Gigs

Got the Roll & Roll Circus thing booked on the Richard Hawley night. Divine Comedy are also on the bill.

And got The The at Birdwell booked for September too - proper looking forward to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BraddersTim said:

I might have mentioned that I'm looking forward to The The in Manchester in September.

My wife, less so, she got them mixed up with Crowded House  😂

That’s quite a mix up.

Not much for the summer, some of the festival line ups intrigue me, but having done a day trip to one to test it out, me and Mrs MK decided we like our home comforts too much.

Got my old faves of The Wedding Present, Shed Seven and The Wonder Stuff lined up for the autumn.

I have thankfully swerved the Luther Vandross tribute that Mrs MK is suffering on Friday 

58 minutes ago, Fat Eric said:

Shed Seven were excellent in the Radio 2 piano room last week, well worth a listen back if you missed it.

Did catch it thanks 

New album is pretty good as well 

On 30/05/2024 at 07:27, mkowl said:

Not much for the summer, some of the festival line ups intrigue me, but having done a day trip to one to test it out, me and Mrs MK decided we like our home comforts too much.

Got my old faves of The Wedding Present, Shed Seven and The Wonder Stuff lined up for the autumn.

I have thankfully swerved the Luther Vandross tribute that Mrs MK is suffering on Friday 

The Wonder Stuff live are very very good - Erica Nockalls takes them to a different level. Not bad for a Donny lass.

Just back from Barcelona and Primavera Sound, Pulp were superb on the opening night, JC on top form, a fantastic frontman, we managed to get right to the front too which added to it, not as strong a line up as previous years this one but other highlights were - The National, Amyl & The Sniffers and the Lemon Twigs, PJ Harvey was amazing on the Saturday night despite the heavy rain.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2024 at 12:21, BraddersTim said:

I might have mentioned that I'm looking forward to The The in Manchester in September.

My wife, less so, she got them mixed up with Crowded House  😂

When you told her, did she have an uncertain smile?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@EpworthOwlI've enquired about the various memberships available at CoOp Live as it was a great venue apart from the seats, as there's a number of clubs/lounges and boxes available on the middle tier that give you more access and room

Edited by Andyben

15 hours ago, EpworthOwl said:

When you told her, did she have an uncertain smile?

You know what's coming on gig day don't you?   I'll give her a little prod in the ribs, a cheeky wink and I'll say "This is the day"

She won't get it.

• Haha 1

Went to Mos Fest at Don Valley Bowl last Saturday - a great day and shame it was the last one.  Stand outs were Andrew Cushin, The Twang, Jungle Lion and Sam Scherdel.  Amazingly Dr and the Medics were very entertaining.

Also went on Friday to The Sherlocks gig at the same venue. Only went for main support Red Rum Club.  All the support acts (RRC, Lilacs, The Clause & Apollo Junction)  were better than The Sherlocks who were shite !!

Andrew Cushin is very good, i've seen him a couple of times and would definitely watch him again.  I also saw Apollo Junction at a small place in Sheffield ( I forget which) a few years ago and liked them, Black Honey played just after them though and they were fantastic.

I just can't get excited about The Sherlocks, they just seem a bit boring.

6 hours ago, BraddersTim said:

Andrew Cushin is very good, i've seen him a couple of times and would definitely watch him again.  I also saw Apollo Junction at a small place in Sheffield ( I forget which) a few years ago and liked them, Black Honey played just after them though and they were fantastic.

I just can't get excited about The Sherlocks, they just seem a bit boring.

I'm always surprised how well The Sherlocks have done, can't really see anything in them myself.

Interesting on a more general level that the likes of Pearl Jam whacked up ticket prices - well Ticketmaster / Live Nation did - now dropping them to £50.

Be interesting the financial position of some of the summer festivals pan out. A few cancellations, a few saying its the last year. A trend of 18 - 25 year old less inclined to go.

Yet others spend hundreds on seeing Taylor Swift - 

I'm not normally a fan of tribute bands but saw The Smiths Ltd at the Leadmill last night, seen them a few times before and they've been brilliant everytime, great atmosphere and a singalong throughout.

7 hours ago, 80s Owl said:

I'm not normally a fan of tribute bands but saw The Smiths Ltd at the Leadmill last night, seen them a few times before and they've been brilliant everytime, great atmosphere and a singalong throughout.

I think if the actual band are no longer active as in this case then it's an OK option 

11 hours ago, 80s Owl said:

Yes, they are very good.  Did Transmission (Joy Division tribute) support as  know they quite often do. 

The Smiths ... Presumably are good too.

Best tribute I have seen is The Gerry Cinnamon Experience.

On 14/06/2024 at 20:09, Reesh said:

Old men slagging off young lads....Well done fellas.

Hardly slagging off and Sherlocks been around long enough not to be classed as young lads.  Plus I think majority of other acts mentioned were being praised.

Agree on the old men bit. 

12 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Yes, they are very good.  Did Transmission (Joy Division tribute) support as  know they quite often do. 

The Smiths ... Presumably are good too.

Best tribute I have seen is The Gerry Cinnamon Experience.

It was just The Smith Ltd this time no support, they played the main room as well which surprised me.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a gig as such but spent a very good hour in the sunshine listening to The Moochers busking in Nottingham city centre. 

If you've not heard of them, and I hadn't, they're like The Dualers used to be before the split. 

2 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Only watched on TV.  Paul Heaton was a good watch.

Idles and Fontaines DC off the scale.

Idles was genuinely one of the best gigs I’ve been to and I’m not that into them. Noname and Danny Brown also great. 

Fat White Family, Yard Act, Orbital and Barry Can’t Swim. Maybe White Dog, if I can stay up late enough. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Supercockle said:

Idles was genuinely one of the best gigs I’ve been to and I’m not that into them. Noname and Danny Brown also great. 

Fat White Family, Yard Act, Orbital and Barry Can’t Swim. Maybe White Dog, if I can stay up late enough. 

Yard Act and Orbital both a good watch on TV 

• Like 1

Been to a very intimate gig (maybe 35 or so capacity) at Read bookshop in Holmfirth today.

The Bookshop Band - a husband and wife duo whose songs are all based on books.

If folk/acoustic is your thing check them out.

Just had my 2 weeks of gigs. 1st was the Killers at CoOp live in Manchester. Backed up by Travis who were superb, the Killers were fantastic. Brandon Flowers is such a presence on stage. A real mix of old and new. The venue is awesome. 35k indoors wow! We were quite close to the stage which added to the experience. A nod to Bowie as one of the ticker tape cannons fired out a load of Ziggy Stardust lightening tickers.

The following Sunday, Sting at Sherwood Forest. Incredible at 73! He played all the old hits and his voice has held out much better than others his age *must be all that tantric stuff. 

The next Saturday Pink at Hampden Park. We has gold circle tickets so about 12 feet fron the stage. The whole show was fantastic. The Script backed her who were very good. Dannys a right showman. Pink was fantastic her whole stages how is incredible. How she does the acrobatics and doesn't drop a note is awesome.

20240623_210416.jpg

20240619_195020.jpg

20240619_221428.jpg

20240629_224433.jpg

20240619_221945.jpg

20240629_213518.jpg

20240619_223436.jpg

20240623_204949.jpg

20240629_214734.jpg

20240619_210604.jpg

• Like 1

Travis headlined Sunday at Bingley Weekender last Summer.  I thought they'd be a bit "vanilla" but they were brilliant, just what was needed.  On the back of that we've booked tickets to go and see them in Leeds in December. 

If Dave Grohl is correct then the Taylor Swifts and potentially Pinks of this world may not necessarily cough splutter sing live 

Tbh the audiences are going to be there for the overall spectacle so probably don't care