But I'm sick and tired of "Hillsborough" happened. 

Hillsborough didn't happen, it was caused by factors made by the choices of others. 

True - Like Grenfell, for all the problems with the cladding etc if the Fire Service has evacuated everyone when the fire was first reported there wouldn't have been any deaths.

Probably went to Anfield and Goodison 7 or 8 times in the 90s and never saw any of the trouble / animosity.  We usually drank in The Arkle and always had a decent welcome. 

Couple of my mates had too much there one pre match and tried to get in at Anfield before realising it was Everton we were playing.

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

The following season we were indeed back there and beat the European Champions 2-0 on their own patch, with a major crowd of us singing, "We said, 'We'll be back', and we are, and we are."  That felt fantastic. Sadly, some of our number discovered why it's nicknamed 'Stanley knife Park'.  Some of ours had been attacked in the shared stand the year before: they waited until 90% of us had gone down the steps at the end and then charged the remaining men, women & children. Cowards.

And all that was before the Hillsborough tragedy. 

I'm sure you're wrong. It will have been some pesky Chelsea fans, same as at Heysel

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Andyben said:

True - Like Grenfell, for all the problems with the cladding etc if the Fire Service has evacuated everyone when the fire was first reported there wouldn't have been any deaths.

A lot of problems with the cladding and how the overall system was designed 

Bit of an inside track from the good guys I know and trying to retro fit properly.

The fire service advice was based on regulations being followed

7 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Probably went to Anfield and Goodison 7 or 8 times in the 90s and never saw any of the trouble / animosity.  We usually drank in The Arkle and always had a decent welcome. 

Couple of my mates had too much there one pre match and tried to get in at Anfield before realising it was Everton we were playing.

I’ve never had any bother at either of the clubs across Stanley Park, but always remember Everton with a little more fondness, they don’t seem to be as bitter about everything 

22 hours ago, Reesh said:

The two things are related I'm guessing and how long did the PTSD last?

I've only been back to Stocksbridge once since and that was to play football. That was about 10 years later and nothing had changed. 

Coach was heading back to Sheffield but the driver wouldn't let me stay on. Managed to get to Pond Street just in time for the last bus home. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I’ve never had any bother at either of the clubs across Stanley Park, but always remember Everton with a little more fondness, they don’t seem to be as bitter about everything 

I've always found with Liverpool supporters it's the sense of entitlement and the fact they think nothing/no-one can touch them. 

Filmed throwing local pensioners into fountains in Barca - wasn't us la. 

Being filmed scaling the walls at Wembley to get - must have been Everton wearing red scarves. 

Petrol bombing away team coaches

Blitz raids on sports shops in Paris, and every other European city they visited, just so they could flog nicked Trimm Trabs and Borg Elite when they got home. Deny everything then 20 years later appear on documentaries saying it were a bit of a laugh doing it. 

Heysel

They were solely responsible for Thatcher telling the FA to pull clubs out of Europe indefinitely before UEFA said five years. Their actions also almost led to the introduction of id cards and restriction of movement 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

I've only been back to Stocksbridge once since and that was to play football. That was about 10 years later and nothing had changed. 

Coach was heading back to Sheffield but the driver wouldn't let me stay on. Managed to get to Pond Street just in time for the last bus home. 

Must have been the week before we got electric.

• Haha 3