Gigs

Had a day at Tramlines today in the lovely weather, saw Maximo Park, Example (not something I'd normally listen to but enjoyed it) our very Human League who were on goo form and Snow Patrol a band who've dropped out of the limelight but put a great show on and Gary Lightbody came across very well.

On 28/07/2024 at 23:45, 80s Owl said:

Had a day at Tramlines today in the lovely weather, saw Maximo Park, Example (not something I'd normally listen to but enjoyed it) our very Human League who were on goo form and Snow Patrol a band who've dropped out of the limelight but put a great show on and Gary Lightbody came across very well.

You certainly picked the best of the 3 days.  Snow Patrol were easily the best of the Main Stage Headliners.  Paolo Nutini was apparently as boring as f**k on Friday - I was watching The Charlatans - and Jamie T was a car crash on Saturday.

The others you mentioned were all excellent. 

Stand outs from the other days were The Charlatans, Soft Play and Dylan John Thomas on Friday and Tom Grennan, The Snuts and Peace on Saturday.  

8 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

You certainly picked the best of the 3 days.  Snow Patrol were easily the best of the Main Stage Headliners.  Paolo Nutini was apparently as boring as f**k on Friday - I was watching The Charlatans - and Jamie T was a car crash on Saturday.

The others you mentioned were all excellent. 

Stand outs from the other days were The Charlatans, Soft Play and Dylan John Thomas on Friday and Tom Grennan, The Snuts and Peace on Saturday.  

We were talking to a family who we know when we first arrived who had done the full weekend and said pretty much the same, Nutini did a load of slow new stuff and Jamie started obnoxiously ranting and lost the crowd (he was off his t*ts as well allegedly) surely for a festival audience you play your known stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Andyben said:

Oasis at Wembley, Murrayfield & Glastonbury next year...wonder if they'll warn fans about turning up in snide stoney

This alone should sort the Columbia GDP for 2025.

15 year old Daughter is pestering the life out of me to go to this one.  Not sure can be arsed as Liam could not sing 20 years ago and has got worse.  A new guitarist is not going to help that.

19 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

15 year old Daughter is pestering the life out of me to go to this one.  Not sure can be arsed as Liam could not sing 20 years ago and has got worse.

same here. must be a 90's revival. TBH I'm looking forward to 30th Anniversary release of Definitely Maybe this friday but didn't rate them at all after that

12 minutes ago, Andyben said:

same here. must be a 90's revival. TBH I'm looking forward to 30th Anniversary release of Definitely Maybe this friday but didn't rate them at all after that

Definitely Maybe is a classic as well as part of Morning Glory, interestingly wrote at a very similar time.  Be Here Now onwards with the odd exception were poor IMO.  Some of the early B Sides were crackers too - Masterplan, Acquiesce, Rocking Chair etc.

Seen them 3 times inc Knebworth and was never blown away.  More great days out than a great gig.   

6 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I mean I understand the appeal but they are no The Smiths or The Stone Roses 

Perhaps showing my age 

Agree.  Now if we were talking about The Smiths or The Jam getting back together that would be a whole different proposal. 

The Stone Roses Reunion though was pretty horrendous. 

It is probably an age thing, my peak music years were 1985 to 1992, but as an Indie fan that Britpop era was great to see that music in the mainstream, before it imploded from their own excesses.

So if you were a teenager or early 20s then I get the excitement over this. If your own kids are older then not only can you escape to gigs again, you can drag them along.

You only live once and if you can be 18 again and be daft for a day enjoy it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mkowl said:

It is probably an age thing, my peak music years were 1985 to 1992, but as an Indie fan that Britpop era was great to see that music in the mainstream, before it imploded from their own excesses.

So if you were a teenager or early 20s then I get the excitement over this. If your own kids are older then not only can you escape to gigs again, you can drag them along.

You only live once and if you can be 18 again and be daft for a day enjoy it

I go to more Gigs than ever post Covid.   Initially prompted by my lad getting into music and going with him.  He is now 18 and his tastes have deviated from mine a little so he does his own thing.  He likes a lot of the shouty Post Punk stuff - Idles, Soft Play, Fontaines etc.

My 15 year old Daughter has replaced him though.  Her favourites are The K's, Courteeners, Gerry Cinnamon plus Oasis, Stone Roses etc like a lot of 14-16 year olds.  It is her that is desperate to go to the Oasis Gig - me less so. 

Think ultimately it will be ticket prices that dictate if I try.  £80 mark and will probably try for 2 tickets - if north of £130 then probably not.

22 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I go to more Gigs than ever post Covid.   Initially prompted by my lad getting into music and going with him.  He is now 18 and his tastes have deviated from mine a little so he does his own thing.  He likes a lot of the shouty Post Punk stuff - Idles, Soft Play, Fontaines etc.

My 15 year old Daughter has replaced him though.  Her favourites are The K's, Courteeners, Gerry Cinnamon plus Oasis, Stone Roses etc like a lot of 14-16 year olds.  It is her that is desperate to go to the Oasis Gig - me less so. 

Think ultimately it will be ticket prices that dictate if I try.  £80 mark and will probably try for 2 tickets - if north of £130 then probably not.

My boss went to see Morgan Wallen, whoever that is, and the mid-range tickets were $400 each. I'd expect Oasis ones to be similar if they make it to the US. 

Think I paid $50 for New Found Glory last week. 

1 hour ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I'd heard £140 each for Oasis tickets.

Scratch that, 86.50 plus fees for Ireland so must be similar for the gigs in England.

Hotels are seriously milking it, saw NGHFB at Heaton Park a couple of years ago, stayed at the crappy hotel the other side of the M60 roundabout for about £100, same hotel for the Oasis gigs are quoting £628 per night 

33 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

That's me out.  Could sit in South Stand for a Cat A game for that !!

Surely Ireland being 85 Euros  means UK will be similar ?

Not if cost to hire venue, staff it and police it is significantly less.

Looks like London 100quid, manc 150

• Like 1

I’ll wait for the Europe tour and go and see them in the national stadium in Warsaw.

I was tempted, and did the pre sale registration, but there are far more deserving people than me who will want tickets, so I will hold off until they come to my part of the world.

Just got back from the Rock and Roll Circus at the Don Valley Bowl.

Richard Hawley magnificent as usual, and of course finished off with an “up the Owls”.

The other main stage acts, Divine Comedy and The Coral were very good too, and even 77 year old Gilbert O’Sullivan was entertaining.

Pick of the minor stages acts for me were Bromheads Jacket, very energetic, fast and loud.

Edited by cheat

On 20/03/2024 at 10:26, HarrySpeakup said:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

First Direct Arena L**ds - 2nd November 2024

Not toured the UK for 7 years

New album out on 30th August

New album Wild God out now!

Stunning - can't wait for the gig

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cheat said:

Just got back from the Rock and Roll Circus at the Don Valley Bowl.

Richard Hawley magnificent as usual, and of course finished off with an “up the Owls”.

The other main stage acts, Divine Comedy and The Coral were very good too, and even 77 year old Gilbert O’Sullivan was entertaining.

Pick of the minor stages acts for me were Bromheads Jacket, very energetic, fast and loud.

I'm off the RnR Circus tomorrow.  Decent line up for me.  Bit pricey though and annoyed we did not wait for the influx of cheap tickets.   Wife is going today though to see Becky Hill for a fiver so brought average ticket cost down. 

Never seen Richard Hawley but love Standing at the Skys Edge musical.

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint

Got on for Wembley 2nd Aug.  I'm not that bothered but told Daughter would go if could get the 'cheap' £75 seats.  Offered me some at £240 each then £170 each !!  Could have got pitch.  Feel bad as was in but didn't buy any.

Honestly thought with the volume anyone who wanted one would have got one.  Can't believe the demand.  

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint

1 hour ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I queued all night for U2 tickets at Sheffied Arena in 1992 (I think). 

Got in queue at 10.30pm Friday night and think was 11.30am Saturday morning when we got tickets.  

Sure we went straight to pub then Wednesday game after.

I mean it did mean real fans got the tickets but it was still a bit shit 

8 hours ago, Skamp said:

Who gets a cut though?  Does Ticketmaster keep the lot above the originally set price (just like a ticket tout) or does Oasis (just like a ticket tout)?

It's both of them get it Skamp, Ticketmaster and Oasis, apparently they did it with Springsteen tickets too but that didn't create the mass hysteria that Saturday did, Taylor Swift didn't want it but loads of hers ended up on secondary seller sites at massively inflated prices.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I queued all night for U2 tickets at Sheffied Arena in 1992 (I think). 

Got in queue at 10.30pm Friday night and think was 11.30am Saturday morning when we got tickets.  

Sure we went straight to pub then Wednesday game after.

Way to announce you have no musical taste, did you get free semtex at the gig?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Only one block.

Think it was same night you were being a groupie at the Erasure Gig ?

I saw them in 1986 - just as they got famous 

When Andy Bell sang Give Me a Man After Midnight he would have not picked a fat lad from Sheffield I am sure. I would have run a mile just taken about an hour 

4 hours ago, Southy_SWFC said:

Sophie Ellis-Bextor is playing near me in October. Is she worth seeing? 

You in the US ?

If so Murder on the Dance floor may be an actual reality not a song.

Not my musical taste but if she creates a decent vibe live then why not, presuming the ticket price is sane of course

• Haha 1