Are there ‘too many games’?

Just watching SSN and they’re talking about Rodri being injured for City and maybe missing the whole season. There’s talk of ACL injuries happening more as a direct link to players being fatigued. 

Do we think clubs and / or players will soon say, stop, when it comes to extra champions league games? Or will they back out of the FA/League cup? Or even the club World Cup?

They should do what teams lower down the pyramid do, put the kids out, sacrifice the competitions that don't matter to you.

There was a reasonable chance for us to get to a semi final last season, bit we put the kids out due to 3 games in 6 days and the league being more important.

If a skint L1 team can play a minimum of 51 games in a season, with rules in place FROM THE PREMIER LEAGUE to ensure first team players play, so can the higher teams with much better capability to handle it. Didn't Peterborough play 60 odd games last season?

No byes, 2 legs. 72 teams in the league have to prioritise what they compete for, the other 20 should too.

There are different arguments here on whether there is too much football. The player fatigue is one angle. 

I have long argued that the EFL should revert to a 42 game season. Ok that would mean 6 clubs dropping out as the EPL would not expand of course. I simply think the 4 extra midweek games that creates add very little in value to the competition. Would you actually miss a midweek game in  November thru to March. Those spells where it's 5 games in 2 weeks. Is the football quality compromised during those intense spells. We definitely know the FA Cup gets compromised as a result.

Any gap in the calendar and clubs would fill it with money spinning friendlies, thousands of miles away in completely different time zones. Players can't refuse to play in those as they're contracted to the club. 

There was a motion tabled, straight after covid, to increase squad sizes to 30 to enable better rotation but it was voted against as bigger wage bills and more player recruitment were cited by lower clubs. A motion was then put forward to be able to instantly 'sub' a player on a squad list if he's deemed to be out for at least half a season but again this was shot down and list changes can only be made in the window unless permission is given by the league. 

The point in the Championship does more mean better ? 

Some of the most dreadful games are the midweek ones, the crowds for many are poor. This will get worse as the Sky Stream and Firestick.com drag more people on to the sofa. 

I know some folk would go to any and every game, but the question is would you really miss a Tuesday night game in February, have to travel to Bristol City next week etc, especially as the transport network fucks you over. 

Would 2 less games radically change how much you pay for a season ticket - maybe it would 

The fact is I could in theory watch football every single night this week, some undoubtedly will but there is so much I now pick and choose. The Euros this summer much less of an event for me, due to the quantum of games. 

• Like 1

As a supporter I would say yes, like already mentioned make the EFL a 42 game season, many midweek games in EFL are poorly attended.  As for the players I have heard players say many times that they prefer playing games than training. 

Premier league clubs play fewer games anyway, especially those not involved in European competitions but you still see these clubs playing weakened teams in the FA and EFL Cups. To most of Premier league clubs staying up is far more important than getting to a cup final, this is something unheard of 30 to 40 years ago. 

After taking away FA Cup replays the PL have 'gifted' the National League The National League Cup. Prize money equates to just over £62k a team. 

16 PL/Championship u21 teams and 16 National League sides will play in groups then a knockout, all midweek games. 

Trouble is they're holding the group stage rounds at the same type as Champions League fixtures and a PL midweek round so the crowds will be minimal. Eastleigh and Gateshead have already said it'll cost more to host a game than the revenue they'll get in. 

12 hours ago, Chelters said:

There are actually fewer domestic games for the top clubs than there used to be. The increase is due to European games but, for some reason I can’t quite put my finger on, they don’t seem to complain about those. 

Be interesting if the novelty of the full league format wears off fairly quickly. Playing that part until January I believe, be interesting if there is some proper winter weather that disrupts it

I think for me what is clear is that in this whole scenario of more games, etc etc.... The people that aren't consulted are the ones who fork out the extra cash to go to these games! 

Re the TV stuff, as MK mentioned. Yeah, there's games on all the time.. But I probably watch LESS footy on TV now than I have done in a long time, it's oversaturated with it. It's made me less of a fan of the game, than more of a fan if I'm honest because of it. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I think for me what is clear is that in this whole scenario of more games, etc etc.... The people that aren't consulted are the ones who fork out the extra cash to go to these games! 

Re the TV stuff, as MK mentioned. Yeah, there's games on all the time.. But I probably watch LESS footy on TV now than I have done in a long time, it's oversaturated with it. It's made me less of a fan of the game, than more of a fan if I'm honest because of it. 

Absolutely agree.  Couldn't give a toss about the Chumps League. It was exciting when it was just the Champions and was a knockout competition, less so when they made it a league and I wouldn't push a button to watch any of it now.  

They don't learn lessons from other 'sports'. Not comparing the sports themselves but there are parallels.  When snooker and darts were first broadcast in a modern way - 1970s? - they were immensely popular. So they showed more and more until they eventually  just became 'wallpaper'.  Something that was just 'on' but no-one was actually watching them.  That's where Euro club stuff is for me now.  And having different level versions of it and now a World version?  Zzzzzzzzz....

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Absolutely agree.  Couldn't give a toss about the Chumps League. It was exciting when it was just the Champions and was a knockout competition, less so when they made it a league and I wouldn't push a button to watch any of it now.  

They don't learn lessons from other 'sports'. Not comparing the sports themselves but there are parallels.  When snooker and darts were first broadcast in a modern way - 1970s? - they were immensely popular. So they showed more and more until they eventually  just became 'wallpaper'.  Something that was just 'on' but no-one was actually watching them.  That's where Euro club stuff is for me now.  And having different level versions of it and now a World version?  Zzzzzzzzz....

I mean there was a balance going back to my yoof when there was only the FA Cup Final and England v Scotland home international on live. Maybe the European Cup final if a British team was in it. That was shit.

I mean the 2 games on Sunday afternoon from October thru March when it's cold, dark and pissing it down outside are vital to surviving life !

But like you say there is now so much that the stuff that you once looked forward to eg the Euros this summer just became vanilla.

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I am similar.  Very rarely watch a full game at any level on TV.  I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to watch any and only tend tip dip in for part of a game if not doing anything.

This is where the Sky Sport + and ridiculous 12.30pm kick offs really do my head in.  Realistically how many other than supporters of the club watch these games.  I would love to see the viewing figures.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I am similar.  Very rarely watch a full game at any level on TV.  I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to watch any and only tend tip dip in for part of a game if not doing anything.

This is where the Sky Sport + and ridiculous 12.30pm kick offs really do my head in.  Realistically how many other than supporters of the club watch these games.  I would love to see the viewing figures.  

Meanwhile the ridiculous kickoffs are going to eventually spoil the traditional match going crowds, or at least water them down. 

I'm at a much relished gig on Friday night and remember being peed off when I noticed that WBA was 12.30.  And that would have been double if away.

54 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Got to say I agree on the 7 EFL games kicking off at 12.30 adds nothing really. I get having 1 to compete against TNT Sports and the EPL game.

I guess it's better than a multitude of obscure kick off times so that there is a unique time slot for each game, but I can't fathom what Sky gets out of this

43 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Got to say I agree on the 7 EFL games kicking off at 12.30 adds nothing really. I get having 1 to compete against TNT Sports and the EPL game.

I guess it's better than a multitude of obscure kick off times so that there is a unique time slot for each game, but I can't fathom what Sky gets out of this

A power rush? 'Cos they can?

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Meanwhile the ridiculous kickoffs are going to eventually spoil the traditional match going crowds, or at least water them down. 

I'm at a much relished gig on Friday night and remember being peed off when I noticed that WBA was 12.30.  And that would have been double if away.

Its not just the crowd either - what about the pubs and chippies etc. that don't get the same level of business when there is a 12.30pm kick off.   

1 hour ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Its not just the crowd either - what about the pubs and chippies etc. that don't get the same level of business when there is a 12.30pm kick off.   

Good shout, H12p. They don't give a shout about any of that, either.

Edited by Owling_Wolf